DIY: Valentine Fortune Tellers

February 6, 2012

I asked Danyelle to create a candy-free valentine that grade-schoolers would love. I’d say she nailed it! Take a look. — Gabrielle

I’m a big fan of fun candy-free Valentines. This project was inspired by the mounds of paper fortune tellers that fall from my daughter’s backpack daily. Apparently, making paper fortune tellers is THE thing to do in her fourth grade class. I have a feeling her classmates are going to love these.

To make some paper fortune teller Valentines with your child you’ll need to print out the PDF and have a paper trimmer or scissors handy.

Cut the excess paper from the fortune teller along the dotted line. Your fortune teller should be 8.5″ x 8.5″ after it’s trimmed.

Fold the fortune teller in half, making a nice crease.

Make another fold, this time going in the opposite direction. This creates a “X” in the fortune teller when it’s opened.

Turn the paper so the printed side is facing down on the table top. Turn one corner at a time towards the center point of the paper and make a nice crease.

Flip the fortune teller over so the heart and number graphics are facing down on the table top. Next, turn each corner one at a time, towards the center of the paper. When you are finished, all of the numbers should be visible and your fortune teller should be in a nice square.

Flip the fortune teller so the four colored hearts are visible. Fold the fortune teller in half making a nice crease and then re-open. Do the same thing, this time going in the opposite direction.

Slip your fingers inside the fortune teller as shown in the images to fluff.

Have fun playing!

You can print your own fortune tellers. Download the free pdf here!

1 Sharon @ Discoveringblog February 6, 2012 at 8:45 am

Oh! My 6 year old son discovered Fortune Tellers this summer at camp, and was hooked! Being a boy, he’d come up with fortunes along the lines of “You will wake up and be a fish”.
I love how clean this one is – it’s a sweet project (without the sugar!)

2 Therese February 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

Do classes share Valentine’s in France? I’ve lived in a few countries and only ever seen it in the US. I love the idea by the way.

3 jennie w. February 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

Fortune tellers? I’ve always called them Cootie Catchers.

4 FestivePartyGirl February 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh, I love Cootie Catchers. Thanks for the free printable. My daughter will love this.

5 Geevz February 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

Fun! When I taught middle school, I decided to harness the love of fortune tellers by making them into vocab study tools. They are always a hit! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

6 Cathy February 7, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’m forwarding this idea to my daughter in Mesa AZ. She’s a resource teacher for 7th graders who read at 5th grade level. The vocab study tools/fortune tellers will be a creative way to improve their literacy. Thanks!

7 Ann February 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thanks so much for this cute tute! I’ll be sharing it on my paper-loving site.

8 Leighann of D-Mom Blog February 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I am looking for a craft for the class party. Do you have a version of this that isn’t colored in so that the kids can do that part? Maybe just an outline of the hearts and the numbers? Thanks!

9 Kelly February 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I love it; thank you for sharing! My daughter is going to be thrilled, but I must confess the ocd part of me is bothered that the 1 is upside down.

10 Danyelle February 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for catching that, Kelly! No worries, the PDF has been fixed so now you can print away with a clear conscious. ;)

11 abby February 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm

We just told our daughter (8) we are having another baby using a fortune teller…she loves them. This one would have been so much cuter than the one I made!! We will be using these as well!!

12 Lisa February 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Cute! I remember when I was in the 4th grade making lots of those. The kids will love them!

13 teresa February 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

so perfect! thank you so much!

14 Trish M February 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm

My 3rd grader loves the 3D lolly pop valentine and now this is perfect for the kindergartener. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

15 Victoria February 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Lovely idea. I wonder if my 3rd grader son will dare to give them out to the girls in his class!!!

16 NolaLeBlanc February 6, 2012 at 9:53 pm

So thrilled that you posted that tutorial. My daughter came home with one yesterday unfolded and for the life of me I could not remember how to do it. She will be thrilled to see that I figured it out.

17 mer February 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm

so cute Danyelle. such a great idea. I would have been head over heels for this in 4th grade.

18 mel mccarthy February 7, 2012 at 12:23 am

This is wonderful. Thanks!

19 Amanda February 7, 2012 at 4:56 am

I loved those fortune tellers when I was a kid! Haha, I probably still would! I made these candy-free valentines last year and they were a hit:

20 Jillian in Italy February 7, 2012 at 5:16 am

Very cute! Love the colours. And so easy. I seem to remember them being so much more complicated to fold…

21 Nora Phemister February 7, 2012 at 6:46 am

What a great idea… I also have a daughter in fourth grade and we’re looking for Valentines to share with her class… This is perfect!! Thanks for sharing!!

22 Melanie February 7, 2012 at 9:32 am

I am SO glad you posted this! I’ve been wanting to do an art piece with these and I wasn’t sure I could remember how to make them.

23 BryceB February 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

i just made one of these!!! its so cute!! i’m making these for my friends, for valentine’s day!! thanks for the idea!! :) <3

24 BryceB February 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

these are so cute!! i am making these for my friends for valentine’s day!! thanks for the idea!!! :) <3

25 Jessica @shimmerkai February 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

How fun! Definitely takes me back to my school days!

26 Melissa February 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

This is a fantastic idea – so cute! I’m having a little trouble getting it to look right, though, and am wondering if some of the numbers might have shifted on the PDF: 1, 7, & 8 get caught on the edge when folded up.

27 Kim February 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I have the same problem… My pink heart numbers and purple heart numbers end up half way hidden on the other side of the fold. They seem further away from the corner point than the red and blue hearts. I really love these!

28 Tania February 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Super neat-o! Julian loves fortune tellers and I think we may just have to make these for his valentine exchange at school.

29 lisa h. February 11, 2012 at 7:55 am

thanks for taking the time to make this printable and post it! we may just print a bunch of these and use them for school valentine’s. i think the kids would love it.

30 Angry Baker February 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm

thanks Danyelle – my fourth grader thinks these are the coolest valentine’s ever. We just printed them up to pass out this week.

31 Inspire Me Heather February 13, 2012 at 5:48 am

These are just adorable and I love the no candy part too – I’m printing it! I’ve also shared this on my post today on Valentines!

32 Lori February 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thank you for this idea. My husband & I remember these from grade school years ago. I have these ready for my kids for this V’day. Thanks again for the tutorial AND the free download! Happy V’day.

33 Tracey at Keeping House & Everything Else February 14, 2012 at 11:44 am

These are so cute. I totally remember making these in school. How fun !

34 Rebecca Cooper February 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm

adorable! :)

35 Cheryl G. February 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm

This is so great!
Thank you!

36 Alot February 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

This is nice! Thanks going to make it for my daughters project.

37 Lisa February 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I just made one for my niece! We used to do these all the time when I was a kid.
FYI – The numbers 6, 7 and 8 are off a bit, as well as the purple heart. They are under the folds and hard to see.

38 Sura B February 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Love these!! thank you so much x

39 Reecea Henderson February 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

My granddaughter chose these as the Valentines she wanted to make and give to her classmates. Love!!! I included it in my post

with links back to your post. Happy Valentine’s Day.

40 Susan February 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm

So cute! And so are the Madlib Valentines! Pinned so that my neice will see these for the kids!

41 Lori February 14, 2013 at 6:21 am

When I printed them out the pattern was off. 3,4, 5, and 2′s were on,but the other numbers were off. I followed all directions.

42 Louise January 28, 2014 at 8:45 am

thanks I LOVE THIS! But – the printout doesn’t work and I’m so upset as I had it planned for my daughters party as she’s born on valentines :-(
The numbers are off the fold. Can it be fixed maybe? I see others also have this trouble…
Regards, Louise

43 Nina February 11, 2014 at 11:41 am

Super idea! Fortune tellers were so much fun when I was a kid. I’m happy to see that kids still enjoy them. I’ll have to save this idea for when my son gets older. He’ll love it as a grade schooler! Thank you!

44 Christine February 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

THANK YOU! These came out perfect. You made me look like a rockstar today (though I gave you credit whenever anyone said anything like that). :)

45 Danielle February 11, 2015 at 11:26 am

Tahnk u soooooooo much!!!! my kids aren’t allowed to have candy at there school so i wanted to still do something special:)

46 Bev February 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I’m having the same problem others mentioned. 7 & 8 are hidden by the fold and 1 & 6 are, too. The pink and purple hearts are also over the fold. I tried both the link at the top and at the bottom, in case one was different, but it’s the same PDF name:

Now I see it’s from 2012, so realize I will need to try a different project to get this in the mail in time. Darn… this was going to be so much more fun for little nieces & nephews than just a card….

47 Vani February 12, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Thank you for the wonderful idea. A lifesaver in the last minute. A super hit with all the kids

48 Imani February 14, 2015 at 11:33 am

I really love this fortune teller I’m making it today for valentine day for my mom thanks a lot for you help