Living With Kids: Joanna Gaines

January 17, 2012

This is one of those tours where the homeowner didn’t contact me; her super-talented photographer friend did, describing Joanna’s home in Waco, Texas as kid-friendly and fabulous even with four little ones running around it all day and all night! The black, white, and sandy shades are softly stunning together, aren’t they? And I love how she has incorporated lots of open, clutter-free spaces for chasing games, and more than enough soft corners upon which to land. That’s really all a kid needs to have fun, don’t you think? Well, that…and a few chalkboards! Please enjoy the Gaines’ home tour.

Q: Who’s lucky enough to live in this home?

A: Me, my husband Chip, and my four sweet children: Drake (6), Ella Rose (5), Duke (3), and Emmie Kay (2).

Q: You clearly have a talent for design and collecting distinctive pieces. Will you give us your back story?

A: Well, I used to own a shop called Magnolia. I started it when we first got married and kept it for a few years. To be honest, I missed out on a lot of my oldest son’s first year because of the shop. So when I found out I was pregnant with my second child, I decided to shut down shop and stay home with my kids. I still longed to do design because it serves as such an outlet for me. My husband and I have renovated homes together since we got married, so we decided to start Magnolia Homes. Chip manages the construction side, and I do all the design work. We love giving homes their stories back. Some of the homes we have done I could honestly say most people would have bulldozed! Our passion is to breathe new life into them.

One thing was still missing, though; I missed my customers from the shop. So I decided to have Magnolia Home shows in my home three times a year. I set up four rooms in my house with one-of-a-kind finds and unique inventory I’ve gathered over the past year. At every show there will always be old architecture, great greenery, and unique pieces. Every now and then I come across a piece that I know I won’t ever find again and I keep it for myself! My kids are unbelievably great at not even noticing that the house has been turned upside-down. They leave it all alone. I have the show in my home on a Thursday; we clear everything out in one day, and I get a chance to catch up with the ladies who inspire me to do what I do. I love my job because whether it is remodeling or the home shows, I can do it all from home!

Q: Tell us the history of your home.

A: We recently moved into this new home we bought to flip as an investment property. This house was a foreclosure that had sat vacant for three years. I was actually upset with my husband for buying it because it was ugly. We renovated the house in three months and put it back on the market. We had a buyer for our present home and we had to find a new home in less than a week. And yes, you guessed it, we moved into the flip house. It was the only option.

I love how sometimes a change must occur so that new perspective may come. I never realized until we moved that I had decorated my old house more like a museum full of “don’t touch” objects than a kid-friendly environment where my kids could be kids. As we were moving in the new home, I saw my kids running all around and it inspired me to make this their home. I love this home we are currently in. Not for the same reasons that typically draw my eye to a home, but because my kids love it. They thrive here, and honestly, that makes Mama happy! The house is so open, with so many spaces in which to run! It is one-story, so we are all on the same floor which makes the kids happy. One of my favorite parts of this home is the side yard that has our garden, the chicken coop, and an outdoor space for my children. It’s like a little surprise when you step outside.

Q: How would you describe your design and decorating aesthetic? Did this change when your kids entered the mix?

A: I love clean and simple. I love white. I like to use different textures and dimensional items to add interest. I believe that every house needs a good blend of old and new pieces. I typically don’t use expected things like draperies; I prefer to use outdoor awnings for my windows inside. I like to use architecture on walls. I love to inspire women to use common things in uncommon ways.

My dream house would be all-white furniture and painted white floors…but I have four kids! I have the white furniture but purchased the white IKEA sofas and chairs with slip-covers. The other day, my two-year old took a pen to one of my over-stuffed chairs, and marked all over it. I didn’t freak out because a new slipcover is $35.

Yes, my design style has changed; kids added color to my life and to my home! In my last home, my kids adapted to my style. In this home, I’ve adapted to theirs.

Q: Does your home always look the way it does in the photos? What would we see on an average afternoon after the kids get home from school?

A: I had to get over the idea of perfect, clean, and dust-free. I noticed myself picking up after my kids the entire day. I was constantly cleaning so my house would look perfect and in order. I finally realized I was missing out on so many moments with the kids because I was concerned with something as irrelevant as clean counter-tops! I now make it a rule for myself to not waste my day cleaning because we all know it will get messy again. I can start clean up at 7 pm. I do like to go to bed and wake up with a clean house!

Q: What’s your basic philosophy on living with kids? Is their mark apparent in every room, or are there some that are completely adult-oriented?

A: My philosophy is to embrace where you are and the season you are in. If you have children, create child-proof, inspiring spaces where they will thrive. It took this recent move to help me realize that I have to be intentional with whatever space I am given. Creating an environment of fun, creativity, and order does not just come naturally. I had to work at it and become a student of my children. I had to get into their minds and figure out what they loved and what inspired them. I had to make a choice to let go of some of the things I love as well as my expectations of what a pretty home should be.

I have a small living and dining area that are adult-oriented, and then my bedroom. We do use the space in my room for wrestling matches, though! My kitchen is my room, and serves as my main workplace. It’s my favorite part of the house, but I still have baskets in the island full of toys so they can hang out with me when I cook.

Q: You love chalkboards! What is it about them that make them such a fun design element?

A: I have a mini obsession with chalkboards. I think chalkboards are great for children. We use our big chalkboard for homework time and for fun time as well, although Pictionary with a three-year old is an eternal guessing game!  I encourage clients to paint a section on their wall with chalkboard paint and trim it out if they have the extra space. Kids love coloring on the walls, so why not let them? Chalkboards are also a great tool for personalizing your space; for instance, if there is a family verse or mission statement, a chalkboard is a great tool for this.

You can almost always bet that fun junk stores and unique shops will have chalkboards.

Q: Your kids’ rooms are delightful! A windmill, a swing hanging from the ceiling holding a birdcage, decorative mantles…love it all! What are their favorite elements in their rooms?

A: My girls are little princesses. I would say the $25 Home Depot chandelier is their favorite. My boys love hunting, so their favorite is their trophy wall of animals, and also the squirrel mounted to their wall. I never thought I would have a rodent in my house. Times have changed…

Q: How much influence do the kids and your husband have on the decor of the house?

A: My husband is very creative, so he is part of the design process a lot of the time. He also is very helpful at hanging things that aren’t typical objects to hang, like a heavy iron gate and branches on our walls. My kids influence me to keep things simple, practical, and fun.

Q: What if one of your kids came to you and requested a hot pink room with — gasp! — Littlest Pet Shop appliques on the wall?

A: I always joke that for some reason, purple is my least favorite color, and I swear my girls are going to ask for a bright purple room one day! This one is hard for me because I really want my children to express who they are, but I also think they need direction since their likes and dislikes change so often as kids. I like for the design of our home to flow, so for the most part I design their room and then allow them the freedom to add to it.  So far it has worked and my kids like what I come up with. Now, when they are teenagers and have an opinion, I am sure all this will change!

As far as the appliques, I would have to say save them for the closet or behind the door, or limit it to a decorative board they can personalize that you can hang on their wall. Let them have what they like, but don’t let it be the entire theme of their room because we all know it will change in a month. I remember I loved kittens and cats one day, and the next week I was into sailboats.

Q: What is your best advice for people building a house and decorating it within budget?

A: Be creative and enjoy the hunt. Use antique light fixtures you can get for $30 at a junk store. Also, so many major stores like Lowes have great products at very affordable pricing. There are also a lot of sources on the internet that copy certain styles from big names but at discounted pricing. One thing I always like to keep in mind is adding character to your home, even in the building process. Old architecture, corbels, and old doors are always fun to incorporate in a new home. Just remember to use quality where it counts like kitchens and bathrooms, or you will pay later!

Q: When does your home work best?

A: This home is great for entertaining because of its open space, but also great for lots of kids because of the large bedrooms and play rooms. There isn’t any wasted space, and this house is very functional and practical for our needs. It is a great house for living, and I really love our home most for this reason. In this season of our life with four fun kiddos, it fits us perfectly!

One more thing! I like to encourage women to always remember that their home is a reflection of their hearts and of their families, not a magazine or like someone else’s lifestyle. Keep it true to who you are. It’s important you love your home and that your children are inspired by it. I learned in our recent move that it’s not about the curb appeal or amenities…it’s about the spaces you create and who you create them for.  Have fun with it, and go draw on the walls with your kids!

—-

I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a windmill used inside as decor, but it makes me happy to know that some lucky kids are waking up to one every morning! Thank you, Joanna – and Molly! – for sharing your style with us. And Friends, if you’d like to see one of the sweetest fairy parties ever, take a peek at the one Joanna threw for Ella Rose!

P.S. — If you’d like to share your home with us in my Living With Kids series, drop me a note. I’d love to hear from you!

1 Sandra January 17, 2012 at 6:12 am

What a beautiful space! I love the hardwood floors – practical with kids and stylish too. Just the perfect mix of new and old with some whimsy. It looks like a space that a family really lives in rather than a show home. Well done!

2 Genevieve January 17, 2012 at 6:50 am

What an inspiring way to start my day! So gorgeous! I love the color scheme and clean lines! Thank you, Design Mom! The “Living with Kids” series is great!

3 Sharon @ discoveringblog January 17, 2012 at 7:21 am

GORGEOUS! I love the flow, I love the colors, I love the tables, I love it all! She has amazing talent. You can see that is a house that is lived in – how I wish I lived in it!

4 Lia July 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

I agree! Wall colors and natural furniture are great, but what I LOVED the most was the idea for the chalkboard walls! I don’t have kids, but as a teacher (and an aunt to a once budding artist) I think that is the best way to encourage kids to develop their talents (for drawing or writing!)

5 Giulia January 17, 2012 at 7:32 am

I’m loving this series, so many beautiful homes!

6 Molly Winn January 17, 2012 at 7:38 am

Thanks for posting, Gabrielle! So fun!! xo

7 Jenny also January 17, 2012 at 7:43 am

I love the unique objects and amazing floors! But honestly this house makes me ache for color; especially in the kids rooms!

8 Jen James January 17, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thanks for a wonderful blog. I just discovered it and I’m loving every word and every photo. Also, as I’m about to move into a new house with my family, I’m finding so much inspiration to take the time and make it work and make it beautiful for all of us.

9 Luciane at HomeBunch.com January 17, 2012 at 8:32 am

Wow! Do you know when you look at a place and fall in love right the way? Where you wouldn’t change a thing? This is it!
I love how natural, earthy and family friend this home is. Gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing it, Gabrielle.
xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

10 Summer January 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

Wow, she is one talented, smart, but down to earth lady. Thanks for sharing!

11 mommymary January 17, 2012 at 8:57 am

This was a great post! We’re about have a little addition to the family making it 4 kiddos under the age of 6 and are in the process of buying a house. Joanna had A LOT of kid-friendly tips and ideas that I found so inspiring!

12 Stephanie January 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

I like white too, and have found that it’s a great backdrop for all of the colors than come with having kids. I really love those black wood twin beds. Where are they sold, or are they a DIY project? I’m hoping the homeowner will see this :)

13 Magnolia Mom January 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hi! the beds I actually bought at a very inepensive furniture store. They were bunk beds. They were a plain wood color so I painted them black and distressed the edges :)

thks!!

14 Elaine January 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

Totally cool and fabulously adorable!

15 barchbo January 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

What a gorgeous home – and so warm, too. Love it!

16 Kim January 17, 2012 at 10:28 am

So beautiful! My home is full of neutrals, and I thought I was getting myself into trouble, but I now see that if it’s done right, it’s OK. Our bedroom is the exact color of the master here. It’s still a work in progress, but I’m glad to know that I don’t necessarily have to add color because I didn’t like the way color looked. I looove the black and white accents so so much. Thanks for the post!

17 Joy January 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

I love this home – what tremendous style she has! I can’t say enough about her use of chandeliers in almost every room – spectacular and down to earth, all at the same time!

18 Jadah {Family Sponge} January 17, 2012 at 11:41 am

I am in love! I love the mini boxed wall units filled with books and lovies. I am obsessed with chalkboards too! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home.

19 jenn January 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I love this home. Especially the FLOORS. I’m dying to know the source for the flooring :)

20 Magnolia Mom January 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

Hi! the floors are actually a LAMINATE made to look like distressed hardwoods!! Everyone asks about them when they come over and are surprised when they find out they arent hardwoods. They are very affordable! I have had many diff types of hard woods in my homes and this “look a like” has been my favorite now that i have kids the are the best option. Easy to clean and almost impossible to scratch! We have the wood laminate in our warehouse. If you are interested we can ship to you but you have to find someone to install it.

thks!!

21 jenn March 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

thank you so much for the reply.. I finally just saw this. I am still house hunting right now (actually I’m about to put a bid on a fixer upper- fingers crossed). I will keep you guys in mind for sure. I’ve installed laminate floors before, but I’m hesitant to do it again because my dog HATES it…. it’s just way too slippery for her. I’m thinking maybe the vinyl plank that looks like wood, some are even textured. have you had any experience with that flooring?

22 Chantele August 6, 2014 at 8:11 am

I am interested in these laminate floors that look like hardwood. I’m so over carpet in any space because I have four children under 5. :) this kid friendly but pretty flooring caught my attention. Where can I get more information? I have googled but haven’t found anything. Thanks!

23 Kate August 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm

You have a beautiful home!! I would love to know more about the laminate floors as well, we are in the process of picking some for our second floor. Thank you!

24 Lisa Fyfe January 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I am so inspired by this home. I want to redecorate my own house right now!

25 improviso fashion January 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I´m in love with this house…so adorable. Great ideas!

26 jessica January 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Your floors are stunning! Please do tell the source:)

27 Erin January 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Beautiful home. Thank you for sharing! Love the color of the walls in the dining room and the room with the windmill. Can anyone name the paint color? I have been forever searching for the perfect gray/green/blue.

28 Magnolia Mom January 18, 2012 at 11:15 am

29 Lauren January 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This home is truly inspiring, I love the color scheme and that every room has it’s own unique character without taking away from the overall flow of the space! And those hardwood floors are to die for!

30 Emily Quinton January 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I really adore this home. So many stunning, beautiful and creative touches. So many ideas.

31 madhavi January 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Wow! This is my dream home! I am amazed at how nicely the old and new come together, the colors and the lovely light. Thank you for sharing!

32 Angel January 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm

This is my favorite house tour you have posted about. Thanks for sharing.

33 Kacey January 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Such a gorgeous home and so thoughtfully put together. I love the mixture of whites, blacks, neutrals and woods. It looks like such a happy place for kids and adults alike!

34 kelly January 18, 2012 at 7:38 am

PLEASE tell me what floors there are! I am shopping for floors and these ore perfect!!!! :)

35 Magnolia Mom January 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

Also- the paint colors in the dining and room with windmill are Sherwin WIlliams Oyster Bay!! Great color!

THanks for all the kind words :)

joanna

36 kelly January 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm

How much per sq ft is the laminate?

37 Raley March 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I am so in love with your flooring!! Do u guys sell this? If not, can u please tell me the make and color of the laminate! Beautiful home! Thank u

38 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag January 18, 2012 at 9:09 am

The floors are amazing! I love her mix of Ikea with it all. This series makes my day!

39 Dee January 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

I can’t believe those are laminate floors. What a beautiful home! And in Waco?! I lived right down the road from Waco for 10 years.

40 Kat@MapleLeavesSycamoreTrees January 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm

As a mom of two young boys, I struggle with making my house look nice but also kid friendly/a place where my children want to be. Just today at Bible study, we were encouraged to not get caught up in the “my house/every area of my life has to be perfect” and just enjoy the time we have with our children. (Who cares if it takes an extra 15 minutes to put the dishes away when they’re helping–they love it!) So reading this post was another timely reminder–thank you!

I love all the antique tables scattered around your house–those beefy legs get me every time:)

41 DG January 21, 2012 at 6:07 am

It’s a lovely house, very calming, soothing and has a unique personality as well.

42 Liz January 24, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi Joanna,
Beautiful house. So fun! I was wondering where you get all those great architectural letters you have around the house like the “YUM” in the dining room. Love them! Thanks. :)

43 Magnolia Mom January 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

my husband and i sell them to local shops around town. When business move or go out of business, we get the signs down and spell fun words with them. we have come across some great letters!

44 Kariann January 24, 2012 at 10:15 am

Love and want to marry your house. :)

My daughter would like to know what color you used in the girls room as she is switching bedrooms and is inspired by your decorating.

Thanks!

Kariann

45 Magnolia Mom January 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I believe it is connected gray sherwin williams. It looks lighter in the pic :)

46 Laura January 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

What is the paint color on the wall with the “Yum” sign. Is that oyster bay too? It seems lighter. Thx!!

47 Magnolia Mom January 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

this is 2 shades lighter. sea salt! my fav color

48 Teresa Criswell February 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

I love going to my sister’s home as these pictures express her home filled with effervescent life. However, to go there in person is an experience in which I must express, I never want to leave! Of course I live in Austin, but getting to come see her and Chip and my nieces and nephews is like being in a scene of one the warmest movies you could watch over and over again. Joanna truly knows how to express her love for her family even through the way she designs and decorates! I’m proud to call you my sister Jojo!!! I love designmom’s website…so awesome!!!

49 Emily Young April 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hi! I love love your house! The color scheme is so serene and homey. And the collection of furniture is truly inspiring. Where did you find your gorgeous honey colored farm table dining room table?

50 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com May 8, 2012 at 1:11 am

That is my kind of house. I feel like pinning every photo! Thanks so much for sharing :)

51 Paula May 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Beautiful home! You have inspired me to change things up in my home.
Where did you find the letters for the YuM in your kitchen? Thank you
for sharing your home. Love all of the chalkboards too!

52 Justina June 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Your home is breathtaking! Can I ask where you purchased the chandelier in the photo of the bedroom with two beds in it? It’s exactly what I would like for my bedroom that is being redone at the moment! Thank you for the post, it inspired me!

53 emily @ work mama work August 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

that large chalkboard and the tree stumps as chairs – so great!

54 emily @ work mama work August 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm

“enjoy the hunt” is such great advice! I also love the Shanna Murray decals, they’re always a little piece of magic…

55 emily @ work mama work August 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm

that’s strange, I was looking at another Living With Kids and my comment posted over here…

56 emmeline September 19, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Your home is so lovely. Although your style is more neutral than my own, I feel it is easily adaptable to color. I pinned your room with the dark beams a while ago, but I keep coming back to your page to gather more & more ideas! I think it’s great that you do your Magnolia in-home events! I wish I could come, but I live in Hawaii.

I recently moved into an older home with beams & am trying to make it clean, spiffy & stylish. Old homes are new to me. I admire your work.

57 Suné November 15, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I must say i have found my dream living space. What a lovely home. I live in an old railway house in south africa with loads of potential just waiting for them to sell it to us. My Heart will soar when i can start making this old house a loving home for my family. All I can say is WOW what an inpiration.

58 Kristi edmondson March 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Hi! i found your blog through pinterest. I love the artwork from your site that has been pinned called Rainbowimageanthology.jpg. I really want to know the name of the artist. Do you know that or even the name of the designer who did the room? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

59 nicole @ blog.devereuxetfils.com April 24, 2013 at 7:49 am

I know I’m getting to this post a little late, but just had to say how much I enjoyed this space. So bright, so much character, and cozy to boot! I love it.

60 Sheila April 24, 2013 at 9:35 pm

What a lovely home…can you tell me where the iron/metal bed in the master bedroom came from? I’ve been looking for one for many years and this is the first one that really catches my eye! Thanks!

61 Caroline May 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I have a question for everyone that has kids and used “shabby chick” type decorating with old windows, worn paint etc. Do you consider that this paint is likely to contain lead? I wonder because our daughter had elevated lead in her blood so we had to get rid of furniture with old paint. Do you test it first before bringing it into the house or sandpaper new paint to give it an old look?

62 Michelle May 26, 2013 at 6:31 am

I really love that floor. We have been floor shopping for a while and I just love this one! Where can I buy it??

63 Jennifer Adams July 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I love your home! So beautiful and inviting. What did you use to do the wood floors?

64 Laura November 8, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I watch and enjoy it your t.v. show “Fixer Upper”. I really like your style. I love your all pictures and that’s what exactly on my mind to have these if I’m rich, lol. I have a question for you. What is your nationality? Are you an American natives or what? You look like cross between American Natives: Eskimo and/or Indian. You have a beautiful face. Olive skin and very nice complexion. Please email me at LDomane@hotmail.com. I’m deaf. I appreciate it! Have a wonderful holidays!

65 Terra June 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm

im dying to know too!!!! post for all of us to see!!!

66 McKenna September 25, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Her mother is Korean and father is American.

67 Donna Mollaun September 26, 2014 at 9:01 am

What exactly is American? What a peculiar answer!

68 Judene May 9, 2014 at 8:40 pm

We have a one story home in the houston area and are looking to add an extra bed room a bath up stairs and the same time we would like to change the entire roof line to make it more pleasing to the eye
Would you and your team concerning working in houston?

69 Nicole Lorah May 11, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I absolutely love your style! On one of the ‘Fixer Upper’ episodes, there was a wooden white sign that said “let what you have done today be enough…” Where could I purchase that sign? Thanks!

70 Roberta Miller May 20, 2014 at 10:20 am

You are an absolute inspiration, I love your show. You have such a cute family which makes me love what you guys do even more. I am buying a house in probably 2-3 years and my husband and I want you guys to come help us with our house. Any chance on getting you guys to come to Indiana ;)

71 Lynette May 25, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Started watching Fixer Upper and LOVE your style but even more than that, my husband and I love watching the family dynamic you portray. Lots of laughter, kindness and love. So beautiful. And to see spouses that point out one another’s attributes to their children is so refreshing. That hooked us on the show more than anything. Hoping to see more Fixer Uppers! :)

72 Linda Post June 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Totally agree with every thing Lynette said. My hubby and I just started watching the show and found it refreshing, uplifting and inspirational!

73 Vicki Kaim June 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Your home is absolutely lovely. Your show is my favorite show on HGTV. I love everything that you and Chip do to these homes to bring them back to life. You
I love how you include your children as well.

You have my dream job!

I hope to watch many more episodes for years to come.

74 Joanie June 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I would love to see a photo of the light fixtures over the kitchen counter. I saw them in the background on one of the episodes and I assumed it was the Gaines kitchen. They are silver and have an industrial/barn look to them. Hoping I can find something similar for my home.

75 JoAnn Buonocore June 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Love your style! Love your show! I look forward to Thursdays. I have been a
fan of HGTV for years. Your show is a great addition!

76 Erica June 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Huge fan of your show and designs! I want you to come to california and do my house! My question is how do you get your paint to look “airy” and “light.” My colors always come out very solid and dark despite plenty of natural sunlight. Do you use less color pigmentation when they mix it?

Thanks!

77 Betty Love June 20, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I love your show . Where did you find the tin wash board you put in the house you put three on the wall??

78 Jackie mounts June 24, 2014 at 9:05 am

I love watching “my favorite new show”. Keep the shows coming….they are full of eye candy.

79 Abril July 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Hi Joanne-you have a beautiful house and family. I love your style if decorating. It is my dream to begin a begin a business similar to y’all’s. Maybe one day! I was curious as to when you started having kids?
Keep up the great job! Love the new hgtv show-I watch every episode! :)
Best wishes!
Abi

80 Pat July 10, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Joanna, what is your nationality?

81 Stephanie July 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Gorgeous home!! Can you tell me the name of the paint color in the master bedroom?

82 Suzanne Mothershed July 11, 2014 at 5:58 am

Love your show with your sweet family. Please tell me how to order the laminate floors in your house from you. I’m building a house and love them!

83 Tina McClain July 11, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I love the color in your bedroom. As a matter of fact, I live in West Virginia and my new dream is to move to Waco to have you and Chip decorate a house for me. It’s all I can think about!!! I have logged into a realtor site who updates me on available properties and after I look at the pictures of the inside, I sit and imagine all that you and Chip could do with the place. Oh well….like I said…it’s a dream. I could honestly turn my whole house over to you to decorate and I would love every single inch of it when you were done. I love every part of your decorating style and watch your show every week. I guess you could say I’m ADDICTED!!!

84 Amy July 11, 2014 at 8:58 pm

What is the breed of the two adorable puppies you just got?

85 Holly July 12, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Hi there Joanna, I read one of your posts where you stated that you would sell some of the wood laminate flooring you have installed in your home. Is that the flooring in the main entry way? If so do you have any left and what is the price per square foot?
Thank you and my husband Joe and I really do enjoy your show immensely. Thank you for bringing a smile to us when it is really needed.

86 Elise Johnson July 16, 2014 at 10:44 am

So happy to find this article! Watching this beautiful family on HGTV has been entertainingly fun, makes me smile big and warms my heart! Hip Hip Hooray for Chip and Joanna Gaines! Can’t wait for season 2 of Fixer Upper!

87 Stephanie Templet July 17, 2014 at 11:53 am

Please have someone email me with details of the laminate you used in the farmhouse. Stephanie.templet@yahoo.com I love everything about your farmhouse, your show and your precious family!!!!! Everything is so bright and positive! Bless you!

88 Jill July 24, 2014 at 9:14 pm

You are a breath of fresh air! Your decorating intuition is inspiring. I saw someone ask what makeup you wear, I’m going to ask where do you buy your clothes, and boots? Love your style! Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

89 Beverly Brown July 26, 2014 at 4:49 am

Your personal style is as wonderful as your decorating style. Please share with us your favorite stores/brands for your clothes – I love the tops you wear on the show but have not been able to find them anywhere.

90 Amy July 26, 2014 at 7:10 am

I also love your show and style! Would also be interested in the laminate flooring and how to order decor from your store. Thanks. May God bless your family.

91 Heather July 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

Hi Joanna
I love all of your work and designs:) I was wondering where did you find washboards the metal ones? It was 3 of them u used in a home. Get back with me if you can
Have a wonderful day!
Heather:)

92 Angie August 2, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Joanna, I love your designs !!!! And I love your clothes where do you buy your clothes?

93 ana August 8, 2014 at 10:59 am

I love your effortless style of dress. Your home is truly a reflection of all your talents and love for your family. I also admire the way you incorporate your kids into your show. The little activities you all participate in gives the show a human feel. Your husband is hilarious and equally talented. I have yet to see an hgtv show that comes close to the warmth and love expressed among your family. Genuine and precious. Keep up the beautiful work you all do
and I love your animals and watching the kids in the garden. Look forward to those moments during the show when you are all back home on the farm. Sweetest show on HGTV!

94 Dena McDonald August 9, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Hello, I Love your design technique! Your family is absolutely beautiful!

95 Jennifer August 21, 2014 at 8:34 am

I love the show and your style. I have been inspired to update our living room from a very “old world” style to a much more light and airy rustic style. Could you please tell me where you purchase the slip covered sofas from?

96 dana August 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I have been trying to find where the gorgeous yellow dress you wore along with cowboy boots on a past episode is from. It looked knit , had fabulous detailing, and was the most perfect shade along with a romantic vintage feel. Obsessed!

97 Jessica October 10, 2014 at 12:33 am

Ditto! I can’t find it or even a picture anywhere. Can you!?

98 Cheri Shockey August 24, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Just can not get enough of you two and your great family. With each show I learn more of how to make my space more fun and up to date. WITHOUT breaking the bank…

And as always you two deliver great giggles with your humore. Thank you so much for sharing with us more then just how to build and remodel, but make me for one feel as if I am in your home to just chat.

Take care and PS enjoyed seeing all the animals on your farm.

99 Catherine Crandall September 24, 2014 at 9:29 am

What a lovely home! I love all the furniture’s and decorations you have in your house, as in all of them. All of the materials are perfectly matched and really give lots of statement. Not to mention, that this kind of design is a kid friendly. You are a truly talented mom and wife.

100 Denise September 25, 2014 at 9:50 am

I truly love your HGTV show. It’s so nice to see a married couple working hand in hand. I have never heard the first 4 letter word from either of you and that IS VERY REFRESHING! You can see the love that the two of you have for each other! By far the best HGTV show! I’d love to have you decorate my house and make it a home!

Keep up the great work! Consider coming to North Carolina :)

101 Jan September 28, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Saturday, I watched my first of your shows on HGTV and to my surprise it showed you and your children with the crayon box that my daughter sent me a picture of last month. She said she’d love this for her boys. I’ve searched Online for more pictures of it but I’m not having any luck. I thought I might find it in your Magnolia shop but didn’t find it. Can you provide me with other pictures and dimensions and perhaps my husband can construct it.

102 Dawn Lohrman September 29, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Where can I find the blue curtains u used in the “single mom” episode?

103 Joyce Janelle Bates October 5, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Joanna and Chip. we have fallen in love with your show, your family, work ethic, and love. I grew up in south Waco with my best friend Phyl. We are coming down this fall, sometime just to look around and come by Magnolia. Phyl and I watch across town in the DFW Metroplex and discuss where you in Waco. My husband, the second generation Dallasite, also love your show. Ok here is the noisy, impolite question of the day? What ethnicity are you Jo Jo? My Old Fart Hubby is of mixed blood, and I am accustomed to just asking. Is that Native I see in your eyes and cheek bones or Hispanic? Anyway love the way you would as a family. We hardly ever watch reruns, that your show it is that good. Love y’all JJ

104 Laura October 6, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I am searching for a buffet/hutch like yours. It’s beautiful. Do the know the maker?

Thanks

105 Danni Brooks October 15, 2014 at 9:42 am

I found this show while sitting in the hospital with my husband after he had a stroke in July, I was overwhelmed and felt like nothing was possible anymore. I think it was about 2am and I turned on your new sweet show and a hopefulness came over me. No matter how rough things can be ,” you can make them pretty again” (as your baby said from the car seat in the back of the van) in one show. I still feel quite defeated most days and now everything about my house needs changing but I also know one day it can be done. God bless you for all the joy you bring and the hopefulness! Also love the way you love eachother!!!

106 Genevieve October 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Hi Joanna, My son just bought a home built in 1935. It is in Sikeston, Missouri. He His dad was not in his life when he was growing up so he knows nothing about remodeling or anything about fixing anything! He and his wife think I can just ask you and Chip to come to Missouri and remodel their home and you will come. Such faith! This is my only child so I had to ask. He is the manager of one of the largest distribution plants

107 Diane October 15, 2014 at 6:58 pm

My whole family looks forward to your show! We miss it right now! It does not seem to be on?

108 Tiffany October 23, 2014 at 11:04 am

where did you get the entry way bench?

109 margaret russell November 5, 2014 at 7:30 am

J: You are an inspiration as a mom and a designer/wife/person, all! Thanks for sharing your family and yourself with the world. I live in the midwest and love what you’ve done in Waco. God bless your world. Can’t wait to see more from you and Chip and family.

M.
11/5/14

110 Jaimie November 6, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Where did you get the Yum letters? I just moved into a new place and would love to put something like that in my kitchen

111 Nancy Rios-Roman November 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I love your show and everything that you decorate with. You have eye for things and make a home homey and sooooooooo beautiful. I like to know something next year I planning to retire and live in Florida are you willing to help me find a fixer upper and decorate the home? I’ve inherited a home in Puerto Rico and decided not live there and so the house is for sale now when sold I will be able to buy in full for my home in Florida, but I love you to decorate it and fix it can you? Please write back if your willing to do this? I am serious about doing this.
Thank you!