Bone Soup

October 24, 2011

Something we’re definitely missing this year is our box of Halloween books. Our tradition is to read spooky (or silly) books by candle light each night of October. One of our very favorites is Bone Soup by Cambria Evans. It’s charming and appropriately creepy all at once. Have you read it? Do you have any favorite Halloween books?

And speaking of bones, don’t you think this necklace would make a good October 31st accessory?

P.S. — Find more of our favorite Halloween books here and here.

1 Anna October 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

My kids love this pop-up book:

I have to admit that I love it too.

2 Mary Martinec October 24, 2011 at 8:36 am

My favorite Halloween book when the kids were little was “In a Dark, Dark Room”. They are good, not too spooky stories that new readers can read themselves.

3 Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! October 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

I don’y have any Halloween books! And I think that this is something I need to rectify immediately.

(Thanks for the new collection idea!)

4 All Unwound October 24, 2011 at 9:45 am

Great family tradition!

The necklace is just creepy enough for a teen. TFS

5 Jill W October 24, 2011 at 10:48 am

Fright Night Flight and Piggie Pie are my favorite Halloween books!

6 Molly @thewaffler.com October 24, 2011 at 10:58 am

Love the idea of turning off the light and reading by candlelight. I might let my daughter use her flashlight, too, as she gets so few chances to use it in “real” situations.

7 San Diego Mobile Notary October 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

We don’t have Halloween books too. I think that this is something I need to rectify immediately. The necklace is just creepy enough for a teen.

8 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag October 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Do I have suggestions? WHY YES! ‘Room on the Broom’ by Julia Donaldson! Also loving ‘Skelly the Skeleton Girl’ right now. I put together a fun round up of Halloween cat-themed stories recently that you might like:

And this one is HILARIOUS: http://www.juliasbookbag.com/2011/10/ghosts-eating-toast.html

9 katik October 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

We love Bone Soup and The Spider and the Fly–both purchased after your recommendations last year. My kids keep expecting a better outcome for the fly, poor thing. Other favorites are John Pig’s Halloween and The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything.

10 Andrea @ Strawberry-Chic October 25, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’ve never read it, but I have been looking for some fun halloween stories to start collecting, thanks for the tip! and yes, that necklace would be awesome for the 31st!

11 lynn richards October 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hello!!
I found your blog on pinterest, the post about the moss wall words. LOVE it. I am so drawn to your blog. I have visited Florence in the last year and completely fell in love. Some day, I hope to visit France. Can’t wait to explore your blog further.
xoxo
lynn

12 Sasha October 26, 2011 at 11:20 am

I love Robert Munsch… so if you don’t have it, when you get back home I highly recommend “BOO!” by Robert Munsch.

13 Sasha Peterson November 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I love this book! Cambria Evans is very talented in both writing and her clever illustrations. My kids love her books and to add candlelight to a nighttime reading is so brilliant!