What to Wear to Alt Summit

February 28, 2012

Alt Summit was over a month ago, but I’m still fielding questions about what I wore to the conference, so I thought I’d share a little wardrobe tour. But before I start I should tell you that these pictures were taken on a downer sort of day, and the simple act of putting on a real outfit (and lipstick!)  turned things around in a jiffy. I need to remember that for future bummed-out days!

Outfit 1: I wore this on Thursday during the sessions and panels. It’s a really easy outfit to wear. Comfortable, and made in easy-to-clean fabrics. In fact, I wore it to the market this morning, and I’m wearing it right now as I type. Except I’ve switched out the heels for black flats. Heels are great for a conference, but not as fun on cobblestone streets.

Turtleneck from Uniqlo, skirt from H&M ($10!!), tights from the grocery store, booties from Zara, necklace from I can’t remember — I’ve had it for ages.

Outfit 2: I wore this on Friday during sessions and panels. I love this dress because you could pair it with a million things and it’s such a complementary shape. I like the neckline and I like where the sleeves hit.

Dress from Uniqlo, necklace from H&M or maybe Target, I’ve had it for ages too, tights from the grocery store, shoes by C. Louboutin (found these for a bargain on Ebay!).

Outfit 3: This is another version of the outfit I talked about last week, but instead of denim, I paired a button-down with high-waisted cropped pants. The pants have some tuxedo detailing so they feel a little dressy. I wore this outfit on Saturday during the Design Camps. I loved how I felt in this outfit!

Silk scarf from a market in Florence, button-down from Uniqlo, cuff was a gift from Mara, pants from H&M, shoes by Simply Vera Wang. NEWS: more about the cuff bracelet here — it was made by Sarah Alice Fulton.

Outfit 4: I wore this on Wednesday, which is the day most attendees arrive and get registered.

Is anyone else happy that drop-waist styles have started appearing again? They are so kind to mom tummies! And the wedge boots are kind to moms too. I adore wedges! They give you the sexiness of heels, but you can walk in them easily.

Dress from Naf Naf (it’s my favorite French shop for finding dresses), tights and boots from Zara. Initial necklace was a gift from my sister Sara. She found it at Sundance.

Outfit 5: I brought this outfit to wear during the Friday Night Mini Parties, but ended up switching out the dress for this turquoise one, because clever Sarah brought gowns that were perfect for our Chinese New Year theme! I like this outfit. Very simple with little glam touches on zippers, shoes and earrings. Plus, after wearing heels all day, it’s so nice to have flats to wear in the evening!

I also have to say, I’m so glad there are tons of really thick tights available these days. When I wear them, I feel like I have leggings on, and I appreciate the extra coverage.

Dress and flats from Zara, earrings from Naf Naf, tights from the grocery store.

Outfit 6: Here’s a glimpse of what I wore to the Thursday Night Diner en Blanc Party. I’ll be honest, this outfit wasn’t my favorite. It fit right in among all that white, but I felt like a bride. : ) Also. I regretted not wearing flats that night. My poor feet!

Maxi skirt from Naf Naf, lace top from Zara. Pearls from my Grandma Daisy. Shoes by Simply Vera Wang.

Well, what do you think? Is there anything here you could work into your own wardrobe? Do you like getting dressed in the morning? Or would you rather not think about clothing at all?

P.S. — Ben Blair was the photographer on these images. He did such a great job!

1 Alexandra February 28, 2012 at 8:31 am

Wow!! You look gorgeous!! I love that you combined so many pieces from Zara and look like a million bucks in each and every outfit! Your husband did a wonderful job photographing you! (Mine is still learning. :) Thank you for sharing!

2 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:07 am

Thank you, Alexandra! I was so pleased with how the photos turned out. I swear, for every 100 photos taken of me, I’ll typically look decent in 1 of them. My kids will joke that I’m the least photogenic person on the planet. And I agree! I definitely got lucky on this shoot. : )

3 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag February 28, 2012 at 8:33 am

Gabrielle, you look so lovely in every one of these outfits! I love that drop waisted dress. But you know what I really love? YOUR HAIR!

4 juliagblair February 28, 2012 at 8:36 am

BEAUTIFUL! GREAT OUTFITS! GREAT PHOTOS! GREAT LADY!

5 Molly@TheNestingGame February 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

Gabby, I loved seeing your outfits throughout the conference. I love your mini-party plan-A dress with the zippers!

Here’s what I wore, though I can’t say I looked half as chic as you did, or had nearly as good a photographer:

6 Molly Winn February 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

STUNNING!! All of them! Ohmygoodness you look lovely and stylish and just plain GORGEOUS!

7 Organic Cents February 28, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love your style. How do you find clothes shopping in France (price, selection, quality)? Have you picked up really special pieces that you will keep forever?

8 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:09 am

Shopping is definitely different for me here, because we are in the countryside. So I have to drive to the next big city — or Paris! — if I want great shopping choices. That means I have to be decisive, because I can’t return something easily if I don’t like it. Learning to be more decisive about clothes has been good for me.

9 Emily February 28, 2012 at 8:48 am

That pink is a great bright color. I always wear a ton of neutrals and I’m trying to add more color back in. I packed for a trip back to Maine for Thanksgiving and realized I had only packed grey! How sad!

10 Jen in TX February 28, 2012 at 8:55 am

Gabby, you make everything look stylish. You go girl!

11 Jennifer February 28, 2012 at 8:55 am

Beautiful outfits. I would absolutely love to own that pink skirt. Love it!

12 Susan February 28, 2012 at 8:58 am

Beautiful outfits, it inspires me to go play dress up in my closet!

13 The New Diplomats Wife February 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

you did such a great job with your outfits – i would totally go for that black dress with the zippers (in fact, I did go for a black dress with zipper on back but on thursday) buy your blue shirt/tuxedo pant/nude heels was my favorite- very ines de la fressange – you looked great!

14 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:10 am

She is one of my fashion idols! Thank you for the compliment!

15 Kate February 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

You are SO stylish. And those red shoes? Just to die for.

16 Ris February 28, 2012 at 9:21 am

LOVE the red shoes. You know what else I love? That you’re such a fun and stylish mom, proving that it IS possible!

17 Noemi@GetFreeBabyCoupons.com February 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

Stunning outfits, I love them and BTW great photos too. :)

18 Helen February 28, 2012 at 9:27 am

You look so French in that first outfit – love it!

I like the idea of caring about what I wear, but I battle with spending time and money on outfits.

19 erin / dfm February 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

you looked STUNNING the whole weekend long – so glad to have photographic evidence of the style you ooze! and i will never, ever forget outfit 3 – you looked SLAMMING! :)

20 Laura February 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

Love. I adore the variety in your style. It reminds
me that we still have that ability, to play the fantasy game when we get dressed every day:)

21 Briana February 28, 2012 at 9:42 am

Fantastic outfits. Stylish, pulled together, yet effortless. High five, Gabby!

22 Tanya February 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

So pretty! And stylish. You are such a great example to Mom’s; it’s still possible to have kiddies and not sacrifices style!!! You looked fantastic!

23 Mara {A Blog About Love} February 28, 2012 at 9:49 am

You looked stunning at Alt! I loved seeing your outfits (& shoes!) everyday. You make me want to go to Zara to ck out their shoes. I remember Naf Naf when I lived in Paris….I bought a beautiful French suit and a summer dress there. Wish I still had them around. I’ve been wanting to get some photos up of what I wore to Alt, too – those are still coming…

24 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:05 am

Can’t wait to see your Alt fashion posts. Your outfits were outstanding!

25 Mags February 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

I am so with you on feeling better about myself and life in general when I take a few extra minutes to dress thoughtfully and put on a little makeup in the morning. I work from home, and people still comment about how jealous they are that I get to stay in pajamas or sweats all day…but for me, that’s the quickest way to feel “blah.” Any of these outfits would lift my mood in a heartbeat (particularly that sweet LBD). You look great!

26 Heidi February 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’m also a big fan of the drop-waist dresses, they are so flattering.
I’m having a hard time believing that you have a mommy tummy to hide. Either you’re exaggerating or you really know how to dress your body! Either way, you look amazing!

27 maria February 28, 2012 at 10:13 am

so inspired by your taste- truly great! I love the point you make about dressing up and putting lipstick on to turn your day around. That triggered a realization for me- my mom has always gotten dressed and put lipstick on every day, (even when she’s home alone), and she is one of the happiest people I know. I think I may need to reconsider my no makeup days- there is something that just feels so good about pulling yourself together; now I understand why my dear mother is do dedicated to this practice!

28 everton terrace February 28, 2012 at 10:13 am

Tres Chic! Really fantastic choices and as always, I love your hair. Don’t think you looked bride like, really like that outfit.
My favorite part was – tights from the grocery store, just made me smile :)

29 Amy3 February 28, 2012 at 10:16 am

I love these! You did a great job of pulling together interesting, wearable outfits that look effortless. I also like the way you mix higher-end pieces with easily-obtained items (like tights from the grocery store!). And Ben Blair’s photographs are beautiful.

30 Sandra February 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

So has your style changed since living in France? I find that French and Czech women are SOOOO stylish.

And btw, who took the photos? Lovely composition…

31 Sandra February 28, 2012 at 10:27 am

I just saw that Ben did the photos – great job! But he/you already knew that…

32 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:03 am

Ben Blair is the best!

33 sarah February 28, 2012 at 10:39 am

loved the pant look. you definitely look the tallest and sexiest in that outfit.
thanks for posting.

34 Lori H February 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

You look so chic! I have a hard time finding dresses, but I like all of yours. I think it helps to see them on someone.

35 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:02 am

I agree! It can be hard to see a dress on a hanger and get a feel for how it would look on a body. You really have to try them on.

36 Ann February 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

so CUTE!!! clothes can definitely make you feel better (or worse)!

37 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:01 am

So true!

38 Mackenzie Byersdorf February 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Those outfits are beautiful! It’s nice to see beautiful outfits that a mom can wear, as I’m a new mom :) Thanks for sharing!

39 Jeudi February 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

You look fabulous! I would add all of these looks to my wardrobe. Thanks for the continual fashion & design inspiration. xo,j

40 Margie February 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Wow … you’ve got such style! Loved all the looks.

41 Lisa February 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I loved these outfits! Wow, you look stunning! :) I really loved that you showed some affordable items that can fit in my tiny budget. Hope you’ll do something like this again!

42 Sandra Gonzales February 28, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I can’t choose my favorite look. You are breath-taking in all the pics!

43 Alice February 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I love all your outfits (especially that black dress with golden zips) and could wear any of them except for heels. Crazy heels. I would break a leg just trying to walk down the corridor, how can you do all the standing up a conference entails with those heels? I’m impressed!

44 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 6:01 am

So funny! The nude heels are especially tall, but they have this built in platform so they’re not too hard to walk in. But man oh man I feel tall in them!

45 Cathi February 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Wow! You look simply gorgeous!!

46 Sarah K February 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

You look adorable! What I love is that the looks are so simple, as if you didn’t try hard to be so stylish, yet you are looking so stylish!

47 Corinne February 28, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Nice! As fun as a Oscar dress tour….cause these items are attainable.
LUUUV the shoes.

48 tanya smith February 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

You are looking so French. It totally suits you. I used to love to get dressed up but since I have the kids now and work from home in my basement I rarely have the opportunity. So sad!

49 Meg B February 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Great looks!! You make it seem so effortless, I love it!! I love the gray bag in the photos. Where did you find that?

50 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 9:21 am

So glad you asked! The bag is from a company called MRKT. Here’s a link to a post I wrote about it: http://www.designmom.com/2012/01/carry-on/

51 Sarah February 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

ZARA SHOE ENVY! well done, you looked a million francs x

52 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:59 am

I have no idea who designs the Zara shoe line, but clearly, I am a HUGE fan!

53 CeeBee February 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm

What is French for magnificent? All the sex with Ben Blair mentioned in that interview is paying off! You look amazing, and the clothes are so you — effortless chic, and not too fussy like other Alt pics I’ve seen. Thanks for sharing!

54 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:59 am

Hah! It’s the only real exercise I get. : )

55 Marlo Hughen February 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It’s the styling. You are very good at it. I can acquire good pieces, but I never seem to get the styling totally there. I just let the great piece stand on its own. I’d like to learn how to make a good outfit look great with styling! You are very very talented there. For your family too. You look great and I love the zipper dress.

56 Lucie February 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm

ok, HOW can you possibly be so thin after 6 children!!! Really, what do you do? You look incredible. ANOTHER reason why I am so very jealous of your fabulous life :)

57 Alex Chell February 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I was going to say exactly what Lucie said!

58 Julie February 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm

You look effortlessly chic. Have you always dressed like that or has your styled evolved in recent years?

59 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:58 am

That’s a fun question, Julie. I imagine my style has been influenced by my time here in France, but it’s so hard to see that sort of thing objectively. : )

60 Andrea Howe February 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Gabrielle, I love your style! LOVE! So simple and chic, yet with a flair of trend mixed in for some fun. Very, very pretty. And I love all the dresses you wore. I love dresses, so much easier to get dressed in the morning than having to figure out what top to wear with what skirt, etc…And lastly, how in the world do you look so fabulous after 6 children?!? I hope you look that good after just three :)

61 jennifer February 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm

omg i want ALL these outfits!

62 Marae February 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

can you please wear look three every day (and can you please send me those zara booties?!)? all of these looks are fabulous on you, but three is just PERFECT.

63 audrey moore February 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm

OMG you look like such a babe Gab! I love all the new additions. High waisted tuxedo pants and a button down FTW…that should be your new signature look :) Miss you!

64 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:56 am

Miss you too, Audrey!

65 Martha @ runninginmommyland February 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm

You are adorable! I want that #5 dress too! And…Uniqlo? Going to google it now!

66 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:55 am

Sorry I didn’t include the link. Here you go: http://www.uniqlo.com/

Uniqlo is a Japanese line that’s GREAT for basics.

67 Iren February 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You look great in all photos – but the first outfit I loved the most. You look so stylish, contemporary, fresh and feminine and it seems to be so comfy at the same time. All you need as a woman!

68 Jen Lewis February 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You are adorable.

69 Marielle February 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm

You did a fantastic job with styling! It’s apparent that you are happy in your own skin, or at the very least, self-aware and a bit edgy. Congratulations. BB’s photography rocks.

70 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:54 am

I am happy in my own skin. Thanks for noticing! : )

71 Dee February 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Gorgeous! I love those pleated skirts. Amazing.

72 Andrea February 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Long time reader…through my Google Reader mostly. I haven’t read the previous comments…but I’m SURE someone mentioned how amazing your legs look! Awesome legs + Amazing outfits = BEAUTIFUL. I starred this and I will be using your outfit combos to help my lackluster style. :) Thanks for sharing!

73 Ann February 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm

That is a gorgeous skirt! I think you have the best style! Sometimes I feel jealous of other people’s clothes. Isn’t that a silly thing? Like today at the market I saw a woman wearing cute skinny jeans, flats with a great short, wool, swing coat. I wanted to ask her where she got it but I had to dash out of there. Now I have that coat in my head and must find it! I will obsess over clothes. A few weeks ago I was obsessing over some jeans that I tried on. Should I go back and buy them? No, I have too many! It was back and forth over and over in my brain.

74 Rebecca February 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Lovely! What a sweet photo shoot. It’s inspiring me to be more daring with my wardrobe. Awesome!

75 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:53 am

Yay! Be daring!!

76 Claudia February 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm

simple. chic. unfussy. inspiring.

77 Kelly C February 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm

You look amazing! How I wish putting together pieces like that would come more naturally to me. You strike me as someone who looks put together even on blah days, though!

78 dana February 28, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Seriously? Not enough that you have your beautiful life, devoted hubby, darling children and swoon-worthy home in France, you have impeccable taste in clothing; you know what you love, and what suits you, and you put it all together with an graphic designer’s eye. Next time you’re in the States, can you come to Phoenix and set up a few outfits for me? You look amazing, Gabrielle, and I personally see no evidence of a “mommy tummy”. Brava!

79 dana February 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm

oops, new to tumblr and put incorrect link above!

80 the enchanted home February 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Bet you will be the best dressed girl in town…so chic each and every outfit!

81 Melissa L. February 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

LOVE THOSE RED HEELS!!!! Super styling’ Gabby!

82 Azra February 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I love your style and it suits you so well. :) Thank you.

83 Marta February 28, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Love, love all the outfits!

84 Sarah February 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You look like a million bucks! So stylish! I will definitely need to check out Zara and Uniqlo. Thanks!

85 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:51 am

I hope you do, Sarah! Uniqlo is perfect for basics and Zara always has something that makes my heart go pitty pat. I believe they both have online stores, or you can find them in many big U.S. cities.

86 Maria Petrova February 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Gabrielle…. WOW… WOW… WOW, girl!!!!!!!
You look like this? After 5 kids??? Are you kidding!!!
I am totally in awe.

Favorite outfit = high-waist pants. Wowza.
Second favorite = black dress with zipper sleeves. Coolio.
Third choice = that beguiling pink pleated skirt. So delicate, but on a powerful woman, what a TRIP!

Wow. You inspired me today. Thank you.

87 Emme February 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

You have amazing style!

88 Danielle B. February 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Good Lord, Woman! You could wear a potato sack and look stunning.

You totally rock the little red shoes.

89 Anneliese February 28, 2012 at 10:16 pm

So fun to see! Thanks so much. Ben did a fabulous job–but wow, you make a ten dollar skirt look amazing!

90 Design Mom February 29, 2012 at 5:49 am

I love a bargain like that skirt! And depending on what I pair it with, I can wear it all year long.

91 Trina February 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Stunning, Gabby. Love these photos and outfits. Love the pants with the nude shoes + fab scarf and adore the black dress with gold zipper + gold flats! Perfect style!
XO . Trina

92 rachel schindler February 29, 2012 at 6:01 am

Loved the fashion show! You really know how to put things together. I always look forward to your family Christmas picture and how you mix and match to make everything look so effortless and pulled together. Ooh Laa Laa to the little black dress with gold zippers…

93 Danielle February 29, 2012 at 7:44 am

Gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration – you look amazing!!

94 Melanie February 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

I’m so glad you posted this! When I saw you wearing the pink skirt and striped shirt I immediately fell in love with your outfit! These photos are fantastic.

95 Deepa February 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

Fabulous outfits! And… I looooove Uniqlo! It was my favorite clothing brand when I was living in Singapore, and the one I miss most now that I’m living in Amsterdam. They don’t have it here, boo. You’re so lucky to have it in France!

96 Petites Merveilles February 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Ooh..thanks for sharing. The outfits are all nice but my favorite is the first one with striped top and pink skirt! So pretty!!

97 Swissmama February 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm

How is it that you can wear such inexpensive clothing and look so stylishly beautiful?! Fantastic outfits. You’re giving me ideas on where I should be shopping…

98 Roxanna (miguelina) March 1, 2012 at 12:31 am

I love all the outfits, but my favorite has to be the pants + scarf. I’ve made a mental note: More heels.

You are beautiful!

99 joana bfs March 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Glad to see that you are still there! We left France at Christmas and we are now in Rome and I’m in love with it! Nice outfits too! have a nice weekend

100 Cortnie March 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I love outfit posts! And I love every single outfit you wore to Alt Summit – they’re all very flattering on you. If I had to choose favorites I would pick the Naf Naf flower dress and H&M tuxedo pants and I’m kinda dying over the gold Zara flats!

xo
cortnie

101 Heidi Howard March 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Outfit #5
If you love an opaque leg, you must read this and try Donna Karan Luxes Opaques. You’re welcome! http://www.theblackhatter.com/fashion/the-dame-knows-dames

102 Cheryl March 3, 2012 at 8:45 am

Echoing all the comments above – you look beautiful and your clothing choices are flawless. Would it be weird if I asked you how you pack your nice clothes for flying? Whenever I fly somewhere, I never end up bringing my best clothes because I feel like they will get wrinkled, folded in the wrong places, etc, and often my funnest or nicest outfits are things I can’t just iron or wash… Do you have any good tips or have you just gotten lucky with washable/ wrinkle free fabrics and stuff? Thanks. And thanks for all the inspiration.

103 Kate The Great March 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

I like this post, not necessarily for what you wore (I can’t wear heels as a mom, even when I know you wore these to a conference where you didn’t have your kids) but that you’re concentrating on yourself, rather than your kids, your home, or other people’s work. I know you’re sensitive to pictures of yourself, but I like to see your face on your blog.

104 Alix September 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

OK…it’s months later but I was reading a more recent post and this popped up in the “related links” and I spied that amazing hot pink skirt you wore the first day of ALT and want to see it again. HOLY SMOKES you look gorgeous in all of these, but those sexy ass pants from the Design Camps (which I missed, because i was out thrifting with Liz) LAWDY woman!!!!!! You are beautiful inside and out, mama.
Love love love.

105 Soline P February 21, 2013 at 4:43 am

I love Design Mom :) The photos are beautiful !!! It is thanks to Maude I know is cited. I have come to you, you love my earring owl and I’m in class.