French Tumblers

November 7, 2011

Confession: we have broken a few glasses since we moved in. (Confession #2: few = more than a few.) The Duralex tumblers have fared the worst, because we use them the most. They are just the right size for little hands, so the kids always reach for them. And I gravitate to them because they’re so classic and French — they just seem like exactly the right sort of glasses for La Cressonnière. Happily, they’re reasonably priced, so I ordered a dozen to fill in the blanks.

Since Duralex is sold in the States too, I’m thinking I might have to pick some up when we move home. Wouldn’t they make a sweet little daily reminder of our time here?

P.S. — What is it about French glass? I just realized my favorite glass baby bottles are made in France too. And speaking of baby, guess who is growing up? Baby June is 18 months today!

1 Zoe - SlowMama November 7, 2011 at 7:45 am

Love tumblers. We use some slightly taller ones than these and find them very versatile. I found ours at IKEA. When they break, they’re so affordable to replace!

2 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

Yes, taller ones are versatile too! Perfect for the dinner table.

3 Helen November 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

Those exact glasses are available at Crate&Barrel. Love them!

4 Keia November 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

Agreed.

5 elaine November 7, 2011 at 11:24 am

i worked at crate and barrel for several years and have a BUNCH of their similar glasses (they are made by libby). my kids drop them all the time and the glasses only break occasionally.

6 The BabbyMama November 7, 2011 at 8:22 am

For wee hands, we like the tiny size mason jars – and we have plenty, since the cheap pesto we like happens to come in those jars! One breaks, time for more pesto! I like them because they remind me of my favorite rustic chic type weddings. We keep a few big kid mason jar drinking glasses around for the same reason :)

7 Lynda November 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

The tumblers are the perfect size but Baby June’s blonde curls and chubby cheeks are just too sweet. The picture is precious.

8 All Unwound November 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

Those tumblers remind me of the ones my grandparents used. Theirs were a bit taller. I guess they are just classic!

9 katik November 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

We love duralex and thoroughly enjoy our tumblers. I was shocked and pleased to find that our local Costco had a set of 18 for $28! I snapped up a few sets for gifts and for replacements for us.

Baby June seems like such a sweet child. 18 mos is a milestone!

10 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I cannot believe she’s 18 months already. How is that possible? : )

11 Keia November 7, 2011 at 10:07 am

Happy Birthday Ms. June! :-).

12 Damaris November 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love glass tumblers but I like metal ones better, specially with kids. That’s one of the things I love about Brazil all the classic metal cups. I should send you some :)

13 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Email me a photo, Damaris. I’d love to see!

14 Deepa November 7, 2011 at 10:59 am

We get these in Holland too. I use the taller ones at home and love them too.

15 Ayme November 7, 2011 at 11:01 am

Absolutely. We love drinking out of special glasses. They do break (kids!), but there’s always more cool ones to find :)

16 Alana November 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

You are a brave soul…I don’t even like my kids drinking from open cups…let alone glasses!

17 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Sweet June desperately wants to do whatever her big brothers and sisters get to do — that includes drinking out of the same sorts of cups. : )

18 kelleyn November 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

She is adorable! Curls and button nose!

19 leslie w. November 7, 2011 at 11:59 am

I thought that duralex glass was supposed to be pretty unbreakable. Is that not your experience? I’ve been thinking of investing in some duralex dishes, bowls and glasses, but this makes me have second thoughts. would you still recommend them?

20 Design Mom November 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Good question, Leslie. I’ve actually been very impressed with the Duralex. We are hard on glasses, and the kitchen has a 400 year old stone floor that’s hard on glasses too. I sort expected all the frequently used tumblers to break right away, but the Duralex have held up well. We’re a family of 8 and have been here 9 months are just now buying a few replacements.

21 Robin Troxell November 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm

never mind the glasses, I just want to (gently) squeeze her cheeks and twirl my fingers in her hair!

22 isa. November 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I love these tumblers!! My Costco currently has them (Duralex brand) 18 for 24.99. There are 6 of three different sizes. Very worth it. Love your blog too :)

23 sara November 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’ve got to say, the glasses are nice but Baby June is stealing my heart :) These pics of her are adorable :)

24 Sara November 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Baby June is so precious!!! Happy 18 months! I always felt like that was such a big milestone. It seemed like that was really the time they went from being babies to real toddlers. Such a fun age!!

25 Design Mom November 8, 2011 at 4:26 am

She is totally a toddler these days, but I’m in denial. : )

26 sarah November 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm

ah we just passed the 18 months in september. now we are “almost” two as i like to say. baby boy isn’t baby any more…i mean, he knows all his letters and he can say touchdown and hike a “bootball.”

27 Tara November 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Love these! And I was just thinking I need to replace our old glasses. Can I ask what size you find to be most useful? (I was thinking of getting a set of six smaller ones for our 21 month old to use plus a set of six larger ones for the adults for water glasses at dinner.)

28 Design Mom November 8, 2011 at 4:29 am

That sounds perfect, Tara. The taller ones are great for water and the small ones are the right portion for toddlers.

29 Laura November 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Hooray for June! I’ll bet you’re looking forward to nursery on Sunday! :)

30 Design Mom November 8, 2011 at 4:28 am

Hah! There are only 15 people in our little branch and June is the only baby. No nursery for us — June will just hang out with me or Ben Blair as usual. : )

31 Jen Byard November 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm

She’s getting so big! Love those blond curls :) These glasses are the perfect size…

32 kimberly November 8, 2011 at 2:33 am

either those glasses are small or june has gotten so big!

33 Design Mom November 8, 2011 at 4:28 am

I think both!

34 Nicole November 8, 2011 at 7:18 am

We have the same glasses and I love them too! Our supply has dwindled as our daughter now has “adult” hands. However, what is left is “mine” and off limits to others. :)

35 véronique November 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

Your baby girl is so adorable..
I’m a huge fan of Duralex glasses as well (when I was a kid, in France, we used to read the number at the bottom of the glass and say that it was our age ;))
But for our 4 kids we have adopted a safer version. Same size and shape but made of what we call “melamine” . They are made by a danish brand, called RICE (http://www.petitzebre.com/categorie/a-table/verres-et-gobelets/grand-gobelet-colore-en-melamine-corale) and they don’t break !

36 Kalani November 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

My mom-in-law just gave us a set of the Duralex- same small. They are for the kids cabinet too! The Duralex are sold through Sur la Table here in the U.S.
Happy 18 months baby June!

37 jan November 9, 2011 at 12:36 am

i love those ones (like that) with the lid. are they duralex, i’m not sure? June is super cute! Happy 18 months baby June!

38 Design Mom November 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I bet know just the ones you’re thinking of Jan and I love them too! In fact, I blogged about them here: http://www.designmom.com/2007/11/fishs-eddy/

39 mom in mendon November 9, 2011 at 7:32 am

Angelic Junie B. could sell any product. How beautiful she is.
(We have similar glasses here.)

40 Susan C. January 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Those tumblers are beautiful! Do you recall what size your daughter is holding? I see they offer a few sizes.