Brene Brown & Mom 2.0

April 13, 2012

Are you familiar with Brene Brown’s work? You may have seen her TEDx talk on vulnerability and shame. It’s soooo good! If you can spare 20 minutes today, you’ll be super glad you watched it.

Brene is speaking at the Mom 2.0 Summit and I’m giddy thinking about it. I’m excited just to be in the same room as her. There are a ton of things about Mom 2.0 I’m looking forward to, but hearing Brene tops the list! Will you be there? I’d love to meet you!

P.S. — More fantastic Brene-related news: She has a new TED talk available!! I’m saving it until I get home from this trip, but I’m already sure it’s amazing.

1 Catherine April 13, 2012 at 1:19 am

Amazing talk, thank you for the link Gabrielle! It’s made my day, and it’s only 8am ;-)

Catherine

2 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Yay! So glad to hear it.

3 Marcia (123 blog) April 13, 2012 at 4:09 am

I am a HUGE Brene fan and that is a GORGEOUS pic of her :)

4 Jenny from Mommin' It Up April 13, 2012 at 4:58 am

I heard Brene speak a couple years ago and it was awesome! Can’t wait to hear her again at Mom 2.0. I look forward to meeting you there!

5 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I look forward to meeting you too!

6 Maria Fernanda McClure April 13, 2012 at 7:24 am

Wow. Thank you!
That was worth every. single. one. of the 1,245 seconds in the video. Beautiful, concise, and clear. What an amazing message that is at once so simple and so hard to implement. Heading off to try… :)

7 Lucia April 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thanks! she is going to many points that are prohibited in many environments, like in the corporate world for example. You can´t be vulnerable in those environments, you have to be a “man” (a man like the one its defined in her second talk). It´s great to see someone is studying those topics. I´m vulnerable and I have been set aside for being vulnerable at work, so this is like a balsam to my ears. Thanks you sharing this talk.

8 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oh man! I can’t wait to watch her new one.

9 Kate April 13, 2012 at 10:57 am

Wow. Thanks for the link. Best 20 minutes of my day! So looking forward to seeing her – and maybe you?!? – at Mom 2.0.

10 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

For sure! I’ll be there. I’m speaking on a panel I’m really excited about.

11 Jimmy April 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

The gist of her TED talk really caught me at a good time. I was going through something of a friend break-up (which sounds silly, but it happened I guess) and it really spoke to the reasons why I couldn’t have this particular person in my life anymore. Real connections require a willingness to be vulnerable to others – that is, showing them who you are, rather than who you think *they* think you should be. Shame, then, is the end result of an inability to do that; we feel bad because we are not who we think others want or expect us to be.

That friend of mine really stunk at allowing vulnerability – not just in herself, but she would even reject it from those around her. It made her terribly uncomfortable.

Your good friends need to know you, warts and all, and vice versa. Brene did such a good job of putting words to that realization I was going through. I highly recommend it to anyone.

12 Amanda April 13, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’ve been a fan of Brene’s work for a while. I love when two of my favorite people (you and Brene) intersect!

Safe travels, Gabrielle.

13 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thanks, Amanda!

14 Alysa April 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Thank you for posting this today! I am preparing to be on a panel about “Avoiding Mommy Guilt” — not for Mom 2.0, just for a church thing next weekend. That talk is a fanTAStic resource.

15 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Best of luck on your talk, Alysa! I’m sure it will be amazing.

16 eva April 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Oh it’s too good to save! It has a funny anecdote about her first talk. I think you should watch it. ;)

*Eva

17 Tricia April 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love her. She is so real, down to Earth and funny. I think everything she has to say really makes sense. She also has a blog http://www.ordinarycourage.com/

18 ashley johnson April 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This is too funny…My mom sent me this video earlier today. I had never heard of her before. Now I’m reading your blog before bed & her she pops up again. Twice in a day…must be a sign that I need to start implementing :-)

19 Jess April 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Thank you for sharing this. You were right, I’m SO glad I watched it.

20 Maike April 15, 2012 at 8:04 am

Thank you so much for that!
And for your amazing Blog.
It makes me happy!

21 christine April 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

I totally love Brene Brown.

22 Meagan @ The Happiest Mom April 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I saw Brene speak at Blissdom year before last and was blown away. I am so excited that I’ll get to see her again at Mom 2.0! Well, and there’s Miami, which is also pretty exciting…

23 Isabel Ibanez April 16, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Oh my goodness! I JUST read her book and I literally thought that if everyone on the planet were to read it, all counselors would be straight up out of a job.

Hope you enjoyed your fabulous trip, you globetrotter! Hope you ate pistachio gelato! I swear I think I ate my way through Europe. :)

24 Sallie Ferguson April 16, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’m a huge Brene Brown fan. I’m currently reading her book titled, “I thought it was just me. (But it isn’t)” and I highly recommend it.