She Wears Short Shorts

March 23, 2012

Did any of you wear the short-tweed-shorts-with-thick-tights look that was in all the stores through fall and winter? I love the look! (And think Maude rocked it out wonderfully here.)

It looks like this trend translates to short-shorts-with-no-tights for spring and summer. But short shorts just don’t work for me. Frankly, I haven’t worn shorts of any length in years. I find myself in skirts or dresses instead.

Most women I know have a love-hate relationships with shorts, usually loving the shorts but disliking the way their legs look in them. What’s your opinion? Will you be wearing shorts as soon as the weather warms a little more, or will you choose something a little less…short? And how do you prepare your legs for those first few days of exposure? Self-tanner, a few extra strolls around your neighborhood, or leg-lengthening wedged sandals? I’d love to know your tricks!

P.S. — Sequined shorts make me happy whenever they pop up on Pinterest! In real life, though, they’re kind of a rare sight. Too bad.

1 Dee March 23, 2012 at 5:59 am

I started wearing shorts a few years ago when we moved to the beach, but I’m no longer in love with them. And as my little is not nursing as much, the need for wearing two pieces has lessened. I’m currently on a quest to acquire enough dresses that I can stuff the shorts in the back of my closet and forget about them. As for preparation, I definitely shave my legs, something I do infrequently in winter!

2 Lori H March 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

I don’t wear many shorts nowadays, except for gardening. I end up wearing capri pants but would love to add some sundresses or skirts to my wardrobe.

3 Sarah Lemoine March 23, 2012 at 6:47 am

I love short shorts… just not on me!! Whenever I am working out (a rarity, indeed), I’m more likely to wear shorts at all- but even then they’re longer than the ones pictured above!

* and the sequined shorts above are stunning!

4 Malia O. March 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

I definitely rock the knee length shorts. I’m with Sarah L. I like short shorts but they just aren’t flattering on me.

5 Danielle March 23, 2012 at 6:59 am

I don’t wear short shorts anymore. I think at 41 they look like I’m trying to be something I’m not. But I do wear longer, Bermuda-length shorts in the spring and summer. Mostly just for running around, doing errands, etc. I’ve always been a huge fan of skirts and dresses – soo much more comfortable and easier to look pulled together, even when I’m not!

As for my preparing myself for exposure, I do admit to using a little self-tanner. I use L’Oreal’s Sublime Glow – it’s the kind that gives you a gradual bit of color, depending on how much or how often you use it. I usually put on my regular lotion first (or mix the two together) so it’s even more subtle.

6 betsy March 23, 2012 at 7:07 am

I’m with you! I love wearing skirts and dresses in the warm weather. I do wear capris too but never shorts. No prep except shaving and getting a new pair of sandals/flip-flops.

7 everton terrace March 23, 2012 at 7:09 am

I haven’t worn shorts in about 10 years. I’m a capri gal I suppose.
I love seeing milky white legs. My dermatologist always tells me there is no such thing as a healthy tan :)
Living in Arizona with pasty white skin, blonde hair and light eyes means I avoid the sun.

8 Christa the BabbyMama March 23, 2012 at 7:17 am

Shorts? Nah. They’re all too too too short these days! I can’t stand it! But then I also look dumpy in longer shorts, so it’s just skirts for me.

9 Mersey March 23, 2012 at 7:21 am

The Jergens Natural Glow Firming lotion is my secret weapon. That lotion plus running everyday-I wear short shorts everyday!

10 Gayletrini June 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm

wow I have to try that

11 Stephanie March 23, 2012 at 7:34 am

The shorts with tights thing is cute on girls younger than 22, but it can easily look weird if the tights/hose aren’t sheer all the way up:) For this post-baby gal pushing 31, I like a longer short, skirts, and dresses.

12 lisa i March 23, 2012 at 7:39 am

i live in the sunshine state ..gained like 60 lbs during pregnancy ( baby boy is now 14 weeks) and i am proud to say i rocked a short short jumpsuit yesterday..ohh yea!!! my tricks : st tropez self tanner day before..johnson johnson bedtime lotion before u leave the house ( leaves my legs kinda shimmery ) then u must…must rock a heal to lengthen the appearance of ya legs.
YOU . ARE. WELCOME! : ]

13 Kristina March 23, 2012 at 8:03 am

Short shorts have been on my body since I was 18. I am not an extremely trendy gal, and I love my short shorts. Honestly, I just prefer shorts to capris. I can’t stand capris. Longer shorts highlight my knees, which I hate, so short shorts it is.

I do love skirts and dresses, but again they have to be just the right length. I like them just below the knee or really short. Since I AM getting older, I’ve attempted to wear slightly longer skirts, but they just don’t work for my legs. And, lotion, lotion, lotion!

14 Fashion for the Resf of Us March 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

Ah refuse shorts… I love them in every form (especially the sequined ones above) but a big faux-pas past October has made me understand that they are neither age nor role-appropriate for me:

15 Kristin March 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

I live in the South so it is too hot to wear long pants in the Summer. My legs are my best feature, so I don’t mind wearing shorts – but not super short – about a 5″ inseam is the shortest I will go.

16 The New Diplomats Wife March 23, 2012 at 8:26 am

those sequined shorts weren’t so rare at ALT :) would love to wear some myself but legs not quite there…maybe i’ll hunt out a sequin skirt instead, seems more my speed.

17 Shaela March 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Those sequined shorts look itchy :)

Longer shorts, capris or skirts for me. Last summer I ended up wearing pants a lot. Does this mean I’m getting older? hmmm….

18 Mary n March 23, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love those sequined shorts! Doubt I’d have the guts to wear them, but love them!

19 Barchbo March 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

I am super-high waisted so shorts, skirts and pants are all challenging for me. Since my legs are so long I can really only wear mid-thigh or I look out of proportion. Occasionally I can find a pair of boot-cut capris to off-set my proportion but I am not really a capri person. I am not a skirt person, either. I have a gorgeous pair of gold silk Erotokritos shorts that I used to be able to wear before baby…I hope to be in them again.

I would love to wear those sequin shorts with tights. Sigh. It’s not to be.

20 Summer March 23, 2012 at 9:01 am

I wear shorts, but the length has gone to a 3″ inseam rather than the 1 1/2″ that I wore when I was younger. :P I do prefer skirts though, because I think they’re cooler anyway (it’s muy caliente in Texas in the summers).

I have olive skin, so I lucked out in that way, but legs will tan in the sun regardless, so I don’t do much prep. If anything, I’d say the key is: ladies, size up on your shorts. If you’re a size 6 in jeans, buy size 8 shorts. Just trust me on this. There are few things more unflattering than tight shorts. Eeep!

21 the emily March 23, 2012 at 9:30 am

I used to think my legs were my best feature and loved to show them off with short shorts, but I’m a mormon so…that didn’t last. Now I wear bermudas and love them because they’re comfortable and cool, but I feel like I look dorky in them because I’m REALLY short (5’1″ barely) so my legs look extra short in long shorts. But I’ve started wearing more skirts and feel less dorky in those.

22 Adventures in Dressmaking March 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’ve never been able to pull them off, even as a teenager and in my earliest 20′s. I’ve always been curvy, never had chicken legs, so I understand how some people can do the look better. Too short is definitely trashy, though! No need to see the curves of your butt!!

23 aneelee March 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

when you have to endure 105° summer weather, short is really the only way to go. the fewer crevices that have fabric in them the better! short shorts for-like-ever!

24 Kristen March 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

I think it’s just like skirts: You’ve got to find the right fit, length, and style – then MAGIC (regardless of how great or not-so-great you think your legs). It also helps to lube up your legs (with lotion, obviously) too so they’re silky and smooth.

I splurged on a pair of leather shorts last year, as well as a couple of dressy non-leather ones and I was surprised how great I felt in them with a pair of heels.

Might as well do it while I can until I’m relegated to orthopedic shoes and Depends!

25 jennie w. March 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

Egads! There is no way I would ever wear short shorts. And most people probably shouldn’t either.

26 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

Oh no – no short shorts. Unless one is under age 20. Maybe with tights under them up until age 25. After that….silliness ensues.

But regular shorts or longer length shorts are okey dokey artichokey!

27 CrazyUS March 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

Love the look! I am short even though my legs are long in proposition to my frame. Shorts still don’t look the best on me, especially tweed & tights. I wonder what an alternative could/would be?

28 CrazyUS March 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

proportion not propositions! Ha Ha! I need to put my glasses on!

29 Kristen E March 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

I look awful in shorts – they make me look dumpy and heavier than I am. I wear flowy skirts and dresses all summer – much better! :)

30 Linnea March 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I’m more of an easy summer skirt sort of girl! If it’s very hot or I’m working out, I’ll wear a pair of capris or gym shorts. I’m very selective about the everyday shorts I’ll wear – they have to hit at the right length, about 4 or 5″ above my knee. Too short, and there’s way too much curve for comfort! As to pre-summer toning, I’ve been working on squats and lunges, in addition to the regular running and Pilates. I also agree that short shorts rarely look great on the average woman, and even if they do, I think the choice for more modesty and mystery ranks higher than showing extra long legs.

31 engquist@see what i sea designs March 26, 2012 at 6:55 am

We just moved to the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, and whether I like them or not, shorts are already becoming essential. I’m going to have to stock up on skirts and sundresses, too. My biggest dilemma with shorts is that I always feel underdressed in them and in this heat, cardigans all summer long just aren’t going to be an option!

32 Montana Mom March 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

No shorts, for me.

33 Tania March 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Shorts are a given in Hawaii year round. I’ve got a big booty so don’t go too short but shorter is more flattering on my 5’1″ curvy body. I’ve gained a ton of weight recently and don’t work out as much so my legs are not looking as good as they used to but still can’t imagine never wearing shorts. I do short denim cutoffs a size big almost all weekend. I’ve always loved the look of sequin shorts of a looser mini with a T or casual sweater and flat sandals but never really wore it myself. I love the idea of dressy shorts in general and have done jackets with shorts, that kinda thing when going out at night when I was in better shape.

34 deb March 26, 2012 at 9:24 pm

short fat British legs so no shorts for me, but my girls got their Daddy’s long American legs so they rock short shorts. Even Capris are too short for my little legs – Give me a dress any day.

35 deniquo March 30, 2012 at 8:26 am

i love shorts.. i used to live in izmir (in turkey: hot mediterranean climate combined with a taste for fashion rules the city), i had no choice but sun dresses, shorts and light tops.. having moved to the capital (which lacks a coast) people do look at me funnily when i switch to shorts, but hey, who cares? :) oh well, my skin does not have that divine tanned look… so yes, self tanner… i do my leg lifts all year round so getting fit is not an issue, my legs are nowhere close to a victoria’s secret angel but they are in the best shape they could be, so i refuse thinking about them and enjoy my short shorts :)

36 Gayletrini June 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I love shorts of all kind and I know as an old girl of 41 I should stay away from the shorts shorts but living in the tropics it is so easy to slip on a pair. I am also a fan of all lengths of shorts. short shorts are sometimes just not appropriate for all places :D
I shave regularly