Happy Halloween!

October 31, 2011

Pumpkin images from Hungarian blog, Dekorella.

In some parts of France, we hear there’s a bit of trick-or-treating today. But in our small town, we were told it’s a no go. So instead, we’re having our own little Halloween celebration at Chez Blair. We’re pretty darn happy about it! Here’s what’s on the schedule:

- Carving jack-o-lanterns. Sometimes, I dread the mess and crave a refined, non-carved pumpkin like this and this. But today, I’m going to embrace the guts!

- A costume challenge: Each child will receive 2 large pieces of heavy paper and they need to create a costume out of it. They can use supplies we have in the art room, and grown-up assistance if needed. They are soooo excited for this.

- Baking our favorite old-fashioned pumpkin cookies.

- Watching Charlie Brown’s Great Pumpkin.

- Making a cozy dinner of Award Winning Chili, cornbread and apple cider. (Wish us luck finding the right ingredients!)

- If time allows, a bonus activity involving an installation of tea-lights.

Have a Happy Halloween! I hope yours is filled with school parades, fantastic costumes, trick-or-treating, and secretly raiding the candy bowl. Please eat an extra peanut-butter cup for me!

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — We arrived home from Barcelona last night. I can’t wait to report on our adventures later this week.

1 Sparkle and Co October 31, 2011 at 4:15 am

Bonjour!!! Joyeux halloween! Now, it’s All Saints’ holiday so many children are out of town (Paris). Halloween arrived in France in the late 90′s, influenced by TV series. It’s not a habit but a trend. In fact, single adults love this holiday to partying! lol
This pumpkin is awesome!!!

2 Lori H October 31, 2011 at 4:49 am

Happy Haloween! I think I would prefer the small celebration to the trick or treating (my kids are teenagers). Love your costume challenge idea!

3 Eleanor October 31, 2011 at 4:55 am

Happy Halloween!
Our town in NJ has the 2nd largest Halloween parade in the US so we trick or treat the day before since the parade is hosted on Halloween.
Tonight will be all about doing fun things in the comfort of home!

Your Halloween plans for the children are clever! Sounds like a wonderful time!

4 Shannon (8foot6) October 31, 2011 at 6:47 am

happy halloweeeeen!

my two-and-a-half year old and I are hauling the wagon to the corner store to get some pumpkins…and then plastering the kitchen floor with newspapers and going to town!

He says he carved a pumpkin at nursery school last week…so he seems as excited as I am…

This will be messy!

5 amyks October 31, 2011 at 6:58 am

Happy Halloween,
My Boston neighborhood, Charlestown, goes all out for Halloween. A huge “short” costume parade around the Bunker Hill Monument and then off to trick or treat. Seriously, there are over a thousand kids & parents dressed in costumes!!! We usually make our costumes out of stuff we can have at home or can get at Goodwill. It is so much fun.

6 The BabbyMama October 31, 2011 at 8:05 am

That sounds like fun! We’re still sorting out what kind of Halloween traditions we want to create. We think biking to Salem will be a yearly treat (in costume, of course) but we don’t know what else. This year the Babby is only 2.5 and only kind of aware of the point of it all!

7 Denise Laborde October 31, 2011 at 8:12 am

Hi Design Mom!

I think it is great you are going to mark the occasion. The costume challenge is such a fun idea. Now that we are in DC we are excited to see how people go all out with decorations and pumpkin carvings. Our sons went to school in costumes. It is really a fun experience!

Maybe your town’s kids will wear costumes for Carnival in February – we used to do that in Toulouse.

Bises
D

8 Mom in Mendon October 31, 2011 at 8:26 am

What a fun evening you have planned, Dear Blairs. Love to you all!

9 Meggan October 31, 2011 at 8:42 am

For me this wil be the most strange Halloween to date because I won’t be spending it with my 4 beautiful kids. I live in a small town in Alaska and had to go to another town (Juneau) to have my baby…she is being stubborn though and so my husband and I are still camped out in a hotel room trying every home “remedy” for child birth. Have fun carving those pumpkins! I think we will probably go down town and watch other people with their kids, unless of course this little one decides to finally make an appearance (not sure how it would be to have a Halloween birthday though).

10 Shannon @ A Mom's Year October 31, 2011 at 9:01 am

Happy Halloween, Blair Family! I will happily eat a few peanut butter cups for you, Gabrielle. (My children are so sweet, they hand them right over because they know the peanut butter cups are my favorite!)

11 Nicole K October 31, 2011 at 9:13 am

Ralph turned up in his Rubix Cube costume in the Sunday paper yesterday:

The costume challenge sounds great!

Bonne fete a tous!

12 Tahsa October 31, 2011 at 9:24 am

The snow almost ruined the day! We have no school here today and the power was just returned since early Saturday! Due to the weather we didn’t even go to our favorite pumpkin farm this year:( So here I am running around placing little decorations for ME! I love this season…and my husband and grown son let me go for it – and it makes visiting special I hope:) Growing up between a farm and a lake I always dreamed of handing out candy and now that I’m in a city I enjoy it so much. I expect the neighborhood kiddies will be early today too! ENJOY everyone:)

13 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com October 31, 2011 at 10:15 am

At least you won’t have to figure out what to do with all the candy?!

14 All Unwound October 31, 2011 at 10:32 am

It sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. It’s nice that you’re going with a family celebration since your town doesn’t really trick or treat.

Today is cold and rainy. I just hope the weather clears since our dinner and trick or treating were supposed to be outside!!

15 Molly @thewaffler October 31, 2011 at 10:48 am

Just go back from the Halloween parade at my kids’ school. My daughter is wearing a mermaid dress, but this morning she raided the dress-up bin and added wings and a tiara. Now she’s a mermaid-princess-fairy.

Happy Halloween!

16 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag October 31, 2011 at 11:11 am

Happy Spooky Halloweeny Treat-filled Day to you and your family Miss Gabrielle!!!

17 Damaris October 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm

No Halloween in our tiny coastal town in Brazil either. We’re celebrating with homemade cookies (gotta have sugar) and the Halloween episode of Modern Family.

By the first pumpkin picture is from Country Living http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/40-Pumpkin-Decorating-Ideas-decoupage#fbIndex1 and there’s a tutorial on how to make it I think.

Enjoy your Halloween.

18 Heidi October 31, 2011 at 12:27 pm

What lucky kids you have! It sounds like you will be having a very busy, very fun night! Who needs trick-or-treating anyways? ;)
Happy Halloween!

19 Rebecca Grace October 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Happy Halloween! I hope your family has a wonderful Halloween, even without the trick-or-treating. We always watch The Great Pumpkin, too, although even as a child I remember being really upset about the way Charlie Brown is treated. Lucy telling him that he only got invited to the party by mistake? And when the kids go out together trick-or-treating, the other kids all get candy but Charlie Brown gets a rock at every single house!

20 Will October 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Nice blog check mine

21 Josephine October 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Your Halloween sounds wonderful! I want to see pictures of those costumes. My kids carved pumpkins last night and we made a pumpkin dessert to have this evening. We will be giving out candy to the neighborhood kids (mine are too old to trick-or-treat) and eating what’s left.
Happy Halloween!

22 Valerie October 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Ok so totally random comment … but after reading the post about your award winning chili I was again reminded that there is an untapped opportunity to brand and market a ranch style dressing in Europe (France in particular). Though I call it “magic white sauce” because I find Americans too willing to put it on ANYTHING, I must say I have only had one of my French relatives who didn’t like it – but he doesn’t count cause he doesn’t eat dairy or fruit … and yes, I’ve wondered if my Aunt and Uncle adopted him from an alien nation. Were it not for his love of bread and ability to eat large quantities of it I would truly question his heritage. Though .. I digress … back to Ranch dressing, I really think this could be my entrepreneurial calling – unless someone beats me to it.

I know, random .. looking forward to hearing about Barcelona!

23 JennyLynn October 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

We are having chili for dinner as well. Your Halloween plans sound like fun. May your family have a wonderful time celebrating Halloween together.

24 Kira October 31, 2011 at 4:25 pm

It sounds like you have a really fun day planned!

We get a ton of trick-or-treaters at our house, but with a 1 month old, we are sitting this year out and not handing out candy. Next year should be tons of fun with our girl being a bit more grown up!

25 becky October 31, 2011 at 4:43 pm

we have a charlie brown (daughter), so the great pumpkin is on our list as well. and once the kids are sugared up and crashing we’ll throw them into bed and watch The Others on nextflix…my husband remembered it was the movie we were watching the first time we held hands. goofy, but it should be a fun night. personally, i think halloween has become a bit overdone. after 4 pre-parties/activities for the kids – all with their costumes…we’re barely going to limp through trick-or-treating our street. sigh. enjoy tonight. it sounds lovely and we wish we were doing the same.

26 SarahBeth October 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm

What a lovely evening. I love the pics! We aren’t big fans of trick or treating, so we just might borrow of few of your ideas for future halloween traditions.

27 Kathleen October 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Sounds like a pretty awesome Halloween party -the costume challenge sounds like so much fun! We carved a pumpkin with our toddler this weekend and he was absolutely riveted by pulling out the seeds.

28 Sandy October 31, 2011 at 8:11 pm

OK, Gabrielle. This is going to sound crazy stalkery, but I swear, it’s not. I had to watch the French film Comme une image for class, and I think the writer/director/costar, Agnès Jaoui, looks just like you. Not in that main picture, but throughout the film, there are moments. It’s nuts. Has anyone in France mentioned it at all, or is it just my crazy self?

29 Sandy October 31, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Erm, I meant to link to her IMDB page, which is where the “main picture” is.

30 Ann October 31, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Boo! We forgot to watch Charlie Brown! Waaaaah! We’ll have to watch it this weekend since we were gone to Maryland, I declare a makeup! I think I carved our giant pumpkin tonight in less than 5 minutes. Boyz wanted a Scream face. Scary! I also carved it in my all white homemade Princess Leia costume with no apron. I live dangerously! Oh, and I made chili! What was I thinking?! No stains. It’s a miracle.

31 Jenn Sedor October 31, 2011 at 10:06 pm

It was a fabulous week of festivities for me. Parties at the Family Centre, ladies night and two haunted birthdays! Tried a pumpkin lasagna for dinner tonight – but think I will return to my chili next year. Hope your day was fabulous too!

32 The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful November 1, 2011 at 12:34 am

I’m in a Halloween Harrumph. I appreciate your valiant efforts to bring the magic to the people, but …. sorry, blacked out a moment from blood sugar spike. I need a epi. Be back shortly, hopefully

33 ellen van manen November 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

the apple cider should be no problem :)

34 Jen November 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

The costume challenge is genius! What a fantastically creative project.

35 Missy W November 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Oh, would love to see your French art room!

36 Destiny November 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Greetings!
After dreaming about your pumpkin cookies for the last 24 hours, I made them this afternoon. They are Devine, my 4-year old said they were ‘Phenominal’! Yes, that is a quote! :) I halved the recipe since there are only two of us at home right now and we still ended up with almost 2 dozen cookes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
Destiny

37 Tara Jane November 10, 2011 at 7:22 am

How was the Halloween party?