A Few Things

March 30, 2012

Hello, Friends! Are you ready for the weekend? We are headed on a little roadtrip to Stonehenge! We toyed with the idea of going last month, but realized we were still waiting on a few visa-related documents and shouldn’t leave the country. Happily, the visa stuff is all current now, so we can come and go again with ease. Thank goodness.

I’ve written down all your Stonehenge tips from the previous post, but if you have any more to add, I’d love to read them. You guys always give the best travel tips!

While I pack everyone’s overnight bags, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
- What’s the most important thing in your bag?
- Glowing jars.
- Is it hammock time yet?
- Two fun kickstarter projects — a paper doll coloring book, and modular dollhouses.
- Very French Gangsters.
- I reloaded this like 20 times, and laughed harder every time.
- Another fun, candy-free idea for your Easter baskets.
- Are you kidding me? I am so making these.
- Ben Blair sent me this video. It’s cool with a capital C.

I also write for Babble.com. Here are this week’s posts:
- Are you wearing coral this spring? Here are 20 reasons why you might want to.
- What do you think about this swimwear? I hear Madonna and Gwyneth put their kids in these.
- Here’s a new line just for boys (and tomboys!).
- An upcycled take on Easter Eggs.
- Win cute stuff from Mimi the Sardine!

I hope you have a marvelous weekend — and maybe squeeze in an adventure too! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The photo of June is from my instagram. I had an appointment this morning and she was feeling shy in the waiting room.

1 Molly Winn March 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

June looks so precious in this photo!

2 annabelvita March 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

Are you going by train or car? I think you’d love Bath and it’s not that far from Stonehenge. I also like Winchester (the museum is fantastic! it has all the insides of any old shops that were ripped out – like an old apothecary and perfectly preserved tobacco shop).

3 teacupmoments March 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

Are you also going to Bath? The Roman Baths are great and the place is lovely, and not too far from Stonehenge.

4 My Name is Jacy March 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I totally agree with this! I loved The Roman Baths! So cool!

5 Pam G March 30, 2012 at 9:15 am

We live in Bristol which isn’t too far from Stonehenge, but Salisbury is REALLY close to Stonehenge and it’s a beautiful cathedral city. It’s most magical at night as the cathedral looks as if it’s levitating. Hope you all have a wonderful trip!

6 rb March 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

June’s shoes are adorable! Do you mind sharing the brand?

7 Lindsay L March 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yes I was hoping to know where you found those shoes as well! She is such a cutie.

8 Design Mom April 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

They’re from DPAM. They’ve held up very well!

9 Jeannie Lorenz March 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

That is a beautiful baby picture of little June. I love the curls. The green outfit is beautiful.

10 Dana March 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

Precious, precious photo of that darling baby…Mrs. Blair, your Friday posts are my favorites! Have a wonderful trip; we can’t wait to hear about it. Did you know HGTV has a new series about expats living abroad? xo

11 Meaghan March 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

I watched the Tokyo and Dubai episodes last night and thought, “They need to get in touch with the Blairs!” I’d love to see that episode! :D

12 susan March 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

One word only to describe picture………..Adorable!

13 whitney March 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Such a darling photo! And what a fabulous place to wait with the lime green couch.

14 Rebecca Grace March 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I can’t wait to see your pictures from Stonehenge. I’ve never been there, and one of my kids just did a report on how archaeologists used tree ring dating on some timber beams there. From the pictures, I only see stone, so I’d love to check it out in person someday! Have a great trip!

15 Paige March 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm

June is so precious. I look forward to hearing about your Stonehenge adventure.

16 Kelly March 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Very, very cool. Can’t wait to hear/see all about it, as I used to be fascinated by Druids & related topics. Although now, I can’t hear “Stonehenge” without thinking of Spinal Tap. ;-)

Have fun!

17 Jillian March 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Oh those pancakes look so delicious!
And I too couldn’t stop reloading the euphemism converter. That’s seriously funny stuff. I think “spiking the cherry goggles” has to be one of the best!

18 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Ok that swimwear is darling! I wonder if it is crazy expensive, I didn’t check. I struggle with my daughter because I like her to be covered so she doesn’t burn but she prefers cute one pieces to the more boyish rash guard styles, even if I get them in pink. These are so pretty!

19 Design Mom April 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I hadn’t heard about the show. I’ll have to check it out!

20 Christi March 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Can’t wait to see the pics of your trip to Stonehenge! I hope to visit too someday. And, lovely picture of June. She is such a little doll!

21 Sol March 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm

hi there

if you go to Stonehenge dont for get that there is Old Wardour castle (from robbin hood prince of thieves when they find the blind man), and old sarum really close by. Old Sarum has a view over Salisbury. And was I think the original site of the cathedral. I have just looked and English Heritage does membership, so that would make it super cheap . If I read it correctly then you can take 6 children in each for free if the adults are members… you might want to check that.

Out of interest do they have the equivelant of this in France? Coming to Normandy my self in May.

Bath is very close as mentioned before. the baths are fantastic.

and then there are national trust place (am waxing lyrical now…), like Lacock abbey, harry potter was filmed there. and if you are driving and going to bath the National Trust also has Dyrham Park, lovely house and gardens to die for. National trust also do membership.

Can you tell I am a history person? Have you been to the Bayeux tapestry? Is it worth a visit?

Gosh Sorry I have waffled on

22 Shannon { A Mom's Year } March 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I just bought some skinny coral pants on clearance at Macy’s! I feel quite reckless. I love the photo you posted with the coral pants paired with a blue-and-white-striped shirt. I never would have thought of that on my own, but I love how it looks. Thanks for the idea!

Have fun at Stonehenge!

23 Maureen March 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm

We live not far from Stonehenge, and do recommend English heritage membership if you plan on another English trip. Salisbury is super close by, and we usually combine the two for a day trip with our visitors. Avebury is somewhat closeby, but much larger and free, if you think you can fit it in. Bath deserves an overnight. Have fun!

24 Neda March 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Stonehenge will be quick, so definitely plan something else for the day (and make sure to get the audio guides, I bet your kids will enjoy listening like my 7 year old). Bath is close by, a nice city and the Roman Baths and the Cathedral are fun to tour.

HOWEVER, I would suggest a visit to Longleat – it’s probably only half an hour to 45 mins away from Stonehenge, has a beautiful estate, a safari park and (allegedly) the world’s longest hedge maze. It really is a fun maze to tour, plus there is a playground and other things to see there as well. You would probably choose between the maze area and the safari park, depending on your day. We just did the hedge maze and loved it – so very English! http://www.longleat.co.uk

25 Alicia March 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Where does June sleep when you are traveling? We are going to a wedding in NYC this summer and my littlest will be 10 months old. I hate to lug a pack n play and I’m guessing it wouldn’t fit in the hotel room anyway (I heard they can be VERY small). Curious what you guys have done. :)

26 elizabeth March 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Love the microsoft video … cool, indeed. Corning has two “A Day Made of Glass” videos, along similar lines:

And enjoy Stonehenge. I confess that on our last visit to the UK we drove along a country road, stopped and pointed at Stonehenge, telling the kids, “That’s what Stonehenge looks like, but it’s bigger close-up.” We were between family commitments … next time we’ll have to book the sun-rise tour to make up for it!

e

27 LaBella Luxe March 31, 2012 at 12:36 am

What a precious little angel in the picture! Love her outfit and shoes!

28 Cath March 31, 2012 at 9:10 am

I grew up near Stonehenge and I second the idea of visiting Old Wardour Castle and Salisbury – both great days out. My tip would be to buy a 1 or 2 week overseas visitors pass:

Also take a jumper – even if it seems warm in the car park, it is always blowing a gale round Stonehenge!

29 Doreen March 31, 2012 at 10:03 am

Just found your beautiful blog through Pinterest. Drilling through glass jars is on my wanna-do list—but it will have to wait until after our trip to…..Paris!!!!!
Don’t think we’ll make it to the countryside on this visit, though. Any suggestions on flea markets?

30 Lola March 31, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I’ve just seen that I’m not the only one fishing for insider tips :D!

31 Design Mom April 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm

My sister Jordan wrote a great post about finding the Paris flea market! Here is the link: http://ohhappyday.com/2011/03/how-to-get-to-the-paris-flea-market/

32 Lola March 31, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Such a pity you didn’t come during the week – it was so hot they declared drought conditions! But Stonehenge is wonderful, I drove past it last summer and was awed even then – I hope you’re loving it.

And it’s a little late now, but I totally back the recommendations for Bath, Salisbury or Winchester – very calm, pretty, historical places to visit.

Out of interest, I’m going to be visiting Paris (and Madrid) this summer. I was wondering if you have any particular recommendations? I’ve been before so know and love all of the big attractions, but any ‘local’ tips would be much appreciated! And I don’t think you’ve been to Madrid (yet), but if any of your readers spot this and have any favourite places there, I’d love their comments!

Lola

33 Mary March 31, 2012 at 3:55 pm

What a little red cheeked beauty!

34 Kristen March 31, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Ahh! I hope you stop at Avebury! Somewhat less popular with tourists, though I think it’s a bit nicer than Stonehenge. You can actually touch the stones :) And it’s not terribly far from Stonehenge – little less than an hour.

35 Janie March 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I want to make the glowing jars for a girls camp I’ll be attending this summer. Thanks for the inspiration!

36 Erin W March 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm

The “very french gangsters” and easter egg links are the same.

Also, I love coral!

37 Design Mom April 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Erin! The links should work now.

38 Orlene April 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

We have that same PO.P cardigan! Have fun at Stonehenge!

39 Design Mom April 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm

It’s the cutest! I love the little plaid buttons.

40 Verena April 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Gabrielle, I just found your wonderful blog!!! I´m excited and looking forward to read more.
I hope you had a great weekend.
Greetings from Germany,
Verena

41 Franca Bollo April 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Sorry if you’ve already answered this, but have you extended your stay in France?

42 Nicola @ N is For Love April 2, 2012 at 1:04 am

She is super cute ;-)

I am sure you will totally love Stonehenge, it is such an awesome site. Like Kristen said, you must get to Avebury, it is so much more fun because you can touch/sit on the stones. Brilliant.

43 Hanna April 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

I took a look at your instagram photos and I must say some of them are really beautiful! I didn’t know you are such a tallented photographer!

44 Ann April 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

Thanks for the links! Great June photo – love her outfit! Hope you are having a great trip!