The Adventures of Baum-Kuchen

March 14, 2012

Some of my favorite stories begin with the words “What if we…” I like to think that’s exactly how Wakako and her family set out on their adventure from their home in Los Angeles all the way to Japan.

I’ve written about Baum-Kuchen glowingly before, but their latest travel stories have me hooked. Right this minute, they are on Yakushima island having zen-inspired blocks made from 1000-year-old wood! Along the way, they create funny mini-movies starring two wooden figures and their car. Checking into their blog, I find myself both galvanized and reassured. Out-of-the-ordinary experiences are worth it.

Just look how much fun Taro and Hanako are having!

Doesn’t Spring make you want to hop in your car and drive as far as your tank will take you? Where would you go for the day? Where would you head for the week? Let’s wanderlust together!

1 Sharon @ Discovering March 14, 2012 at 7:07 am

I would drive to Williamsburg, VA, to visit with my best friend and her family. She and I have been friends since we were 13, and laugh our butts off any time we start telling our silly stories – when we were young and boy-crazy.
It’s a 6 hour drive from NJ, and it would recharge my batteries, I’m sure of it.

2 Design Mom March 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

Three cheers for anything that recharges batteries. : )

3 Sandra March 14, 2012 at 7:15 am

Could that video BE any cuter? What a fun idea to make those. And another adventuring couple like you and Ben – just replace Normandy with Yakushima.

Road trips – I grew up doing road trips with my parents and do them now too. If I just grabbed a few things right.now and hopped in the car I’d drive south along the west coast. Seattle, Portland, northern California, San Francisco and then all the way to Santa Barbara.

I went to grad school in SB and I miss the smell of the lemon groves and the eucalyptus trees. And the fog in the morning that would burn off by lunchtime when I would be sitting outside eating fish tacos.

Don’t tempt me!

4 Design Mom March 14, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ben Blair’s father grew up in Santa Barbara, but I don’t believe I’ve ever been there. Your description of lemon groves has me craving a visit!

5 karey m. March 14, 2012 at 7:59 am

pat’s in indonesia. yes, it takes ages to get there and the time is upside-down…but…but…i am jealous.

i’d go anywhere in two minutes!

these people are lightning rod cool. thanks for sharing them. xoxo

6 Design Mom March 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

Having a spouse halfway around the word is the toughest thing! Thinking of you, lovely Karey.

7 Jillian in Italy March 14, 2012 at 8:06 am

What perfect timing to come across this post! We are traveling to Japan with our 3 kids in a few weeks and Taro and Hanako’s blog is a perfect way to get some ideas for our trip. It looks like they’re having an amazing time… Thanks for sharing.

8 Design Mom March 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

How exciting, Jillian! I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time.

9 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 14, 2012 at 8:23 am

You feature the most interesting people! These days, I’m craving a road trip through the upper Northwest (Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Montana, Washington State, Banff).

The first sentence of your post made me smile because I’ve recently read a couple of memoirs by really great novelists who wrote that asking “What if…?” is how they generate ideas for their stories.

10 Design Mom March 14, 2012 at 9:28 am

Oh my goodness! I am right there with you, Shannon. Banff has been on my wishlist since high school.

11 Daisy March 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

I already miss my husband that just left this morning (we live in Florence) and is still driving up to Maastricht in the Netherlands for the fabulous art fair of Tefaf (going on this week http://www.tefaf.com) … I’ve always gone with him for ‘work’ – it’s really such a glitzy affair that it shouldn’t be called work! …i had to pass this year to play in the park with my 18 month old and 5 week old… i have to say that however glitzy the show may be it was priceless to spend such a beautiful day with my boys!!!