Book of the Week: Extra Yarn

February 22, 2012

This is a really good one! It’s called Extra Yarn, and it’s written by Mac Barnett, with beautiful illustrations by Jon Klassen. It’s about little Annabelle who finds out her actions can have a happy effect on her community. The story has kindness, generosity, and a no-good Duke. Your kids will love it.

And it will also make a sweet gift for any knitters in your life.

1 sarah jane February 22, 2012 at 7:28 am

That looks really sweet! I love children’s books. I have to control myself not to go overboard!

2 Cecilia Madden February 22, 2012 at 7:46 am

such a sweet book. what a great recommendation.

3 Laurel February 22, 2012 at 7:49 am

Purchased this book a couple of weeks ago for my knitting sister.

4 Kristen E February 22, 2012 at 8:34 am

I just bought this book! I’m totally in love with it. I even read it out loud, storytime-style, to some of my friends. (We’re all knitters and spinners.) They loved it too!

5 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag February 22, 2012 at 8:38 am

Jon Klassen really is just the best, isn’t he? Darling book!

6 megwrites February 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

I love this book! I’m so glad it’s getting the attention it deserves!

7 julie r February 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

we checked this out last week and yes, my kids DID love it! such a cute story. we also checked out “Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?” by Susan Shea. Does a shirt grow into a sweater or car into a truck – it’s really funny! my kids were giggling…

8 se7en February 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

That just looks totally darling!!! Really!!!

9 CMN February 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm

For older readers who enjoy Jon Klassen’s artwork, I would highly recommend the “The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place” series by Maryrose Wood. Delightful and charming stories, and Mr. Klassen’s artwork is the absolute cherry on top! I’ve really been enjoying them and am looking forward to book 3 (due in March).

Book link on Amazon…

10 Jo Dee February 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

oh! oh! oh! that book is looking like it must be part of our collection. But wait, does that mean I’d actually have to read it to my kids? TOTALLY KIDDING!! We love story time at our house.
cheers!

11 Akiko February 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Adorable book! I really want to check it out. You have an amazing blog, I just enjoyed reading some of your posts :) xo akiko

Style Imported

12 Bekka February 23, 2012 at 5:08 am

Oh, I love your book series! I don’t have children yet, but that doesn’t mean I am without a hefty picture book collection. Such fun!

13 Nike February 23, 2012 at 6:49 am

This seems to be so cute. I´ll have to find out, if there is a German version.
Nike
(btw: I keep on forgetting to recomend you “The Gruffalo. If you do not allready know it, you have to check it out, the story is the sweetest thing you´ve ever heard! And it´s funny!)

14 Jennelle February 23, 2012 at 7:56 am

Sounds like a sweet story, and I just love the illustration!

15 Marlena February 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for the recommendation – I just put out a library request.

16 Bree Phillips February 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

As a knitter and textile enthusiast, I was thrilled to see this book recommendation. I know several children and adults I will be giving it to.

17 k a t y February 24, 2012 at 8:06 am

I think I’m going to have to incorporate this into my sewing series “Once Upon a Thread!” Looks fabulous.

18 Jessica February 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

In case anyone lives in the Bay Area in California, the authors will be doing a reading of this book at Hicklebee’s, Tuesday, March 6 at 3 pm.

19 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com April 4, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I loved this book too. I did a review of it also and just saw yours — it was fun to see which pages you picked to show. The ones I chose were all different (you can see my review here: http://www.supermommoments.com/2012/01/extra-yarn/). I swear every page in this book is a piece of art!