Book of the Week: MOMA Color Play Coloring Book

April 2, 2012

Have you noticed there’s a whole new category of really cool coloring books being published these days? They feature fantastic collaborations with designers from all over the world. I totally need to do a roundup of my favorites, but in the meantime, I thought I’d share the newest coloring book in the Blair family collection. It’s called Color Play and it’s BIG. In fact, I included the tips of my boots in some of the photos so you could get an idea of just how large the format it.

But it’s not just big, it’s really smart too. It was created by MOMA, and it’s a great way for kids to explore, and learn about things like what happens when you mix colors, and what the difference is between warm and cool shades.

How about you? Andy design-y coloring books at your house these days?

1 Kate McAtee April 2, 2012 at 10:58 am

I LOVE IT! Not only will I be buying this adorable coloring book for my own son but I’m also going to add a copy to my Pantone: Colors Board Book Giveaway that ends this Thursday! Now one of my lucky Twitter followers will receive both! Terrific recommendations as always!

Have a great week!

Kate :o)

2 Leila April 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

We just got Coloriages by Joëlle Jolivet for a birthday gift and it is BEAUTIFUL! The pages are thick, the pictures are lovely and some pages have flaps with more pictures hidden behind them. I would frame some of the pages.

I just found your blog not too long ago and I really enjoy it! Very inspiring. Thank you for your hard work!

3 Sandra April 2, 2012 at 11:56 am

Just yesterday I saw this same colouring book at a shop here in Vancouver called Vancouver Special. It’s all design-y as you can imagine. http://vanspecial.com/

What a great book. And love the inclusion of your boot tips for scale – gotta do what ya gotta do when photographing, eh?

4 Ann April 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Yes – I have noticed! Many great ones!

Really want to check-out this Moma one!

We have one from the Scribble Doodles series – love it!

5 caroline April 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Oh this looks fantastic-thanks so much for sharing-I’m going to order one for the kids as they’re always asking which colours to mix together-such a great idea! Caroline :-)

6 alyson boehr April 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm

A very timely post as I need a great colouring book to take me to France and back (I don’t fly well and colouring soothes my soul). Any other recommendations?

7 Sarah April 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I can’t wait till my little one is ready for these! The other night I let him have the colors that the waiter offered at the restaurant. He tried to eat them…. Oh well maybe in a few months!

8 Verena April 3, 2012 at 3:59 am

Oh that is a great colouring book! I have to get this for my girls. Thanks! :)

9 julie Dumas April 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

Looks like a book a Grandma ought to get her little artists.