What Is Your Favorite Memory?

September 27, 2011

I’ve watched this clip more times than I care to admit. Each time, my eyes well up, my heart skips a beat or two, and a flood of memories rush back to me.

If you closed your eyes right now and thought of your favorite memory, what would it be? I’d love to hear about it. Just promise you won’t make me cry!

I’ve never been one to live in the past, but this was pretty wonderful, wasn’t it? Kisses to Refinery 29 for making my day. And if you’re interested in similar videos, I found a few here asking New Yorkers, Louisianians, and Londoners where they’d like to wake up tomorrow and what they wish will happen by the end of the day. So brilliant.

P.S. — Another video that still amazes me.

1 Amy3 September 27, 2011 at 7:26 am

My favorite memory is from a trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park years ago. My husband and I got up took a run, climbed Chimney Tops trail, and then biked around Cades Cove. It was crazy, amazing, fun. Something I’m sure I’ll never have the physical stamina to do again, which is part of what it makes it so wonderful – completely unrepeatable.

2 Emily September 27, 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh, this is such a great series. I’m partial to the one they did in Dublin and asked 50 people if they had any regrets. Total tears. Best memory? My dad waking me up to run down to the field and see millions of fireflies.

3 Damaris September 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Emily I love your memory. Seriously, it made me cry.

4 Sarah September 27, 2011 at 7:30 am

I totally identify with that young man at the end – you’ve made my day and now I’ll be thinking about my favorite memories all morning.

Mine is taking a shower with my young baby – he is a very energetic fellow and he was so quiet and calm in the shower. He just wanted to hug me, put his head on my chest, and look at my face. We were so warm and happy – it was the first time it felt like he was old enough to feel how much I love him. I took a few pictures once we got out, of us in our towels, because I wanted to remember that moment for the rest of my life.

5 Aliesha September 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I’ve been thinking about this all day–such a sweet, sweet memory!

Mine is of my wedding–my grandma has Alzheimers and really has almost no memory left at all. She attended but I didn’t think she knew what was going on. But, when we went around to greet people during “peace”, she gave me a big hug and said, “I love you”. I knew that in that moment at least, she knew me, and she loved me.

6 Anna September 27, 2011 at 7:35 am

I love how so many of the memories were childhood moments that weren’t “created” but rather just parents loving their children. It’s a good reminder!

7 Amorette Gwynn September 27, 2011 at 7:42 am

After missing our cruise ship and hustling to find a hotel in room in Rome (where we slept in towels after washing out our clothes), we got up, walked outside and at the end of the block, turned left and there was the Coliseum…I have never experienced seeing such history in person!

8 Ris September 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

Thank you for posting this video. I just moved from Chicago and watching this video made me cry! In a good way though. It’s a wonderful city full of lovely people and I needed to see this today. Thank you.

9 Mary September 27, 2011 at 7:53 am

What a wonderful video! The guy at the beginning is the best….big smiles feeling all the wonderful memories flood back. That’s how I feel right now. Too hard to choose just one. Singing songs around a campfire with my large and awesome extended family. Those middle-of-the-night nursing sessions (yes I was exhausted, but is there anything sweeter than snuggling a newborn?). One that always jumps out at me is watching shooting stars with my sister and cousins. We “slept” out in my dad’s yard, and we saw the biggest shooting star EVER. We all jumped up screaming, and we were so excited we didn’t sleep all night.

10 Jessie September 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

My favorite memory is kind of a montage of moments from visiting my paternal grandmother every summer growing up. At least once every summer she and I would sit on her porch swing together and she would tell me stories about my dad, who passed away before I was born. I especially liked the stories of him as a kid, and how he was a curious kid just like I was.

11 Heather September 27, 2011 at 8:02 am

Wow! I think what strikes me most is that answering this question for yourself isn’t just fun and heart-warming, but actually unlocks the secret to happiness. Identifying which moments in our past have made the greatest impression can really clarify what’s important, what we strive for, and what we dream of for our children.
And isn’t it awesome that it’s often the simplist things that brought the most joy?

12 jodi September 27, 2011 at 8:05 am

Wow, that video is so great. Now I’m going through all my memories :) One of my favorites… My dad is a marine law enforcement officer and once he took us on one of the boats from work. He took it way out off the shore of the Florida Keys and when there was nothing around us but water, he went as fast as he could and I still remember the wind blowing past my ears and seeing nothing but blue skies, sunshine and crystal clear water.

13 Tali September 27, 2011 at 8:06 am

Wow. Thank you for sharing this.
It’s impossible to top the birth of my daughters, but one of my favorite memories is when my best friend and I had hiked to the very top of a mountain in Colorado and we sat there marveling at the beauty of it all. She told me to look around and then close my eyes to take a mental picture. I did. I remember being so in tune to myself and the world around me for one of the first times in my young life. I was 19. I’ll never forget this memory with my lovely friend.

14 Victoria September 27, 2011 at 8:08 am

I answered you with a blog post :) All linked back, of course. Thanks so much for this lovely idea! It made me feel so lovely inside.

15 Erin September 27, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thank you for this! It’s made my day. I grew up going to the sand dunes on Lake Michigan and my favorite memory is taking my children there for their first time. It’s magical!

16 Amber, theAmberShow September 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

In 2007 I found this little, dirty dog with a broken back on a beach in Puerto Rico that had been abandoned. My Spanish is terrible, but I called around until I got him rescued and fixed up.

Two months later, after he’d recovered from surgery, he was well enough to fly up to New York, to me.

Collecting a crate with a little, scared dog inside and taking him home was THE BEST.

17 stacey September 27, 2011 at 9:07 am

thank you for posting this videro…it has completely made my day! it makes me feel incredibly thankful that i have so many fond memories!

18 Janet Oliver September 27, 2011 at 9:20 am

Along these lines, there’s a Japanese movie you might enjoy, called “After Life.”

19 Anna M September 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

One of my favorite memories is when I was studying in France and our group was traveling. We stopped off at some rocky ravine to eat a lunch of bread, cheese, fruit, and meats and everyone dispersed. I sat on a large rock alone, looking at the bridge overhead and all of these gorgeous rocks and water and I was overcome with the feeling that life was incredible, that I was loved by someone greater than myself, and that this world is magnificent.

20 KarinS September 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

Oh Gabrielle – I love this video for so many reasons! The main one being I lived in 10 years in Chicago with my husband. Our daughter was born there. So I have tons of wonderful memories in Chicago.

21 Emily September 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

This video had me within the first few seconds. I grew up just north of Chicago. The shots of the city alone bring back such good memories. My favorite memory was surprising my brother on the eve of his high school graduation. I flew from Raleigh, North Carolina, to Salt Lake City. I had made such a big deal in our phone conversations leading up to that about how bummed I was that I couldn’t be there, just so he wouldn’t suspect anything. He was at home, at the computer with his back turned when I went to his doorway and said, “Hello, stranger.” The look on his face when he turned around was priceless. It was awesome.

22 Jessica September 27, 2011 at 10:31 am

This is so great, to revel in gratitude like this.

My favorite memory is watching my husband hold our newborn daughter in the delivery room for the first time. It was early morning and the sun was rising and shining through the window blinds behind him, bathing him in the warmest light you could ever imagine. He had the most beautiful and content smile on his face as he looked at his new daughter, he was glowing! I had never felt so grateful, so lucky, so relieved in all my life as I watched him with our new daughter that morning. Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes.

Thank you for making me think of this today! I still feel that grateful and that lucky. Those feeling never left me. Gratitude is the most amazing thing, isn’t it? The more you are grateful, the more things you see to be grateful for. Life is so beautiful when you really look.

23 Kate September 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

I feel so lucky to say that I can’t pick just one. Thank you for posting this, so much to be thankful for and its great to have a reminder to just enjoy.
The first few days at home with my husband and our brand new baby girl ranks pretty high, those were magic moments.
Have a great day and thank you for getting me thinking.
k

24 Meg September 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

The wonderful thing about this video is that it remided me that I am so blessed. I have so many great memories that it is difficult to even narrow it down to a few…

25 Andrea September 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

Getting up after my parents had gone to bed and meeting my sister in the long hallway between our rooms to dance. We thought we were so cool, being up and active while they were asleep!

26 Nicole K September 27, 2011 at 11:45 am

I love the mom and son — how great to be able to share in each other’s lives!

My favorite memory is being about 4 and being waking up from an unexpected nap with my mom. Warmth & love. She made taking a nap seem like the biggest accomplishment. For her, it probably was:)

27 justaub September 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

Thank you for such a thoughtful post. i needed this…one of those weeks where i can’t seem to get out of my own head. i started getting emotional when i watched kristen’s speech yesterday. http://www.motherhooduncensored.net/motherhood_uncensored/2011/08/remember-the-time-i-read-my-post-in-front-of-thousands-of-people-and-started-bawling-well-now-theres.html

Your link to the fifty people in chicago got me going again and then I just lost it when i checked out the fifty people in dublin…did i mention i’m siting in my cubicle (what am i doing?)

My favorite memory is sitting in the way back of my mom’s vista cruiser-yeah, the station wagon with the wood panelling , with my head on the speaker and having a permanent love for all music etched into my brain.

28 whitneyingram September 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Two things come to mind.

1- Being at Lake Powell summer after summer when I was growing up. The red cliffs, the boat, the water. The smell of sunscreen always reminds me of Lake Powell.

2- Parasailing with my husband in Hawaii 5 years ago. It was so peaceful to be up in the air. Down below the water was bright blue and we could see the dolphins jumping. It was magic.

29 Katie September 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love this video – memories have been coming to me all day since I watched it :)
Without a doubt, my favorite memory is my 2nd date with my husband: We were at a street festival. At one point we sat down on the steps of a church to rest. Somehow, I knew at that moment I was going to marry him. I later learned that he had the same thought while we were sitting there, and it’s the spot where he eventually proposed. While the proposal while amazing (as were our wedding and having our baby!) there is something so surreal yet vivid about the sense of peace I felt when I knew somehow that the near-stranger next to me would be around to see the rest of my life story.
Thanks for sharing this video & bringing that memory back!

30 Bonny September 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

My favorite memory is giving birth to my daughter. It was like nothing else mattered. Nothing. Except for that little girl. It was like the world had stopped and the only thing that existed was me and that tiny new baby….

31 Sharon September 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Sitting in twilight-lit room, nursing my daughter, listening to the same beautiful lullaby songs we did every night. The breeze was blowing through the curtains. She held so tightly to my finger and her eyes never left mine. It was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. I knew the time of breastfeeding was coming to a close soon and she would be my last child. I’ll treasure that moment for as long as I live.

32 Bonny September 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

P.S. What’s yours?

33 Dee September 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

My favorite memory is of my brother and I running in circles around my grandmother’s house with our dog following along.

34 the emily September 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Telling my husband I was pregnant with our first baby. A few years of infertility made me think it would never happen. It was such a shock to see the double line on that test.

35 Michelle September 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm

The day my husband and I brought our firstborn, a little girl, home from the hospital. We stood over her tiny bassinet to watch her sleep, just marveling at her and how we were a family. Then we both looked at each other and started to cry, there was so emotion, it was overwhelming. I thought my heart would burst.

Second favorite memory (my favorite until 2007 when the above memory occurred), was when I beat my dad at the game Kick The Can. Every summer, my dad would play with me, my siblings and the neighborhood kids. No one ever beat him. He played all-out and we all had one goal: to out run him! Finally, one summer night, my dad was a few houses away and I took off sprinting with all my might and kicked the can just a second before he could jump over it. I felt like a hero. My dad laughed and laughed and I talked about it for years.

36 stephanie September 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Oh, so many wonderful memories. The one that comes to mind reading this post is my grandmothers hands. My grandma always had her hair done up in a french twist and always had her dentures in. She was almost 90 and had a stroke and was in a care facility. Most times she didn’t recognize me. I remember one visit vividly. I was walking to her room and saw a old woman in a wheelchair, her hair pulled into a thin knot at the base of her neck. Her mouth withered and wrinkled without any teeth. I didn’t recognize this woman until I saw her hands. The hands that had cared for and loved me most of my life. They taught me to sew and embroider, to cook and clean and iron. Brushed my hair and soothed my hurts. I loved her spotted, wrinkled and vein ridden hands. They told so many stories. I don’t ever think of my grandmother without seeing her hands.

37 Tasha September 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Okay, now I’m crying:) Beautiful! I just lost my Bapci (Polish) at the age of almost 99…my heart aches for her, but your story reached out to me. I wanted to put into words, but cannot, the beauty of this woman. I shared sewing, cooking and laughing and so many things – so MANY, too many to write – with her. I recall one morning waking up to find two pairs of “cool” shorts waiting for me as I forgot to pack! She must have sewed most of the night – or the very early morning with her tea. But the hands – so crooked and frail, I used to give her manicures until a few months ago:) Her mind was sharp until her passing, so it was odd for me to see her so confused and “lost” the last day I visited her – her last day on earth. My sister and I shared that night with her. It was her hands that I caressed and kissed and grasped as she slipped away from me. I realized that we had the same hands during our moments alone, imagining her young, and full in body as I am now – and it felt good to see us so connected in this way during this time. I cherish this memory.

38 kate September 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

There isn’t one favourite but watching the videos made me try to think of just one and I can’t possibly. It’s my 42nd birthday today and I’ve been thinking over past memories and I am so lucky that there are so many great ones. Holding my mom’s hand and her smell, dad teaching me to ski, family road trips and morning snuggles, warm sand on my feet, traveling through Europe and Japan, my honeymoon, the births of my children, and every time I learned something I didn’t know. Thank you for making my day. I’ve followed your blog and your family’s adventures and what always resounds for me is your positive outlook and obvious joy in showing others what you’ve discovered – you pass it on.

39 Jo September 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I came across your blog this morning, watched this video then spent the rest of the morning writing a list of all my favourite memories. I have really enjoyed today. Thank-you.

My favourite memory? Riding to the shops as a kid on the front of my Dad’s bike, the night before Christmas, and him telling me ‘listen for Santa’s sleigh bells, can you hear them?’. I remember looking up at the stars and listening so hard, with every cell in my body to hear those bells. :)

40 Katie Morse September 28, 2011 at 3:57 am

Such a wondeful video, I loved the look on the faces of all those people as they contemplated the memories, sure joy and happiness makes people so beautiful.
This has given me a great idea for a Christmas Gift to my mother, I might just win the “make mom cry award”.
How do you pinpoint one memory? Nope I don’t think I can. I’m going to agree with Kate on this one.

41 bdaiss September 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

Oh Chicago, my home, how I miss you and your wonderful people.

And this makes me feel so blessed. So many wonderful memories. The neighborhood where I grew up, my extended family, my wedding, our trip to Italy, my kids. I don’t know how anyone could pick just one.

PS – on the reminiscing vein, have you seen this site: http://dearphotograph.com/ It’s genius and makes me nostalgic. It also makes me cry at times.

42 Zina September 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

The video makes me think I should spend lots of time at lakes with my kids. (Or toy stores, either one.) :) And come to think of it, since Chicago doesn’t have mountains and Utah does, we can probably just keep spending time in the mountains and that should do the trick.

I noticed only one guy said when his son was born, and I wonder how many of that answer they had to edit to come up with a variety of answers for the film. My kids’ births and my wedding day would be my immediate answers.

43 Zina September 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Bdaiss, that’s a great site. Thanks for linking to it.

44 Ana October 14, 2011 at 2:16 pm

My favorite memory is coming back from home school every day in elementary school and my granddad waiting for me at the bus stop. I can still see him…

45 Deborah September 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for making me stop and count all of my blessings! Of course I can’t think of just one…
I remember floating in the water down the shore so long that when I went to sleep it was as if I was still in the water. I’d open my eyes and see the bead board ceiling in my Gram’s house and quickly shut them again so I could keep floating.

Michelle’s story brought tears to my eyes…I was thinking of a similar scene, when we brought our son home after a brief stay in the NICU. We were in our living room, and our son was sleeping in an old fashioned wooden cradle. It was as if nothing in the world existed except us and our son. After the time in the hospital with all the noises of machines and nurses, the rest of the world was suddenly silent, but for a moment.

46 Sagor Saha November 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

My favorite memory is tour of Cox’s Bazar. I love & like this place most. Every year I go there in December in winter .Three years ago I went there with my family. Last year I went there with my friends. But this year I will go there with my wife. Cox’s Bazar is my favorite place. If I go there, I stay there minimum 3/4 days. Generally I stay there a luxury Hotel. There are many hotel situate in Cox’s Bazar now. But I always like Honeymoon Resorts Hotel. This is a five star hotel. There are many beach in Cox’s Bazar. Labony Point & Shugondha Beach is most of them. I always swim in this beach. Because this is the big beach in Cox’s Bazar. Not only we but also many foreigner visit to our country for looking Cox’s Bazar. Buddho Bihar is a another charming place in Cox’s Bazar. I went there with my family members. I think the position of Cox’s Bazar is 1st in Asia. We & our country fell proud for Cox’s Bazar.