COS

April 18, 2012

My sister Jordan introduced me to COS and I’m kind of obsessed. (Jordan always knows about the coolest things!) Have you heard of it? Apparently, they’re a higher end line by the H&M people. They carry clothes for men, women and children, and a selection of other really beautiful things.

The clothing feels special. Every piece has interesting draping, or an asymmetric cut, or some fantastic detail to set it apart.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the train to Paris and spent the day running around with Jordan — no kids. It was amazing! She showed me tons of the best shopping spots and we just had a really good time hanging out, talking about France, what’s next, and our websites.

And we spent way too much time trying on clothes at COS. Especially dresses. I think I tried on 12! They’re the sort of dresses you really have to try on, because they look so different on the hanger. I bought the green dress with the zippers. It looks a little boring and boxy sitting there, but I feel so cool and chic when I wear it!

If you’d like to see where we went, Jordan wrote up the whole itinerary here (I’ve bookmarked it so I can follow the same route with Ben Blair!).

P.S. — Don’t be mad at me, but COS only ships to Europe right now. Maybe you can find a European penpal and ship stuff to their house, and then have them ship it on to you. : )

1 Valerie (all mussed up) April 18, 2012 at 2:01 am

I have a mod houndstooth dress with a similarly random, cool zipper that I found from them in the Netherlands — very fitting that it’s houndstooth, because ooh la la, the COS dresses are simply toothsome!

2 nora April 18, 2012 at 2:33 am

Hmm, I had to realize that there’s this strange COS phenomenon. Sometimes I walk in there and could buy the whole store. And sometimes everything looks kind of boxy and boring and I leave empty handed. Fortunately there’s a COS store in Cologne, so I can check it out on a regular basis :)

3 Jillian In Italy April 18, 2012 at 2:53 am

Gorgeous dresses and really amazing prices. And I live in Europe! Now off to do some online shopping…

4 Starr April 18, 2012 at 3:41 am

If anybody wants to set up a shipping exchange, I live in the UK.

5 Tiffany. May 17, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hey, that would be awesome if you would still be interested in setting up a shipping exchange. Get back to me and let me know1

Thanks.

6 Christine April 18, 2012 at 3:51 am

I lOve this idea of setting up shopping pen pals (commerce pp?). So often I want stuff from the States, so it could work in reverse.

I’m a SAHM in the UK. I’m up for this also.

Im glad you said the stuff had to be tried on, I was thinking the photos weren’t doing the clothes justice!

7 Sandra April 18, 2012 at 5:52 am

These are beautiful – just up my alley for style. Simple but with a twist – some whimsy or some edge. Like the clothes at MUJI that I have purchased. Wish I was in Europe to take a peak in real life…

8 kim April 18, 2012 at 6:10 am

I would love to set up a shipping exchange! We live near Minneapolis, and I have a PayPal account. :) Let the shopping begin!

I have two pieces by COS (from the Cologne store) and I love them both so much. One is a beautiful drapey cashmere sweater and the other a black tee. Both are classic but it’s all in the details: The lovely boatneck, the wide band at the bottom, the adorable “thumb-holes” for cold days when the wide wristband can be brought down over the hand.

9 Tiffany. May 17, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Ahh, im so intrigued .
if your still up to set up a shipping exchange please let me know!

10 Emjay April 18, 2012 at 6:40 am

What a timely post as I couldn’t resist heading into COS yesterday here in Brussels. It’s especially great for shirts, dresses, and tunics. Has anyone had success with their bottoms because I haven’t?

11 Christa the BabbyMama April 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

Love it all! But first I’d have to be able to splurge on H&M’s lower end line and work my way up! Darn budget…

12 everton terrace April 18, 2012 at 8:05 am

I like the first two very much. My mother is going home to England this summer, might put her on the hunt for me :)

13 Lucy Mitchell April 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hey, if you like COS style, you should check out the Boden site (I think they have actual shops in the UK but I live in Ireland so only know the site). Their bags and wallets are great, Orla Keily-ish but cheaper!
Anyone got any shopping tips for Barcelona?

14 Deirdre April 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

I LOVE the idea of a shopping exchange! I live in Brooklyn – we have Bird! :-)

I am currently trying to pin an oversized sheer top to Pinterest. I am obsessed thanks to this post!

15 Barchbo April 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

Attractive, simple clothing that’s not boring! Thanks for sharing!

16 Dana April 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

Lovely! You know what’s next: photos of you in the green dress…get styling, sister!

17 Justyn April 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

COS makes me happy.

18 unfounddoor April 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hmm, they look so nice – simple with a twist, reminds me of some Marni – but i struggle with their tops and dresses, it seems they don’t like the shape of my chest. But I have seen people really making them work (so I keep trying!)

19 Traveling Mama April 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

Yes! We have one here and I was just in there a couple days ago drooling over EVERYTHING! Did you check out their kids clothes and the women’s lounge/sleepwear is TO DIE FOR! I think their prices were very reasonable, especially given the materials and the quality! So glad you and your sister had some special time together. Are you guys going back to the States soon as well?

20 Sharon @ Discovering April 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Ohhh, that grey and blue dress looks ADORABLE! But I’d want to try it on before just buying it, since returning it from NJ isn’t too easy.

21 Tara April 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Ahhh! I’m so excited. I’ve never heard of COS–will have to take advantage for my last few months of European living. And even better, I’m so excited about the itinerary. My hubby and I are taking our first trip away (sensa bambini) for our anniversary, and we’re coming to Paris for a weekend in two short weeks. Can I talk him into spending half a day visiting some of these shops? I sure hope so!!! Thanks, Gabrielle!!

22 Jordana @ White Cabana April 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I ADORE this brand and it makes me sad that we can’t get it here in Canada. I featured COS earlier this week…COS love all around!
Glad you had fun – and did a bit of shopping – while in Paris!

Jordana

23 Joolz April 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I’ve been reading both your blog and Oh Happy Day for a few months and wondered if you knew each other, with the whole design/LDS thing going on- I had no idea you two were sisters!

24 julie r April 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm

*GASP*!! what FABulous, classy dresses! and oh boy, am i ever jealous of you two running around Paris sans kiddos…how FUN!

25 Carly April 19, 2012 at 5:02 am

I used to be the Visual Manager at Cos in London and it was great. I have a wardrobe and boxes under the bed full of pieces. I sometimes sell the odd piece on ebay so look out for a mention of a sale.

The cashmere is the best, they do 100% cashmere scarves and jumpers every winter and I can’t stop buying them, even though I have loads. Worn with one of their classic crisp white shirts underneath you can’t go wrong.

C x

26 Aryn April 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’ve been living in COS since we moved to Berlin – I absolutely love it! I saw a rumor on Huffpost that H&M is going to open a new, higher end store in the US. I hope it’s true and that it’s COS.

27 Clisty April 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

Ok I’m not seeing it. I mean I can SEE the dresses, but….
Just me?

28 Emily April 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I have a fab strapless black pantsuit I bought from COS — would never even have considered a pantsuit before, but it’s tres chic and can be worn in a million ways, I love it. I always hit up COS when I’m in London (I live in Ireland too!)

29 Megan April 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Ha, how funny. I just ordered the green dress from the store, and will pick it up tomorrow. It’s true that you really have to try their stuff on to discover what it really looks like on you. COS was my go-to place for all my early pregnancy clothes – plenty of their clothes drape in a very forgiving way that conceal the early non-bump-bulge. The green dress is great also for my post-baby waistline that is still in recovery stage. :-)