Easter Tree

March 26, 2012

We don’t usually put up much in the way of Easter decorations — spring flowers and colored eggs are plenty festive. But I found these tiny wooden ornaments at a bargain price (about $3 for a set of 10) and was drawn to them like a magnet! So I thought it would be fun to put together a simple Easter tree this year.

Over the weekend we cut a few branches of forsythia, secured them in a vase with pebbles and water, and hung the little ornaments among the blossoms. The kids loved it! June especially. She’s at that age where every new activity is mind-blowingly wonderful.

Have you ever decorated an Easter tree before? Do you put up other spring decorations? Have you decided how you’ll dye your eggs this year?

P.S. — My one and only other Easter tree was a wonderful gift from my friend Megan, right before we moved from New York.

1 deb March 26, 2012 at 6:46 am

I have wooden ornaments just like those, although now my kids are all big I haven’t put them up in years – wonder where they are?

2 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:40 am

I hope you find them, Deb!

3 teresa March 26, 2012 at 6:47 am

forsythia is blooming in my yard too…love it. I use to put up a Easter tree….haven’t done it for a while….well since the kids left home….I think I will put a forsythia one this year…..thanks

4 Anna March 26, 2012 at 6:50 am

We have a large Easter tree! Every year we paint blown out eggs and then add them to the tree. I love them because the first ones are just a mess since the children were so young and now they are getting more detailed every year as the children get older.

5 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:41 am

That sounds wonderful, Anna! I’ll bet your kids LOVE that tradition.

6 Giulia March 26, 2012 at 6:56 am

My mother had/has this great collection of Russian blown eggs and she decorated an Easter tree every year. I usually pull out our two cute Easter bunnies and add candy. This year I got this great wreath – it’s not Easter themed, but I think it works great. http://www.fishlynews.com/2012/03/bright-woody-disks-for-easter.html
I’m debating on decorating the eggs with neon colours or temporary tatoos – maybe both?

7 Gina March 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

Lucky you with your Forsythia blooms in your very own back yard! This is my kind of decorating. It’s beautiful & June’s little do belongs in a Petter Rabbit Tale in this setting!
We have a tradition to use branches or blooms & decorations of the season, in our family. I love doing this! We have one spot that sets the tone for the whole house & I find by decorating this way — 1) the pick up is easy 2)we have a place that centers us in the season 3) These bouquets last much longer than traditional bouquets because I confess… I’m hot or cold when it comes to waterings! (We do these for everything from Easter to Halloween to birthdays — it’s often the “candy” tree for the candy bags” Love your ornaments – they’re adorable. Do you think yourself accumulating a lot in France or have you been able to hold this to a minimal? I feel like I remember you once saying that you are non-sentimental with houses and belongings?.

8 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:43 am

Seriously. This yard just gives and gives. We are incredibly lucky!

9 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 26, 2012 at 8:50 am

I love this forsythia for an Easter tree! So lovely and unusual!

We didn’t do an Easter tree, but my daughter and I made a Cherry Blossom Origami Lantern tree that I think you might like seeing — I am so in love with it, I’m not sure I’ll be able to take it down any time soon!

10 beyond March 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

when i was growing up we always had one. with little wooden ornaments and decorated (blown-out) eggs. on large pussy willow, cherry blossom or forsythia branches. i must start this tradition for my baby!

11 Amy March 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

We strung eggs to decorate a tree outside for the first time. Hopefully, we can add a few each year and really wow the neighborhood!

I love those little oranaments. How fun!

12 Cortnie March 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

I LOVE Easter trees! Any excuse to decorate a little tree with cute tiny ornaments – can’t resist!

xo
cortnie

13 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:44 am

So true, Cortnie! Why in the world would I resist any chance to hang little ornaments. : )

14 Kelli K March 26, 2012 at 10:39 am

One of my earliest memories is helping my mom secure plastic eggs on yarn to hang on our front yard ash tree. We’ve stopped the tradition several years ago, but someday I want to start it up again for my own family.

15 Mags March 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

I love your cheery little tree! The forsythia is currently exploding over here, too…

We used to put up an Easter tree every year growing up: Ours was a collection of small, gnarled tree branches spray-painted white — and the ornaments looked a lot like the ones you found, in fact. They really take me back…

Last year was the first time I made an Easter tree of my own (http://goo.gl/3hHBj); I used pussy willow branches and made some blown-egg ornaments (colored with Not Martha’s dye instructions!) and hung them around the little buds. I loved how simple and spring-like it looked!

16 Kim March 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Obe night after reading a bedtime story, When my daughter was two she said “I wish the Easter bunny would bring me a chocolate egg tree” so every year the Easter bunny threads chocolate eggs on a branch and leaves her a chocolate egg tree:) I put a Dead branch in a pot filled with rocks:)

17 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:44 am

Wow! That’s one dedicated Easter Bunny.

18 Elizabeth Rodriguez March 26, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Growing up we decorated the magnolia tree in our front yard with plastic eggs strung with fishing line. I have continued this tradition with my kids using a plum tree we planted in the back yard when my son was born. The trick is getting the eggs on before the tree blooms! Happy Easter!

19 Adriana March 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Did you find the ornaments in France?

20 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 4:45 am

Yes. I found them at a store called Gifi.

21 Anneliese March 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

My mother would do an Easter tree just like this every year–with blooming branches and wooden ornaments from Germany. It makes me so sentimental!

22 linda March 27, 2012 at 6:24 am

Those ornaments are adorable. Have to go on a hunt to find something like them…I don’t think I can make it to Gifi in France, but boy would I love to try! They don’t by chance ship to the states? P.S. Thanks for the Minted website info. I just ordered our first ever really snazzy Easter card. Can’t wait to get them. Happy Easter.

23 Mishti March 27, 2012 at 6:34 am

Oh that little June of yours is growing Gabrielle! :) So excited to see what you do for her 2nd birthday in May :)

24 Michelle March 27, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is a great idea! We have forsythia blooming in our backyard also. Its the perfect shade of cheery yellow to put us in that Easter mood.

25 Stephanie March 29, 2012 at 3:00 am

We had pretty much exactly the same Easter trees growing up in Germany. I would guess the wooden decorations are in fact German. Every year we’d hang them on flowering branches, mostly on forsythia or pussy willow, along with blown out real eggs we’d painted in Kindergarten. Wonderful tradition!