DIY: Flower Seed Pockets

March 27, 2012

Now that it’s warming up, my kids want to be outside as much as possible. So when Helen of Curly Birds told me about her idea for mini seed pockets, I thought they were a perfect activity to get our whole family’s hands dirty in the best possible way. — Gabrielle

——

Flower pockets are a fun spring project and provide plenty of blooms all summer long. The pockets look sweet, and get buried directly in the soil! Better yet, even the littlest of hands can help make them. And I know these same littlest of hands will love giving them to teachers, grandparents, neighbors and friends. They make a great little gift-for-no-reason.

Materials:
1/3 yard Burlap (coffee or rice bags will work too)
Gardening string
Organic potting soil
Seeds
Scissors

Step 1: Cut burlap into 6.5” squares.

Step 2: Put a small handful of potting soil on each square.

Step 3: Liberally sprinkle seed mix onto potting soil.

Step 4: Gather the edges of the burlap up and tie shut with string.

Step 5: You are done! Bury the whole pocket in the ground and the seeds will grow through the burlap.

Warning: These little pockets are addictive to make. Happy planting!

1 Vanja March 27, 2012 at 5:35 am

Very cute! What a perfect, sweet little gift for easter :)

2 Gina March 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Picture Perfect. You have me wanting to roll our sleeves up! We’ve started seeds in little cups but never anything so pretty! In Sweden, we can’t plant until June 1 (frosty north!) but starting slips is necessary. I will definitely use this. Thank you!

3 Summer March 27, 2012 at 6:38 am

These would be fun to make and share with the neighbors or add to the kids Easter baskets. Love this.

4 Design Mom March 27, 2012 at 7:22 am

Super cute in an Easter basket! Great idea.

5 Natalie March 27, 2012 at 7:11 am

This is such a sweet idea! I can see how they can become addictive. They would make a great favor at a garden party or spring soirée. Thanks for sharing!

6 Meaghan March 27, 2012 at 10:29 am

This would be the perfect favor for our outdoor/garden wedding!! Thank you!

7 Lauren March 27, 2012 at 10:38 am

Love this idea! I bought a couple yards of burlap over the holidays to wrap around the base of our Christmas tree. Since then, I’ve been having so much fun using it up- I cut strips to tie around vases for a baby shower and have made a curtain for the laundry room. I think this will be my next burlap project!

8 Christa the BabbyMama March 27, 2012 at 11:46 am

We’re just now starting to get our yard in order for the next growing season and I am loving this idea! I’d just need to find the burlap. :)

9 Kathleen March 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm

We missed potting microsprouts at my son’s preschool today due to his cold, so maybe we’ll try this instead! thanks- his grandmas and godmother will love them.

10 Jo March 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm

This is the best idea I have seen for ages. We live on an island off of the south coast of England,and we are working with an initiative to ‘green’ the island and grow as much food as we can. I love this idea, and will be sharing it with the homeschool group and our community- thank you so much :)

11 Tan March 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

We’re giving away stamped muslin bags with seed bombs as our wedding favours. I’m thinking this will be a lot simpler!

12 teresa March 28, 2012 at 3:45 am

oh my goodness this is a way awesome idea- love it.
and I have tons of burlap sitting around- you just gave me my weekend project. =)

13 Helen March 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

Thank you all – I’m so pleased you all like our project. My girls and I had so much fun making them.

14 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’m going to get myself very organized and make these with the kids when they’re off school next week so we can give them to all the aunts and uncles and cousins on Easter. Such a sweet idea!

15 Madona April 10, 2012 at 3:43 am

Wow Gabrielle thats so sweet! you are very talented Gardner! Can you teach me some more tricks for garden magic? Anyways keep blogging!

16 Liz Viducich March 3, 2013 at 8:10 am

Can you put these in a pot or do they need to be outside? Such a cute idea!

17 Natalie A. March 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm

What a lovely idea! I am going to make these for favors for my sister-in-law to-be’s bridal shower next month. The theme is April Showers Bring May flowers, with t shower in April & the wedding is in May. How perfect. Thank you!

18 maria maxey March 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Hello amy i enjoyed very much your tips and great ideas crafts and more.I yoo love crafts and quilting and of course i’m writting a family and friends cookbook.
IN my dads memory he passed awy from cancer.But i still need help find someone to print the cookbooks,with very little income.I ‘ve held many yard sales ,lots of my baked goods.and much more,but due to my health i’m not able to do hardly any thing.BUT I HAVE FAITH IN GOD,THAT SOMEDAY MY COOKBOOKS WILL BE OUT THERE AND EVERYONE WILL ENJOY IT.
I ALSO I’M ATOTALLY NUT WHEN IT COMES TO RECYLING AND REUSE REPLANT.MY BEAUTIFUL GARDENS AND HERBS THRIVE ON ALL MY RECYLING ITEAMS TOO THAT I SAVE FOR HE GARDENS.THANK GOD FOR MY GREEN THUMBS AND MY FRIEND HELP TO DO ALL MY GARDEN WORKS.JUST THJANK YOU .PS I ALSO HAVE MADE THESEEDS POCKETS THEY ARE NOW STARTING TO GROW.THANK YOU AGAIN .ANGEL GARDEN GRANDMES

19 Bess April 23, 2013 at 3:27 am

I struggle to think of any variety of seed that would do well planted like this. It is asking too much of a seedling to grow through that amount of soil and burlap before it reaches sunlight and is able to sustain itself.

20 Sharon peacock April 12, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Lol, the most beautiful things are often those that have grown through a struggle. We have a lot to learn from these persistent little seeds.

21 Sashka March 17, 2014 at 11:27 am

What a great idea !!!!! Can’t wait to try this and enjoy with my youngest one watching all sorts of flowers grow :) Thank You so much for sharing this lovely activity!