Steve Jobs

October 6, 2011

I woke up to the news about Steve Jobs and was surprised at how sad I felt. I didn’t realize I would be weepy. We discussed his death this morning at breakfast and our kids could immediately see the impact he’s had on our lives. Every member of our family uses Apple products every single day without exception. He’s made our lives better and more beautiful.

My Dad bought our first Apple computer when I was in high school so he could try his hand at “desktop publishing”. He used it to start a newspaper for senior citizens because our town was a popular retirement spot. Seeing the sort of work my parents could create from home, thanks to Apple, had a direct impact on the career I would choose. I’ve never owned a computer from anyone but Apple.

I feel sober; saddened that the world has lost a creative genius. I’m also pondering death and the fact that no amount of success, smarts, or wealth will prevent it. I know this already, but Steve Jobs’ death brings it home. If anyone could have figured out how to live a thousand years, I would have guessed it was Steve.

Can you believe how young he is in this photo? I wonder if he knew he was going to change the world.

How about you? How was your life impacted by Steve Jobs?

1 Sally Cage October 6, 2011 at 3:25 am

Gabrielle, what a nice post.
I found out when I got to work today and it winded me. I felt crushed and I have been distracted all day. Same as you, I was surprised at how much it affected me (even though I am a long-time Apple user). He has changed the world – literally. He has changed my world. He has been a role model to so many. But after all that, he is a Husband & Dad & Son. So young to have passed away. It really drove the reality of mortality home to me today. Made me want to hug my (58-year-old) Dad really tight.
Thanks for everything, Steve! :)

2 Victoria October 6, 2011 at 3:41 am

I too felt very sad seeing Steve Jobs on the Apple site home page this morning. I was surprised too at how I felt – a lump in my throat. We love Apple products, use them every day and can’t ever imagine a life without them. I blog because I couldn’t keep away from my MacBook! Thank you Steve Jobs.

3 Megan October 6, 2011 at 3:46 am

I’m writing this from an iPad, with a iPhone4 nearby playing white noise for my new baby who was conceived with a little help from an app on an iPhone3G that’s retired and ready for eBay on my desk, next to an iMac laptop that stores the multimedia for my AppleTV in the living room in an apartment networked with Airports and strewn with various generations of iPods. Steve Jobs dramatically influenced how I communicate, learn, work, shop and play – and I’ve loved him for it. Thanks Steve (iRip)

4 Damaris October 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

Megan I loved your comment. I was going to say the same thing, how my life has been greatly enriched by Apple products that are used everyday in our home.

5 Ceri October 6, 2011 at 3:48 am

I’m also surprised by how profoundly affected I’ve been since learning about his sad death. And like you one of my first thoughts was that money can’t buy you everything. Steve probably had access to the best doctors in the world and the most cutting-edge of medical treatments but to no avail. I’ve been a proud Apple user since 1988. Back in my uni days in the UK I used a Mac Classic (who remembers them?!) to design magazine spreads on a TINY black and white screen, lol. I have never used a PC. I even worked at Microsoft for a short while and I used a Mac there (although I suspect it had to be smuggled onto the campus)! I wish good luck to Apple they have lost their driving force. I hope they can keep coming up with the goods. RIP Steve Jobs. You will be sorely missed. x

6 Chantale October 6, 2011 at 4:45 am

So sad however, just another reminder of how life is too short. My entire career as a graphic/product designer revolved around Macs except for 2 short stints at 2 different companies (pc). I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing without a Mac directly in front of me, listening to music while I work or creating home videos for my family to enjoy and reminisce at. I started off with a Quadra and I thought that was the coolest machine on earth back then. RIP Steve Jobs.. thank you for making my life easier and more fun.

7 Jessie Hansen October 6, 2011 at 5:04 am

Not sad at all. All I know is that they are going to make a movie about him with that Ashton guy playing the lead, because that picture totally looks like that Ashton guy.

8 Heather Kilpatrick October 6, 2011 at 5:14 am

I’m a PC user, and every day I use office, which was entirely inspired by Mac (Jobs’) design. Electronic design is more user-centric, more interested in elegance, more useful for creating thanks to Jobs. Even outside of his Apple world, his influence can’t be overstated. Plus, who doesn’t love Pixar movies!

9 Kimberly October 6, 2011 at 5:28 am

Because of the Apple II in my elementary school in the 80s, I started a lifelong love of computers and seeing what they can do. Since 1996, my career has revolved around computers and the internet, all because I learned to type “CATALOG” onto an Apple when I was 10.

10 Aliesha October 6, 2011 at 6:15 am

It’s funny you say that you didn’t realize how sad you’d be–I felt exactly the same way. I opened up Safari last night and Apple is still my homepage, and there was just the huge photo announcement of his passing, and I felt SO SAD. I’ve been wondering why, but I guess it’s just because of exactly what you said–the world lost a creative genius.

The very first computers I used were Apples, way back in elementary school. My husband and I made the leap last year and bought our first MacBook Pro and I use it approximately 157000 times per day.

I am sad :(

11 Sue October 6, 2011 at 6:16 am

It’s difficult to put into words how saddened I am by Steve Jobs’ death. Apple products are littered around my house, eight at the last count, and have been since I bought a second hand 128 way back in 1986. Steve said he wanted to go to bed every night knowing he has done something wonderful that day… Changing peoples’ lives with your products and making life a little more beautiful with your designs. I’d say that was pretty wonderful. RIP, Steve. We’ll miss you.

12 steffanie October 6, 2011 at 6:33 am

Lovely post- those of us who have benefited from his phenomenal imagination and determination have lost someone we wont soon forget.

13 Amanda October 6, 2011 at 6:45 am

His work and his words inspired me:

“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.” -Steve Jobs

14 creole wisdom October 6, 2011 at 6:49 am

I love your Mac story.

We always had Apples in my house growing up, too. I use my MacBook Pro everyday for work and play (I’m a photographer.) It’s incredible what an influence this man has had on many people, especially creatives.

15 katharine October 6, 2011 at 7:20 am

I agree with what everyone is saying. However, I think that what touched many of us was his insistence on good design and it was the design as well as the technology that he brought to the most successful products. He wasn’t a faceless technocrat CEO in a suit; he was a cool guy who did it his way and beat the big guys. What’s not to love?

16 Mary A. October 6, 2011 at 7:30 am

I heard it last night before bed and I was/am sad, too. I started feeling sad when he stepped down b/c I got the feeling that he would have had to be near death to do that and it must have just really pi*$ed him off to realize it was time to stop. It’s been said that he was difficult to work for and I suspect that’s b/c he didn’t accept mediocrity. I hope that he enjoyed his life. I read a great post on one of the other blogs I follow here: http://www.reveries.com/2011/10/steve-jobs/ and he sums it up nicely. “Rest easy, Mr. Jobs.”

17 Robin October 6, 2011 at 7:36 am

Very nice post, Gabby. I feel the same way.

18 jen October 6, 2011 at 7:48 am

i have also been surprised at how sad i feel! the world lost a great innovator, but i also feel terrible for his wife and young children.

19 Kelly October 7, 2011 at 12:05 am

I’m 40 years old. I think that when you look at the life of someone like Steve Jobs, who has been around only 56 short years and you realize that Apple has been around most of your life (for me, I recall Apple in the 80s, when I was still a teenager), it’s hard to imagine how he could have affected so many lives with so many innovative ideas and products and have still died at such a young age: 56. Fifty Six. I keep thinking about that number. Millions and millions and millions of people communicate with each other in a whole different way than we did 20 years ago because of this man, and his ideas – and he was only here for 56 years. It goes to show just how much one can accomplish in a lifetime. Or half a lifetime, in this case. RIP Mr. Jobs. You made a ding in the world. You have changed it forever.

20 Kate October 6, 2011 at 7:58 am

I got chills when you wrote, “I wonder if he knew he would change the world?” I felt the same as you upon hearing the news: surprised by how sad and weepy I felt. My mom was also a MAC lover for as long as they’ve been around. I remember our first little desktop that played 2 or 3 black and white games. It’s amazing to think how that has evolved into the amazing phone sitting next to me as I type. It’s such a loss. Great tribute.

21 Nicky from Canada October 6, 2011 at 8:01 am

Very Very sad news. His innovation has changed our lifes. Everything we have in our house, IMac, Macbooks, Iphones, Ipads – we are so lucky to have all this amazing technology!

22 Joanne October 6, 2011 at 8:28 am

Very sad news – such a loss.

If you haven’t yet listened to it, Steve Jobs’ 2005 commencement address at Stanford is worth listening to. Poignant and inspiring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc&feature=featured

23 Juan October 6, 2011 at 9:57 am

It is rather erie to hear him talk about his death when he was alive; now were are talking about his life now that he is dead.

24 CoTechGirl October 6, 2011 at 10:24 am

Completely agree – this speech would be moving even out of context with his death. Transcript is here, too.

25 Sara October 6, 2011 at 8:33 am

My parents bought a Mac in the 80s and taught me how to use it to transform our high school newspaper from traditional T-square and board layouts to desktop publishing. It’s the same computer I took to college in the early 90s (when most of my friends still had word processing typewriters).

What an amazing impact one man can have on the entire world.

26 katrina October 6, 2011 at 8:38 am

I have also felt unusually sad at the news of Steve Jobs death. I don’t usually feel compelled to cry at the death of a well-known person, and I can’t really say why I’m sad, except that his story is exceptional, and that it’s creative and intelligent individuals like him that drive the American economy. What an innovator.

27 juliagblair October 6, 2011 at 8:49 am

I also feel a personal loss, though I’ve never met this man. I’m impressed that he was not intimidated by the Ivy League or the “know-it alls” He did what he
loved to do and he was a good man.

28 Caitlin in MD October 6, 2011 at 8:57 am

A lot of people have been commenting on his wife and young children. Do those people know about the baby he fathered out of wedlock and then denied paternity for years? While he became one of the richest men in the world, his daughter and her mother (his on-again, off-again high school girlfriend) were living on welfare. This is not to diminish his technological and creative contributions to the world and to history, but to remind everyone that he was not a god among men.

29 Kelly October 7, 2011 at 12:13 am

I don’t think anyone is saying he was a God among men. Who is saying that? He was a man. Who got a girl pregnant at 22 years old and like many 23 year olds, was still quite immature. He and his daughter began their relationship when she was around 8 years old, they built a relationship and she lived with him in her teen years. He paid for her to go to Harvard where she graduated and became a writer. We do not know why people do what they do because we do not walk in their shoes. Why not leave such judgements to his daughter?

30 Natalie T October 6, 2011 at 9:18 am

That is a great photo. I have never yet owned, and rarely use, Apple products, but I know that his creative genius influenced so much of our world. Bless his family.

31 whitneyingram October 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

A lot of people forget he was the financial backer for Pixar when it first was started. Without Steve Jobs, there would be no Pixar. And Pixar is a huge part of any family with young children.

32 Juan October 6, 2011 at 9:50 am

That is a really good point. A life without A Bugs Life or Toy Story 1+2+3 would be emptier in a way.

33 Alicia W. October 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

I was sad to hear of Steve Jobs’ passing as well. For me it is not just about the Apple products that I use everyday, but a reminder of personal loss. My sweet mother died from complications related to pancreatic cancer over 7 years ago. She wasn’t even 50 yet. Life on this earth is very short…whether we are aware of the end coming or not.

34 the emily October 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

The first computer I ever used was an apple computer at my school. I’ve never owned one myself (but I desperately want to, should the prices ever drop) but I have an iPod touch that I use every single day. He was an awesome man. My uncle died of pancreatic cancer last year–it seems to be so unforgiving with who it takes. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

35 Juan October 6, 2011 at 9:46 am

It is really amazong how a man that we never knew personally can have such profound affects on our lives. I can’t say that he direct impacted my personal computing life [ as I don't having a macbook or ipod] but I am extremely thankful for him as I think many of my friends would never have been introduced to the world of computers if they didn’t have the easy of use found in a mac.

36 TN October 6, 2011 at 10:08 am

We are a non-Apple family. Meaning my husband Mr. Electronics does not like them nor support them due to the fact that you have to have their cords, ITunes etc…

But it was a very sad discussion we had this morning as well. We were both shocked (well my husband more than I). I had a close family member die of Pancreatic Cancer as well so I was not surprised he did not beat it. It is truly and awful cancer and basically a death sentence. It was a very sad and agonizing time for our family. I was quite surprised he still was in the public eye (same as Patrick Swazye) while having that type of cancer.

Even though we do not use Apple Products we acknowledge his innovation and he was a brilliant mind who will be missed!

TN

37 Valerie October 6, 2011 at 10:36 am

Because of the mark Steve Jobs has left on society his passing will be felt by many. While I am not an “Apple” person I can appreciate the contributions his creative (though not always humanistic) genius contributed to the world, yes world.

But selfishly, more than anything I hope that his passing will bring greater attention, research and funding to liver, pancreatic and bile duct cancer. My dad passed away from bile duct cancer and there was, and is, so few treatment options available to those who receive this devastating diagnosis.

38 Becky Williams October 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

Not really effected, personally. It’s unfortunate that someone should die so young though, just as it is with anyone. May he rest in peace.

39 Lacey October 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

I read this quote from President Obama this morning, “The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.” I teared up as I looked around me to see that I was reading that quote on my iMac with my iPhone beside me and my husband on his macbook pro in the next room. We all have iPods and my kids love to play on the iPad. His creativity is inspiring and has changed our lives. I am thankful for the example he set of if you dream it you can do it. What a great lesson that is for all of us. One I hope to instill in my children. Thanks so much, Steve.

40 Sara October 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I was surprised at how sad I felt when I heard, too. He really was such a visionary and an amazing person. I’m a die hard Mac/Apple user, also but I think even if I were not, I would be sad. My heart goes out to his family. His loss has been so obviously felt the world over, noteworthy in itself. RIP.

41 sarah jane October 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Gosh. SO much so. I’ve been thinking about it all morning. Here’s my tribute: http://bit.ly/n33INX

I feel similar today as when I heard about Jim Henson dying. It was like a light went out in the world. Such genius.

42 Jennifer October 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

“Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.” – Steve Jobs

We will all leave one day and what we do with the minutes, hours and days we have is up to us. Looking at all Steve Jobs has done: his creativity and ingenuity, makes me want to reach higher, read deeper, think harder, play with my kids more :D and make sure that I am using everything God gave me to the very best of my ability.

43 hillary manaster October 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I too am surprised by how sad Steve Job’s passing is making me feel. We have lost an incredible innovator and passionate revolutionary. His inspiration will live on while his death reminds us all how fragile life truly is.

44 Summer October 6, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I was surprised at how sad I was too! I mean, we all knew he was sick and surely in poor health to resign, but….it was still somehow a surprise.

I’ve enjoyed reading all his quotes and learning about him. I also loved Obama’s quote as well – Sure enough, I did get a text on my iphone from my friend who works at Apple telling me of the news.

45 Zoe - SlowMama October 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I was sad, too, and wrote my own little tribute this morning.

We came to Apple products a bit late… and regret it. My husband, a computer geek, stuck to PCs… he could repair them, build them, and thought Macs were primarily about the aesthetic (which he acknowledged was far superior.) As for me, all the offices I worked in used PCs and being a bit of a tech idiot, I used at home what I knew best.

Then my husband got an iPod… and then an iPhone, and that so revolutionized things for him, he got a MacBook Pro, after which I got a MacBook, and loved it immediately. This was followed by an iMac for our home office and then…an iPad. We’ll never go back. And my husband is now one of those annoying new converts, who can’t stop talking about how great his Apple products are. I adore my Mac.

To have products so well designed and so enjoyable to use makes life and work better. Jobs was indeed a creative genius, one of the most influential people of the 21st century.

I enjoyed this piece on him this afternoon by WSJ’s Walt Mossberg:

46 Jaci October 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm

We had a ‘tribute’ dinner to Steve Jobs this evening for our kids, it was a fun way to help them understand how one person’s vision can shape a generation. I just posted about it on our own family blog!

47 Gayletrini October 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Just like you I felt so sad and I felt the tears hit the back of my eyes and it was shocking to me because I loved his products but I didnt know him… but I thought he was winning his fight so I think the fact that he succumbed so soon after giving up his role as CEO totally blew me away.
My first computer was an Apple.

48 LP October 6, 2011 at 8:57 pm

A great post, for a great, genius guy. He certainly as changed and enhanced the world.
Rest in peace, Steve.

49 Lisa Comrie Gibson October 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Lovely tribute to a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love the story about your father and the newspaper. Just another example how he helped the world create.

Here is my tribute:

50 Piper October 7, 2011 at 7:58 am

Such beautiful words….I couldn’t agree more with so many of these posts.

51 Melissa Yoder October 7, 2011 at 9:26 am

I was shocked to find myself sobbing after I watched the Nightline special about him that night. I never knew how much I appreciated him and what he’s done for the world. A truly inspiring man!

52 Cheryl Burchett October 7, 2011 at 11:38 am

I heard a replay of Steve Job’s 15 minute graduation speech to Stanford University in 2005. He tells 3 stories about what matters most in his life and one of them was the importance of taking a calligraphy class in college! As an art teacher I was SO glad to hear a technology/science type person give credit to the importance of creativity and an understanding of good design. I turned it into a lesson for my students this morning and posted my ideas and a link to the video on my personal blog. http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2011/10/driving-in-to-work-today-i-heard.html