Self-Driving Cars

February 8, 2012

Oh man! Did you guys read this article in Wired Magazine about cars that drive themselves? I started the article thinking: No way, the whole idea scares me. But by the end, I was thinking: How have I lived without self-driving cars for all these years? Not even kidding — I’m kind of geeking out about it!

If you read it, I’d love to hear what you think.

1 Luciane at HomeBunch.com February 8, 2012 at 8:50 am

Are you serious? This is so crazy! Right??? I mean, I’m sure my grandparents (92/85y/o) thought that going to the moon was “insane”, but this sounds too much even for me. Maybe I’m getting old too…. :-)

Wishing you a blessed day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

2 Petra Palmer February 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

My 8 year old has a list of things to achieve and design, one of them is “Car for the blind”, which I’ve been tempted to say to her is not a feasible idea (but I held my tongue). Now I will have to show her this article (hope she won’t be too crushed that she’s not there helping with the invention) and never, ever doubt the dreams of my children again!

3 lj February 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

my husband is losing his vision and can no longer drive- as a result we will always live in the city- -not bad but we’d love option to live in a more rural area. A self-driving car…fingers crossed!!!

4 The New Diplomats Wife February 8, 2012 at 9:19 am

if the car is smart enough to drive for you, the car is smart enough to drive over you. freaks me out but i’m still fascinated by it.

5 Ann Marie February 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

I have always wondered why we “dream” of cars that drive themselves when we could easily improve our train system here in the U.S. It’s basically like having “cars that drive themselves.”

6 Christine February 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I like that philosophy

7 Alea February 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Only if you live on the east coast! Here in the northwest passenger trains are rare. We drive everywhere.

8 Kara Kresser February 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

I have major control issues so even going through the car washes that pulls you through and your in neutral gives me a major anxiety attack. I probably would never leave home if this was the case!

9 Sharon @ Discovering Blog February 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

This seems totally insane, but I’m sure many things that we take for granted seemed totally insane at one point.
Airplanes, TV, telephones, etc.

10 Amy3 February 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

Wow! I bet it really would be safer if we all had self-driving cars. Pretty amazing.

11 Madilla February 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Amazing! Of course trains are always an option but sometimes you need more freedom. And boy, this would be freedom! Doesn’t everyone dream of having a chauffeur!

12 Amy February 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Like a few others have already mentioned… I would love to see more public transportaion rather than a self driving car. It is a cool concept though.

13 Verena Beckstrand February 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I’ve dreamed for a LONG time about a front passenger seat that would spin around to help the kids in the back. And we also love living in the city (Shanghai, China) because of all the public transportation and without the stress of driving but I really, really miss the independence of my own vehicle. What a nice mix to have a self-driving car!

14 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay February 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I was convinced that this would BE our future back in 4th grade…….. The year was….1975? Where is my future? I did not imagine it being as chic as this illustration though? Very fancy!

15 Jillian in Italy February 9, 2012 at 12:10 am

It would definitely make it easier to entertain kids in the backseat. No more dangerous mothers driving while simutaneously looking in the backseat for lost toys/soothers/bottles or trying to break up a sibling brawl.

16 Melissa Sutton February 9, 2012 at 7:28 am

So much fascinating information in this article. I love the idea of a car driving itself! The part about our smartphones doing more than our cars stuck with me….we pay hundreds of dollars for our phones and thousands for our cars and the phones do more.

17 Nicole K February 9, 2012 at 7:34 am

We actually saw the google self driving car on the road over Thanksgiving. Pretty freaky to watch – four people sitting in a car and the driver not doing anything. The most dangerous thing seems to be that all the other driver were watching it and not the road!

18 nelle February 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm

woah, cool!

19 Brenda February 9, 2012 at 8:04 am

I don’t know. This all sounds a bit WALL-E to me. There’s nothing wrong with biking to work.

20 Alea February 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m not sure this is new technology because tractors have been able to drive themselves for quite a while. Not quite as advanced as this because there’s obviously no traffic in the middle of a field, but they do steer and drive themselves. I’ve always thought it was a bit funny because I didn’t think new technology went to farming equipment first. The reason farmers like it is because if you are seeding for example, it keeps you from overlapping your rows, and so you can use less seed. A human driver can’t tell as well how much overlap there is and you’d rather have double seeded than have a skip in your field. As far as I know they are all satellite navigation units.

21 Carol Boldman February 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

This is off topic, but where did you find that picture? Was it with the article? My husband used that exact same picture for an album cover he did years ago. Just curious.

22 Elizabeth October 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm

These cars are definitely out there, but the article was published on April Fool’s Day, and when I looked around for more information regarding the New York deal specifically, I couldn’t find anything…anyone else find something to prove this?