Dusting Powder

February 20, 2012

This gardenia scented powder is the souvenir I brought back from Florence. I purchased it at the 600-year-old pharmacy called Santa Maria Novella. I couldn’t resist the little floral pattern on the paper canister. Plus, I knew I would put it to good use because I love dusting powder!

I use it to dust the sheets when I make up the beds, and I use it on my hair when I’m out of dry shampoo. Are you a powder fan?

As promised, here are some of my favorite images from the pharmacy. Every thing about the shop feels ancient. The whole place is dimly lit and quiet. There are several different rooms, each one lined with glass cases, and each case filled with beautifully packaged soaps, perfumes and lotions.

The grand entrance is on a narrow little street. It took us awhile to find it.

I was tempted by the soaps, but I resisted.

I was also tempted by the wall of perfumes. They looked like jewels! But I resisted these as well.

These floral print paper canisters were my downfall. They come in lovely scents. Aren’t they gorgeous?

I also love souvenirs I can really use when I arrive home. How about you? What sorts of things do you bring back from your adventures? Photos? Jars of sand? Or maybe just a belly full of gelato?

1 bold.color.glass February 20, 2012 at 4:55 am

We take home little decorations or anythin, that can ba hanged with a ribbon. I make them to be a Christmas ornament ang hang them on our Christmas tree. It is nice to sit on the couch stare the tree and remember those nice memories. These are very special moments for me!

2 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

What a fun tradition!

3 Ashley February 20, 2012 at 6:13 am

I can guarantee that I would have also bought something from here.
Irresistible.

4 Kirsteen February 20, 2012 at 6:18 am

What pretty packaging on the scented powder box!

5 Jillian in Italy February 20, 2012 at 9:09 am

I love this dusting powder! It’s so nice and fine and smells so delicate. I’ll have to get my mom to pick some up when she’s there next week…thanks for the reminder!

6 emily February 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

that floral print is lovely! I lived in Florence in high school over 17 years ago and walked by the Santa Maria Novella station every day. I finally went in to the apothecary after weeks of passing it and was transfixed. What an enchanting place!

I stuffed a journal full of labels, napkins and pieces of food wrappings from our most recent trip around Italy. I love how font and design is used differently from place to place – and how as a memento it can bring you right back.

7 Kristen E February 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

So beautiful! I’m sure I would have walked out with lots of fun things – kudos to you on resisting! I’m a fan of dusting powders too – right now I’m in love with Lush’s Silky Underwear variety – it’s loaded with cocoa butter, so it’s moisturizing as well as powdery. :)

8 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm

That sounds lovely, Kristen. I’ll have to put it on my wishlist!

9 Erin February 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh la la la…I can almost smell their faint perfume now! I usually try and find some local honey to bring home. I like to think that of the local, Croatian or Californian or Hawaiian bees doing their work and distilling those flowers into something I am going to eat.

10 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

What a neat idea, Erin! And I bet you find honey in all sorts of pretty little bottles and hand written labels.

11 leslie w. February 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

I think it’s so neat that you dust the sheets with powder when making the beds — I’ve never heard of that. Am I the only one? Where did you learn that? And how exactly do you execute it — like how much do you use and where exactly do you apply it? It sounds like a lovely habit I’d like to adopt.

12 Erin February 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I was wondering about the dusting of the sheets and where the powder goes. I hate feeling anything on my sheets–fuzz from socks, etc.–and I would think the powder would stay around and the feel would drive me crazy. I do spray our sheets with a mist of water and a few essential oils, though. Creates the scent without actually dampening anything.

13 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I hear you, Erin! Crumbs in my sheets is one of my biggest pet peeves. But I don’t feel the powder at all. It’s a texture like baby powder. I suppose my skin absorbs any that isn’t worked into the sheets.

But I’m sure the essential oil does the same thing — and you have more control over available scents!

14 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Great question, Leslie!

I actually learned it in high school from my friend Jandi. She would put on the fitted sheet, then sprinkle on some scented powder, then put on the flat sheet, and sprinkle on a bit more. Not too generous — just enough that you notice the scent when you snuggle into the sheets at bedtime.

The first time you try it, go lightly and see what you think. You can always add more later! I usually just apply it when I’m making up the bed with clean sheets, but really, you could powder your sheets as often as you like.

15 Ashley February 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

yes! I second the bed dusting cusiosity! what exactly do you do?

16 madilla February 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’m curious as well! I once bought a special powder to put on the carpet before vacuum cleaning them, it wasn’t for cleaning just made the room smell wonderful.

17 Sarah February 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

That canister of powder is really beautiful! I love jewelry, so I buy a pair of earrings as a souvenir for every city/country I visit. They are small, so I don’t end up cramming something into my already over-stuffed suitcase, and then every time I wear them I am reminded of fun vacation memories.

18 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Earrings is such a smart souvenir. Love that idea, Sarah!

19 Genevieve February 20, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Wow. I could’ve done some serious damage. I’m a sucker for products AND packaging. Beautiful pics!

20 Zoe - SlowMama February 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Oh, all of it would have been hard to resist, but you chose well — dusting powder is fabulous and I’m on the hunt for some. Might have to go to Florence for it :-) I also love room sprays so long as they’re natural.

21 Design Mom February 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The perfect excuse for a trip! : )

22 Jen February 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm

We used to collect magnets. Now we have stainless steel, which I don’t really care for. Time to make a magnetic board to show off our travels.

23 Caddy February 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm

The bellyfull full of gelatto and croissants was definitely me. I was in Europe for weeks and all I brought home was chocolate to eat. :)

24 Jill V. / TerraSavvy February 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

Mark and I were there about 10 years ago and I fell in love with SMN! I still have one of the soaps I bought in the most beautiful box. It sits on a shelf in my bathroom. I don’t have the heart to use it!

Ahhh…Italy how I adore you.

Thanks for the reminder!

xo

25 Cortnie February 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Dusting powder? I couldn’t have resisted either! I still have some essential oil I purchased while in Paris off of the Rue Cler. Every time I open the little bottle it brings me right back.

xo
cortnie

26 Lauren February 23, 2012 at 9:04 am

I’ve never thought of dusting the sheets with powder! What a great idea!