Monet’s Gardens at Giverny

October 3, 2011

monetgardengiverny_blair16

Picture 1 of 18

Hello, Friends! Did you have a good weekend? Ours turned into an adventurous one. At the last minute, we drove to Paris to see Nuit Blanche 2011 (I’ll tell you all about it in another post). We slept over at the Ferney’s on Saturday night and stopped at Giverny when we drove home on Sunday.

It was a gorgeous day to visit Monet’s Gardens. The weather felt like summer and the flowers were still in full bloom. I had two favorite parts: the Japanese garden (where the famed waterlilies are) and visiting his house.

His dining room is entirely yellow and has a table that seats 14! (Monet had 8 kids and lots of visitors.) His kitchen has a huge old stove very similar to the antique here at La Cressonnière. Photos aren’t allowed inside the house, but we took lots in the gardens.

Have you ever been? What’s your favorite work from Monet?

1 Maria Ortiz-Cintron October 3, 2011 at 7:45 am

Lovely pics! The Garden and the kids alike! :)

2 Giulia October 3, 2011 at 7:46 am

I have very fond memories of visiting Giverny. It’s calm and beautiful and you can see how inspired he would have been by everything around him. I loved the Japanese (?) art he had in his house, I did not expect that.

3 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

I had no idea about the Japanese prints either. Loved that!

4 Patricia October 3, 2011 at 7:54 am

What a great post to start the week, here with my coffee and looking at your images, how lovely. I always look forward to your posts, Gabrielle. I have never been to Giverny but do tell us more about Nuit Blanche. I was in Madrid in 2007 when Noche Blanca was in town. It was a great experience, went to a few museums and ended up exhausted at 4 a.m. at a cafe. Those were the days!

5 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:13 am

Oh my goodness! My Nuit Blanche involved a 4AM caper as well. I’ll be sure to write it up. : )

6 plum October 3, 2011 at 7:57 am

Those cheeks! That Peter Pan collar!! The ringlets!!!
Could baby June be any cuter? Not possible.

best – d.

post script: don’t forget, today’s the day.

7 julia g blair October 3, 2011 at 8:07 am

Such a beautiful garden tour to begin this Autumn week! The gardens are
so lovely, but the children are even more lovely! Want to hug you all!

8 Anne October 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

I LOVE the waterlillies at the Musee de l’Orangerie – one of those take-your-breath-away art moments. It would be awesome to visit them now that you’ve been to the gardens!

9 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:12 am

Oh man! I still haven’t visited Musee de L’Orangerie. I want to!

10 elz October 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

I’ve never been to Giverny. When my girls are older, we’ll have to go there. Monet is my 7 year old’s favorite artist (so far!).

11 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag October 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

I went to Giverny when I was 18. I’ve never forgotten it! One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been — The roses, oh the roses….So happy that you all went!

12 Béa October 3, 2011 at 8:40 am

Have been there few months ago with my sister and nieces. Poppies were in full bloom. Surreal and lovely. The house indeed was captivating – to me.
My niece, who is 3 and to whom I had just shown the black and white picture of Monet right before walking down the few steps to enter the garden, asked my a sweet : “Et, il est où le Monsieur?”

13 teresita October 3, 2011 at 9:18 am

Such beautiful trip!! I’ve always wanted to go there, and I hope I do some day, it is the perfect place to go with kids. I’m so jealous! But you brought a piece to us with your photos, thank you!

14 All Unwound October 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

Lovely lovely photos. I was going to pick a favorite but they are all very good. Thanks for including the info about his private life and house. Looks like a great place for a visit.

15 Laetitia October 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

Oh !! You went go to the Nuits Blanches!!
I was there too with my boyfriend.
We did Montmartre/ Anvers aera.
It so funny I gave the link in english on you sis’s blog thinking she should fo the kids version.

I must say this year it was too crowded. We end up having an ice cream at Amarino at Abbesses ;-) It was fun though!

I look forward to have your impression about it.

16 Laetitia October 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

Sorry for the mistaping and english mistakes

17 Everton Terrace October 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have never been but, as is the case with everyone I imagine, would love to. I’ve only been to France once, Paris for 3 quick days, hence, I’m living vicariously through your adventures. Thank you :)
I had no idea he had 8 children!

18 Jennifer October 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

My mom and I went during a trip to Paris. Probably one of our favorite days. It was so beautiful and peaceful there. It was so fun to see the inspiration for so many of his paintings.

19 Sarah {Daily Design Inspiration} October 3, 2011 at 10:11 am

oh it looks just like what I imagined! I love Monet.

Have you seen this website? http://www.monet2010.com It’s an absolutely beautiful display of his work (and web design).

Thanks for sharing pictures!

20 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:12 am

Thanks for the link, Sarah! Sounds like such a cool site.

21 the emily October 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

I would have loved to visit Giverny when I was in France in April. I cried when I saw the paintings at the Musee d’Orsay in person. I’m not really an art aficionado but what I love, I love, and Monet is a LOVE. I don’t know if I have a favorite, they’re all just so gorgeous.

22 bdaiss October 3, 2011 at 11:34 am

Oh how lovely! Definitely on my bucket list. Monet is one of my favorites.

I think you should take photo #6 and run it through a watercolor effect to frame as a perfect keepsake to the day.

23 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:11 am

Bucket list worthy!

24 Maria @ Busy as a Bee in Paris October 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

love giverny, went their for the first time a few years ago and i haven’t been back yet. like you, i fell in love with the all yellow dining room, but i also loved the blue kitchen. how bold and yet so lovely. i wrote a blurb on my blog about my visit http://www.busyasabeeinparis.com/p/life-in-france.html#uds-search-results and i hope to go back soon! bisous xoxo

25 Sara October 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Looks gorgeous! Sadly for us, we didn’t end up making it there while we were staying in Paris as I had hoped…we’ll have to do it next time. My kids loved reading Linnea in Monet’s Garden anyway, though. What a great weekend you had!

26 Erin R October 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm

How inspiring and magical for the family. I’m sure you see the paintings coming to life before you! This has always been on my list, and I think I will just have to move it closer to the top!

27 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:08 am

I totally felt like that! Like I could see his paintings come alive.

28 denise October 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Since my kids are grown, I haven’t made anything for years…BUT now that I have grandchildren close, it would be SOOO fun to have some fresh ideas!
Thank you!

29 Mara Kofoed {A Blog About Love} October 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I have been to Giverny! I remember dying over that yellow kitchen. In my early twenties, I cashed out every dime I had and spent a summer in Paris at the American University of Paris. I took an architecture class which meant we toured Paris and the outskirts and received lectures on all the amazing sites. (Little tip: The class was practically free when “audited”, opposed to receiving a credit). It was a dream!

Also, it has been so lovely for me to watch your family from afar. Your children all look SO happy and so content. So beautiful to see.

30 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:06 am

So smart to audit classes while traveling. That’s brilliant!

31 Elena October 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm

wow I loved it! Monet is one of my favourites…so blessed to be there.

32 Whitney October 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Wow. I would love to visit there one day. You have such a darling family, by the way. I love that last picture.

33 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:06 am

Thanks, Whitney! I think they’re darling too. : )

34 Katie October 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I have been there twice, once in fall and once in spring. I understand that the gardens are carefully engineered to ensure full blooms throughout the year and staggered plant growth. My aunt spent a year in Normandy as part of an academic’s sabbatical and I think they went there over a half dozen times during one calendar year. She said that it was spectacular even in winter. Monet’s Gardens is one of those places that I unequivocally love and recommend to everyone, whether young or old, urban hip or granola crunching natural. My daughter is almost exactly the same age as June. I would so love to take her there and let her run (albeit under a watchful eye around those ponds). Your pictures make me feel nostalgic.

35 Patty October 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I visited in 1992 with my then fiance, now husband :o) It was just gorgeous. I loved his house too and loved the views from the bridge.

36 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:05 am

It really is a charming house. So much color!

37 Elle October 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I second the recommendation of Linnea in Monet’s Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Linnea-Monets-Garden-Cristina-Bjork/dp/9129583144)! It was one of my favorite books as a child, and I grew up imagining that one day I would get to visit the garden myself. I finally got the chance to make it happen during a recent trip to Paris. It was so magical! It makes an easy day trip, and is totally worth a visit!

38 Thuy Phelps October 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I went in August a couple years ago and was 2nd in line waiting for the gates to open. I quickly ran to the lily ponds and took many photos before all the tourists made there way back there. I also took a photo from Monet’s bedroom window with a shot overlooking the garden which included the ivy dangling down from the window frame. I was so happy to check this visit off of my bucket list.

39 Adventures In Babywearing October 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Oh, I love! I don’t know if I have a favorite. I was always like one of the only people that liked the haystacks. I worked at the Art Institute in Chicago when the big exhibit was there in 1995! That was incredible.

Steph

40 Design Mom October 4, 2011 at 6:05 am

How neat, Steph! I love that you saw his exhibit in Chicago.

41 Heidi October 4, 2011 at 5:58 am

My parents took me once when I was 11 and once at 17. I’m so grateful they exposed me to such things at a young age, just like your kids will. Giverny inspired me to receive my degree in art history, I loved learning about artist’s lives and the world around them in addition to seeing their art.

42 Susan October 4, 2011 at 6:49 am

That was such a treasured trip for me, as I got to do it with my Mom. She is a painter and Monet is her favorite artist, so growing up I learned everything about his life and works. It was such a thrill to finally get to Giverny!

43 Erin October 4, 2011 at 7:06 am

I want a dining room table that seats 14, maybe even 20. Wouldn’t that be great?

44 Danielle October 4, 2011 at 9:21 am

What beautiful photos! I’m putting Giverny on my to-see list…one more great reason to get back to France! As for my favorite Monet, it would have to be Boulevard des Capucines. I bought and framed a poster print years ago. I think it might be time to look for an updated version.

45 Sara October 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm

The last snap is my fave – what a happy gang!

46 Jill October 5, 2011 at 10:20 am
47 LaNell October 6, 2011 at 8:38 am

If you haven’t yet, read “Linnea in Monet’s Garden!” My daughter and I read that sweet story many many times when she was young. As an adult she was able to go and fulfill our dream of “Anne in Monet’s Garden.” I still get teary when I see the picture of her standing on the steps of the house.

48 susan December 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

Loved the photos of the garden. I have always dreamed of going there. Have you seen the children’s book, LINNEA in Monet’s Garden by Christina Bjork and Lena Anderson? Your children would love it especially since they have visited the garden.