Hee Haw and Merry Christmas!

December 22, 2011

All I want to do between now and Christmas morning is watch holiday movies. (It’s not really an option, but it’s fun to daydream about!) Ben Blair and I were chatting about what movies we’d like to watch, and we realized our kids have never seen It’s a Wonderful Life. Surely, that’s some sort of December crime. We have promised ourselves we’ll watch it this week. I think the older 3 will quite enjoy it.

What’s on your holiday movie must-watch list?

P.S. — A list of our favorite Christmas movies.

1 Lori H December 22, 2011 at 7:27 am

In addition to the usual Christmas movies, we like While You Were Sleeping for its holiday scenes as well as Love Actually. Obviously, these aren’t on the “family viewing” list! :)

2 Lori H December 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

oops, meant to add The Holiday to that list

3 Danielle C December 22, 2011 at 7:33 am

I’ve been in the holiday movie mood too. After watching a lot of the staples, we’be moved on to some we haven’t seen before. My husband and I watched Metropolitan last night, which was strange and funny. Tonight I think we’ll watch Joyeux Noel and next in the queue is Scrooged.

4 Barchbo December 22, 2011 at 8:32 am

Metropolitan is my favorite holiday movie! I have watched it twice already. It’s been a favorite for 20 years – too bad my husband doesn’t think so. So glad you gave it a try!

5 Susan December 22, 2011 at 7:34 am

Oh wow…they have to see it! Such a beautiful message, I watch it every year as a reminder. Joyeux Noel Gabrielle!

6 Aliesha December 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

I just heard on the radio the other day that when It’s a Wonderful Life was released, it wasn’t meant to be a Christmas movie–they wanted to market it as a love story. Can you imagine? To me, it’s pure Christmas…and kind of depressing for a love story. Actually, it’s one of the movies my dad used to always try to force us to watch, so I always resisted it. I finally sat down and watched it a few years ago and of course I loved it.

I’m itching to watch Miracle on 34th St (old or new), Elf, A Christmas Story…the Grinch….some others…

7 Christa The BabbyMama December 22, 2011 at 7:50 am

True story: I am 32 years old and have also never seen It’s a Wonderful Life, mostly because everything I’ve ever read about it makes me think it would depress me :(

Oh, I wanted to say thanks for the amazing DIY gift ideas… we did potato stamps for tote bags (and even copied some of your stamp ideas, like the birds and the skully faces) and some other things and we managed to do almost all homemade gifts this year!

8 Steph December 22, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Christa, it won’t depress you — it’s a bit upsetting in the middle but the end more than makes up for it. You’ll love it.

9 Linda December 22, 2011 at 7:53 am

I’m really hoping to get a chance to watch Little Women. Merry Christmas!

10 miggy December 22, 2011 at 8:17 am

When my husband and I were dating I wanted to watch It’s a Wonderful Life (it was Christmastime of course) and since he couldn’t find it anywhere to rent he bought it for me. We have now watched it every year–7–and counting. Hands down my favorite Christmas movie.

11 Barchbo December 22, 2011 at 8:36 am

I have a date with my mother-in-law to watch White Christmas, which I love. (Metropolitan is *my* holiday movie, but I think she would be bewildered.) My husband and I have *our* holiday movie which is Love Actually. I am searching for a movie to be a tradition with our 1 year old. When he’s old enough for movies.

I also love While You Were Sleeping, Sleepless in Seattle, and The Holiday.
Apparently, I think romantic comedies are the true meaning of Christmas.

12 Chelle December 22, 2011 at 8:50 am

Miracle on 34th St. (the original version) is pure Christmas to me – It’s a Wonderful Life is just too depressing for me. Metropolitan is another favorite, along with Holiday (Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn), The Nightmare Before Christmas, Elf, and Eloise at Christmas. How’s that for an eclectic mix.

Of course, I can’t help watching the dumb Lifetime and Hallmark romances…

13 Allison December 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

By the time they get to “I bust-a the jukebox!,” I’m just a crying mess. Harry’s toast is just the capper. It’s a wonderful film.

Lori H, Love Actually and While You Were Sleeping are my top 2 as well! I love how the family talks to each other in WYWS, just like my family does.

“Caesar Romero wasn’t Spanish.”
“I didn’t say Caesar Romero was Spanish.”
“What did you say?”
“I said Caesar Romero was tall.”
“We all know he’s tall!”
“That’s all I said! I said Caesar Romero was tall!”
“These mashed potatoes are so creamy. Mary mashed ‘em.”

That right there is my family at dinner.

14 Tan December 22, 2011 at 9:53 am

Thank you for the reminder! I must watch that movie before Christmas!
A tradition of mine is to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas both at Halloween and Christmas. I just love the art and music in that movie enough to watch it less than two months apart!

15 michelle December 22, 2011 at 10:05 am

We usually watch It’s A Wonderful Life as well, a fun holiday tradition that helps remind us what’s really important.

16 Kristen E December 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

The Bishop’s Wife! It’s my very favorite. :)

17 the emily December 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

When my husband and I were still dating and having our first Christmas as a couple, he was in California and I was in New Mexico so we spent a lot of time on the phone. One night It’s a Wonderful Life was on and neither of us had ever seen it, so we watched it together…over the PHONE. With commercials and everything it was like 4 hours long! We must have really been in love. And now we both LOVE that movie. I gave it to him for his birthday last week so now we can watch it commercial-free, and together. It’s our favorite Christmas movie, with Christmas Vacation a close second. I also love to watch Little Women at Christmastime.

18 Amelie December 22, 2011 at 11:06 am

The two that I MUST watch each Christmas are The Sound of Music and Love, Actually. Wait, how many more days do I have to fit those in?

19 dawne December 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

I love ALL of the above movies, always cry in “Love Actually”, and even watch cheesy made-for-TV Christmas movies, but the one that really does it for us is “Joyeux Noel”. I think it’s French, or English, but available on Netflix. Do you have Netflix yet in France, Gabrielle?

20 Sharlene December 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

So many really good Christmas movies–impossible to watch them all, but one I keep coming back to came out a long, long time ago. “One Magic Christmas,” starring Mary Steenburgen. I think Gary Basaraba was also in it. It’s a Walt Disney Production and well worth watching. Hmmmm. Think I’ll watch it tonight. :)

PS ~ One year my husband and I took a group of friends downtown to a really old, huge, beautiful theater and watched “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Perfect! Before the movie, an organ came up out of the stage and we were treated to a short Christmas recital before the movie played.

21 Jennifer Woodbury December 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm

For the whole family: Elf, Home Alone, Polar Express, and Sound of Music
For the grown ups: Love Actually and The Holiday

22 Tina I December 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Home Alone, White Christmas, The Santa Clause, Elf, and Miracle on 34th.

23 Sarah December 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Muppet Christmas Carol!!! “The Leprechaun’s Christmas Gold” and “White Christmas.”

24 Kimberly December 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Miracle on 34th (original only), a Christmas Carol (muppets, Disney or Alistsair Sim), Wonderful Life. Why have I never seen Metropolitan or Holiday? I can’t believe it!

25 DeAnn December 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

For me – The Family Stone, watch it every year. Christmas Vacation, The Christmas Story, Christmas in Connecticut, A Christmas Story, Elf, The Holiday. But the Family Stone is my favorite wrapped up in a down blanket and all by myself.

26 Ann December 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I like The Family Stone too! & Christmas Vacation & Elf good for some laughs!

27 Anja December 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

In Germany this Czech cinderella version is mandatory! I love it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%99i_o%C5%99%C3%AD%C5%A1ky_pro_Popelku
Reading fairytales or watching them on stage or at TV is a christmas tradition for families.

28 Ann December 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This is a little embarrassing to admit but I really like You’ve Got Mail! It takes place over Thanksgiving and Christmas and it has a nice relaxed pace perfect for having on while you are wrapping gifts, etc.

29 Becky Williams December 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

We recently watched it with our three oldest (9, 9, and 6 year-olds) and they complained when they saw it was in black and white, but right away, when they saw the opening scene of the boys sledding down that hill, they were caught and enjoyed it. It’s a Wonderful Life is my favorite Christmas movie ever and I consistently cry when I see it, year after year. Pathetic, I know.

30 Wendy D December 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

The Bishop’s Wife with Cary Grant is one of my favorites. It takes place at Christmas and Cary Grant plays an angel in the movie. It’s a really cute movie.

31 Kaet99 December 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm

White Christmas, please! Can’t get enough of Bing, Rosemary, and Danny. I laugh, I sing, I dance–and I wish for snow to come. That’s what Christmas should be.

32 Betsy December 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm

The Christmas Carol with George C. Scott. I love this version.

33 Claire December 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I’ve never seen A Wonderful Life either but it sounds like maybe I should! I love the Home Alone movies, Miracle on 34th street & Love Actually :)

I’ve been like you wanting to be able to sit and enjoy some movies but there’s never really any time!!

34 Julia December 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm

These are the movies we watch every year (almost):
White Christmas
Holiday Inn
Miracle on 34th Street
Elf
Family Man
Santa Clause 1 & 2 (w/ Tim Allen)
My husband likes Polar Express, but I prefer the book
Home Alone

35 Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon December 23, 2011 at 5:54 am

My favorite is Jim Henson’s Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas:

It is a nice kids version of The Gift of the Magi. Being done by Jim Henson, of course it is amazing. The songs are great and there is a cameo by Kermit. I’ve loved it since I was child!

I posted a clip from It’s a Wonderful Life on my blog today too. :-)
*I am going to watch the classic tonight!

36 greyson December 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

1. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
2. Christmas Story
3. Love Actually
4. The Holiday
5. Polar Express
6. Elf
These are in no particular order. Just the must watch movies of the season!

37 ann December 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Gabrielle,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Your blog is such a delight and a “blessing” if I might say that…I am not religious…but I can’t figure out any other term that fits.

Thank you again for the good vibes you send out over the internet.

Really, a model for so many others – for other bloggers and readers as we go through our daily lives.

Thanks for the time and effort that goes into your site and business.

Best thoughts going out to your family for 2012.

38 Amy December 24, 2011 at 4:46 am

Let’s just say we’re doing it for a pal in the army.

(White Christmas. Oh, how I love that movie!)