TMRDNL

March 16, 2012

I’ve been exchanging emails with Tamar Daniel over the past few months and I have such a crush on her!

She was born in Jerusalem, raised in London, and schooled back in Israel at the prestigious Shenkar College. After college, she interned in London at everybody’s favorite, TopShop. Then, while there, Anthropologie sought her out to design their knitwear, so she moved to their headquarters in Philadelphia. And now she’s launched her own line (called TMRDNL) that’s made entirely in New York City. She’s so rad!

Tamar’s line is actually designed especially for mothers. Tamar says she watched her formerly industrious, stylish, put together friends lose steam with their fashion when kids came into the equation. So she created a line that transitions from boardroom to playgroup to date night and back again as seamlessly as mothers do.

In this video she says: “I want to make clothes that make you FEEL like you’re in you’re pajamas, but make you LOOK like you’re in a really hot new dress.” Doesn’t that sound perfect! She gets it, because she’s a mother herself. (Plus, how great is her accent?!)

TMRDNL is definitely a line for those with deep pockets — I’m picturing my friends in New York who work at investment banks, big law firms, and fashion magazines investing in these pieces. But whether you can afford them or not, I’ve found such inspiration in Tamar’s story and the thinking behind her line, and thought you’d love some inspiration too!

How about you? Any new crushes lately? Who’s inspiring you?

P.S. — I’ve seen this dress in person and it blew my mind. It was jam-packed and scrunched into this little box and popped out ready to wear. You could pack it for a trip around the world and you wouldn’t need another thing!

1 Sandra March 16, 2012 at 8:29 am

Definitely a line for deep pockets BUT inspiring just the same. Inspiring because it’s a line for ‘real women’ and how we live as moms. And inspiring also because it’s someone who went after what they wanted and made it happen!

I find anyone inspiring who goes after their dreams – their energy and passion is motivating for me. Life is short and other cliches….

2 Barchbo March 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the draping! In particular, I like that these clothes seem to be designed for women with a little curve. While I am not especially curvy, I sometimes have trouble finding clothing to accommodate my bottom or my chest. Draping is my friend! (The North West Dress is my fave.)

Thanks for sharing!

3 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

Yes! Draping is my friend too.

P.S. –Do you watch Project Runway? I always think of PR when I hear the word draping. : )

4 NY Mom March 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

Her design philosophy is impressive and so understanding of what a woman needs to look good while she’s feeling comfortable. Her designs are beautiful, elegant and intelligent. I especially love her sympathetic attitude.

If her motivation for the design is as altruistically sensitive as it seems, perhaps she would consider extending her line to accomodate those of us who do not have $795 to spend on a dress?

5 Rebecca Grace March 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love this line! Has Tamar considered coming out with a pattern line for home sewers? I’d love to see a Tamar Daniels Collection for Vogue Patterns… :-)

6 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

What a genius idea!

7 Tan March 16, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m afraid I lost interest when she said she designs with a “really small woman in mind” :/

8 Clara March 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I thought she said small at first too but then I listened again – she said a a “really SMART woman in mind” :)

9 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Oh dear! For sure she didn’t say “small”. That charming accent is fooling your ears. Clara’s right, she said “smart”!

10 Laura March 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

She said “smart” but she could have said “small” and it might have been more honest…a large is size 8-10!

11 Tasha March 17, 2012 at 8:08 am

Agreed – bummer – it is so difficult to find well-made, unique or even stylish clothes for a bit larger sizes…when will the fashion world get it!? :(

12 Tan March 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

oh PHEW! Okay I like her then ;)

13 The New Diplomats Wife March 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

love – trust me, you can never have too many items that you scrunch up in a ball in your suitcase and then have look perfect on arrival. i’m always on the lookout – have some big bouts of travel coming up so could be something to stock up on.

14 The New Diplomats Wife March 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

okay just looked at the site – i stand corrected, maybe not to ‘stock up on” at $795 but maybe one day splurge on. also, love the drapyness but there’s a caveat that this fabric will definitely not work for a lot of body types. but it’s only the start so maybe there is more to come.

15 Heather @ That Uncomfortable Itch March 16, 2012 at 11:40 am

These are stunning! I love her whole PJ thought process. I also love her dresses. I don’t know how to wear a dress but hers could inspire me to explore them.

16 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm

“I don’t know how to wear a dress”

I know what you mean. There are certain pieces of clothing I have to practice wearing to feel comfortable in them. : )

17 Shandi Naugle March 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

Gorgeous clothes! But expensive. But sooo pretty. . .

18 Clara March 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, but very pricey…fingers crossed that one day she can develop a more affordable line for regular moms!

19 kim March 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

It could be argued that a woman who can and is willing to spend $800 on a dress, plus more for shoes, accessories etc. after having children is probably *never* going to be the frumpy looking one in the room anyhow ;-) That aside, this is exactly what I could see myself wearing if money were not a consideration.

20 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Well said, Kim!

21 Tamar Daniel March 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi folks, thanks for your feedback, and thank you Gabrielle for the wonderful write up-
Check back in tomorrow, I’m going to drop my prices for the day in honor of all the ‘design moms’ out there.

22 Tamar Daniel March 16, 2012 at 3:51 pm

And for the record, I said SMART, not SMALL, sorry for the misunderstanding!

23 Petra Palmer March 17, 2012 at 11:42 am

Good for you, Tamar, and what a kind gesture. I noticed that the range is made entirely in NYC, so that is obviously going to be reflected in the price. Now some of us may be crossing our fingers for a Target collaboration! Good luck with your line, I love the pictures!

24 Avital March 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Ladies – as Tamar’s lucky (and unbiased!) sister I have actually been given a dress as a gift and I’m in love with it! It came scrunched up in a tiny box (and stayed that way for a few days before I had time to give it the love it deserved) and it opened to be completely perfect and ready to wear. The material was super luxurious and I spent the day running from a brunch with friends to the office to playing on the floor with my 7 month old – exactly as the designer intended. It did, indeed, follow my transitions seamlessly. Woohoo! :)

25 Courtney March 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hmmm. Beautiful. But $645 for a dress? I don’t know any mothers, even mothers with money to burn, who would EVER pay $645 for a dress. I am a mother of two, and I love wearing cute clothes. My bright fuschia dress from Target with a cute brown belt and my TOMS shoes look just as fun and cute as this stuff, and I still have money leftover to feed and clothe my children:)

26 Yonina J. May 31, 2012 at 9:06 am

Very cute line but the price point is a bit unrealistic. I don’t know if Tamar got the memo that we are in a depression. $275 for a T-shirt? $745 for a dress? C’mon!