Book of the Week: Chloe Instead

April 23, 2012

Here’s a cute new book from Micah Player called Chloe, Instead. It’s a great little portrait about what it means to be a sibling. Molly always wanted a sister who was just like her. She got Chloe, instead. They are very different. Molly likes to read books, Chloe likes to eat them. But there’s happy resolution in the end.

This would be a fun book for any siblings, but especially for a big sister who is about to meet the new baby of the family. And the illustrations are fantastic!

1 Rachel Parker April 23, 2012 at 4:58 am

Very adorable, and I love the bright artwork.

2 Kirsteen April 23, 2012 at 5:31 am

This looks lovely!

Beautiful illustrations. I am always on the lookout for books to add to our collection!

3 Cheryl Burchett April 23, 2012 at 6:12 am

We are having our second child at the end of the summer. Not only is our daughter, Lydia, not getting a sister who will be just like her……she is getting Joshua instead! We have progressed from her offering that her preschool teachers could have him, to her agreeing that she will not put him in a cage. This book sounds like a really great idea right now! THANKS!

4 Design Mom April 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

Cheryl! That is the cutest. So glad she’s agreed to the no cage arrangement. : )

5 Jenna April 23, 2012 at 8:13 am

This is awesome on so many levels! We’re expecting our 2nd this summer, so this would be a great book for my daughter. Even better, the author was a missionary in my ward when I was in middle school- I knew he did graphic design, but I didn’t know he was an author. Thanks for sharing!

6 i.ikeda April 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

This is perfect! I’m expecting a new little girl in just a few months, and my oldest is super excited. I don’t think she understands what she’s in for though, haha. I’ve been reading some sibling books to her, but none of them really show the changes that kids might have a hard time with. Thanks for sharing this one!

7 Barchbo April 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

What a gorgeous book!

I am so envious of the above commenters who are explaining the new siblings to their children. Ours is 18 months old and all we have established is that Mom has a belly button. Sigh.

Ask Design Mom: a good book to explain an impending sibling to an 18 month old?

8 sarah jane April 23, 2012 at 10:01 am

fun book! i love the illustrations!

9 Alysa April 23, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Oh my goodness. This book looks lovely! I’m always looking to add books to a list of baby-shower appropriate titles on my blog. The art is FABulous! Definitely going to check this one out.