A Few Things

October 7, 2011

Hello, Friends. How are you? Was it a good week for you? I’m ready for the weekend! We have family coming to town tomorrow — my sister-in-law Carol and my niece, Lindsey. We can’t wait! They’re bringing an empty suitcase and we have big plans to go shopping and fill it up. : )

In addition to the grocery list and touristy stuff, here are a few things that I’ll be discussing with Ben Blair this weekend:
- My bro-in-law, Paul Ferney’s new site! (His piece at top is called California Fall.)
- LOVE this article. Makes me think about the words I use with my kids.
- A new site that caught my eye.
- Marriage advice from a happy couple.
- My brother Salem sent me a link to this wild street art.
- Work Life Balance (plus me!) on the Huffington Post.
- So many good Kirtsy slideshows this week. This one is all about neon.

I also write for Babble.com. Here are this week’s posts:
- Ten cozy cardigans for fall!
- These are at the very top of my wishlist right now.
- I’m already a fan of Wee Gallery. Look what else they made.
- A new in-print mag for kids. (Their site is gorgeous!)
- Gorgeous new line for your daughters at Anthropologie.

Have a wonderful weekend! I hope you have some fun discussions at your house too. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Did I tell you I’m headed to NYC next Wednesday? I’m so excited!

1 Jennifer October 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Loved the ‘praise’ article and posted it to my blog for working parents. Thanks so much!!

2 Damaris October 7, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Loved the marriage article. Thanks for posting it.

3 Amanda October 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love the advice about marriage! I’m not anywhere close to being married but it seems like sound advice to me!

4 Ana October 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I know I always say I love your lists, but i DO.

5 Jenny P October 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Love everything :) As usual.

Yay for NY visits! The weather here is pretty amazing right now, hope it stays that way for your trip!

6 Michelle October 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm

The wired article is from a chapter in Nurture Shock. A great book that will change the way you parent. I highly recommend it.

7 Stephanie Grey October 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Dear Gabrielle, Thank you for these great resources. I loved reading the article about praise and children. I am currently reading ‘Between Parent and Child’ (Dr. Haim Ginott), and there is a lot of focus on some of these same ideas. And I love the marriage blog! This comes at a great time, when I need to be reminded of what’s important. hope all is well with you and your family.

8 Jen October 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm

It’s thanksgiving here in Canada and we took a road trip from Quebec to see our friends in Ontario for the weekend. My husband is attending his high school reunion as well and I plan to shop in English stores (!) and spend time in the pool with the kids!!! And it’s supposed to be around 25 degrees (celcius) all weekend! What luck! Anyways I hope you have as much fun with your family this weekend as we are going to. Toodles!

9 Alison Fennell October 8, 2011 at 8:07 am

That landscape is so potent and autumnal! I love this season. Sounds like you have a rich mix of fun things to do – have a great weeekend – Alison

10 Sara October 8, 2011 at 8:10 am

I need those cardigan ideas this morning! First snow of the season in Denver today :)

11 Jewels October 9, 2011 at 11:21 am

Did you HAVE to tell me about the new Anthropology kids line??? My baby clothes addiction is growing up.

12 wordplayhouse® October 10, 2011 at 6:30 am

Stunning paintings by Mr. Ferney you linked to here.

13 Juan October 10, 2011 at 9:13 am

That wired article is really interesting. It goes to show that giving kids an over inflated ego really may not be the most healthy choice.

14 Kathleen October 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Perfect time to come to NYC – the weather here is getting better every day!

15 Kathleen October 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm

P.S. Your BIL’s paintings are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.