Macro Kingdom

November 29, 2011

Oh man. I could watch this sort of footage all day long. I love the idea of worlds within worlds. Makes me happy just typing that. What’s your favorite sort of exploration? Great big outer space? Deep dark under the sea? Life in a drop of pond water? Or all of the above?

Spotted on Notcot.

P.S. — Have you already started wrapping gifts?

1 teresita November 29, 2011 at 6:05 am

Those thing amaze me too, every day. I tend to stare at the most simple things, even walking down the street. And I try to teach my kids to have that too. I find physics truly incredible (maybe because I couldn’t ever understand those formulas), there are people studying how everything works, and they can find new things all the time about the already existing (!)… visit this youtube channel with you kids, it’s so cool! http://www.youtube.com/user/1veritasium

2 Anne November 29, 2011 at 8:25 am

I also find physics incredible. Nice to meet a fellow fan! ;-) Thanks for the link.

3 k a t y November 29, 2011 at 7:51 am

I think that’s why I like Georgia O’Keefe’s paintings, seeing the beautiful in the minutia. Also why I love my macro lens, to get “too” close to things so you can’t tell what they are as a whole, but enjoy the beauty of the tiny details.

4 Design Mom November 30, 2011 at 4:53 am

I need to try a macro lens!

5 barchbo November 29, 2011 at 8:26 am

My favorite exploration? The human mind! Endlessly fascinating and unable to be fully plumbed.

I have already wrapped some gifts, only because we had Cousin Christmas at Thanksgiving. I am a terrible wrapper, so I shop early for the best gift bags. :)

6 Design Mom November 30, 2011 at 4:55 am

So true! I’m always amazed when I realize how much and how little we know about the brain.

7 the emily November 29, 2011 at 8:39 am

My kids love this kind of stuff, I can’t wait to show them! I like watching regular old planet earth, animals and the earth are amazing.

8 Alissa November 29, 2011 at 11:00 am

So fascinating. I love anything that introduces me to new ideas. Or throws old ones into new perspective.

9 everton terrace November 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm

To do myself I like to explore the woods and mountains but to watch – all of it!

10 CMN November 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Wrapping gifts? Um, yes. I have a large family and if one doesn’t start early… well, let’s just say that last year I was so buried with work that there was no wrapping. Until after breakfast on Christmas morning. And where is the fun in that? None.

So, yes. I started wrapping when we had our first snowfall of the season. It was a perfect and cheerful day!

11 Design Mom November 30, 2011 at 4:55 am

So glad you got a head start!

12 Vicki November 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Wow – thank you for sharing.
My husband is an astronomer, so we look out at big things. But there is something more magical (to me) about the minute. Like you said, worlds within worlds. It makes me feel like anything is possible.

13 Design Mom November 30, 2011 at 4:55 am

“It makes me feel like anything is possible.”