Instant Gratification

March 15, 2012

I think a 24-hour cupcake automat could be dangerous, especially if it’s located within walking distance after a late-night feeding. “Honey! I’ll be right back! Just going for a stroll through the neighborhood! At midnight!”

Are cupcakes your weakness? If you could choose any treat to instantly satisfy a late-night craving, what would it be? My mouth is already watering!

P.S. — My late night craving is usually rootbeer floats or graham crackers & milk. What am I, five?

1 Erin @ Out on A Limb... March 15, 2012 at 5:18 am

I don’t really have a late night snack of choice (any will do), but am totally
weak when it comes to having any kind of treat in plain sight. A box of Girl Scout cookies lasted less than an hour under my watch.

If I had to choose, I’d say Entenmann’s chocolate covered donuts. Cold. With milk.

Heaven.

2 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:39 am

I miss Girl Scout cookies.

3 Lori March 15, 2012 at 5:41 am

That’s awesome, I want one.

My husband has graham crackers and milk almost every night before bed. :)

4 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:40 am

I would do the same if I could get them here! The closest replacement I’ve found are a crazy delicious cracker/cookie called Speculoos.

5 Lindsay March 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

Can you get British Digestives? They are similar as well. I love grahams slathered in homemade chocolate frosting.

6 Julie March 15, 2012 at 5:47 am

I’ve just shared this with my favourite cupcake shop – I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

7 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

Can you imagine if this became a widespread thing?!!

8 Sara March 15, 2012 at 6:22 am

Oooh, I am helpless to resist ice cream. Definitely my favorite treat.

My husband loves graham crackers and milk, too!

9 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:42 am

Give your husband a graham-cracker-high-five for me. : )

10 darci March 15, 2012 at 6:32 am

i live in nyc, and work a couple blocks away from Sprinkles. they are now my fav cupcake shop. sooo good

11 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:42 am

Sprinkles is in NYC too? I don’t think I knew that. I’ll have be make sure to visit on my next NYC trip.

12 Lauren March 15, 2012 at 7:05 am

Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, or anything with peanut butter :)

13 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

Do you have a favorite B&J flavor? I usually pick chocolate chip cookie dough.

14 Connie March 15, 2012 at 7:34 am

I can’t say I ever want a late night snack. But, my snacky weakness is candy: specifically chewy candies like Sour Patch Kids (especially when the bag has been in the fridge for about an hour-don’t judge me!), Haribo Gummi Bears, and Skittles. Oh, it doesn’t matter how full I am, I ALWAYS have room for those. And I’ll keep eating them till someone takes them away from me. It’s a vice….but such a happy one! :D

15 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

Oh my goodness! Sour Patch Kids are a major weakness for me.

16 Cathy March 15, 2012 at 9:06 am

Wonderful idea! My favorite treat, however, is Godiva cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory!

17 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

That sounds absolutely divine.

18 Young Wifey March 15, 2012 at 9:23 am

I keep a jar of premixed ingredients, so we can just add water and microwave cakes whenever we want them! <3 Yes, a cupcake machine would be extremely dangerous!

19 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:45 am

What? What?! Microwave cakes? Is this a real thing? I think you need to email me with more information.

We don’t currently have a microwave in the house, but I’m curious all the same.

20 TracieOB March 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

I am so in love with this idea!! My 17 year old son showed this to me cuz he knows how much I LOVE cupcakes. Fortunately, for me, BH is too far to go for a late night snack, sigh!

21 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

Clearly, you have raised a smart and handsome son.

22 Molly Winn March 15, 2012 at 11:33 am

This makes me wish I was back living in southern California! Oh man, GENIUS! Someone was thinking!

23 Design Mom March 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

I agree. Genius!!

24 Beth March 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm

That – is downright AWESOME! LOVE cupcakes :)

25 Mariana March 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm

THAT’S AMAZING!

My favorite flavor of theirs is definitely red velvet. I just had one yesterday!

26 Lori H March 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm

A brownie vending machine would be the death of me – death by chocolate!!

27 Barchbo March 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I don’t really like cake or sweets that much. My husband would love frozen yogurt dispensers and I…I always want a mani/pedi at midnight, when it’s never possible. If they had a machine for that I would be in heaven!

28 Charissa March 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Yum! Anything dipped in milk sounds delicious at night. Grahams are good, but Gingersnaps soaked in milk until they almost fall apart make me want to cry (for joy).

29 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

Do you ever get the ginger thins from Ikea? I can inhale an entire box in seconds.

30 Lindsay March 24, 2013 at 3:54 am

IKEA just opened 2 weeks ago in the country I live. Of course I had to introduce my children to the glory of ginger thins. We ate about a 3rd of a box (sold in a box here rather than the rolls) just on the way home.

31 Lori March 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I must say a mini cupcake or one large one to split into quarters was my go to choice after late night feedings too!

32 Lola G. March 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm

When I lived in Holland, all the way back in 1974, there were several ATM–style machines that sold French fries (frites). The quality wasn’t a substitute for the real thing, but there was a certain appeal in the novelty of it – especially to my then–19-year-old self!

33 se7en March 15, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Memory flashback!!! I was so looking forward to our wedding night – to stay in my first hotel… I looked forward to it for weeks… All I wanted was to order a soda float and waffles from room service… We got there at about 2 in the morning, exhausted after a long long long day… and the only thing they were serving for room service was a ridiculously expensive seafood platter… Sweet hubs had a terrible cold, ordered the platter and went to sleep… I waded through a sea food platter and watched soccer on TV!!! Crayfish and mussels were a far cry from the soda float I had been looking forward too!!! Almost twenty years later we still laugh about it and I am still hoping to stay in a hotel that serves soda floats in the dead of night!!!

34 kelleyn March 15, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I would be in serious trouble!

35 M. Peterson March 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Rootbeer float is my nighttime craving, too! Almost always. Like right now…

36 Sarah March 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm

have you tried that new ben and jerry’s flavor called late night snack? sweet and salty, chocolate covered potato chip bunches. It’s just wack-o. and yummy! http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/feature/late-night-snack/

37 Candace March 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

I don’t usually have late night cravings, but when I want something sweet, nothing is better than a hot cookie and cold milk. YUM.

38 Design Mom March 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

That makes me hungry right this second!

39 Jessica March 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I will be in LA in a couple weeks and I will be checking this Sprinkles out!!! I can’t wait to try it!!! I will report back and let you know how it was!!!