Happy Birthday to Ben Blair!

March 7, 2012

Today is Ben Blair’s birthday! We have garlands hanging in the kitchen to celebrate. Here are 3 of the many reasons I’m glad Ben Blair was born:

1) He’s a really good person. If something wonderful happens to you, he will feel genuinely happy. Often, he’s so happy upon hearing someone else’s good fortune, it’s as if the happy thing happened to him!

2) He’s an engaged parent. He spends lots of time thinking about our children, their needs and how best to parent them. He says yes when they come up with challenging or ambitious projects and helps make the projects happen. It’s not unusual for him to come up with a new idea or system that helps motivate the kids to learn and work hard.

3) He helps me feel beautiful. Obviously he’s seen me looking good and not so good over the years, but he acts like he’s seeing something amazing whenever I get undressed (post surgery, 9 months pregnant, all. the. time.) I realize that in a high percentage of instances he’s just being a good actor, but even when he’s pretending, it sure feels good. (Sorry if that’s TMI.)

Happy Birthday, Ben Blair! You are wonderful.

1 liz March 7, 2012 at 6:41 am

I wanted to say that I’m glad you shared #3, even if it makes some people blush. Everyone deserves to have someone look at them that way — especially post-childbirth. And how refreshing to hear about a truly happy marriage! Cheers.

2 Damaris March 7, 2012 at 7:04 am

I agree 100% with Liz. And happy birthday to Ben Blaire.

3 Linnea March 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

I also agree. So glad to hear of your happiness together! Many blessings to your husband on his birthday!

4 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay March 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Me too! I love that.

My husband loves to say “You look like a wreck!” with a big smile on his face. It is one of his biggest affectionate expressions of loving me no matter what.

Makes me smile.

5 Anna Kitchens-Culp March 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Yes, appropriate discussion of SEX (gasp!) is so refreshing. You mentioned that as a mood boost in that recent happiness interview, right? Women so often talk about what they’re cooking, crafting, cleaning for their families, or what they’re styling, shopping, or reading for themselves…but it’s good to acknowledge that marriage has that other fun, frequent (relatively) activity, and that we should jump on the desire whenever we can. I imagine that wasn’t the point of this post at all (birthday well-wishes!) but I just wanted to say thanks.

6 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:51 am

Thank you, Liz (and to all of you!). I love what you wrote:

“Everyone deserves to have someone look at them that way”

I agree!!

7 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 7, 2012 at 6:46 am

Happy birthday, Ben Blair! Thank you for sharing your wonderful family with us. Blessings to you as you celebrate your birthday and plan your next adventure.

8 Krystle @ ColorTransformedFamily March 7, 2012 at 7:09 am

I love your #3. I am sure he always thinks your beautiful because he can always see the beauty on the inside of you too. While I was pregnant my husband continually told me how beautiful he thought I was. It meant so much to me and I reminded myself of that every time I looked in the mirror and didn’t feel so hot.

9 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:42 am

What a good husband you have!

10 vermontmommy March 7, 2012 at 7:15 am

Awww, my hubby is quite similar too. Makes my heart happy when men are so wonderful to the woman they love.

11 Christi March 7, 2012 at 7:17 am

What a blessing to share your life with such a wonderful man! Happy birthday to Ben Blair!

12 Jen Byard March 7, 2012 at 7:22 am

He sounds like a keeper! Thanks for such a sweet post about your husband. You both are a great example of a loving marriage. Happy Birthday!

13 Cheryl Markel @ Artsy Redhead March 7, 2012 at 7:32 am

Happy Birthday Ben Blair! I hope this day is filled with beauty and wonder for you, as you seem to have an exceptionally beautiful wife and family. Gabrielle, this is certainly not TMI, and I am glad you shared. I naturally “talk too much”, hence “say too much”, so it is good to hear a little extra info from others on occasion. Much Love to you both! xo

14 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:43 am

I’m glad it wasn’t TMI for you, Cheryl! Thanks for the reassurance.

15 Shay March 7, 2012 at 7:35 am

Gabrielle, I have to comment that I love the voice you bring to the internet. You are always positive and uplifting, interesting and innovative. Please keep doing what you do!

16 Tasha March 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Yes! This is such a comforting place to “be” and enriching! It is my only blogging activity and I tell everyone about it! About the hubby – I was JUST thinking the other day – I feel so beautiful when I see myself through my husband’s eyes – he calls me cute and at 45 that’s special, especially having lost some confidence over the years physically. I hope he tells me when I’m 90! :)
I DO think people are “afraid” to express good news in the worry it will sound like boasting. So I’ll follow up with the “We’re not perfect together everyday, but the good is great!”
Gabrielle, you always handle this stuff so well – it’s why we all feel open and free to share as well:)

17 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:45 am

“I feel so beautiful when I see myself through my husband’s eyes”

I LOVE that, Tasha!!

18 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:44 am

Thank you, Shay! That means a ton. I really appreciate your kind words.

19 Aliesha March 7, 2012 at 7:44 am

Just wanted to say that I find it so inspiring to hear how much you truly love, treasure, and appreciate your great marriage. It is refreshing and wonderful to read.

Also, just reread your “Double A” post and it is one of my favorites. So funny :)

20 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:45 am

Hah! Double A was another TMI post. : )

21 Lisa Clark March 7, 2012 at 8:18 am

Ben Blair is one of the best people I know. And you two are a perfect fit!

22 jess March 7, 2012 at 8:27 am

#3 is actually a very important thing for a husband to be good at. Could save some marriages, I think.

23 Erin | Holtwood Hipster March 7, 2012 at 9:00 am

Love the words you wrote about your husband here! Mine also has a birthday this week. Between you and Jordan, I’m stocked up on birthday celebration inspiration- that I plan to put to use this week!

24 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:50 am

Happy birthday to your husband, Erin!

25 Molly Winn March 7, 2012 at 9:27 am

Ah, happy birthday Ben Blair! Hope its a great one!

26 juliagblair March 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Happy Birthday, Ben!! So proud of you and your family. You are a
marvelous man! Hugs and kisses to all eight of you!!!

27 Rosario March 7, 2012 at 10:40 am

I love the way you talk about your husband… Happy Birthday for Ben!

28 amy c March 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

Happy birthday Ben Blair! I love the way you have described your husband. You are a wonderfully blessed woman. Just like he is a wonderfully blessed man to have you. :)

29 Jo(ke) March 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

Happy birthday to your husband! Are the garlands from Hema? I love Hema. :)

30 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:49 am

Yes! They’re from HEMA. I’m a huge fan!

31 Amanda March 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi Gabrielle,

I am a new reader through The Happiness Project. I just want to say that you and Ben Blair seem like beautiful people (inside and out), and it’s no surprise that you found each other. Your family is precious.

Happy Birthday, Ben!

32 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:49 am

I loved getting to do that interview with Gretchen. She’s amazing!

33 Kate March 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That made me smile! Happy birthday to your wonderful husband.

34 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay March 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Happy Birthday to your wonderful Ben Blair.

What a gent!

35 Robin k March 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Happy Birthday to Ben – he is wonderful and one of my favorite people in the world!

36 se7en March 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Happy Birthday – What a guy!!!

37 Milady Griffin March 7, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Love number 3! As an 8 month prego lady myself right now, I have to say that I love this about my hubby, too. It is easy to feel disgusting right now, and he does a good job of not letting me feel that way for long!

Number 2 is pretty awesome, too!

Happy birthday BB!

38 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:48 am

It’s so hard to feel pretty when you’re very, very pregnant. : )

39 Sara March 7, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Happy Birthday, Ben Blair! It’s always great to hear how good he is to you :). You guys are the dynamic duo, for sure.

40 juliagblair March 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Really loved and appreciated Gabby’s beautiful tribute to Ben.
He loves and appreciates her also!

41 sarah jane March 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Happy Birthday, Ben Blair! He definitely sounds like a keeper. #3…amazing…rare…he’s a keeper.

42 Allison March 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Happy happy day!!!!

43 Yamila March 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Happy Birthday Ben Blair.
What a great wife you have there.
(that rhymes)

What did you guys get up to for his birthday.
It was also my birthday on the 6th March and we went to Jamie Oliver’s Italian restaurant in Sydney with our two adorable kids (22 months and 4 year old). They were well-behaved and the food was yummy as.
Love your blog, read it all the time! xx

44 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:47 am

Happy belated birthday, Yamila! We have a dinner plans for tomorrow night. We’re excited to try this restaurant we’ve heard about!

45 sara March 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm

You guys are a fantastic couple :) Happy Birthday Mr. B :)

46 gina vide March 8, 2012 at 3:39 am

Three Cheers for March 7th Birthdays!!! I baked Ginger Cookies in honor of my Grandmother, born on this day, yesterday! From all that I understand of him, knowing that they share the day makes him all the greater. A good one, indeed! Wishing you a week of celebration and Happy International Women’s Day!! Warm Wishes Gina

47 Design Mom March 8, 2012 at 6:46 am

Hooray for your Grandmother!

48 Kat March 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

thats one of the sweetest things written on husband’s birthdays. makes me love mine even more. :) and yes, the good men in our lives deserve acknowledgement. thanks for sharing!

49 Petra Palmer March 8, 2012 at 8:40 am

I love that you appreciate how he is to the world, to your children and to you. Nothing wrong with expressing your gratitude in that way and sharing your joy. I always take delight in great matches; this world needs strong, loving, good families as its foundation!

50 Tiffany March 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

Amen Sista’s!!!!!!!!!!!! I love what you all wrote- I love what Gabby wrote in #3! Thank HEAVEN’S for FABULOUS thoughtful husbands (and for March bdays-mine is the 9th!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51 kpriss March 9, 2012 at 2:03 am

Happy Birthday to you too, Tiffany! Blessings and happiness! :*

52 Kirsty March 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Hooray for us normal ugly people too – so tired of those young, beautiful things out there in Blogsville showing off perfect lives that are just staged to look so.
Thank you for sharing ‘real’ – warts and all.

53 kpriss March 9, 2012 at 2:03 am

I know I’m a bit late on this one – but I really wanted to say Happy Birthday, Ben Blair! Although I don’t know you personally, I bet you’re just as amazing as Gabby is, so that makes me double the pleasure of counting you as my “virtual” friends, people I love reading / hearing about and that I find really inspiring! Keep growing strong! Happy Birthday!

54 Cortnie March 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I’m glad you shared #3 – such a special and wonderful thing!

55 Kate The Great March 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

It’s not TMI, Gabby. In fact, your TMI posts are my favorite–they prove that you’re a well-rounded girl and that you find happiness on many fronts, and not just the visually aesthetic. They also prove that you’re honest and that your writing is beautiful. All the more reason for me to keep reading.

56 Stephanie smirnov March 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Gabby, you and Ben Blair are so inspiring. I hope his birthday was wonderful.

57 Natasha May 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Happy Birthday Ben!!!!!

58 Dina March 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm

oh, love your blog….i hope one day i have even an ounce of your endless happiness that your lovely family brings you, looks like evry day is some wonderful adventure, can’t wait to see the cottage