A Few Things

April 13, 2012

Hello, Friends! We’ve had such a fun adventurous week in Rome. My inspiration wells are full and I’m excited to get back home today. Next week, my kids have a 2nd week off school for spring break — I’m glad we won’t have to jump back into our school routine right away! Instead, we actually have a camera crew coming to our home to help us with a new project. I can’t wait to share it with you! Watch for more news next month… How about you? Any fun plans for the weekend?

While I pack us up for the trip home, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
- Wind map! I find it mesmerizing.
- Have a tissue nearby when you read this one. Thanks, Pam.
- Beautiful, inexpensive wine box garden.
- So impressed with these students.
- Hah. Pinners be crazy. Thanks, Karey.
- For Facebook Readers, win $150 to Zutano!
- Rainbow roses.

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Skirts with pockets! My favorite for Spring and Summer.
- Tinkerbell makeup for grownups? Thumbs up or down?
- Because white socks are boring.
- I’m addicted to these grippy hangers. (They’re great-looking too!)
- Warm weather is here! Stay hydrated.

P.S. — It’s Friday the 13th and we’re flying home. Are you superstitious? Have you ever had crazy things happen to you on this date?

1 Gina vide April 13, 2012 at 2:26 am

These photos are just beautiful!!! Thanks for shAring and I am so glad that it’s so much fun! It’s am amazing city, isn’t it. I am impressed that it looks like you are traveling with great camera. We’re in traveling in Barcelona and after having mine disappear in Paris at Christmas time , I’m on,y taking iPhone photos and shots with a teeny digital…I had heard repeatedly about pick pockets here. (I am less worried about that; I am more likely to be distracted by the beauty and events of the day and could leave it in the flurry of the day!) Good for you!

2 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm

We are traveling with our big Canon camera, but the photos I’ve shared are actually all taken with my iPhone using Instagram. It’s picture making magic, I swear!

3 Christina April 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

That photograph is gorgeous! Did you use Instagram?

4 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Yes, Christina! I used an instagram filter, but it actually didn’t change too much on this particular image. I just happened to get lucky with the light. : )

5 susan April 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I loved the photo of the fountain. Since I can’t travel to France any time soon I took my daughter to see a Notre Dame like church in Kentucky followed by goodies at a French bakery in Ohio.

6 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Sounds like a lovely mother-daughter date!

7 Christine April 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I know someone getting married today! I wouldn’t call myself superstitious, but I wouldn’t have chosen Friday the 13th as my wedding day…

8 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

My brother and sister-in-law were married on Friday the 13th also — well over 13 years ago. : ) I guess it was a lucky day for them!

9 Nina Rothemann April 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi,
I LOVE your blog and have been following from Germany since I found out about it on Holly Beckers blog ages ago!

Thanks for pointing towards the video from Brigham students. Here in Germany there are not so many Mormons, so I do not know every detail about your church.

I have a gay brother and many gay friends, and many of them are christians, like I am myself. I am active in our community and attend service every other sunday. I am always happy to see gay couples at church. It makes my heart warm!

I am not sure if I understand the message of the movie properly, so I have a question that perhaps you might answer for me: Do the words “It gets better” mean, that the (mormon) society is slowly changing and they are getting more accepting about homosexuality? Will it (one day soon) be possible for homosexuals to live in relationships with partners of the same sex and still be a loved and respected part of the church one day? Or does it mean “you can not help being homosexual and it will get easier for you to live with this challenge”?

Is it okay to be homosexual? Or is it also okay to have a lesbian/gay partnership?

I am confused! Maybe you can help and answer?

10 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hi Nina! Great question. “It Gets Better” is actually a movement of videos that launched a couple of years ago. Adults who have made it through hard times, make and share videos to encourage and comfort teenagers who are feeling isolated, abused, burdened or confused by same-sex attraction. The videos are meant to reassure those who are struggling that life gets better! You can find dozens of It Gets Better videos here: http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

As for the Mormon church, I do hope it is changing and becoming more accepting about homosexuality. I hear some stories and believe that it’s happening — the video is one example. But there are 12 million Mormons, and they come from all sorts of backgrounds, cultures, countries and dispositions. I’m sure there are Mormons that feel the opposite of me.

I hope that helps answer your question!

11 Carina April 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

The photo is so befitting of a trip to Rome. It’s like there is a presence in it, just there to the right of the fountain.

12 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Thanks, Carina! I was so pleased with how it turned out.

13 Angie April 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Friday the 13th. Exactly 11 months ago today (May 13, 2011) my beautiful daughter, Olivia Sue, made her grand entrance into the world.

I was admitted on Thursday the 12th and the doctors gave us the option of trying induction til morning or c-section that evening. My husband and I had the discussion to wait until morning so she would be our lucky baby born on Friday the 13th. (We thought 5/13/11 had a better ring to it.) And in the end, it took a c-section to get her out, but we were the only procedure that whole day at the hospital. I feel she’s super special.

And from now on, every Friday the 13th is a good one. Cheers!

14 Design Mom April 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

What a special day, Angie! How fun.

15 teresa April 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Oh Rome, I so what to visit you someday.
Can’t wait to see what you are up to.
Sweet
happy Day

16 teresa April 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Meant to say “want” good grief. =)

17 Rixa April 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I love projects with wine boxes! I’ve dreamed of making a big cubbyhole unit filled with wine box “drawers.” It would make a great shoe/hat/mitten organizer by a front door, or a toy organizer in a playroom, or a fabric organizer in a sewing room…and so on… You could paint the cubbyhole shelves a fun color and just varnish the wine boxes.

Some day when I have time…

18 Suzanne @ The Wine{a}be April 13, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Oh, your pic of Rome is amazing…
I’ve been getting the “Italy Itch” again lately…dreaming of going there. You are so lucky!

19 Mary Karen Reynolds April 14, 2012 at 2:16 am

Any chance you can share some of your tips for traveling on Ryan Air and finding hotels for families? How do you find places to stay for so many? We just moved to Helsinki and would love to see more of Europe, but it is a bit daunting!

Mary

20 Kelli K April 14, 2012 at 7:57 am

My grandfather was born on Friday the 13th, and apparently would never celebrate on the 13th for the rest of his life. I think it’s fun now, and I always think about Grandpa, even if it’s not the right month!

21 lynn April 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Dear Gabrielle,

I love your blog! and have followed it for a year now. Today I came across a website that I knew you would just love if you saw it:
Plenty of colour.com

Hope you enjoy!
Yours,Lynn

22 Jacki April 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Ah, but you are flying from Italy and 13 is not an unlucky number in Italy….17 is!

23 sarah jane April 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

that wind map is really cool! that’d be a fun screensaver! we had a duo birthday party on saturday for lula (3) and diesel (1). it was wild! kind of glad it’s over!

24 Aarean April 16, 2012 at 9:00 am

oh my gosh totally made my day! :-)

I am superstitious, but not to the point where the 13th scares me by any means :-)

xoxo