What to Wear to 4th/5th Grade – Euro Edition

September 1, 2011

olivebacktoschool_2011_09

Picture 9 of 23

Olive’s Turn! Olive Jean Blair is delightful. She adores color and we did our best to work it in amongst the navy and grey and neutrals. As you might guess, Olive’s wardrobe is peppered with hand-me-downs from Maude — but we always make sure to work in a few new things that are especially for her.

Today is the first day of school and she’s wearing the yellow tights outfit. It’s my favorite! The navy “jacket” with the buttons and zips is actually quite lightweight and functions as a shirt or a cardigan. She looks fantastic in the outfit (and in everything she wears).

What do you think? Still Euro-looking? Or is Olive’s wardrobe more “American”? Find the whole series here.

Sources:
- Military jacket by Z Enfant.
- Grey flannel pleated skirt, yellow tights, grey peacoat by H&M Kids.
- Polka dot socks, grey embellished tee from Zara Kids.
- Yellow stripe scarf, blue stripe neckerchief from Polarn O. Pyret.
- Jeans, purple/green outfit, cream dress by DPAM (purple/green outfit was from last year, she wore part of it, over the cream dress, in our Family Photos).
- Navy hi-tops and blue bow-tie flats from Eram.
- Western shirt from last year’s school clothes.

Hand-me-downs from Maude:
- Short-sleeve tie-front hoodie
- Denim button-down
- Grey boots (from Target)
- Black Adidas
- Creme Cardigan
- Black jeans (from Old Navy)
- Navy jumper, red stripe sweater and red knee socks (all from GapKids)

1 barchbo September 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

Olive looks so charming! She looks so stylish!

2 Erin R September 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

Very cute! My kids like looking at your kid’s style!

3 Aliesha September 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

Another beautiful, stylish child…love Olive’s wardrobe! I adore the yellow-tights outfit.

4 rachel schindler September 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

Kudos to Design Mom for turning hand-me-downs and a few new things into such CUTE outfits. Do they make the blue jacket in adult sizes? Love it and Olive’s pigtails, perfecto!

5 Makayla Sampson September 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

Love your children’s clothing for fall; they have such a classic look! Wish American kids/parents would do away with graphic t-shirts for school wear.
Could you do a post about what French women are wearing for the fall? Maybe your own wardrobe.

6 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:09 am

That’s a good idea, Makayla. Alas, I have yet to figure out anything to wear this fall. : )

7 Cassie September 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love how you and your kids put outfits together. Just a small suggestion, it would be nice to see a full body shot of each outfit to see how each piece works together in full. I loved how you did it last year, but then include these close ups as well because they are fabulous.

8 hyzen September 2, 2011 at 11:16 am

Ditto this, that’s one shot I did miss in this series. :)

9 Jane Lambert September 1, 2011 at 9:43 am

The yellow tights outfit is super cool – I would totally wear it myself!

10 Margaret September 1, 2011 at 10:05 am

That military jacket is adorable! Curious about the 4th/5th grade label- is Olive in a combined class?

11 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:12 am

Good question, Margaret. She’s not in a combined class, but she was in Colorado, and because of where her birthday falls, she’s been in different grade depending on which school district we live in and their deadlines. So, if we move back to the States mid-school year (like our original plan), we’re not sure if we’ll put her in 4th or 5th grade. It will depend on the school. For her sake, we’re keeping the label vague.

12 Genevieve September 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

The first outfit is adorable! Love the yellow accents!

13 Monica September 1, 2011 at 10:26 am

Love the first outfit, as everyone else seems too, and that adorable yellow scarf. very chic!

14 Monica September 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

Wow, she is a layering ninja. So awesome. :)

15 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:12 am

Hah! I “layering ninja” made me happy.

16 Sara September 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh my goodness, that navy jackets is FANTASTIC on her!! I love it, especially with the rest of the outfit. So cool. I think the grayed lavender outfit is so pretty, too…that and the scarf seem more Euro to me than the rest. Loving all of the kids’ outfits! How fun for them to have you as a mom to help them find their own styles!

17 amy September 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

I want that navy jacket! does it come in adult sizes?

18 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:13 am

I wish! I would grab one for me too.

19 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag September 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

Very Euro, I think! I love that last jumper outfit with the stripey shirt. That military jacket slays me! When your kids come back to the U.S., they are going to blow everyone away with their cool factor. :)

20 jess September 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

cute!
why is it 4/5th grade?

21 This girl loves to Talk September 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm

my girls in australia are in composite classes nearly every year because they go to a small school. Grades are mixed here often if you dont meet the required numbers for class which is around 25.

Also if you have 35 students to be in grade 1 or whatever you have 10 too many for one class but only 10 leftover will not get their own teacher or even if you spilt it half 15-20 students is considered too small (ie a waste of government money!!!) they wont allow a teacher to teach so few so they add extras the from grades below or above.

Its a balancing act our school does each year. I’ve found it to be a good experience esp when your children are the younger ones they get to learn higher material or if your kid is a little behind you can recommend they go in the composite class with a younger grade.

22 sarah September 1, 2011 at 11:35 am

the jacket is stunning. where to find it?
once again–wonderful styling. question–do they wear more than those outfits, or the same pieces mixed again and again? i might be tired of them by february!

23 the emily September 1, 2011 at 11:53 am

I think these are my favorite clothes so far. Gorgeous! I love the pleated skirt, yellow scarf, shirt with a bow on the side…love it all. She’s seriously cute. I think she looks so much like your husband, too.

24 Andrea@Fancy That! September 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I think it’s the layering and neutral base palette that seems so French/Euro to me. The pops of color really appeal to me.

25 Kate September 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I love the yellow tights and that great yellow and white scarf. Olive looks fantastic!

26 bdaiss September 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Gorgeous as always! Love the yellow tights. And the scarves.

27 Lisa September 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I agree with a previous post. I’d love to hear about what trends, style tips you see from the women for fall. Have you put together your fall wardrobe?

Olive is adorable! I love the boosts of color in her fall outfit selections.

28 Mrs. Kate B. September 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Gorgeous! More youthful than the Ralph and Maude, but still coordinated and lovely. I especially love the final outfit, with the red striped shirt and the red dotted socks. What a doll!

29 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:14 am

Thanks for saying that, Kate. I hope she does look more youthful. That was definitely the goal.

30 Nicole September 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love it! Its just lovely to see a little girl dress like a little girl. Those little grey “boots” are super cool!

31 miggy September 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Just so you know I’m stealing most of these looks for me …your kids are cute.

32 Carrie Corder September 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Question:
Did your kids or do your kids ever go through a phase when they wanted to wear characters. ie. cinderella, elmo, sponge bob etc., and if so, how did you handle that?

33 julia g blair September 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Oh, for style like Olive’s! Course, she looks good in anything!

34 Melissa L. September 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love all of the creative pairing! The last outfit is super cute! So fun!

35 J September 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

It just dawned on my that the french probably have a difficult time pronouncing your last name…or do they?

36 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:16 am

I don’t know. That’s a good question. I haven’t noticed any difficulty on the part of the French. Although I have the darndest time saying Blair with a French accent. : )

37 jessicamaylords September 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Okay, I’m going to come over there and steal that scarf from Olive, mmmk? Mmmk.

38 Kristy September 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Ooh, how I love and miss that girl! Delightful is exactly the word to describe her!

39 Ale September 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Olive is so cute! I want her lavender top, her grey boots (if they do them in adult size!), her military jacket and her stripey shirt. And the polka dots socks. And I just realized I need a yellow scarf! She must feel so confident, relaxed and comfortable in her outfits…

40 Meaghan September 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I’ve never commented before, but I really like your blog. I just wanted to say I really like Olive’s slouchy grey boots with the buttons because I have the same pair!! :) I bought them at a thrift store and they *might* be a kids size but I have small feet so I’m not sure! Love them though!

41 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:16 am

How fun!

42 Sylvia September 2, 2011 at 2:25 am

Wonderful outfits! I do have one question, though: do all your children honestly hand-pick these neutrals??? I have four children and I would love to dress them in [affordable] European sophistication but every time we shop together, they all gravitate toward the one hot pink/purple/rainbow/monster truck item in the store that is so blaringly tacky it just cannot be salvaged with any amount of surrounding beige accessories! And if I ever buy my daughters things they don’t pick themselves, they are much more likely to pass those items over when they dress in the morning and I feel like I’ve wasted $. Any suggestions? Should I just let them pick their sparkle unicorn T’s and be fine with it? :) How do you gently nudge your children in a less-traveled fashion direction?

43 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:18 am

If you don’t mind the sparkle T’s, then go for it! You definitely have to pick your battles. : )

44 Shan September 2, 2011 at 4:52 am

LOVING the “What to wear” series! I know baby June isn’t going “Back to school” but I’d love to see what she is wearing this fall too! ;o)

45 Andrea Van Unen-Smith September 2, 2011 at 6:06 am

Hi Gabrielle, your children all have beautifully sculptured scarves, can we get a How To from you?

46 Mostly Flummoxed September 2, 2011 at 7:16 am

Can you go ahead and get two more sets of those clothes? One in my size and one for my 5th grader. So friggin cute!! I love the yellow with the blue and grey. And I love the bright tights with the skirt, one of my favorite things I saw all over the streets of Paris.

47 Katy September 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

Can I have Olive’s wardrobe? Adorable, and so stylish. I’m jealous!

48 hyzen September 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Olive looks adorable, and her hairstyle is just perfect! To me she does look European, particularly in the last shot, which could be straight out of a vintage European move (I’m thinking German or Swedish, but could just as easily be French). All of these outfits are great–I agree these may be my favorites so far.

49 Misty September 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

All great outfits but the yellow tights one is my favorite as well! Beautiful girl!

50 Petra September 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I think Olive looks very French. She could be in a story or from a French movie, especially with her adorable hairstyle. She looks like a little girl, but still chic. Hope it’s a great year for her!

51 Colleen Schmitt September 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Olive, you look wonderful! I especially love the gray shirt with yellow scarf. Good luck in school! :)

52 Carrie September 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love how Olive’s outfits are just as fashionable as her older siblings but still have a younger feel. She is absolutely adorable and you can feel her style pushing through – love the neutrals and hot pops of colour. Going to show this to my daughter who is going into grade 4 in Canada – Olive’s layering is what I really want her to notice. Such a great way to let individuality come through. What a fun process!

53 l o v e l y t h i n g s September 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

She looks adorable! So happy and confident in her choices.

54 jessicamaylords September 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I remember watching Empire Records before I was allowed to, and seeing how awesome Liv Tyler looked in her sweater, plaid skirt and combat boots. That fall, my mom let me get combat boots, an olive green plaid skirt, and a green sweater. I wore that outfit the same day of school and felt like a rock star; it was amazing. I’m so thankful my mom spent time making sure I felt cool for the first day of school. It made me feel grown-up and pretty and self-confident.

Keep it up Gabby, you’re doing great.