A Few Things

December 9, 2011

Hello Friends! Have you had a good week? Anything fun scheduled this weekend? We are planning an ambitious Saturday of Christmas tree buying and a grocery shopping. Not too exciting, but somehow I’m so excited about it anyway. Hah! I think I’m just in the holiday mood. : )

While I make a grocery list, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:
- DIY stocking stuffers.
- Excellent calendar roundup.
- Can I buy molasses in France? Because I want to make these.
- 5 Ways to fancy up basic glass ornaments.
- I’m a judge for the Cribsie Awards. You can nominate a favorite new product!
- Paper gift bag tutorial.
- Make a “facebook sweater” and they donate a real sweater to someone in need.
- Festive jars.

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- 20 (free!) printable holiday gift tags.
- Wow. A $30 credit to Paper Coterie for every reader! (Tell your friends!)
- Say yes to this French necklace. Such a great price.
- Remember the Shailie Fashion toy? Here’s 25% off!
- Win a Pottery Barn Kids Foosball Table for Christmas! Easy to enter, I promise.
- The sweetest new book! It’s like Goodnight Moon for Christmas-time.

Have a wonderful wintery weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

P.S. — I still grin every time I see our mantel decked out with fresh holly. So festive!

1 Ren Lady Of The Arts December 9, 2011 at 8:00 am

Those festive topped jars are cute- the FB idea sounds great- the link is not working for me?

2 Design Mom December 9, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks for letting me know, Ren. The link should work now. : )

3 Petra Palmer December 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh the holly is gorgeous! What a perfect mantle for your French Christmas, I love the different yet complementary stockings too – just like the family members :) Have fun with your tree shopping, we just got ours and began decorating last night.

4 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:09 am

Decorating the tree is the best!

5 anna December 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

In france, we call molasses mélasse, you can buy it in organic food store like Biocoop or Naturalia

6 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 8:21 am

So helpful, Anna! Thank you.

7 Jen December 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

Hi Gabrielle,

I want to thank you for posting the coupon for Shailie! I was just looking at the starter kit this morning for my daughters for Christmas. I was hoping to find a current coupon and am SO happy to find yours! Such a help!

BTW, LOVE your mantel!! Nothing prettier than fresh holly! I always love visiting your blog…

8 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yay, Jen! So glad you saw the coupon. Shailie is seriously such a fun toy. My kids love it.

9 Lori December 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

Your mantel is fantastic! Very lovely and festive. I really like the mini winter scene glass ornaments hanging from the bare branches.

10 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 8:22 am

Thank you, Lori! I just added a holly wreath over the weekend. It was much more challenging to make than I expected, but it looks great. : )

11 Tan December 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love your stockings on the mantel! So festive. The cable knit stocking is my favourite. I wanted to get one but my fiance isn’t a cable knit fan unfortunately!

12 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 8:23 am

Not a cable knit fan? I’m sure you’ll come up with an excellent alternative.

13 Tasha December 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I’m getting into the spirit as well – I can say your site has given me great ideas from Etsy shopping to a mini vidcam for hubbie! It’s our anniversary tomorrow and we’re going to roam NYC and visit some museums, the tree, etc! We’ve been together 28 years – since we’re 16 fyi:) I’m excited. You have fun, too!

14 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 8:24 am

Happy Anniversary, Tasha! I hope your weekend was amazing. Yay for 28 years!!

15 Gandhali December 10, 2011 at 1:56 am

I went from waist-length to just-below-the-shoulder hair this weekend. Also bought my graduation dress (boo yeah, Bachelor of Design!)! So, yes, a fun weekend! :-)

16 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love when I get a big haircut! I bet you look great, Gandhali. I hope your graduation ceremony is amazing.

17 Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! December 10, 2011 at 2:18 am

Lovely, festive photos! Have a great weekend!

18 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:02 am

Thanks, Hannah!

19 Rebecca Grace December 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

I, too, love your stockings! Your mantel has a wonderful vintage flair. Where did you source the stockings? Have you had them forever, or did you find them at some amazing little French store Over There?

20 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hi Rebecca! I love the stockings too! I’ve been collecting them for several years, and they’re one of the few Christmas things we packed with us for our time here in France. Several are from Garnet Hill, one is from Target, one from Crate & Barrel. I bought two on Etsy and a vintage one on eBay.

21 Morgan (The818) December 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm

That Holly makes me want to rush out and get some of my own. Happy Holidays!

22 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:06 am

Happy Holidays to you too, Morgan!

23 Mom in Mendon December 11, 2011 at 3:00 am

The holly is better than I imagined, so green and so red. The shiny leaves against the mat mantle add one more dimension. And the stockings say, “Merry Blair Christmas!” Love and miss you all.

24 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:06 am

Thanks, Mom!

25 Bonnie December 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Your mantle is lovely with the fresh holly and the stockings! Thanks so much for the coupon code for Paper Coterie. I was able to make a really nice gift for a hard to buy for family member!

26 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

That’s wonderful, Bonnie! So glad I could help.

27 Sarah December 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hi Gabrielle
I just saw you and your family on HGTVs House Hunters – I had never seen your episode before!
I just wanted to say how much it warmed my heart to finally see you and your family in action! I had the biggest smile on my face the entire show. After reading your blog for so long, it felt like watching a friend on TV.
Thanks for sharing your life with us all!
Cheers to you and yours for a wonderful holiday season!
Hugs from chilly Michigan!

28 Design Mom December 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

How fun, Sarah! We had such a great time filming the episode. Thanks for the kind comment!

29 trish December 13, 2011 at 5:53 am

try a health food store for molasses or you can substitute treacle if they have that.. happy baking. :-)

30 Fiona December 21, 2011 at 9:59 am

Wow, I took up the paper coterie offer, and now not only do I have a beautiful calendar for 2012, I only had to pay the shipping, and it has arrived before Christmas! What a threat. Makse up for not winning any of the giveaways.