Refrigerators as Decor

December 7, 2011

Remember when we discussed the insides of our refrigerators? That post actually turned into an eye-opening back-and-forth about why eggs aren’t refrigerated in some other countries!

But seeing Cina’s well-decorated fridge yesterday left me thinking; the exteriors of our refrigerators reveal a lot about our lives and design aesthetic, don’t they? Some act as command centers, recipe books, grocery lists, or revolving photo albums, while others match the home’s tone: clean stainless steel, cabinet-coordinated, glass-front, wallpapered, and even chalkboard-painted.

What’s your refrigerator door design theory? What does yours look like this very minute? I’d love to know!

Image by Marcos Antonio for Casa e Jardim

P.S. Take a peek at a few more bold refrigerator statements. Speed Racer made me smile!

1 Anne December 7, 2011 at 6:38 am

My refrigerator is covered in kids’ art and pictures of my friends’ kids. When it gets too cluttered (about once a month–my daughter makes a lot of art), I take everything down and start all over again.
I love the photo with this post. What an adorable room.

2 Design Mom December 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love that room too, Anne!

3 mixedmolly December 7, 2011 at 7:18 am

I love the color of that fridge in the picture. Our fridge has the family calendar and a few magnets of my grandparents as kids that my aunt gave me. Also a couple of retro 50′s advertisements. My favorite ad has the headline “So the harder a wife works, the cuter she looks.” Makes me smile every time :)

4 Design Mom December 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

How neat to have your grandparents magnets! What a fun heirloom.

5 Christa The BabbyMama December 7, 2011 at 7:39 am

My fridge has the family calendar and a selection of magnets and usually one piece of Babby artwork – currently it’s the first real rainbow she painted :) I try to keep it uncluttered, but sometimes…

6 Design Mom December 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yay for first rainbows!

7 hyz December 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Well, I missed the prior discussion on eggs, etc., but I just went back and read it. One thing that wasn’t mentioned is that I’ve heard eggs in the US are often already 8 weeks old or more by the time you bring them home from the grocery store, which, in addition to having had the protective natural waxy coating scrubbed off, also leads to required refrigeration. Fresh, unwashed eggs should last at least a couple weeks at room temperature, or 12+ weeks in the fridge (from personal experience, I’ve had eggs stay good as long as 4 months). We have chickens, and I keep our eggs in the fridge partly because we don’t have a lot of counter space, and partly so I know they’ll certainly still be fresh by the time I am ready to use them. As for our fridge, it is a hulking stainless monster which is too big for our little kitchen and which I’d love to replace, and it is not magnetic (except for a few small spots on the side), so it is unadorned.

8 Design Mom December 7, 2011 at 10:04 am

Good to know about the eggs, Hyz!

9 Farrah December 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

Mine is FILLED with magnets. I have been collecting them since I was single in my 20′s, I would always grab one when I went somewhere new. Then my boyfriend/now husband did too. Now, we still do and are running out of room! I think I need to retire them though, as we want to keep the tradition with our kids alive and let them pick out the magnet :)

10 Louisa Rose December 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

I love the picture. So colourful and pretty. I’m not sure I like the sofa next to the fridge but hey ;) Our fridge is covered in our sons masterpieces, and it helps that I have an obsession with magnets :)

11 becky up a hill December 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I have two enlarged sepia pix of the Arc de Triomphe, from an old post card I own. A few comics, few magnets, a parking permit from Mt. Rushmore, when my husband flew back to the mid-west to bring our son home, it was a side trip and it makes me happy to look at it.

12 Lauren December 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Lol, my fridge is a wreck! Near the top (anything our 2 year old can’t reach), there’s masses of notes and my more breakable magnets (I’ve got some adorable pottery ones). Some of these notes have been there since we moved here over a year ago, and before that they were probably on our old fridge for more than 2 years, lol. There are coupons (some of which expired long ago), a miniature cork board covered with notes, magnets holding as many recipes on scraps of paper as they can… I know where everything on there is, but anyone else wouldn’t be able to find anything.

The bottom part belongs to our son (the 2 year old I mentioned earlier). There’s a magnetic game puzzle thing that makes farm animal noises, some alphabet magnets, ect. I keep trying to put some of his drawings there, but he keeps taking them down, lol.

13 christina December 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

My fridge is bare at the moment and I like it that way! Save for 2 wood magnets that represent our zodiac animals. Monkey for me, Rooster for my husband. My sister is hunting up a Tiger for our tot…

But “baby artwork” will probably start going up there soon :)

14 Diane December 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm

My fridge sports the names of my 4 WONDERFUL grandkids…Olivia, Gibson, Sophie and Everlee…made from an assortment of magnetized plastic & foam letters, scrabble pieces, giant coins, happy faces, etc……it is so adorable!!!
Someday I hope to have the entire surface covered with names :)

15 alyson boehr December 8, 2011 at 3:19 am

The fridge is my life! Its covered with friend and family photos so I can look at those I love on a regular basis. As well I’ve got all sorts of magnets that the children love to play with…and my daily calendar. I would be lost without my fridge door ;)

16 Jennifer March 29, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Hello Gabrielle, I just love your vintage fridge….for sometime I have wanted to do something with ours….it has marks all over it with age…but it still has lot of use. I was thinking of spray painting it…how did you do your one? Any ideas from you I would appreciate very much. Pinterest is such a wonderful site…I just love it…cheers from New Zealand

17 Claire Hansen February 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Hey! Refrigerators are a death trap for little kids, even older kids who might play near them. The older refrigerators cannot be opened from the inside and you must know how much kids love to climb into small spaces! Or encourage their smaller friends to try, not realizing how quickly suffocation takes place. PLEASE do not encourage ANYONE to use old refrigerators or any container that a child cannot easily open from within to escape. Rethink this one, please!