A Few Things: Saturday Edition

November 5, 2011

Today was errand day. I think we went to 1000 stores. And friends, I loved it! Because the Christmas season has arrived in France. All the shops had holiday displays, wrapping paper and gift ideas. The city streets had lights strung between the stores. And the whole thing had me feeling super festive. How about you? Are you ready to embrace the holidays this year? Or do you need a breather between Halloween and the next big event?

While I’m pondering how to decorate the tree this year (we didn’t pack any ornaments), here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- Yes! 6 brilliant ideas for displaying photos.
- 288,000 jelly beans. thanks, Gabi!
- A wardrobe for minimalists.
- Burgin’s vintage book picks are always spot on.
- For All The Girls. So sweet — it was written by a 13-year-old boy.
- Love this topic: Why owning stuff doesn’t matter.
- Amazing photos (like the one at top) in the LIFE magazine image archive. Spotted on Old Sweet Song.

I also write for for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Say hello to this new hipster glasses source. Every pair $99.
- Grammy nominated kids album for FREE.
- So cute for a bedroom — and on sale!
- 100% French clothing.
- Wouldn’t these be perfect on Christmas morning?

I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend. With my lack-of-internet-connection craziness I’ve been missing you! I’m excited to meet you back here on Monday.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Jacqueline November 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Thanks Gabrielle. Loved the connections to all the sites. Got some great ideas from the clipboard frames to the LIFE magazine archive. Funny where inspiration can emanate from. Have a great weekend yourself.

2 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:20 am

The LIFE archive seems like such a treasure! I love discovering photo archives.

3 rachel schindler November 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I can’t believe how excited I am this year about Christmas. Most years, all though I love the season, I am always dreading my list that never gets done, cash is in short supply this year, so very little shopping will be done, but I love all the trees and decorations in the stores all ready. Ho Ho Ho…

4 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:20 am

I’m excited too, Rachel. Ho Ho Ho is right!

5 Sandy November 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm

That Kina Grannis video is amazing! I’ve watched it twice and the making-of once.

6 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:21 am

Making of video? I need to check it out.

7 The BabbyMama November 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm

LOVE the video, oh my gosh :) Made me smile!

I definitely need a breather between now and Christmas but I’m not going to get it because we’re homemaking gifts this year for money reasons. And I’m the head maker in the house, eek.

8 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:22 am

We like making gifts at our house too. In fact, this week, I’ve promised myself I’ll hunt down ideas. Should be fun!

9 Sharlene November 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I enjoyed browsing these links. The Kina Grannis video was my favorite! Thanks for a fun browse.

I just put away the Halloween decorations today and put up the Thanksgiving decorations. I can’t really think about the Christmas decorations until I’ve served the turkey. :) However, I will confess, that I went to three Christmas Open Houses this week.

10 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:23 am

I know what you mean about the Christmas decorations. Our come out after Thanksgiving as well. Though this year may be different. There’s no Thanksgiving in France — we’re still deciding how we should celebrate.

11 Kristi November 5, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Please post some pics of pretty Christmas decor in the French shops for those of us stuck stateside.

12 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:23 am

That’s a great idea, Kristi. I’ll have to bring my camera next time I head to run errands.

13 Nikki b November 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm

One of my favorite trees from the past was the year I got a sheet of foam core, cut out irregular stars and coated them with loads of silver and white glitter. They were light enough to move a bit as air hit them and a big cluster at the top was a dramatic topper. Good project for kids and cheap too!

14 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:24 am

Glitter makes everything gorgeous!

15 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} November 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

you had me at “Christmas in France”

16 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:25 am

: )

We feel super lucky to be here.

17 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful November 5, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I am going to cook Turducken (a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey) for Thanksgiving while wearing those slippers. I want the ones with the mustache which will mirror my own. xo

18 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:26 am

Hah! Enjoy the legendary Turducken. I hear it bestows extraordinary powers.

19 becky up a hill November 6, 2011 at 6:27 am

I never complain about the stores getting their Christmas things out. I love Christmas and I’ve already gotten out a few small vintage bottle brush trees. I’m stalking the thrifts for vintage Christmas! JoY to the World! Thanks for the links!!

20 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:26 am

“I’m stalking the thrifts for vintage Christmas!”

Oooh. That’s sounds like fun! Wish I could join you.

21 Amanda November 6, 2011 at 6:52 am

That clipboard display idea is fantastic! Great for an office, I think.

22 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:27 am

So true! It would be perfect in an office.

23 All Unwound November 6, 2011 at 10:40 am

I want to focus on Thanksgiving before moving on to Christmas. It’s hard because there are very few decorations for Thanksgiving.

I’ve taken down my big spiders and left up my pumpkins. And I’ve set out a wooden turkey. I’ll probably try to find another turkey item.

Thanks for your links!

24 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:27 am

I just posted about corn garland today. Maybe that would be cute to add to your decorations!

25 All Unwound November 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

I saw that today! I was thinking it would look nice strung on our chandelier. I don’t think it would store well till next year though. The heat and bugs here are intense.

26 Kelly November 6, 2011 at 11:32 am

It cheers me greatly to know that it’s already the Christmas season in France, too. I resist the tug to get into the mood, thinking it’s merely our retail-driven U.S. culture. But hey, maybe I should just go with it! (No decorations in my house until Dec. 1st, though.)

27 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:29 am

I think for me, my desire for Christmas is affected by the weather. The colder it is, the more I want Christmas music and decorations. : )

28 Patricia November 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Loved the picture frame ideas, truly inspiring. Yes, I’m so excited for the upcoming holidays, especially Christmas as a new mom!

29 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:29 am

Christmas as a new mom is the best! I’m sure you’re already hunting for something sweet and cozy to put your baby in for the holidays.

30 Genevieve November 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

LOVE the jelly bean video!

Check out the blog on the minimalist tees website. It has a really interesting quote from Jack White of the White Stripes.

Still mulling over the message on why owning stuff doesn’t matter…

Oh, and I am ready to embrace the holidays!

Great links…thanks!

31 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:30 am

That Jack White quote is great! So glad you pointed it out. Thank you.

32 Patti November 6, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Yes, Christmas shopping is starting earlier and earlier in France…I can remember a time here when you couldn’t buy decorations, wrapping paper or greeting cards until a week into December. Back in those days it was less Commerce and more Crèche!

33 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 3:31 am

I’m excited to visit Paris this year. I hear it’s especially gorgeous all lit up for Christmas.

34 LH November 7, 2011 at 7:00 am

Wooden ornaments from Germany are the best. We stocked up on them when we lived in France for a year! Plus the German Christmas markets are just so fun and festive in general!

35 DQB November 7, 2011 at 7:59 am

I love the idea of decorating a Christmas tree without the usual ornaments. It will be so much more special when you revisit your favorite ornaments later. My husband and I have talked about moving abroad and how we would “do Christmas”. Our idea for out of the States ornaments is to create origami animals and hang or perch them all over the tree.

36 Bri (like the cheese) November 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

Last Christmas, I was out of work and we were getting ready to relocate for a new job, so we didn’t want to go ‘all out’ on the decor. But at the same time, it was my daughter’s first “consious Christmas” – she was three – and the first we spent at our own house instead of visiting family. We decided to put up the tree and stockings, but decorated the tree with paper cut-out snowflakes instead of unpacking all the ornaments. It had a definite rustic/homemade/minimalist feel to it and I loved it.