Yum Yum Covers

October 7, 2011

Isn’t it true that mostly everything looks a little more valuable when it’s placed under glass? Collections seem extra special, and the ordinary becomes extraordinary. These Yum Yum Covers, designed by Hiromi Taki and Tomonori Ohata and hand-blown by Sayaka Kanazu, do exactly that, elevating simple snacks to pieces of art.

Pretty decadent, don’t you think? I’d like one — or a set of eight for all of us! — specifically for the cream puffs from our local boulangerie; they are treasures and deserve to be treated as such!

Do you crave frivolous kitchen accessories and gadgets? What’s your weakness and on your wishlist?

Thanks to Jeannie for the introduction!

1 fanfamfun October 7, 2011 at 3:55 am

i am a sucker for tea sets and china, old english, old german and even modern sets- i love it all. we never never never use it. it just sits on shelves on display in our kitchen. it feels a bit old fashioned to collect china and display it. but i think it looks pretty graphic and cool when everything is lined up and orderly on shelves, the repeat pattern makes such a statement. x

2 Emily October 7, 2011 at 4:30 am

Ooh good find! Very glamorous! They’d be gorgeous in a cafe – and fairly practical for showing off pretty food too!

3 Juan October 7, 2011 at 7:35 am

And that way, if the food doesn’t taste 100% one would be more likely to overlook it :)

4 Giulia October 7, 2011 at 7:07 am

These are lovely. Wouldn’t they look great at a small wedding reception and favor/place cards? It would give a nice sparkle…
You could also use it for a great amuse bouche.

5 Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes October 7, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’m craving a Le Creuset pot. A real big nice red casserole. Since the main colors in my kitchen are white, blue and black I’dd keep it on display all the time to add a little pizzaz to the whole kitchen (and to draw attention away from the general mess which inhabits it).
Le Creuset also makes mini-casseroles for serving appetizers or individual portions of risotto or vegetables. I’m craving those too…

6 Juan October 7, 2011 at 7:34 am

Ohh my goodness, I love that first one. The truth is that it really does accent the form of the sweet inside of it. These would be very interesting additions to a more formal setting.

7 Kirsten October 7, 2011 at 8:16 am

Love these! I’m always lusting and accumulating tea cups/pots and drinks glasses!

8 Janan W October 7, 2011 at 8:21 am

I HEART frivolous kitchen accessories. My friends often tease me cause I have every little gadget and doo-dah. I can see my homemade cream puffs under the yum-yum covers right now!

9 Damaris October 7, 2011 at 8:54 am

This makes me want to open up a Cafe.

10 Alicia W. October 7, 2011 at 10:21 am

This reminds of of the book “Cranford” by Elizabeth Gaskell when Miss Matty wishes she could put a particularly delicious looking dessert under glass…

11 nichshee October 7, 2011 at 10:42 am

Wonderful, absolutely dreamy… French patisserie can be so ornate (several layers, different colours, textures) that the really good stuff deserves to be put under glass. I had a slice of birthday cake in the office today (in France) and it must have had five different layers: thin layer of sponge (is that only a UK expression for cake???) strawberry mousse, sponge, lemon mousse, chocolate sponge, apricot mousse, surrounded by delicate slices of white chocolate which were decorated… bref… I cannot do it justice ) but a slice of it deserved to be put under glass, to be admired as a work of art; the time it must have taken to set the different layers and to create it … it was like eating a delicate fruit flavoured cloud… and I must have devoured it in under two minutes (ok – one minute – hang head in shame).

12 Krystle @ ColorTransformedFamily October 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Forget the covers. I would just take those treats! They look amazing. I wouldn’t have them long enough to need a cover.

13 Kathleen October 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Love these! I adore all things made for tasting parties–tiny spoons, mini cups holding just a few bites of dessert. I haven’t actually hosted a tasting party but the cute dishes make it tempting!

14 Miss Stovetop October 12, 2011 at 9:19 am