What to Wear to Kindergarten – Euro Edition

September 2, 2011

bettybacktoschool_2011_25

Picture 24 of 24

It’s Betty Blair’s turn! (Fun fact: Betty is our only child with no middle name.) If Betty was in the US, she would be attending Kindergarten. Here, she’ll be attending the final year of Maternelle.

For some reason that I can no longer remember, I hadn’t shopped for Betty in ages. Everything she owned was either too small or stained and worn. So her wardrobe received a pretty complete overhaul. She seems very happy with the new clothes and thought modeling for these shots was the bees knees. Betty loves school and I’m betting she’ll be the first Blair kid to be fluent in French.

Find the whole series here.

P.S. I included an image of Betty’s lunchbox. I picked it up at a tag sale and Betty was NOT interested. But we tied on a big red bow and that made it acceptable. : )

Sources:
- Orangey/red polkadot dress, houndstooth coat, jeans, pink pants, grey pullover with white bow, grey cableknit tights, navy stripe dress, red tights from H&M Kids.
- Charcoal grey cardigan and burgundy ruffle front henley from Zara Kids (last year)
- Purple leggings, tunic and scarf, from DPAM.
- Green/Blue booties from Joy Folie.
- Denim jumper from Petit Bateau.
- Red tiny-gingham top, teal scarf from Okaidi.
- Red shoes from Carrefore grocery store.
- Denim jacket from Target (2 years ago).

1 Mom in Mendon September 2, 2011 at 7:39 am

Hello, Pretty Betty. Love from Grandma in China!

2 Gayle September 3, 2011 at 9:14 am

Glad to hear your voice from China second hand. Adorable grandchildren.

3 shelley Taylor September 2, 2011 at 7:45 am

Okay, your kids are beyond adorable. I think Betty’s wardrobe might be my favorite–that stripey dress, the red mary janes, the teal scarf–Oh My! I have 2 boys and they do NOT appreciate my attempts to dress them stylishly. My 8yo is currently into dressing in one color at a time.

4 Tamara September 2, 2011 at 7:46 am

Very cute! I LOVE the first shot of her. Love the classics on little kids as well.

5 Lindsay - Oh La La Mum September 2, 2011 at 7:53 am

What style your little ones have! Such sweet little outfits on a very sweet-looking little girl! (And, aren’t French children’s clothes the best? They infuse the same sense of style in their children’s clothes that they do in their adult clothing. Love it!).

6 DebZorn September 2, 2011 at 7:54 am

So cute.

7 Chrissy September 2, 2011 at 7:59 am

She’s too too cute! I’m glad you stuck it out with that sweet little pail. :)

8 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Me too!

9 Allison Baker September 2, 2011 at 8:03 am

Betty’s houndstooth jacket and red polka dot dress are DARLING!! So cute!

10 Sandra Gonzales September 2, 2011 at 8:04 am

I would love Betty’s wardrobe in an adult size for myself. Please tell Betty her cuteness radiates over cyber space.

11 Jan @ Family Bites September 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

She could not be cuter! And I think she looks like a little Maude.

12 Pam B September 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

love the tights!!

13 barchbo September 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

Betty looks like such a young lady! The turquoise scarf is a lovely choice for her eyes and I LOVE her pink tights. The most stylish girl in the kindergarten/Maternelle!

14 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Maude and Olive are using the turquoise scarf too. I think it’s going to get lots of wear this year.

15 amy September 2, 2011 at 8:15 am

betty, can I borrow those cute grey-ish peep toe shoes? do you think they would fit me?

16 mary September 2, 2011 at 8:23 am

Love the style for these little ones! So european! Can you do a post of all of the ways to wrap a scarf? I think it would be neat to see how it is done in Europe right now.

17 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I can totally do a scarf tutorial. But I’d be faking it because I don’t really know what I’m doing. : )

18 julia g blair September 2, 2011 at 8:24 am

Happy Kindergarten, Betty darling. Je suis enchante’!

19 My Traveling Troop September 2, 2011 at 8:43 am

Very stylish outfits for a very pretty girl! Well done!

P.S. I love that lunch box. And the red bow is a nice touch. :)

Cheers,
Kristina

20 Alison September 2, 2011 at 8:50 am

Nothing more fun than seeing the clothes combinations a 5 year old girl will come up with. She’s got some great pieces!

21 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag September 2, 2011 at 8:51 am

Well isn’t this just the icing on the cake that has been this series Gabrielle! I adore that houndstooth jacket! And that shot towards the end with her little scrunched up nose…so darling! My daughter is entering Kindergarten as well, so bittersweet and exciting…. This has been such a fun week over here :)

22 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

The scrunched up nose photo is one of my favorites too!

23 Rebecca September 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

My daughter just started Kindergarten here in California, and I have such a hard time imagining her being willing to wear such stylish clothes. Her tastes run more to Hello Kitty and pink :) How much of your kids’ wardrobes are their choices and how much are yours? How do you handle kids’ strong opinions about clothes that don’t necessarily make for the greatest outfits? (Particularly with the younger kids). Who gets the final say? Very curious, thanks!

24 megwrites September 2, 2011 at 9:15 am

That red and white polka dot dress is so cute! I have a weakness for polka dots.

25 megwrites September 2, 2011 at 9:16 am

Oh, and I have the same question as the previous commenter. I can’t imagine my kids picking such stylish clothes. Do you pick out your kids clothes for them? How involved are they in the process?

26 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

This question has come up several times. Sounds like I need to do a post about it!

27 hyzen September 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm

That would be great! Looking forward to it…

28 sarah September 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

you just do such amazing things with them. will you tell us how much it cost to “clothe” betty for the school year, and will she get anything else? i want to invest in “good” clothes for my baby boy, but know that he will grow beyond them in a heart beat, so i hate paying 20-30 dollars for an item of clothing.

29 kroke96 September 2, 2011 at 9:46 am

SHE IS THE STAR! :) She is the best dressed! And the shoes! :) Love all combinations. :)
You go girl! :)

30 Deb September 2, 2011 at 9:54 am

I just bought my daughter the same red polka dot dress! Love it. Betty is beautiful and oh so fashionable!!

We’re starting kindergarten as well…next Tuesday here. So exciting!!

31 Betsy September 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

It’s so cute- where is it from?

32 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

It’s from H&M. Hopefully I’ll get the full list of sources up asap.

33 Ale September 2, 2011 at 10:03 am

Lovely clothes and the cutest face!!! The colour red really suits this little girl, but my favourite is the purple outfit. Not to talk about her shoes and boots, just fantastic. I love the ribbon on her lunchbox!

34 Lisa September 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

Betty is adorable. I love that you are predicting that she’ll be the first of the kids to be fluent in french. The houndstooth jacket with the bow detail on the back is to die for!

35 Tara Jane September 2, 2011 at 10:09 am

Betty can rock a skarf! Have fun in school kiddo. My little guy is getting ready for Kindergarten, such an exciting time.

36 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I can hardly believe it’s Kindergarten already! Betty was just 2 months old when I started this blog. Sigh.

37 Christine September 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Delightful! It is so wonderful to see children who “dress up a bit” to attend school. I think it might add a sense of reverence and respect for the learning that will take place there. I well remember, choosing my “school clothes” as well as my “play clothes” and was required to change after school each day to save wear and tear. Thank you for your beautiful blog… it is uplifting!

38 Amy W September 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

You have the cutest kids! Betty is adorable! I love those red shoes and I love that houndstooth coat!

39 Nicole September 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

I think every little (and big) girl needs a pair of red shoes..

40 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Agreed.

41 Kelli K September 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

Betty is so precious! Love the personality. Is it strange to you that she’s old enough for kindergarten?

42 whoorl September 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Beautiful Betty Blair!

43 Rebecca September 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

My day just became perfect since stumbling across your blog! My little family lived in Lyon 2008-2009. We packed up our 2 yr old and 6wk old w NO French fluency and it may have been the best year of my life. How amazingly fortunate you are!! I’m beyond envious and hope to come back daily for stories of the daily baguette and markets. The markets! I’m crying. Have a blast!!! Congrats!!

44 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for your comment, Rebecca. I’m glad you found me too!

45 christina September 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

ugh they are all so sweet! and it is good to hear that they like school etc. Funny to think that I bet they have 1,000′s of people worried about how they’ve adjusted, how their french is going, etc.!

46 Misty September 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Love that Betty had so much fun modelling and love all her outfits. The tin lunch pail is fantastic and the braid super-chic!

47 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

The chic braid is thanks to Maude.

48 Jane September 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

adorable!

49 Maria Ortiz-Cintron September 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm

LOVE! The shoes, the lunchbox and the scarf are my top faves, but everything, including the braid AND the model are totally adorable!!

50 Victoria September 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Great to see the new school wardrobes for all your children. I think you / they picked some great pieces. Have you found the clothing you chose to be radically different from what you’d have chosen back home I wonder?

51 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Good question, Victoria. I suppose much of what we purchased was determined by what stores we had access to. And I definitely shop at different stores than I did in the U.S.

52 Kage September 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Oh, I tried to get my 1st grader to buy/wear that red polka dot dress…. But she said NO!!!

53 Mary September 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Clearly, Betty is a natural born model. Looking good!

54 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hey Friends! My site is getting a bunch of traffic today and it’s running quite slowly. I’m working with my server host to try and improve things right this minute, but thank you for your patience in the meantime.

I know it’s a pain when the slideshows load slowly. Sorry!

55 Dia September 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Could she be any cuter? I don’t think so. Adorable from head to toe

56 Janelle September 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I have loved all the kids’ wardrobes, but seriously, she is BEYOND cute. What a little doll in her striped dress, purple corduroy jumper, teal scarf.. ahhh, just made my heart squeeze at how adorable she is.

57 Mrs. Cox September 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Love!! But I’m dying to know where you got the peep toe lovelies in the sixth picture…Please share!

58 Petra September 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Bon chance, Betty! Those pops of red and pink are just perfect.

59 curlyhairday September 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I am so enjoying this series! I lived in France for a year as a college student and while I had virtually no spending money, I was able to make small changes to my wardrobe that helped me feel I fit in a bit better. I always loved to see French children walking to school — just as bien habillé as the adults.

There are a few great scarf tutorials on the web.
This one is nice, and pretty simple:

Hermes has one too — oh la la!:

I am sure you talk about this somewhere on your site, but I’d love to know the inspirations for your children’s names. Are any of them family names? Why did you choose not to give Betty a middle name? And is she formally Betty or Elizabeth? She is a darling girl — a lot happening behind those eyes!

I feel like you are doing the world some good with this blog. I always leave happier. :)

60 Catherine September 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I love it all! especially the stripped dress and the pullover with the little bow (i would like one for myself)!

61 Colleen Schmitt September 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Betty Blair! Wonderful style. I think I like the jumper best, though the red shoes are fantastic. Good luck at school. :)

62 Bonny September 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I noticed that a few of her pieces were from H&M I just went shopping there for the first time ever, a few weeks ago and got my daughter some clothes for Kindergarten! She has the same orange/polkadot dress. She loves it! Do you let her pick out her clothes or is it a team effort? I LOVE her red shoes? Where did you get them?

63 Jen Russum September 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm

betty blair is just the cutest little thing in that red dress!

64 sara September 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. She is completely darling. And that first picture of her is a classic. So beautiful.

I am once again so impressed with the lot of you, learning French, completely becoming absorbed in your surroundings and apparently loving all of it. Kudos to you :)

65 Grace September 3, 2011 at 2:52 am

Your kids are all so adorable! Betty looks like such a sweetheart. I love these little What to Wear to School entries. I’m going back to college at the end of this month, and I’m going crazy deciding what to wear. One things for sure: fuchsia stockings and mustard wedges.

66 Marta September 3, 2011 at 5:34 am

Hi! I love these posts! My son will wear a uniform, so I can’t reallyshop much, but we’ll choose things to enjoy the weekends in style even if covered in sand or mud! :). All the best from Barcelona,
Marta

67 sarah September 3, 2011 at 6:50 am

I am excited to hear your sources! Love Betty!

68 Erin September 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

Picture #17 is fantastic – I adore Miss Betty’s spunk! All your kids look fabulous, tres French and stylish!

69 the emily September 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That polka-dot dress is to die for. What a little cutie! I didn’t know they made scarves for little people, but I think I need a few. I love it all.

70 kids clothes online September 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

She’s adorable and looks fantastic in these clothes, I love the traditional styling on children rather than high fashion mini me copies

71 kelleyn September 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm

She is darling! I hope she has a happy experience! I love the navy sweater with the sweet polka dot outfit.

72 Claudia September 5, 2011 at 4:47 am

Hi! I was just going through all these post, and I really I love each and every one of it ! Note just because you guys have taken time to write it, but reading about these adorable kids is so comforting. These comments triggers a nostalgic feeling. I remember the days I spent with my children

73 Corina September 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

Just back from our adventures…and my twins are starting school in 2 days. … The theme here tends toward “clown”. Your Betty Blair doesn’t need a middle name-she just needs to have her full name used at all opportunities! My MIL is a Betty without a middlename too. I will spend days catching up on my fav websites..your escpecially.

74 Emily September 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I was so happy when I saw the orange polka dot dress on your little girl. I bought the same one a couple weeks ago for my 5 year old starting Kindergarten tomorrow. Since it seems that you shop quite a bit from H&M how do you find their sizing to run in children’s clothes. Would you say true to size? Some items are tagged as 4-5, 5-6 etc. and others 2-4 and 4-6. I always get so confused. Would really appreciate your feedback!

75 Sandy September 6, 2011 at 11:03 am

She looks great! I hope you will do a similar post for Baby June too! It would be great to see how the Europeans dress their little ones (I’m guessing not plastered with Elmo, Micky Mouse, etc.). Have a great day!

76 Molly W. September 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Now I’m curious why Betty doesn’t have a middle name?!

77 liz September 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Betty Blair is tres chic! I would love to dress like her!

78 Mom in Mendon September 14, 2011 at 3:00 am

Gab, You wore a nearly identical denim jumper on your first day of school in Dixie. Do you have that picture or do I? xox Mom

79 Cathi September 15, 2012 at 8:51 am

Betty is a doll. I noticed in one of the Olive Us films that she has an adorable French accent too!