A Few Things

April 6, 2012

bright easter eggs

Hello, Friends! Are you ready for Easter weekend? Everyone at Chez Blair is super excited today because it’s the last day of school before spring break! I just need to pack a few more things, then we’ll pick up the kids from school and we’re off on the next adventure!

We drive to Paris tonight to stay with my sister — tomorrow, Jordan is planning an Easter Egg hunt at the Eiffel Tower. How awesome is that?! Then on Sunday morning, we get up early and fly to Rome. Sigh. I can’t believe how much I’m looking forward to seeing Rome. I have such high hopes for this trip! I hope I’m not jinxing the whole thing. : )

While I finish packing, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
- Super easy idea for your Easter basket. Super cute too.
- Have you tried an Alt Channel Class yet? New ones were just added, and they’re a bargain!
- I have a thing for built ins.
- Arthur C. Clarke predicting the internet in 1974.
- I bet my kids would love this.
- Handy service for your next big event. (Or for Christmas cards!)
- A virtual choir — 3746 members from 73 countries. Thanks, Yvonne.
- They look like batik! I want to try this project.
- Because we’re traveling, we didn’t dye eggs this year. Did you?

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- What do you think of the patterned pants trend? Do you dare?
- French flats for your little ones.
- Have a friend with wanderlust? Send her this necklace.
- For all those kids who gravitate toward glue guns and glitter.
- Are you going to Mom 2.0? Here are gorgeous illustrated business cards to get you inspired.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend with family and friends. I’ll meet you back here on Monday — I’ll be writing from Italy! I miss you already.

P.S. — The other night, I had the kids watch Roman Holiday to get excited for the trip! Any other favorite Rome movies?

1 Valerie (all mussed up) April 6, 2012 at 5:52 am

Bon voyage! May your weekend be filled with sweet, colourful moments.

2 Jess (Where My Heart Is) April 6, 2012 at 6:00 am

Oh my – an Easter Egg Hunt at the Eiffel Tower. That will be something special.

Enjoy Rome!

3 Jo(ke) April 6, 2012 at 6:11 am

Rome is the best. I went there a few years ago. Hope you have a great time! I just got back from a trip to Italy (Pisa & Florence) myself (2 weeks ago). A country full of culture. Enjoy!

4 Tricia April 6, 2012 at 6:27 am

Easter egg hunt at the Eiffel Tower and then off to Rome, sounds like the perfect Spring Break, enjoy!

5 Ginger April 6, 2012 at 6:30 am

“Three Coins in a Fountain” makes seeing the Trevi fountain even more exciting. Buon viaggio!

6 Christa the BabbyMama April 6, 2012 at 6:48 am

We’re not dying eggs – mainly because I’m the only one in the house who will eat hard boiled eggs and am pregnant right now so don’t want to. But we’re going to an egg hunt tomorrow and then church on Sunday and Easter dinner at a friend’s in-laws’ house (which I hope isn’t too weird!)

7 Riikka April 6, 2012 at 7:04 am

How wonderful are the colours on those dyed Easter eggs! Have a great trip!
Riikka from Finland

8 Jessica April 6, 2012 at 8:08 am

You are going to love Rome! My favorite shop in the entire world is on the right side on the Panthenon. It is a 500 year old stationary shop that you will adore. Make sure to buy an Italian marbalized paper journal!

9 Lenka April 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

Rome is beautiful and you will love it, just warning you, it’s not very child friendly city:(.

10 The New Diplomats Wife April 6, 2012 at 8:26 am

you’ll love rome – sunday could be a little nuts becuase of the holiday. and lots of gelato for the kids on every corner!

11 Molly Winn April 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

Enjoy the nutella gelato! Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!! Rome is amazing, have a fantastic time! xo

12 Gina April 7, 2012 at 6:33 am

All gelato! Italy is the only country where I’ve ordered and eaten an ice cream (gelato) finished it and walked right back in the same shop for seconds! Look for where the locals are having theirs!

13 katharine April 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

two words: pizza bianco. It is a cheese pizza that is a great snack. For kids it is like a grilled cheese sandwich.

14 Gina April 7, 2012 at 6:32 am

15 Sarah April 6, 2012 at 11:45 am

I second “Three Coins in the Fountain!” So glamorous…
The theme song is easy and fun for kids to sing too.

16 Liz Stanley April 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

your trip sounds amazing! i can’t wait to see pictures of Eiffel Tower Easter egg hunt!

17 Lucia April 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

That Easter egg hunt sounds fabulous – look forward to hearing about it! And, I’ve only been to some of the smaller Italian cities near the French border, would love to make it to Rome one of these days.

I love your sister’s blog and the fact that you two are so close! If you’ll forgive me for being so nosy, how does it work when both of your families are staying in her apartment? (I have an ulterior motive, which is to convince my sister who lives in Paris that her two nephews and me would fit just fine in her small Parisian apartment when we visit!)

18 Amanda | Little Door On The Sound April 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

An Easter egg hunt at the Eiffel Tower sounds SO amazing! I cannot wait to read about it!!

19 Barchbo April 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Gidget Goes to Rome! It lacks the campy sass of the previous Gidget films for many reasons but when we were about 11, my sister and I thought it was the height of glamour! Nothing objectionable for kids, either (that I can remember.) Gidget Goes Hawaiian is the most hilarious. Probably unintentionally. But it’s not about Rome.

And don’t forget GLADIATOR! :)

20 Aarean April 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

oh darn…maybe I’ll make the list next week?! :-) and oh my I am so excited for Rome…we will be there in just two weeks!!! Have a wonderful Easter! xoxoxoxo

21 Emily @ Peck Life April 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thank you for all the wonderful links as always! I took an ALT class (understanding analytics with Nicole from Making it Lovely!). For only $15, it was SO informative and wonderful. I learned a lot! Happy weekend to you! I am so jealous of your Paris Easter. :)

22 Kelleyn April 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Yes! We dyed our eggs last week even though we are traveling this week. The fun was worth the 2$ of eggs that found their way to the trash. Have fun in Rome and how cool with hunt at the Eifel tower.

23 Gina April 7, 2012 at 6:31 am

1) This post is what dreams are made of! Eiffle Tower Egg Hunt! “C’est merveilleux!” 2) I keep sleeping through the Alt Summit classes that I book! (Stockholm time has put the ones I’ve wanted between 2 -4 AM)… but I am determined to set my alarm and get up. I’m convinced that they’re worth it; the next best things to being there. 3) ROME! Oh, what fun you’ll have. Other than the above mentioned, I’m blank. We visited Rome a few years ago and I was completely surprised at how smooth the travel was. I was really expecting the city to be “in your face,’ hectic and I found the opposite. I think your expectation will be easily met. It’s quite easy to get around — the city made me feel that everything was quite close — I was balled over by the weight of history confined within the streets. Have a ball! (the classics: Old “Rome: village, Colosseum, gladiator field” were amazing and set one’s imagination on fire. The Vatican (climb the dome!)… the people, the waterside & street walks, the ambiance, design and food accessible, luscious and … quite simple. (I only warn that if you drive to watch for signs. We prefer to get everywhere on foot but arrived late at night & my husband couldn’t wait to drive me around for a little tour, which included zipping by the Colosseum. One YEAR later, we received a huge driving fine for driving in a restricted area which we really had no idea we had done… it was still worth that first glimpse of the city at night. The other car rental trip I have is once you’ve made the booking, change nothing; not one thing. Every time we’ve done so, in Italy, we’ve later found surprises on our bills and when we’ve pre-booked, stuck with our booking to a “t” it’s gone perfectly.) Have a wonderful Easter and Roman Holiday! (we’re off to my dream: Barcelona. I feel just like you, in terms of expectations)

24 Susie April 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

“It Started In Naples” with Sophia Loren, I love that movie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaQGwXdzWs&feature=relmfu

As for the patterned pants? No, no no

25 michelle April 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Wow, I can’t wait to hear all about the Easter egg hunt at the Eiffel tower! How exciting! We wanted to go to Paris in November to celebrate my daughters birthday and well just to celebrate, we ended up going to Paris in Epcot with the whole family (very fun but not quite the same just getting us in the mood for the real Paris) I love your blog and can’t wait to hear more of your exciting trip, sending you super hugs! Michelle

26 Josefa April 8, 2012 at 1:27 am

Happy Easter! LOVE these eggs! So beautiful and vibrant! You are going to have a blast in Paris and Italy!! My husband is Italian and have visited a few times. I just went to Paris for the first time not too long ago and it was AMAZING!! I also love the Roman Holiday movie. Other Movies: Under the Tuscan Sun, La Dolce Vita, Eat Pray Love, Il Postino. Enjoy!

27 Rubyp3 April 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

Ah, we took our daughter to Rome at 6 mos. . we thought it very child friendly! May I suggest Dar Poeta for delightful pizza and following it up with a nutella calzone for dessert (you must try it, I realize it sounds ahem, weird) in trastevere.

28 Gayletrini April 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Hop e you are having a blast on your trip.
I decided against eggs this year, because I end up with all these eggs that the children refuse to eat LOL

29 Leslie April 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

Happy Easter! Just noticed this is the paper and thought that it would be a cool thing to add to your trip. . . private Vatican papers on display. . a plea from Henry VIII for an annulment, Galileo’s signature, etc Looks like a great opportunity!

30 Leslie April 9, 2012 at 11:30 am
31 Monica April 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Only You!! I love that movie, makes me wanna go to Italy every time I watch it. It’s the one with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. and the always awesome Bonnie Hunt. If you haven’t seen it, you must! It’s such a cute, fun movie.