Oscar’s Horses

December 28, 2011

Did I tell you my kids were out of school the entire week before Christmas? We loved having them home and especially loved getting to skip the morning-get-to-school routine. But, since Ben Blair and I were both working last week, the kids had to entertain themselves.

Oscar kept himself busy by making a series of large cut-paper horses. Aren’t they awesome? They are about as big as he is! Each one is different. Each one has powers of some sort and an associated story. If Oscar tells you the story of one of the horses, he will probably need to stop midway through to add something to the drawing that he just thought of.

Do not be fooled. Even though some might look like unicorns, THEY ARE NOT UNICORNS (emphasis added by Oscar).

I am in love with this series of horses and so impressed he took on such an ambitious project. But I’m also feeling lucky about the art studio at La Cressonnière and the fact that our landlords had it stocked for us with stacks of over-sized paper. I find that big paper inspires big ideas.

Have your kids ever surprised or inspired you with a project or idea they came up with?

1 Andrea December 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm

THAT is darling. Love the anti-unicorn attitude also…There’s nothing quite like being surrounded by beautiful art supplies for inspiration!

2 jeanne December 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm

So sweet! I love when my children get lost in their own imagination.

3 mom in mendon December 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm

LOVE this!

BTW, it was so fun to talk to Ralph and Maude and Oscar. When Oscar finished, he set down the phone and walked away. After whistling and calling out, etc., we finally just hung up. : ) Have fun on your trip!

4 r8chel December 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I love it! I’m impressed that he made so many and didn’t stop after just a few.

5 se7en December 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Oh Oscar’s horses are so darling!!! Love it!!! Totally reminded me of when one of our more madly creative kids made about a million people to live with us over a period of about two weeks… and live they did for the longest time… forget about pretend friends we had a real live community living alongside us!!!

6 betsy December 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm

oh my. i absolutely *love* this!! please tell oscar (from one artist to another) that i think his superpower horses series is absolutely fabulous!

7 Damaris December 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm

That is really cool. Good job Oscar.

8 Helena December 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

This is so sweet! I hope at least one makes it into a “permanent collection!”

9 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag December 28, 2011 at 5:46 pm

This is FABULOUS! That’s a lot of work for a little guy! Some awesome imagination and cutting skills, as well as the perseverance involved — so impressed!

10 vanessa @ silly eagle books December 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Oh, these are wonderful. :) What a creative little guy—thanks for sharing them. They made me smile.

11 elz December 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

That is adorable. ADORABLE. I love listening to the girls play, and hearing the little one explain her drawings.

12 Kim December 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Cute! I’ve been following your blog for awhile, and I’m curious…Do you have a babysitter for June when you work during the week or do you work “with” her? I recently ventured into a work from home job, and I’m trying to learn balance!

13 Cissy December 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

They create scavenger hunts together. I just found a clue in the baby’s clothing when I changed her diaper tonight.

14 julie Dumas December 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

My children were young in the 80′s and one of our favorite activities, which they helped invent, was finger painting with chocolate pudding! We used big rolls of newsprint and rolled it out on the floor so they could be very expressive. Clean up was pretty simple since they could just lick their fingers.

15 juliagblair December 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I LOVE every horse! And I love Oscar!

16 mau December 29, 2011 at 1:09 am

I love his creativity! He reminds me of my six year old. She’s always drawing and scribbling and cutting paper. She had surprised me the most a couple of years ago, before she even turned 4. She had made a collection of books about different subjects. There was one about colours, one about fruit, one about her friends…they are stored away for her to treasure when she’s older.

17 cupcakes for clara December 29, 2011 at 4:26 am

WOW! They are amazing! Oscar you are amazing!

18 Jennifer December 29, 2011 at 6:27 am

Amazing! I love Oscar’s horses. I also have been wondering since I read the post if you would be willing to share some tips on motivating children to play on their own! My older son would love the horses project, but he (4.5) would not execute it on his own with me working nearby. He would insist that I cut alongside him, or he would probably abandon the project. I would love to hear your ideas for helping children to direct their own play. Thanks! Jennifer

19 Giselle December 29, 2011 at 6:30 am

It’s amazing what kids can come up with just using paper. My 10 year old loves American Girl Dolls and it’s obsessed with doll houses. Since we’ve never bought her any and is an only child, she has spent the whole week creating an AG world using boxes, trinkets around the house, tape, fabric, etc. The dolls now have beds, bathroom, office, living room and kitchen with items in the pantry. I’m in awe of her creativity. She even admitted creating it all herself is much better than just buying it.

20 Outside Looking In December 29, 2011 at 6:47 am

Amazingly creative little guy–LOVE THEM ALL! I hope you keep these forever!

21 Ann December 29, 2011 at 7:17 am

These are so COOL – I love how there is so much going on inside them! Oscar needs his own blog!!! My 6 year old is a prolific creator too — in fact she wanted her own blog so I set her up with a blogger blog – reminds me I have to help her post more things!

22 Heather December 29, 2011 at 7:44 am

Awesome! I love it! These are keepers for sure!

23 The New Diplomats Wife December 29, 2011 at 8:35 am

these are fantastic – make sure you keep at least one! maybe mount in a frame with a cool paper you guys pick together on one of your trips as a background?

24 Christa The BabbyMama December 29, 2011 at 8:45 am

Not yet, but she’s also not even three so we have a bit of time. My brother, on the other hand, after watching the 10 Commandments one year went upstairs and came back down decked in towels, construction paper crowns and cuffs, with a bed knob for a staff and called himself “Rappin’ Ramses”.

25 Sandra Gonzales December 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

Tell Oscar that his horses look SUPER AWESOME!!

26 Mishti December 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

Gabbie, he’s such a little rockstar! And I do agree, big paper does inspires big ideas ALL THE TIME!

27 dana December 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love Oscar and Oscar’s fabulous horses! Especially that he draws pictures on them, and doesn’t merely color them in horse colors. I devised donkeys out of paper plates, cups and string for VBS one summer, and (I’m not sexist, promise) the girls colored the bodies pink, purple and glittery. The boys drew monsters on them! Comic-strip monsters, Godzilla, assorted imaginary monsters. The body was a canvas to them, coincidentally a donkey!
Oscar’s pictures reminded me about how children thrive creatively when we don’t inhibit them, and by encouraging Oscar to make what are essentially horse-shaped pictures, you’re giving him such a gift!
One other thing: It pains me when I hear someone say “I’m not an artist.” Even though they love to draw and paint. When a person takes up, for example, running for fitness, you never hear them say “I’m not (insert famous marathoner here).” And when we love to play the piano, who ever declares that they aren’t Mozart? So why do we need to say we aren’t artists? Kids pick that up, and I’m on a mission to change that. Whew! Guess I had something on my mind!
Love your blog–you inspire me <3

28 Cortnie December 29, 2011 at 10:47 am

Oscar is ready for a solo art show!

29 annie December 29, 2011 at 11:04 am

“Big paper inspires big ideas” –so simple and so true :)

30 Shannon @ A Mom's Year December 29, 2011 at 11:36 am

Oscar did a brilliant job with the horses–I love that he has a story for each one. When my oldest was about Oscar’s age, he was very into the planets and would use big paper (you’re right about its powers) to draw the solar system and explain all the details he knew about the planets and moons and asteroids.

My older daughter loves American Girl dolls and her favorite thing to do is make food for them out of Sculpey clay. I’m amazed at what she comes up with. She’s agreed to be a guest on my blog to explain how she does it.

31 Jane Doe December 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I agree…big paper allows for big ideas and creations!
When my kids were little people, they each had their own roll of newpaper ends! they created their own rolls, sometimes invited eachother to create on theirs and always created their own gift wrap and cards. To this day i get home made wrap and cards and the 3 oldest are in their 3o’s! even from my 21 yr old i get home made cards and gift wrap! of course the most creative of the 3 is an artist, photographer in her own right http://www.katiehusiman.com . I love to hear that parents allow their children to create and be creative allow them to draw their own lines to create in and out of their lines.

32 Jane Doe December 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm

sorry…should be the above….
but if our little ones are creative allow them to create! one never knows where their path will allow them to journey to.

33 Alexandra Villa December 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

awwww what cute horses. beautifull
love, alex
merry christmass

34 elisabeth*itsyfactor December 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm

The apple doesn’t fall far! Luff them.

35 dawne December 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Blown away by Oscar”s creativity, imagination and art skills! I just showed this to my grandson and he said, “I want to play horses in that studio, too”!!!
I know how he feels!
Bonne Année, Gabby, to you and yours!

36 Jadah {Family Sponge} December 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I absolutely love creative play. What a great project to be engaged with. My daughter plays endlessly with paper, scraps, tape. I wonder if I have the space in our apartment to add a big roll of paper into her room and watch her go to town!

37 felicia December 30, 2011 at 7:44 am

I LOVE THIS. Oscar is awesome. <3

38 Melissa Edwards December 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

What a creative little man. I dare say he may be a genius!

39 Andrea Howe January 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is wonderful! How big were those sheets of paper to begin with, and did he do the tracing and cutting himself? Both my kids love to cut and draw, and we have a HUGE roll of kraft paper so a project like this would be perfect for my littles. Thanks for sharing!

40 Lauren January 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

SOOO cute and VERY impressive!! I love kids’ interpretations of different things. Thanks for sharing!

41 Linnea January 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I love the way you documented his art! Way to validate his creativity. :o)

42 Gillian January 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm

What a fabulous kid. Now you have to keep a hundred cut out horses forever.

43 Stephanie January 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

The different cut out shapes of the horses would make an amazing fabric or rug pattern!

44 Shelly February 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I adore Oscar’s horses. I’d love fabric or wallpaper featuring all of them together! Aren’t they grand?!?

45 Lina June 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love Oscar! His creative spirit is so amazingly inspiring. I love the bit about him stopping mid story to document added information!

He reminds me a lot of my daughter; she comes up with the most fascinating ways of entertaining herself. Absolutely precious.