Video Greeting Cards

December 5, 2011

Oh my goodness! You have to see this adorable video. Instead of sending out Christmas cards, the Fosters make a video each year. And they go all out!

I’ve actually seen several great video greetings this year (here’s another one) and I’m wondering… Would you say it’s a trend? If you had the iMovie skills would you prefer making a video to sending a paper card?

This does seem like something right up Ralph’s alley. Maybe I should put him to work! : )

1 Chris December 5, 2011 at 6:58 am

I remember seeing their videos last year after my family had put one together to kick off a giveaway at our Inn. Their family is adorable and their videos are so well art directed and filmed.

It is definitely a tradition that has stuck for us and we are shooting our new one this week. It is fun because, everyone can be goofy and the kids love watching it all year. This is especially true when you all work together–it’s nice to have this time together that is fun and stress-free, even if for few minutes and especially around the holidays.

2 Design Mom December 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

It’s so great, Chris! I’m glad you included a link.

3 Christine December 5, 2011 at 7:11 am

My first set of family Christmas cards arrived today and I love(d) them. Photos of my baby on the front, I thought they were the best ever. Now I’ve seen this and think oh man THIS is the coolest ever :)

Totally seems like it’s Ralph’s thing.

4 Bonnie B. December 5, 2011 at 7:28 am

So Fun!!

5 teresa December 5, 2011 at 7:30 am

Holy cow fun- wish I had some movie making skills- I’m so pinning this…perhaps one of my kids will get the idea.
Thanks for sharing

6 Heather December 5, 2011 at 7:31 am

It’s awesome! Definitely put Ralph to work! You have a whole cast on hand!

7 Design Mom December 5, 2011 at 11:43 am

Seriously! We do have a whole cast. I wonder if that’s a plus or a minus? : )

8 Jody Nebesnik December 5, 2011 at 7:43 am

Yes this seems like a perfect project for your family!? What a great keepsake to have. I especially loved the cotton balls!!! Magical.

9 Deborah December 5, 2011 at 8:03 am

So much fun to work on something together! I think this may be next years “card!”

10 Beth December 5, 2011 at 8:03 am

Fun! My favorite is the snapdragon Inn video that Chris posted above. I think I like them better with less polish.

11 cleo December 5, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love the snapdragon inn video as well.
I’m not as skilled at creating videos, so I like this website:

Little kids love getting a message from Santa and you can make the videos funny for your family or friends.

12 Corrie Anne December 5, 2011 at 8:50 am

OH. I would TOTALLY do this!!!! We sent out an engagement announcement video so this would totally be our thing as well!! Wow. I want to try it!

13 Design Mom December 5, 2011 at 11:43 am

How fun, Corrie Anne! I love that you made a video for your engagement.

14 Melancholy Smile December 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thanks for reposting this, Gabby! If anyone would like to see our past videos, check out my blog {www.melancholysmile.blogspot.com}. I’ll be posting our behind-the-scenes photos and a blooper reel this week. :) Merry Christmas!

15 Tanya December 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

Talented lip syncers! Such a fun idea

16 Robyn December 5, 2011 at 9:34 am

Love it! Some friends 0f some friends did another one that we LOVE on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4TFcK1zak&list=PL7523BE9816A93039&feature=plcp. Such a great idea! Wish I had those mad skills.

17 The BabbyMama December 5, 2011 at 9:37 am

Is it terrible that I think they’re neat but don’t love them as a Christmas card? I don’t even like the pre-printed photo cards everyone sends around these days. Where’s the hand written greeting? The personalization?

18 Jenny also December 5, 2011 at 9:46 am

Very cute but I missed a family shot of them all together. Is that 3 or 4 boys they have?

19 Jillian December 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

Wow! How fun! I would definitely try to make one if I had the movie skills :) I would add an all-family shot to it though.

20 Barchbo December 5, 2011 at 9:52 am

I thought of Ralph immediately! I would love to see what he comes up with for your family.

Speaking of your family, we are getting a new restaurant around the corner called Olive & June’s – when it opens, I’ll be sure to snag you a souvenir!

21 Design Mom December 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

I would love a souvenir, Barchbo!

22 Brent Morris December 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

Those are great, and must be so fun to produce! We dont do videos, but in lieu of sending cards we send emails with animated gifs.
see them here…

23 Design Mom December 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

Those are awesome, Brent!

24 Rose December 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

We do a silly Christmas Card every year. This certainly is a fun alternative. My only beef is I think they are a bit long. Cut the song short.

25 Kristin December 5, 2011 at 11:56 am

I was wondering why Ralph hadn’t done this already too. :)

26 miggy December 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I think the video is perfection! They always knock it out of the park and I wouldn’t change a thing! And I have to say, while it’s fun for us to watch it (the ‘us’ that doesn’t know them) I imagine it’s all the more magical and fun for the family and friends it’s really intended for.

27 Kerry December 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Gabrielle,

I added the link to this post to the Practically Green blog. They posted last week about holiday e-cards. I also submitted your post as a suggest link to the “send e-cards” suggested action (it will be posted after approval).

28 Sarah R. December 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Our family does Christmas videos as well, instead of gifts. They are entirely unprofessional, and a complete pain in the behind to put together, but we love them just the same. It is soooo hard to make a video with kids in it!

Anyway, our only rule is that every member of the family has to be in it (with their ages), AND that we try and make each other laugh. After all is said and done it ends up being rather joyful. The first year my MIL lip synched to Dolly Parton and wore dollar store basketballs in her shirt! So, so classic!

29 the emily December 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

That is fantastic! I’ve seen that family’s videos before and each year I am struck by how gorgeous the mom is. That is so much fun! I could never in one hundred million years, ever, convince my husband to do that. But I WANT TO SO BAD!

30 This girl loves to talk December 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm

ours are NOWHERE near as cool as these but we have been sending christmas video cards for a few years and just made this years last night! (while putting up our tree I took hundreds of photos and we’ve made it into a stop animation of the tree going up – very easy to do and i think it looks great!)

previous years we acted out the nativity when we had a real baby in the house! its one of my favourites. We’ve done rudolf and last year we used bags and bags of shredded paper to make ‘SNOW’ in our living room (it doesnt real snow in Australia!!) we taped ourselves throwing paper everywhere and doing snow angels. WAS SO MUCH FUN!

While it takes a little coaxing to get my kids to do these things (there is sometimes complaints!) They LOVE to watch the end product over and over again so I remind them how much they will love it in the end.

The trick is to just tape whatever you want and then put a song over the top. If people ‘heard’ what is actually going on in our videos (ALOT Of noise, bossing around and directing and even yelling sometimes!) we and they would cringe alot! but put some sweet christmas music over the top! and voila you’ve got a lovely video christmas card!

31 Kate The Great December 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I giggled at this a lot, Gabby. Thanks for brightening a holiday filled with packing boxes.

32 Danielle Goulet December 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Unbelievably cool!! I’m am floored by their creativity, beauty, and talent. A beautifully blessed family.

33 Tara Marchiori December 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Hey Gabrielle, thanks for linking to our funny family video “Let it Snow” (that is like going on Oprah for me!!!). While it is not uber professional – we aren’t professionals – just a family that loves a challenge and a fun project. The kids were totally game and I can see it being a great tradition. Also – I have never used iMovie so beginners shouldn’t be intimidated.

To answer your question, we loved making the video (which was inspired by the Foster’s video you posted last Christmas – they are genius!) but I still make a card. There is something about hanging the Christmas cards that can’t be replaced by a video – so we’ll do both!
Much joy to you and yours!

34 lula December 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

am I the only person who thinks that this is over-the-top for a Christmas greeting? Now not only are people trying to have super professional photos and crazy designed cards/letters but some people are going to make videos too? I mean it feels like a family advertisement or talent show instead of an actual Christmas greeting and wish. (I love the video, it’s awesome but goodness no, not for a Christmas card!)

35 Kelly December 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’m right there with you. I feel a bit Grinchy in my cold heart for saying so, but it’s a bit too precious and self-congratulatory for my tastes. Obviously it’s lovely and very creative, but….hmm. If I sent something like this out to my own extended family, the eye-rolling would last long into the new year!

36 Kimberly December 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Nah. You’re not alone. I love holidays, but thanks to the internet every holiday has become a competition to see who can carve the most intricate pumpkin or dye the most gorgeous egg or have the most awesome family Christmas card/photo/video.

37 kaela d. December 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm

hahaha i can’t handle the lip-syncing! so awkward…looks really good though. i like the let it snow one better. looks like they were having fun just trying something different.

38 bdaiss December 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Oh their videos are always so fun! Thank you for sharing!

39 steven March 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

if u are interested in video cards, why not drop me a call at 86 13537731217 or write to stevensstore@yahoo.com.

40 Allena December 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

We are making a video card for Christmas this year! We are going to have a dance off to Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

41 Macony May 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

There is a good website http://www.fun-tek.com for us to get so many fun design video greeting cards. 4.3 inch LCD video card is playing HD videos and movies with sweet sound. I like VGC-043 for my kids. Really amazing stuff…