Design Mom Asks

January 4, 2012

In my head, visiting the department store beauty counter is a treat! But some days, an errand like that is just too intimidating — either because I don’t have time to fit it in, or because I’m not in the mood to face the makeup ladies. So I love hearing about excellent beauty products I can pick up when I’m already at the grocery store or the pharmacy. Convenient, and often inexpensive too! I asked a few beautiful bloggers to share their all-time favorites that won’t break the bank, but make you feel like a million bucks. Here are their pretty little answers.

Vivian of Ish & Chi:
My favourite beauty product is Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I haven’t found another quite like it. It is the holy grail of mascaras, and inexpensive, too. If Maybelline ever discontinues it, I think I might cry…or buy up all of the remaining stock!

Lara of The Glossarie:
My favorite drugstore delight is Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil. It gives a hint of pink tint and a ton of hydration to dry lips, plus it’s 100% natural and it wears all day long. It costs all of $3, and I’m fairly certain it’s the only lip product that I use until the very end and replace repeatedly. In my humble opinion, it dances circles around more spendy tinted lip balms on the market.

Trina of La La Lovely:
The Sonia Kashuk Super Sheer Shimmering Highlighter not only brings a smile to my face, it brings an instant glow…light dancing off your face kind of glow, to be exact! With four little ones, tired is the look my face wears the most. Any product that brightens up my skin and deflects from my tired eyes is well worth its very reasonable price of $6.

I particularly love this highlighter because it can be used a few different ways. Apply a dab directly to your cheekbones and temples, and you’ll be sure to have a sunshine shimmer. Another way to use the highlighter is to mix a small amount in with your foundation or tinted moisturizer. Mixing the two products together will give you that always beautiful, dewy, fresh-faced look. However, one of my favorite little tricks is to think past my face and swipe a small amount across my collar bones and even dust a drop onto my shoulders for an added touch of glowy goodness.

Torrie of A Place to Share:
I use a lot of Boots products from Target. I had always heard great reviews on the brand and its proven effectiveness, and tried it for myself last March. I’ve been very, very happy with the results, and love the prices! I had simply reached a point where I needed good products that didn’t cost a fortune. I don’t mind spending if it’s truly worth it, but I’ve often found drugstore products work equally well. One of my favorite items in particular is the Protect & Perfect Intense Beauty Serum. This is an amazing, silky, and effective anti-aging serum. It is so light and soaks right into your skin, causing it to feel soft and firm without making it feel oily. It has won an Anti-Aging Good Housekeeping award, but the best part about it is that it costs only $23.00!

Jessie of Style & Pepper:
It was so tough to nail down my favorite, but I’d have to say it’s one of my long-standing, tried-and-true secrets…

This tiny bottle of Hoof Lacquer is one of my all-time favorite beauty products. I’ve seen it at several drugstores, but once I realized how amazing it was, I started ordering it in bulk online and gifting it with my favorite nail polish colors to clients and friends! It’s supposed to be the same formula used for show ponies (who knows how true that is!), but all that matters to me is that it works. It makes your nail color last days longer than a regular top-coat, and dries quickly so that you can hop right back into your busy life!

—–

Thank you, beautiful ladies. Jessie, you just reminded me of Mane ‘n Tail, a shampoo that was once all the rage for beauty addicts who craved hair as thick and lustrous as a horse! Did anyone ever try it?

And now it’s your turn, Friends. Share your all-time favorite low-budget-but-genius beauty product, will you, please? I’ll be sharing some of my French drugstore favorites soon, too!

P.S. Here’s an at-home facial for those whose 2012 resolutions include keeping your skin glowing and happy…on the cheap!

1 Lauren@BaylorSays... January 4, 2012 at 6:58 am

#1 is without a doubt VASELINE. Slather it everywhere, but especially on my eyes before going to bed. Who needs expensive serums? Vaseline is a true treasure in a jar.

2 Crystal (theweekendhomemaker.com) January 4, 2012 at 7:00 am

The best beauty secret is to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. My grandmother used Oil of Olay for years and not only did she have the most beautiful skin, I associate that smell with her.

3 Outside Looking In January 4, 2012 at 8:06 am

My grandmother did too!! And that’s exactly what she told me: moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. She never wore foundation so she could moisturize throughout the day. I don’t have oily skin so I follow her same routine of moisturizing through the day (except I don’t use Oil of Olay lol).

4 DivineBlessing January 4, 2012 at 10:28 am

Oil of Ulay is great. My mum uses it, I use it AND my older brother uses it religiously!

5 Malia O. January 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Same thing with my mom but with Ponds Cold Cream!

6 darci January 4, 2012 at 7:32 am

when i have puffy eyes in the AM, i put a little cold milk on a cotton pad and let them sit on my eyes for a few minutes- takes down the puffy and the cold feels so good

7 Christa The BabbyMama January 4, 2012 at 8:16 am

Hmmm, I think the Kiss My Face products are the win for me for inexpensive beauty products, so far as soaps and moisturizers are concerned. For makeup, I go more expensive, but Kiss My Face helps keep my eczema in check!

8 Sarah January 4, 2012 at 10:42 am

Love the Kiss My Face shaving cream. It’s the only one I’ve found that keeps my skin from drying out during New England winters. The peppermint scent is my current favorite. It’s not too strong (so you won’t feel like you’re using toothpaste on your skin), but not too light, either.

9 Chi @ Carousel January 4, 2012 at 8:21 am

Rosewater is a brilliant beauty multi-tasker.

I spritz it on my daughter’s hair (and mine!) – it’s a wonderful moisturizing conditioner.
I also spritz it on my bare skin as a toner or over my mineral make-up for a lovely, dewy glow.

It’s a super skin cleanser, pore tightener and fine line/wrinkle reducer, too! :D

The fact that it leaves a lingering floral scent is an added bonus! :D

10 vermontmommy January 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

Chi, What brand do you use? I used it, what seems like a million years ago. Why have I forgotten about it.

11 Chi @ Carousel January 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi vermontmommy!

None in particular. As a rule, I buy organic and I make sure it’s rose oil and distilled water – nothing more.

I love this exchange of beauty secrets – thanks Gabrielle for starting the conversation! :D

12 vermontmommy January 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thank you.

13 Emily January 4, 2012 at 8:24 am

My son has eczema and his doctor recommended Hydrolatum for treatment, which I found by asking at the pharmacy counter (they kept it behind the pharmacy counter). A giant tub isn’t much more than $10. In the winter my knees and elbows get super chapped from playing on the floor with my son and also from leaning on my desk while at the computer. I’ve started putting hydrolatum on when I get out of the shower and I put on my robe and allow it to soak in. My skin is looking amazing! Another easy trick for dry wintertime hands is to slather them in Aquafor and put some gloves on before going to bed. Your hands will thank you in the morning.

14 Kristen E January 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

Best-ever super-cheap beauty product? Ponds’ cold cream. Yes, the old-fashioned stuff that’s been around for 100 years. I wash my face with it every night (I usually wet a washcloth in super-hot water, hold it to my face for a minute to open my pores, rub on the Ponds with my fingers, and then wipe it off with my washcloth) and it does a better job than anything else I’ve tried. My mom works for an aesthetician and I’ve tried all their expensive, fancy scrubs and washes and moisturizers, but Ponds works better than any of them. My skin is soft and supple with no dry patches or oily spots! My grandmother used it every night and didn’t get wrinkles till she was in her 60s, so I have high hopes too. ;)

15 Kristen January 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

What timing! I was just thinking this morning that I use to spend a fortune on high end products but now most of the items in my makeup bag are from Target…and they’re just fine! I really like the Revlon ColorStay line of foundations, concealer, etc. And Cover Girl Lash Blast. And, like other reader have mentioned, Vaseline and Olay products.

16 All Unwound January 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

Great tips. I’m going to try the “at home facial.”

I’m also going to check out that anit-aging non oily moisturizer from Target!

17 Amber January 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love just the regular old Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm–I always have it and always restock. It keeps my lips really soft and yet I can’t really feel that there is anything on my lips.
Also I like Lashblast mascara by Cover Girl. I put on a coat of the regular followed by a coat of the water proof and it looks great!

18 Élan January 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

I am a sucker for cover girl…maybe its all the america’s next top model that i watch while i veg…seriously, their smoky shadowblast sticks rock. they are creamy, easy to use, and cheap enough to be all of them to mix and match! love them!!

19 Sam B. January 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

I like Cover Girl Lashblast mascara, too!
However, my favorite drug store product is the Neutrogena anti-aging moisturizer. It’s about $22 (although I’ve gotten it for as little as $16 with coupons) and contains retinol as well as SPF 30. It’s not too thick or greasy, and I love that it dispenses through a little pump.
And since the cost is so reasonable, I don’t mind using a generous amount :)

20 Mary January 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

I definitely have to agree with Burt’s Bees – I carry a tinted moisturizing lip balm in my purse, and we have the regular ones all over the house just in case dry lips attack. It’s the best.

21 Joy January 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

I use Aveeno Daily Facial Scrub in the shower every morning. CVS has their own brand that is just as good, too. It has exfoliating beads in it that really clean and brighten your face! Also use Aveeno Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 on my face every morning and at bedtime after washing my face. I’m 61 and no wrinkles so far!

22 Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) January 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

I can’t survive without Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets – or a no-name equivalent.

23 khmetalwork January 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

I buy cheap moisturizer with alpha hydroxy acids and mix in my hand with one drop of vitamin E oil for my every day moisturizer – it can be varied for time of year as far as thickness/coverage. I started this practice, after going to Nordstrom and given samples of very, very expensive product which was easily replicated using drug store items. price difference about $200.

24 Becca Bell January 4, 2012 at 10:53 am

I have three girls with thick, sometimes wavy, and very tangly hair (not to mention my own dry, frizzy locks). I discovered coconut oil. I went to a health food store and bought a brand called Spectrum naturals, Organic virgin coconut oil, unrefined. All you have to do is head up the jar a little in the microwave, and then add a peasized drop to your hair (with your conditioner if you like), then rinse out. This is the best detangler in the world, and I have a feeling this jar will last us years ($10). Note-if you put too much in at once, your hair will be so oily, and look like it is wet when it is not. But it smells sooo good!

25 Chi @ Carousel January 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oooh, I love it too! :)

My daughter and I use it on our hair when we run out of our regular oil (Monoi de Tahiti). I tend to warm it between my palms and it’s read to to use.

We also moisturize (our skin) with it and I cook most of our meals with it. Beauty from the inside out is the very best kind, after all!

26 Susan January 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

My absolute favorite beauty staple is Tree Hut’s Shea Sugar Body Scrub. For under $8, this delicious scrub turns every shower into a mini spa. My faves are the Brazilian Nut (smells like chocolate!) and the Almond and Honey (mmm, cookies). And the best BEST part? You can get it at Walmart (in fact, this scrub is the ONLY reason I go to Walmart — it’s that good).

27 Becky January 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

For dry, sensitive skin:
Go to a compounding pharmacy and buy a tube of the cold cream compounding base. It’s basically generic, unscented cold cream and it’s the best makeup remover/moisturizer in the world. Smear it on and wipe it off with soft tissues, or cotton squares (cut cloth diapers into small squares and serged or hem the edges – reusable and you can throw them in with any load of wash!).
For lusher lashes:
Vaseline. Smear a little on at night. Better than Latisse – makes your lashes healthy and won’t turn your blue eyes brown. :)
For very chapped lips:
Dr. Dan’s CortiBalm, a tube-style lip balm with 1 percent hydrocortisone. Or, while at the compounding pharmacy you can pick up a small tube of 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment, which does the same thing. Yes, I do love a good compounding pharmacy!

28 vermontmommy January 4, 2012 at 11:10 am

I too love the Maybelline Mascara and the Burts Bee chapstick. I also like Dessert Essence Tea Tree Oil face wash. I swear by Paul Mitchell’s hair gel for my curly hair. The bottle last me a while and it keep my hair curly but not crunchy. I love cocoa butter that comes in the tube for about $1.99.

29 ModFruGal January 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I used Desert Essence for years from Whole Body, but now that Trader Joe’s carries a Tea Tree facial cleanser line, I’ve switched and can’t say enough good things about it.

30 vermontmommy January 10, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thank you for that tip. We have moved and do not have a TJ’s near us. However, word just got out that we will have one this year! I will be sure to check it out when they get here. Thank you. :)

31 jeanne@bellissimakids.com January 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

Almond and Castor oil:

I was just thinking yesterday how effective my almond oil and castor oil massage is! Now that my skin has turned dry, nothing seems to moisturize it but this combination and my skin stings with anything these days but not this. The secret is to apply it to a damp face-not wet, as the oils seals in moisture that is already there. So, I spray my face with Evian mist first. Or you can wash and blot almost dry.
Then pour in your palm a little puddle of almond oil (cold pressed, chemical free) and about 30% of that amount of castor oil (make sure the castor oil is cold pressed and hexane free) and rub that in your hands to warm.. and then massage your whole face and then your hands. If you used too much oil, just gently blot your face. I am amazed at how soft my skin is and how it does absorb into the skin and seem to minimize wrinkles. We all love that. The castor oil has the same PH balance and the almond oil acts as a carrier. Be careful not to use too much castor oil as it will actually your skin, believe it or not.
An added benefit is that castor oil rubbed into lashes makes them stronger and longer. It is one of the ingredients in a lot of lash building products and is completely safe if it gets into the eyes.

32 jeanne@bellissimakids.com January 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

Whoops, I meant it will actually dry your skin. See comment above. Also, this treatment works better after steaming and exfoliating.

33 Gina January 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

I use NYC lip gloss, it’s 99 cents and is equivalent to Lancome’s juicy tubes.

34 Victoria January 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

I love this post! Thank you ladies :) I also love Boots Protect and Perfect beauty serum (£20), Maybelline Collosal Lashes (£8), Rose Vaseline and Olay moisturisers.

35 Kasey January 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

Target carries the British Boots line and I love their face and body scrubs (all natural!)

36 Misty January 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Due to my sensitive skin I am a big fan of the Boots line at Target and will only wear Maybelline lipsticks and Falsies mascara.

37 Kym January 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I found out about Maybelline ColorSensational lipstick on Pioneer Woman’s website….it is AMAZING. I love lipstick, but every. single. kind. I have tried dries my lips out. Every last one. Even the expensive ones. This lipstick is creamy, the colors are great, it doesn’t dry my lips out, it doesn’t feather, it doesn’t develop weird blotches and lines as you wear it off. I use the softer colors just like chapstick. It’s amazing. And cheap!!!!

38 Lizzi January 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm

My favorite super-cheap beauty product is E.L.F. shimmering facial whip. It’s only $1! I found it recently at target, but used to buy it online years ago. I use it on the apple of my cheeks and on my eye lids after moisturizing and before putting blush on my cheeks and eyelids. The only drawbacks are that it can come out really watery at first, and you have to be careful not to overdo it. Also, I used to buy it in the blush pink color, but I recently bought it in the silver/white color, and sometimes I think my skin color is too warm to wear those cool tones. That’s why I try to keep it light so that the coloring doesn’t look weird. But when I get it right, I get lots of compliments about how healthy I look. :) Trick!

39 Melissa Edwards January 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Oh I love this post. And I love that you brought up the mane n’ tail shampoo. I remember it being all the rage but my mother would never buy it for me. I bought it on my own, with my allowance (I don’t think it was more than 2 dollars) and she just shuddered when I brought it in the house. HA!

I don’t like going to make up counters either but I love going to the drug store and trying new products. (My husband hates the build up of unused products under our sink.) Something I discovered a year or more ago that I totally love is the yes to products which are found at CVS and Walgreens here in Texas. I really love all the yes to Carrots products, especially the shampoo and conditioner!

40 hyzen January 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

I grew up riding horses and used Mane n’ Tail on them regularly, and actually decided to try it out on my own long, fine, easily tangled hair after seeing how well it worked with the horses. I thought it was hilarious later when it started showing up on drug store shelves, but it really did work! Hoof Lacquer wasn’t popular for horses in my area, but we often used a hoof dressing that contained things like Fish Oil, Pine Tar, Wheat Germ Oil, Iodine, Linseed Oil, Neatsfoot Oil, and Venice Turpentine. I wouldn’t want to put that on my nails! It did a good job of moisturizing and strengthening the horses’ hooves, though, and making them look beautifully black and shiny!

41 Danielle Diehl January 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm

hmm, l’oreal mascara; baby wipes for mascara removal; conditioner to tame the frizzies (a bit on dry hair); can’t live without Qtips

42 Tamsin January 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I buy huge bottles of cheapy conditioner and use it to shave my legs. It works like a charm on my dry skin, and one bottle for a few dollars will last me months. I like the shea butter and almond conditioner from Suave right now.

I also swear by Gold Bond Softening Skin Therapy lotion. I have dry skin, and it leaves my skin so soft and smooth. We’ve even started using it on my son’s eczema prone cheeks. His skin has stayed smooth and gorgeous for months now.

43 Pam G January 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I loved Mane’n'Tail! It smells great, and my hair which usually ends up looking frizzy no matter what I do, definitely looked loads more silky after using it. Too bad it’s not available here in the UK:( Also, they make a hand cream (for hooves) which I got my husband after I visited the States. He was a bit turned off by the veterinarian recommendation on it, but couldn’t deny how well it worked.

44 Adrianne January 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Love Aveeno’s face washes and their Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer. It’s under $10 and SPF 15 and I use it morning and night. While I love feeling glamorous buying luxurious beauty products, I always regret all the money I spent and the products piling up. No guilt at Target! (Well, not as much.)

45 Lisa Pilger January 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you for bringing us all together for this wonderful and helpful dialogue! I must add my votes for the Boots line at Target. I’m a faithful fan, especially of the Repair and Protect serum. I also love the Burt’s Bees lip products, tinted and regular. My add to the list is Benefit High Beam. For over 40 women like me, this shimmer liquid is low-key, but adds just the right amount of dewy glow. I use it on the bridge of my nose, the highest part of my cheekbones and the tip of my chin. Since starting to use the product, my friends have often commented on my glowing skin and radiant complexion. I have dry skin and though I buy and use Aquaphor and other rich moisturizing creams, I love to slather olive oil on my hands, cuticles, feet and elbows before going to bed. Works like a charm!

46 Allison McClymont January 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Batiste Dry Shampoo. It has revolutionized my hair-washing regime, and I beg all you fine-haired lovelies to get thee to an apothecary and buy some, pronto! It absorbs oil and freshens your ‘do in seconds—meaning you don’t HAVE to shower every day in order to have “out-in-public” hair. It even makes you smell clean. Smoke and mirrors, ladies….:)

47 Stephanie January 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I have to second this. Dry shampoo has completely changed my shampoo/blow-dry routine. My hair looks as good or better on dry shampoo days than just regular shampoo days. I also love it for touching up my hair if I’m going out for the night and it needs a bit of volume and texture.

I bear my testimony of it to everyone.

48 Andrea Howe January 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Rejuvacote by Duri Cosmetics – the best nail growth polish I’ve ever used, and Allure editor’s top pick ;) $15 a bottle plus free shipping, it heals chipped, damaged, brittle and peeling nails in a matter of days. http://www.duricosmetics.com/

49 Wendy McSwain January 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I like using Vasoline on everything too. Especially when my skin is so dry in the winter. I love Loreal Great Lash mascara and Clinique blue eye makeup remover. I really need something for the wrinkles around my eyes. This morning I woke up looking like the lady on the sleep aid commercial on tv right now. Horrid! I can’t wait to try the Boots protect & protect and the super sheer shimmer stuff. Thanks for posting! I really need to freshen up this sleepy skin!

50 Karin S January 4, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I’m totally outing myself here but I use Huggies natural/unscented baby wipes to take my makeup off at night. I also use them in the mornings for a quick pick me up. They’re nice and cool and they are so gentle. I have very sensitive skin so I figured if they were good enough for my daughter’s bum they’re okay for my face! LOL

51 RebeccaNYC January 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

love this post! My absolute favorites…unscented Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizer which I use on body, face and hair, generic baby shampoo to wash my face (soap free and it removes waterproof mascara) and Carmex lip balm. I also use baby wipes at work to remove stage makeup (I work in the theater) quickly so I can get on the subway and get home, where I wash it off more throughly. (stage makeup can be pretty stubborn..)

52 Leah January 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Great post! I’ve been moving toward greener, less chemical-ly products over the last few years… I now wash my face each night using the Oil Cleansing Method (http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/) with a combination of castor & olive oil. LOVE it.

And in the last month my family and I have fallen in love with Coconut Oil for moisturizing… I bought a jar because it was recommended to me for my itchy, 8 months pregnant belly but in the following weeks my entire family has started slathering it all over. My poor 4 year old’s knuckles were cracked and red from all the handwashing they do at preschool, but now with a daily slather of coconut oil they are almost totally back to normal! It’s super affordable and smells delicious.

53 Mary January 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Garnier Fructis hair products. I absolutely swear by them now…and I’m a recovering shampoo snob. Nothing beats Garnier!

54 Amanda Z. January 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I am a curly haired gal and I have recently started using the Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves on my hair. In the morning I spray with water, comb out the tangles, and then spray on the Wonder Waves. It air dries into beautiful no-frizz curls.

55 Tasha January 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Wow ladies! All of these have been tried and true for me, but must say that I cannot live without NOZEMA! When I was young I was an ivory girl but as a teen began cleansing with this and have never stopped! I swear by it…and my husband and son have both shaved with it (yes, the thick one in blue container) for years now and at 45 and 25 they both have baby mugs! LOL Wish I could show you, but they’d kill me!
Recently began using Organix brand moroccan argan oil…just a bit on my hair daily makes it soft, healthy looking and smells DELISH!!!
Aside: Don’t you hate when an item you love stops production!? This happened once for me with Noxema when they were re-designing their product (new launch about 2 summers ago) as well as the organic, wonderful Rachel Perry line items I had used since the 80′s. Desperate, I even searched ebay, etc. recently to no avail…it’s gone:(

56 Tasha January 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm

NOXEMA!!! Sorry spelling error!

57 Kari January 5, 2012 at 9:07 am

I love Noxema! Used it since I was a teenager and now my 15 yr. old daughter uses it as well. I find Noxema at the Dollar General store.

58 Julie January 4, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I remember Mane n’ Tail in the 80′s. All my friends and family used it; we all had long flowing hair down to our tushes, and lots of little kids keeping us too busy for beauty care, but that shampoo made us shine. I sold Jafra Cosmetics at that time as a home party sales business, and the prize product was “Royal Jelly” moisturizer, made by bees. It was the fountain of youth to dry desert skin.

59 Angela January 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Loreal Magic Perfecting base is awesome, and I love Revlon Photo Ready foundation. I was a Nars Orgasm blush lover for a while, but switched to Cover Girl plumberry glow and love it just as much.

60 Sarah January 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Best news ever, been looking for a more affordable option for the Nara blush, it’s my fav, but so expensive. Thank you!

61 Kari January 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m not sure if you would consider this a “beauty product” but it’s something I can’t do without….Listerine Whitening Vibrant White Pre-Brush Rinse. I drink tons of coffee and tea and used to have problems with staining on my teeth. I started using this rinse twice daily and can’t believe what a difference it has made. It really prevents stains and my teeth are super white all the time. I always get compliments on my white teeth!

It has somewhat of a different taste than the normal Listerine products (which some have told me they do not like but I love it). Depending on what size bottle you purchase, you can find it for less than $10.

62 Lauren L January 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm

pssst dry shampoo, dirt cheap at walgreens and as good as the $$$$ ones!

CG outlast lipstain

maybelline mascara–why spend more?

loreal liquid liner with a BRUSH, not a tip.

save your $$$ for MAC lipstick and eye shadow and NARS blush!

63 Tasha January 5, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Have been wanting to try a dry shampoo as I hate to overwash my hair…how does it work? Any particular brand suggestion? Thanks – :)

64 dana January 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Olive oil and kosher salt exfoliates beautifully, and costs pennies. Be sure to rinse the shower after using it, though!

65 Kristen January 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

A movie set makeup artist gave me this tip a few years ago…. Use Bactine as a toner each night. It made so much sense—kills the bacteria that cause icky blemishes but is nice and cheap.

66 Torrie @ a place to share... January 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I’m finally back (from Oregon) and had the click on all of the links, and read the comments! Thank you again for reaching out and asking, and at the same time- sharing so many inexpensive, tried n’ true products with us… a much needed wealth of information.

67 Sue Ceglinski January 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

What a great post! Thanks for all the tips, I’m going to try several of these! I can’t live without:
- Up and Up (Target brand) makeup remover cloths. I have sensitive skin and after trying all on the market this one is the best.
- Maybelline Full & Soft mascara, I’m surprised no one has mentioned it it is the most awesome mascara out there. great definition yet light and separates all the lashes – and comes off nice and easy
- Frizz Ease Dream Curls spray – I only wash my hair 2-3 times per week. it’s got a natural wave to it and for day 2 & 3 I just spritz some on, run my fingers through my hair and scrunch and the waves are revived. LOVE this stuff.
- Nivea kiss of smoothness or kiss of hydration lip balm . soooo nice.

68 Miriam January 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

Rosebud Salve! Cannot get through the day without it, use it on lips, cuticles and my son’s dry cheeks. I buy it in bulk so I save a little money on it. If I was stuck on a desert island and could only bring one beauty product it would be my Rosebud Salve.

69 Lindsay January 8, 2012 at 6:33 am

I just discovered a new skincare line at Whole Foods a few weeks back – it’s called ACURE. I’ve been using the resurfacing cream, night cream and day cream. I also really like Weleda in the winter when my skin is super dry. I use their Cold Cream and Skin Food.

70 Liz January 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

How has no one mentioned Cetaphil?! When I was in college, my skin changed from super oil to (suddenly!) super dry. When nothing was giving me enough moisture and my skin was super flaky I ran to the dermatologist and she told me to use the Cetaphil gentle cleanser *without* water. Just rub it on and use a tissue to wipe it off. It leaves a moisture residue and then you just put your regular night cream on over that. In the summer, when my skin is less dry, I’ll rinse it off with water.

Their moisturizers are awesome too. I use the thicker one (it comes in a tub) in the winter and it’s the only thing I’ve found that fully absorbs (no icky feeling when you put your pants on). In the summer I switch to their lighter moisturizer (comes in a pump).