Red Carpet Maternity

January 17, 2012

A few of the friends I’ll be seeing at Alt Summit are expecting babies — and it has me remembering my own pregnant Alt Summit and trying to come up with an appropriate wardrobe. I realized that through six pregnancies, I never had an event to attend where I needed something really fancy. Fancy like Gisele’s gorgeous dress above. I think it would be so challenging to find the perfect dress, knowing I would almost surely never wear it again. Have you ever had to?

Hey. Here’s an idea, instead of taking traditional belly shots, wouldn’t it be fun to do a maternity shoot in a high-fashion gown?

P.S. — I just heard about this place that rents maternity clothes. Would you ever try it?

Image from Vogue.

1 Vera January 17, 2012 at 6:25 am

Hey, that is actually a cool photo shoot idea for pregnant women!

2 Molly Winn January 17, 2012 at 7:40 am

Ooo, I know as a photographer I’d love to photograph someone doing this! How fun!!

3 Christa The BabbyMama January 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

I didn’t – I also hardly needed maternity clothes because I gave birth a month and a half early! But if I had, I think I have a dress or two that would do for semi-formal. For a formal affair, though? I would have been scrambling.

4 Jenny Jackson Kersting January 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

I love that idea. Women are so beautiful when they’re pregnant. I did nude photos for my hubby when I was expecting Ellie. I’ll always love looking back. Have fun at Alt!

5 barchbo January 17, 2012 at 9:40 am

I didn’t do any special photos when I was pregnant (though I am SO glad I took Design Mom’s advice and did newborn photos!) I thought about it, but it really isn’t my thing.

That said, I would ABSOLUTELY rent a formal maternity dress if I needed one. I wore regular women’s clothes through my sixth month and only had a few maternity pieces at all. But if something was big enough to warrant black tie, then I would be all about looking my best!

6 Amy January 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

I had to attend a black tie affair at 6 months pregnant. It was a huge challenge trying to find an appropriate dress that fit, I ended up with an empire waisted non-maternity dress. We took pictures and they are the best pics of me during my entire pregnancy!

7 Rebekah January 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

I had to have something for a formal holiday party with each pregnancy, but didn’t buy maternity dresses. I looked but couldn’t find anything I thought fit well and was an appropriate quality for the money. So the first time I was 8 months along and pulled out my go-to stretchy black sheath dress with 3/4 sleeves from GAP that I had for a few years. Not exactly formal, but I put on some nice heels and jewelry and figured no one would blame me. The second time I was almost 7 months and bought a long, simple Calvin Klein gown that had an empire waist. I was able to buy my usual size, so it’s something I can wear again — if I ever have another occasion to do so! I’m actually thinking about having it hemmed to a knee-length dress so I can wear it to a wedding this spring.

8 Courtney January 17, 2012 at 10:12 am

That dress is sooooo sexy!
I got married at 8 months pregnant, so I got to wear a fancy white dress over my big bump. (But of course looked nowhere near as sleek as Giselle!) xx

9 Kristen E January 17, 2012 at 10:30 am

Oh man, I LOVE the idea of doing a black tie dress-up photo shoot instead of a traditional maternity shoot! HOW FUN!!!! I would rent a dress in a heartbeat for something like that!

10 Michelle Glauser January 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

So fabulous!

11 Jen Lewis January 17, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love this idea! I might just try to find something fancy and have my husband take some glamour shots. I’m all about looking glam for photos, I think it’s fun even when it’s not something I would wear everyday. Of course I could only hope to look as chic as Giselle. :)

12 gina vide January 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Love the glamour-gal idea!

13 Giorgina Potman January 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I love the idea of being able to rent maternity clothing! The Fashion Forward site is a great concept – I will definitely recommend it to my friends!! Gisele also looks absolutely stunning when pregnant!

14 Christine Motts January 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I have had trouble finding formal maternity clothing for special occasions in the past. My belly changes so fast when I am pregnant that it’s hard to spend money when I know I will wear the item only once (MAYBE twice)… its nice to know there are resources out there for this exact purpose. I have heard of the website mentioned here, Fashion Forward Maternity, from another blog and my friend tried it and loved it! It’s a great option for next time I have a growing belly :)

15 Sarah January 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Oh my gosh- I just saw this and posted on another blog- lots of good feedback for the Fashion Forward Maternity ladies. They don’t have couture dresses but they do seem to have a lot of that is SO much nicer than a mall store- and you don’t have to wear the same thing all the time, since you get to change it out as often as you need to. That way, even the family photos might seem a little more Glam!

16 Miriam January 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I went to two weddings while pregnant, wore stretchy non-maternity but wish I could’ve worn as Isabella Oliver dress (could never justify the price but love some of the maternity dresses)

17 Krystal January 18, 2012 at 8:35 am

There is also this great site http://www.borrowforoyourbump.com. They have really great designer dresses that are stylish and trendy.

18 Eric Messinger January 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Nice thought. We made this one of our posts of the week: http://ht.ly/8xOMz

19 Chi @ Carousel January 18, 2012 at 10:24 am

I was exactly 5 months pregnant when I attended my brother-in-law’s wedding.

I wore an empire-line Karen Millen dress bought specifically for the event and danced all night …….. in heels! :D

20 kage January 18, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m totally searching for an unorthodox shoot. Not sure I can top my last one…. styled by Thisiscarrie

Right now my only idea is TWIGGY GETS PREGNANT and do Twiggy makeup/hair and 60′s outfit. Wendy at Blue lily is doing it…..

thoughts?

21 Sarah January 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

Great photos! You are striking!!

22 Stephanie January 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

I did this on my maternity shoot! I just barely was able to zip up into my only fancy gown that happened to be empire waist.

23 robin January 18, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I had to attend a wedding when I was 8 months pregnant with my second. It was not formal, but a garden party. Months in advance I bought a floor length empire waisted dress knowing that regardless of how big my bump was the long hem would be more forgiving!

24 Angela January 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Id love to get all dressed up and made up now at 31 weeks preggo! I also found minefornine.com. They rent as well. I’d rent formal wear, nice dresses but never pants. I don’t wear underwear with pants so that’s that!

25 natasha January 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Actually, I rented a dress to wear to a wedding in December from Rentmaternitywear.com. It was a fabulous service and I felt like a million bucks but paid less than 60 for the week rental. I highly recommend it! I wish I had found the site sooner but maybe for my next pregnancy (Baby girl was born on Jan 8th!)