Making Scents

March 27, 2012

This post is sponsored by Method. Join your fellow People Against Dirty on Facebook.

——-

I’m so happy to be working with Method on a series of posts. If you’ve been reading for awhile, you already know I’m a long-time Method fan. In fact, I remember when the line was first introduced at Target — a special display with rows and rows of bulb shaped, translucent, brightly colored handsoaps. I was like a moth to the flame!

For the first post, I thought it would be fun to talk about scents. Do you have strong opinions about scent? I think I started thinking about scent when I became pregnant for the first time. Suddenly, every smell seemed magnified by 1000! I couldn’t stand perfumed candles, certain deodorants, and all sorts of food. I became so picky!

Right now, my scent preferences seem to change with the seasons. In the fall and winter I want cinnamon and clove and warm scents. This month, I’m craving florals and fresh scents — like lavender or waterfall. And I’m sure when summer arrives, I’ll be drawn to citruses.

How about you? Do you have a favorite scent you’re loyal to for cleaning products? Lemon? Pine? Mint? Or do you like to experiment? Perhaps scent is secondary for you and color/packaging are the priority? I’d love to hear your scented opinions!

P.S. — Did you see Method’s Clean Happy anthem video? It’s is seriously awesome!! They used handsoap bottles to make a lite-bright display. 100% cool. And it will make you happy. Check it out!

1 susan March 27, 2012 at 4:23 am

I love the scent of cucumber or lemon or grapefruit. Method has 2 out of 3 of those scents and because of that they are in my house. I once had a cleaning product that smelled like parsley! I haven’t been able to find that scent in years.

2 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:25 am

Oooohh. I could totally get into a parsley scent!

3 Michelle March 27, 2012 at 9:10 am

I just finished up a bottle of Parsley! I purchased it at Whole Foods or online (I can’t remember) and it was Mrs. Meyers. LOVE that scent!

4 Vera March 27, 2012 at 4:41 am

I haven’t paid particular attention to what scents I like but i know I don’t really like citrus so much. The smell of apple and strawberry, and cinnamon, I love those. Haven’t heard of Method, we probably don’t have them here, but I liked that vid a lot. Thanks for sharing :)

5 Lori H March 27, 2012 at 5:23 am

Scents are important to me…a good one can make my day. A shampoo that smells off can ruin my shower! I tend to prefer a citrus or green scent (like olive blossom). Method has some wonderful cleaning products.

6 Sally Cage March 27, 2012 at 5:37 am

I love woody/spicy scents like sandalwood and patchouli in small doses, but am obsessed with lemongrass.

7 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 7:23 am

Hear hear on the lemongrass!

8 amyks March 27, 2012 at 6:53 am

I love the pink grapefruit scent and the cucumber, too. I will admit that I initially bought Method hand soap because I loved the colors and the packaging. But I continue to use them because I really like the product!

9 Bre March 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

Lilac! Ever since I was a little kid I’ve loved that smell… I’d pick up any cleaning product in that scent.

10 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

There is a giant lilac bush here at the farmhouse. I can’t wait till it blooms this year!

11 Courtney M March 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

Right now I am completely obsessed with Method’s lime + sea salt scent. I want to bathe my whole house in it. Summery & fresh!

12 Michelle March 27, 2012 at 9:11 am

I love the Method grapefruit and sweet water scent. They also had a green tea one for a while but that seems to have flown off shelves. Sad! I also love cleaning with lemon verbena scented products.

13 Jadah Sellner March 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

I religiously use Method’s cucumber hand soap all year long. I just love that scent. I also love lemon, so we use Mrs. Meyers Clean Day. So I guess I’m a lemon cucumber girl.

14 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm

lemon cucumber sound like such a cool contrast — intense and cooling and very fresh!

15 Cecilia March 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

Hey Gabby!!!

Look what I found in my country!
It’s a local brand related with personal care, which bottle is just like Method’s
I think Method’s image is prettier.

16 Lisa March 27, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m with you on changing scents for seasons! There’s something about smells that go with the time of year. I
Love that method has several choices and their all purpose cleaner is my favorite!

17 Lauren March 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

I am usually drawn to food scents: citrus, cinnamon, vanilla, any herbs. I just recently started using Method dish soap in Clementine and it is AMAZING.

18 Barchbo March 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My scent preference changes with the seasons.

Spring: clean laundry; fresh-cut grass
Summer: citrus, roses
Fall: woodsmoke
Winter: pine, cinnamon, chocolate

But they have to be GOOD scents – true and non-synthetic. And I always love the scent of clean baby!

19 Ann March 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I like very subtle scents, lemon, lavender, parsley, any herbs too i like. I do like real smelling scented things because recently I bought some soap that had a Kauai sea scent and it really smelled like the the Kauai beach we were staying at. We do use some method products in our home. We like the almond furniture polish. I really loved that light bright idea. It made me smile. I loved that toy as a child.

20 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I played with lite bright too!

21 Chez Us March 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Big fan of Method. Love the packaging as well as the clean and fresh scents. I am currently using the grapefruit throughout the house but am looking to mix it up for spring.

22 Deborah March 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Scents became paramount to me during my first pregnancy, gosh over 18 years ago. Loving Method’s pink grapefruit so much, even as I try to elimate all corporate cleaners for our home. Dang you, Method and your pretty packages, colors and scents. ;)

23 Kelly March 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I really love the Method Sea Minerals scent in their all-purpose cleaner. Love it, but my Target rarely carries it, so I feel the need to hoard it! I also love my almond milk French soap bar — the brand that Anthro carries. As for natural fragrances, nothing brings back my childhood like both orange blossoms & eucalyptus leaves (can you tell I’m from California?) :-)

24 Katie March 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm

No scents at our house. They make me sick. :-( I wish they had fragrance free.

25 Monica April 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm

They don’t have a lot – but they do have fragrance free options in laundry detergent, smarty dish tabs and hand wash.

p.s. I work with Method. :)

26 ashley johnson March 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Clementine!!
Also, the Method brand squirt n mop cleaner for wood floors has a *divine* almond smell.