Book of the Week: Wizard of Oz Scanimation

November 1, 2011

One last witchy thing before you haul your jack o’lanterns off the porch: The Wicked Witch of the West!

Have you ever checked out scanimation books? (I first wrote about them here.) I don’t understand how they work — there are no batteries or microchips and they are completely low-tech — but it really looks like the images are moving across the page. I swear! They are hard to resist for kids or grownups and fun to keep on the coffee table.

The latest one is all about the Wizard of Oz. A great gift to keep in mind for any Dorothy fans.

1 angie November 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

I need to get my hands on one of these! Especially since I’m from Kansas and have a fond place in my heart for “The Wizard of Oz” :) Which reminds me, I really need to see “Wicked” while I’m living in NYC!

2 Lilly November 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm

My husband, who is a scientist and very good at figuring out how things work, tried to explain how these books work to me once. Something about how the drawings are in a series of lines, and it’s like a flip book except the vertical black lines cover up the other lines, and when you move the page it moves the picture back and forth, something something…. I’m sure that was really helpful. :)

3 sharyn November 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I saw these in Costco last week. I should probably be embarrassed at how long I spent flipping pages back and forth….

4 cheryl burchett November 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

My daughter was Dorothy last year for Halloween (she was 2 and had never seen the movie). In early October this year, we watched (most of) The Wizard of Oz with her, and then the next day I saw this book. I always associate the Wizard of Oz with Halloween because one of the 3 TV stations we got showed it EVERY year in October. I was SO excited to share my memories with her and she LOVES the book. She associates the characters with the family members who dressed up as those characters last year for Halloween. So much fun! Pictures of our family as the Wizard of Oz can be found at http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloween-sewing-finished-photos-to.html.

5 cheryl burchett November 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

This year we dressed up as characters from Cinderella. Fingers crossed that the Scanimation folks might make a Cinderella book too!

6 Alison November 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I take the stance that if I don’t understand how things work it must be magic. Like the time we had free cable…it was “magic cable” until I found out the line had been illegally hooked up. bitter disappointment.

I can’t wait to see my 1-year-olds reaction to these magic books! Love them! xo

7 Stacey H November 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

I also saw this at Costco and texted a pic to the hubz for my Christmas wish list. I was Dorothy in a high school play and have never gotten over my love for that musical! :)

8 Amanda November 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I think I’ll get this for a friend! Thanks for posting it!

9 Rachel November 6, 2011 at 7:59 am

My oldest has been in love with The Wizard of Oz since she was two. (Was never even scared of the witch!) My mom just bought this book for her for her seventh birthday, and she LOVES it. I think it’s going to be something she always treasures. I was just in her class reading as a guest reader on Friday. I brought in, “Lights out, Night’s out;” another scanimation book, and it was a huge hit. They are amazing little creations. Have you seen the Star Wars one?

10 lindsay November 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m 32 yrs old and still a massive fan of wizard of oz I even called my daughter ruby :). My friend just the wizard of oz scanimation book in a charity shop and couldn’t resist buying it for me I’m so excited bout it iv never seen a book like it. It has become one of my treasures.