Ask Design Mom: Oversize Floor Cushions

October 5, 2011

Question:
Hi Gabrielle. I am looking for an oversize cushion like the one featured in this scan (below) from the May 2009 Cookie Magazine (yes, I still have many, many ripped out ideas from that magazine which I still sorely miss, sniff, sniff). Anyhoo, I’m wondering if you/or your readers have any ideas where I could find something just like this. Thanks!
— Mary

Answer:
Hi Mary! That cushion is adorable. I haven’t seen that exact one, but I’ve been coveting these jumbo knitted bean bags ever since I posted about them. What about you Dear Readers? Know a source for that great stripey cushion? Or maybe you know someone Mary could hire to make one?

1 Simona October 5, 2011 at 5:37 am

Big cushions have been on my mind too. I tried to make my own for our girls. At Target you can get cheap, washable, medium sized cotton rugs (like the ones you may have in the kitchen for example) for 10-15 dollars. If you want a DIY project, you can do it cheeply and fast. Sew two rugs together (different colors too, but I did mine in white). Stuff them with old sheets or any fluffy, fun, unused fabric you may have around the house. I placed buttons on mine on one side so we can still throw it in the washer when the stains surface. It fits three of my little ones and it makes a cozy, cheap alternative to the gorgeous pics posted. Just a thought…

2 Maddy October 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

This sounds cool. Can we see a picture?

3 currystrumpet October 5, 2011 at 5:56 am

Proud owner of the Nest jumbo knitted beanbag! Here’s a pic of it in my home: http://currystrumpet.blogspot.com/2011/08/maximum-occupancy.html

4 wordplayhouse® October 5, 2011 at 7:18 am

My on the fly, design idea (a quick, fun solution): buy a large drawstring laundry bag (I’ve seen cute ones with stripes even!). Stuff with stuffing or bean bag pellets. Stitch opening closed. Presto. The cutest ever bean ‘bag’ cushion ever!

5 Juan October 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

That is a great idea, and it is not like the stitching would take that long either.

6 Lisa October 5, 2011 at 7:21 am

The large cushion in question is made by John Robshaw. But sadly, I think he may have stopped production on them.

7 Stacey H October 5, 2011 at 7:29 am

Years ago we bought the giant, sofa size bean bag from the Corda-roy Company. They sent us a box of vacuum packed fill to add to the bag in case it ever needed a little extra fluff. I have actually used the extra fill to make my own smaller floor cushions. So, I guess you could order a box of fill and just make your own! I would buy a cute indoor/outdoor fabric and some contrasting piping. Seems like an easy project to me and I am a total sewing hack! Here is where you can order the shredded foam fill: http://www.cordaroys.com/shop/Beanbag-Foam-Only-p23.html. I bet you could even find it cheaper if you searched a bit…

8 Jana @ The Summer House October 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’ll sew one up for you! I bet you could also fill it with a bunch of bed pillows.
xo jana

9 amy October 5, 2011 at 8:30 am

how funny! ever since i saw that cushion in the magazine i’ve been wanting one just like it as well. i was even considering dog beds! still looking….

10 Jessie Hansen October 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

MAKE ONE! So easy.

11 jaclyn October 5, 2011 at 9:01 am

If you look at TJMaxx or Marshalls in their pet section- weird, I know- they often have great large pillows like that. They sell ones that don’t look like a dog bed, just a large pillow. I have one for my kids and they love it.

12 Tanie October 5, 2011 at 9:51 am

Same! I have a rectangular dog bed in a beautiful tan brocade fabric in my living room, and my daughter AND dogs both use it. I’ve had it for years and years so it’s starting to get kind of flattened in its old age, but I wrapped a spare duvet around the cushion and stuffed the whole thing back into the cover and it’s nice and fluffy again.

Dog bed are great because the covers are always removable & washable.

13 Melissa October 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

My mom sent my girls a dog bed (we don’t have a dog, by the way) after noticing that they love to lay in her dog’s pet bed. It is their favorite way to watch TV or curl up by the fire. Our’s isn’t huge, but I know they sell humongous ones at Costco!

14 Nicole K October 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

ETSY!

15 Juan October 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

Jana @ The Summer House’s idea of just stuff a bunch of pillows together would always work, [as long as you could find the bag first]. I wish you luck!

16 Jill Yancey October 5, 2011 at 9:15 am

I found some adorable oversized floor pillows that can be personalized in pottery barn for kids halloween catalog http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/chamois-floor-pillows/?pkey=e|floor%2Bpillows|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

17 TN October 5, 2011 at 9:23 am

I say MAKE IT YOURSELF! I have been going to an Atelier (Workshop) here in Paris and learning all kinds of things from Sewing to Jewelry Making. It’s really a joy to make something all by yourself (with an artists guidance of course!).

I had a mobile left over from my son that I reused and sewed a new cover and made new animals to fit with my soon to be baby girls nursery! And I learned it all at this workshop.

I have even opened an Etsy Shop because I have become pretty handy making Silver Art Clay Pendants, Glass Enamel on Copper Necklaces, using felt etc…It’s very rewarding learning a craft/hobby and actually doing something constructive!

Give it a try…it can’t cost very much – fabric, stuffing and learning how to sew at a workshop (plus you use their sewing machine to boot!) ;-)
TN

18 camille October 6, 2011 at 8:50 am

Which atelier are you going to in Paris? I live there too, and once took a crochet class at Matière Active in the 18th, but I would love to hear any other recommendation. Thank you!

19 Joanne October 5, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love those book birdhouses hanging above – adorable!

20 Meaghan October 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I believe those are books with the pages folded/rolled to create that effect! I’ve seen it done somewhere, just not sure where! They are really beautiful!

21 rubi October 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

Why not make your own? My husband and I have made some for some friends and they were a fun little project.

22 Ann October 5, 2011 at 11:37 am

The seamstress that does tailoring for us, I sometimes have her make pillows for us. I’m thinking of having her make a bolster for our king size bed out of an old ticking sheets set that we loved. All you have to do is buy all the materials for him/her. The pillow, the zipper, fabric and the piping. It’s a good idea to meet with him/her first to get all the measurements and materials correct. You always want a little extra just in case.

23 Anna Clements October 5, 2011 at 11:48 am

target often sells large square ones during the spring and summer season in their seasonal section.

24 yvonne October 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love the idea of a large pouf. I wanted to share with you the pouf I made. It was basically a large cushion and then I stuffed it with an old duvet and pillows. Here are some instructions: http://yvonnekoo.com/blog/2011/04/pouf/

25 hrl October 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Those cushions are so cute but so expensive! Wish I was more crafty.

26 Sherri October 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Pottery Barn Teen is featuring some cool floor pillows / chairs …

27 Cassi Campbell October 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I’ve just started a new slipcover business (www.pipingandpleats.com). I’d be happy to sew a cover for you, or give you some specs on sewing one, if you are able to find an insert.

28 Megan October 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I found this tutorial a while ago and would love to try it if I were better at sewing! http://www.soyouthinkyourecrafty.com/1999/01/rollie-pollie_28/

29 Marlo October 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Hello! I have pillows made of similar French ticking just like that from a vendor at the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena, California. I cannot remember their name, but I know they’ve been in lots of magazines, and I’ve seen those large pillows at their booth. The fabric they use is from old mattresses that they de-feather wearing Haz-Mat suits (lovely, right?) as not to inhale the down. They then soak it for days in Oxi Clean to get rid of rust stains from the springs. The pillows are very durable and I love mine!

30 Barkingkel October 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm
31 Jill October 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm

http://www.eazybean.com – great selection, super durable and machine washable! The knitted ones are super cute but my kids would trash them.

32 Holly brain October 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

My friend just bought a darling “dog bed” at tj maxx for the same purpose. Huge, fluffy cushion for tv, great price! Goodluck

33 flannery o'kafka October 6, 2011 at 2:14 am

Is it wrong to want to pick up that child, move him out of the way and sit on that big cushion myself??? I want to read there!
(and I’m off to TKMaxx –in the UK– to find a giant dog bed for our dog-less family!)
-andrea

34 Mary A. October 6, 2011 at 7:33 am

Thanks for all the great ideas you guys! I only wish I could sew one for myself!!!

35 vandegee October 6, 2011 at 8:07 am
36 Sara October 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

The cushion IS cute, but I’m totally in love with those hanging books. Gotta figure out how to make those!

37 Kate The Great October 10, 2011 at 3:19 pm

DesignMom posted on those hanging books earlier–here:

38 Katlynn Gosdin November 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I’d like to know how to make the books hanging from the ceiling!

39 real estate listings April 16, 2014 at 1:03 am

Hi there to every body, it’s my first go to see of this web site; this weblog carries awesome and actually good material in support of visitors.