A Czech Merry-Go-Round

December 14, 2011

Daredevils with pink balloons. I love it!

So much planning must have gone into this stunt, from the fantastic concept itself to the necessary equipment, as well as determining the most opportune timing during which not to get caught! I doubt I would have made it much past the brainstorming stage due to the million safety concerns inherent in transforming a spinning billboard in the sky into a merry-go-round, but I’m so glad these friends did. The fact that they thought to bring along the pink balloons only makes me smile bigger.

P.S. Acrophobia, or a fear of heights, is always on the list of most popular phobias. Do you have any fears? Here are a few Christmas-related phobias; I hope none of you suffer from Cyssanophobia!

As seen on Colossal.

1 Sarah December 14, 2011 at 7:21 am

Awesome! I wonder how long they stayed on. It looks like they’re not too afraid of being caught, since they put their names in the credits.

On an unrelated note, I saw monogrammed white mugs that look supspiciously similar to yours in a West Elm catalog that arrived yesterday. The highest form of flattery?

2 Design Mom December 14, 2011 at 7:35 am

That’s so cool! I’ll go check out West Elm online and see if I can find them…

3 The New Diplomats Wife December 14, 2011 at 7:43 am

very cool. eastern europe can be good for getting away with stunts like these!

4 Nicole K December 14, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love that one of the guy’s last names is Frolich! (=merry)

5 sarah December 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

wow—how fun. i’m sure my husband would be up for that in a heart beat.

6 Chelan December 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

Looks like fun! Maybe not for someone who has a phobia of heights though :-)
Since you asked: I have what I think is “Ligyrophobia”- a terrible fear of loud/sudden noises. I’ve had it since I was a baby but over time I have learned to try to “be an adult” about it. I used to have complete melt-downs at birthday parties where there were balloons and as you can guess the 4th of July is my least favorite holiday–but not because I’m not patriotic! It’s a big pain and I’d rather be scared of heights any day!!

7 Martina December 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Love it! Not just a crazy stunt put to film but a fun and nostalgic one. Reminds me of the swing ride at the amusement parks I went to as a child!

8 Nancy December 15, 2011 at 4:36 am

So, I’m curious…How did they get down?

Did they just repel the rest of the way down? If they did, how did they get their ropes down–what knot did they use on it at the top to hold their weight and then loosen and come down?

Did they go back up so they could untie their gear? Was there another person there to belay them up?

The logistics fascinate me. Especially the ones we don’t see.