Welcome February!

February 1, 2012

Happy February, Dear Readers! I’m so glad we have Valentine’s Day this month to distract me from how cold it is. : )

I think I’ve posted about these wax paper, melted crayon hearts at least 5 times since I started this blog. They are so pretty! And they look so easy. And still, I’ve yet to actually ever make any. Do you think this is the year?!

How about you? Are you putting up any Valentine’s decorations?

P.S. — I’ve got some fun Valentines-y ideas I’ll be sharing over the next week or so. Stay tuned!

1 sarah @ two tarts February 1, 2012 at 6:45 am

Happy February! I can’ wait to see what you come up with this year. So far I’ve been liking these heart shaped jam cookies (and the cute cookie models aren’t bad eiher)! http://www.two-tarts.com/2012/01/heart-shaped-jam-cookies.html

2 leslie w. February 1, 2012 at 7:57 am

We make a similar recipe every February — so delicious — but we add a shake of powdered sugar to the top heart (the one with the cut out) before sandwiching the two cookies together. It reminds me of a little bit of lace (like those paper lace doilies we always used to use in school to make valentines), and a little extra sugar is always yummy!

3 sarah @ two tarts February 1, 2012 at 8:09 am

That’s a good idea, I bet it is pretty.

4 Shannon @ A Mom's Year February 1, 2012 at 6:54 am

Too funny! I clipped those hearts out of Martha Stewart Living magazine ages ago and every year I think the same thing as you: Is this the year? Maybe I should just hang the clip up and call it a day!

5 leslie w. February 1, 2012 at 7:58 am

Ditto! Maybe you’re right, and I should just hang the clip up as well! Ha!

6 Missy W February 1, 2012 at 7:20 am

They are easy! I have done it before because I read it on your blog. My daughter LOVED it. I think we left it up on the window all year long.

7 Mudroom Boston February 1, 2012 at 7:34 am

I made wax paper/crayon hearts for the first time about ten years ago (before kids!). I made up a batch, got into work early on Valentine’s Day, and taped them up in my co-worker’s office windows. They loved them!

8 Jenni Bailey February 1, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’m so behind. We still have birthday party decorations up.

9 lexi February 1, 2012 at 8:35 am

There are so many DIY projects that I keep coming back to but never actually get to! I need more hours in the day!
♡ Lexi
FASHION: Glitter & Pearls
WEDDINGS: Glitter Weddings

10 Annie February 1, 2012 at 8:43 am

Do the wax crayons – did them this year and they look great in our windows! Plus my kids (ages 2 & 1) reactions were totally worth it too. They noticed them the minute they walked into our kitchen.

11 everton terrace February 1, 2012 at 8:59 am

I really like them – make them and show us so I can enjoy yours :)
Since my daughter has grown and left the nest, I don’t really decorate for holidays anymore. Her birthday is the day before Valentine’s Day so we were always dripping with hearts and balloons and such this time of year.

12 Sandra February 1, 2012 at 9:59 am

The wax crayon hearts are easy and gorgeous! I love decorating for holidays and making the decorations with my six year old daughter – it’s a lovely way for a family to mark time as the year goes by…

13 Luciane at HomeBunch.com February 1, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hello Gabrielle,

How are you doing today? I hope you’re having a wonderful week so far!

I can’t believe it’s February already! How crazy is that? The world is spinning way too fast!!! :-)

Wishing you lots of love…

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

14 Polly February 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Wow they are stunning! You should defo give it a go :) x

15 Julie Snow February 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

I have done the same thing! this is the year we are going to DO them! I can’t wait! My kids are even excited. we have been peeling and shredding crayon bits for weeks and sort of putting it off but this week will be the week!

I read the article about you in BYU ALmumni magazine. I too have six kids and just started my own blog. I started for many of the same reasons as you. I love everything they said about you and it felt good to connect to someone on the same page, roughly. I live in colorado not france…:)

I would be honored if you visited my blog at LoveItSewMuch.blogspot.com

Keep doing what you’re doing – you are blessing so many!

16 Ashish February 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

hi Gabrielle,
really great feb is ahead, 1 bonus day for this month, let see how2get much of it.

17 Blessing {Working Mom Journal} February 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

So excited too for Feb! My daughter turns 3.

18 Jessica @shimmerkai February 1, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yay for February! This heart craft never gets old :)

19 This Confetti Life February 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

Happy February! Hooray!

20 CMN February 1, 2012 at 11:50 am

Um, putting up Valentine decor? I’m going to admit that I still have some Fall/Thanksgiving decor out, because I just loved how it looked and couldn’t bring myself to put it away. So, uh, no room for Valentines objets d’art at the moment. LOL Maybe Easter? ;)

21 Heather February 1, 2012 at 11:54 am

Fun! I was needing a good craft project for the day…I think we’ll try it!

22 Heather February 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

P.S. Although I’m sure my son is going to want me to cut out super hero masks instead of hearts, but we’ll see how it goes? Do you think Martha will want to feature our wax crayon super hero masks?

23 Leigh February 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I made these when they first came out in the magazine. I think I filed them somewhere – I’ll have to see if I can find them and put them up.

24 aimee @ paging supermom February 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I love the wax paper crayon hearts, too! I distinctly remember getting the Martha Stewart magazine in the mail that featured those hearts way back in college. We made them the night the magazine arrived–that’s how much my roommates and I lived them! You’ve got to make them!

25 Melissa Walsh February 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I have two slightly sick little girls home in their pj’s today. It’s 64 degrees here in NJ (WOW!) and I was feeling bummed that we couldn’t go out to play. I saw your post and I immediately set out to make these with my wee little ones. The hearts are complete! Now, I only need to string them up around the house. Hooray!

26 Christa the BabbyMama February 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

The Babby’s birthday is on V-day so we’ll be doing decorations, but not red and hearty! Her birthday colors are pink and orange – wish I could nab that mobile in the pic!

27 emily February 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I made these once and they were so easy and so beautiful! They last for ever – and kept turning up in pockets and bookshelves for years, which – I think – is the way a Valentine should be! (And melting wax is always fun!)

28 Susie February 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thank you so much for reminding me of the magic of wax paper and crayons! I haven’t seen it since I was in preschool, and now I can’t wait to try it as an adult! For some reason I couldn’t get the decorations down fast enough this past Christmas (normally I’m a “leave them up until February” kind of person) and now I think the house is ready for some new colors and shapes :)

Stay warm in that chilly Normandy air, Spring sunshine will be here soon!

29 All Unwound February 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I haven’t even thought about decorating for February!

The cooler weather has made me realize I don’t own enough socks! I plan to knit myself a new pair starting tonight. They are blue though, not a very Valentines Day color.

30 Laura Zarrin February 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I keep saying I’m going to do this one, too. Maybe this is the year.

31 Christina February 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm

There are many, many Martha ideas I have filed away for one day and the wax hearts is just one of the many. Not much Valentine’s Day decor here, I just rehung my hearts from last year. http://www.prettylittlenest.com/2011/01/hearts-for-valentines-day.html
Saving my strength for Easter and birthdays

32 Bérangère Bouffard February 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Haha I have the same issue. Of all the valentine ideas I saw in Martha Stewart’s mags, this was the one that impressed me the most. I even bought the magazine for it. Sadly, never got to do it and every year I asked myself if this would be the one. It’s so cheery in a month full of blahs! Now I have a big window by the kitchen sink and 2 little girls who would love it!! Let’s hope it works out this year! In the meantime, you have no idea how good it feels to know I’m not alone! ;)

33 Krystle @ Color Tansformed Family February 1, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Those hearts are so cute but may have to wait until next year for me. I’m not so sure if we are going to get any decorations up. It should be fun to see what you have come up with though. I can’t wait until my little girl is old enough to do stuff like this with me.

34 robin February 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm

hmmm – such positive responses. I made these a few years back and was not happy with my results. I recall my colors not being as vibrant and let’s face it – it’s not really a kids craft. MY son spent an afternoon in the emergency room in January – I really don’t think I would hand him an iron! We are however doing the Mer Mag Color Theory (I will be doing that with my daughter’s class) and much to my surprise my son chose the scratch cards over Ralph’s Madlibs (I thought he wouldn’t want to write mushy phrases for the girls, but apparently he has a few crushes!) Thanks for links!

35 NolaLeBlanc February 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

We skip the Valentine’s decorations and go straight for the Mardi Gras decorations.

36 Ann February 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ I am obsessed with hearts lately ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

37 darlingdarleen February 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

We made the melted crayon hearts one snow day and it was so much fun. And my kids had a good time. We used pencil sharpeners to speed the process up. Below is the link to my blog with the how to:

38 Greta February 2, 2012 at 9:41 am

I love melted crayon crafts.
They were a favorite when I was a little girl and are now a favorite with my little girl–and boys!
Hope you make some this year.
Love from,
Greta

39 Michelle February 4, 2012 at 7:04 am

The Melted heart crayons are messy! I made them with my 5 year old and it was alot of work for me!! I got a blisted on my finger from shaving the crayons.
A good project for kids who can work a small hand held pencil sharpener.

40 la mode February 14, 2012 at 2:38 am

j’adore tes gouts!

41 Julie Snow March 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I MADE THEM! And posted on my blog above! Please visit if you’d like! Love your blog!