Pocket Hearts

September 1, 2011

It’s the first day of school. I’m so nervous for everyone! I hope they have a wonderful day and come home excited for the new year.

I saw these felt pocket hearts and think they’re adorable. You slip them in your kids pockets when you send them off, so they can carry a tangible bit of love and comfort while they’re away. I think they’re sweet. How-to here.

Do you do anything special for your kids on the first day? Maybe slip a joke into their lunchbox?

P.S. — Here’s a post about our school experience in France. And here’s another one.

1 Michelle Z. September 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

My sons take their lunches to school, and I always put one Hershey’s ‘Kiss’ in each lunch, so they can have a kiss from mom while they are at school. BTW…they are 17 and 7, and the 17 year old told me yesterday that he still looks for the Hershey’s ‘Kiss’ first when he opens his lunch. That might just be his love of chocolate, but I prefer to think that he’s looking for my love :).

2 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:19 am

Love that, Michelle! So sweet.

3 megwrites September 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

This is so sweet. My kindergartener likes for me to kiss her hand and press it to her heart, and then she does the same for me (she got the idea from the picture book The Kissing Hand).

4 Stephanie September 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

Oh, how I love The Kissing Hand…tear jerker alert! On my daughter’s first day of kindergarten they read the book then traced their own hands onto construction paper & glued hearts onto the palm. She just started 5th grade and I still have it…and every time I come across it I still cry!

5 aimee @ smilingmama September 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

Good luck to the Blair kiddos! I bought a few packages of valentine’s stickers on clearance last February and have been slipping one into my new kindergartner’s lunches for the past two weeks (already the 2nd week of school for us!). I love seeing it on his shirt at the end of the day.

6 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:20 am

Great idea, Aimee! I hope I remember to stock up in February.

7 Adventures In Babywearing September 1, 2011 at 9:49 am

Such a sweet idea. I have one of those bead-melted hearts (you know you iron them to melt?) that I carry with me whenever I fly. Carter made it for me. But I hadn’t thought about sending them with something like that. We just took photos on our first day! http://www.adventuresinbabywearing.com/2011/08/first-day.html

Steph

8 Pam B September 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

Thanks for posting the links to the school posts! Interesting!

9 Stephanie September 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

When my daughter was in preschool, instead of getting her a themed lunchbox I packed her lunch in white paper bags that I decorated and drew on with pictures that had special meaning for that particular day or season. Sometimes we spent some time in the morning decorating her lunch bag together. I’m so glad I kept some of those for her memory box!

10 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:20 am

Love that, Stephanie!

11 invitation consultants September 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

what a sweet idea!

12 Sara September 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hope all of your kids have a fantastic first day!!

I love those little hearts. If my daughter had pockets in her school clothes, I would love to put something like that in. Last year, we did the “Kissing Hand” every morning, but so far this year it’s just been occasional. I do put a new note with a cute sticker in her lunch bag every day, though, which she really loves.

13 alexis September 1, 2011 at 10:54 am

When I was a little girl my mom gave me a small piece of rose quartz. She told me to keep it in my pocket and touch it, or hold onto it, whenever I missed her. I honestly don’t remember being scared (but, I’m sure I was at times), but I still have the small stone on my dresser today. My daughter is only two, so school is a few years off—I wonder what special routine or tradition we will create together.

I hope all your kids have a great first day! Bonne chance les enfants Blair!

14 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:21 am

How neat, Alexis! I love that you still have the rock.

15 Janet Oliver September 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

Once I put a letter from an “alien” into my son’s lunch box, but I don’t remember what it said! I’m pretty sure my son was savvy enough to figure out who really wrote it.

16 bdaiss September 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Aw, I love this idea! I also love Kiki Creates little love notes.

17 Tejal Mehta September 1, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Love these ideas!! My daughter is in the 1st grade this year and she is really into jokes. I put a new joke in to her lunchbox every day. She loves to share the jokes with her friends at lunch. It’s something that she looks forward to every day!

18 Design Mom September 2, 2011 at 3:21 am

Such a fun tradition!

19 Helen September 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Thank you so much for featuring my hearts – what a thrill to be on one of my very favorite blogs. Hope the day went well. x

20 jamie @ egg2cake September 2, 2011 at 8:09 am

Hi Gabrielle!

Ever hear of the book, Napkins: Lunch Bag Notes from Dad? I first discovered it a few years ago. I’m a big writer and documenter and was super impressed with the poems that were written daily; however I was doubtful that I could realistically keep that pace! Being a graphic designer, I have no shortage of paper ephemera like swatch books, annual reports, photography tear sheets, etc. so I started cutting out hearts from intriguing images (using a cookie cutter). My daughter especially enjoys animals so there were plenty of those but I think she also gained a visual appreciation for images in addition to knowing that Mama was thinking about her! This went on through kindergarten and honestly, I fell off the wagon last year. But wouldn’t you know it, just this week, she asked if I would do it again. It’s the little things that matter and this proves it! Happy schooling!

21 a spoonful of yumm September 2, 2011 at 11:20 am

such a cute idea ! love it….

22 Shelby September 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

I hope your kids had a great first day! We are an American family also living overseas and my first-born (a brand new 2nd grader !) started her schooling in an international setting… new to school, in a new country equalled a lot of new (and a lot of nerves). Her and I have developed several traditions, but our favorite is to create little love notes to each other that we carry throughout the day. For her first day this year, I made her a permanent ‘love note’ to carry with her in her pocket out of little scrap fabric and some embroidery (here’s a little peek: http://www.anewbohemia.com/2011/08/i-carry-your-heart-with-me.html).

23 Katie Morse September 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for this great idea. I have found felt and am going to make these for my kids. We have just moved to Spain and Friday is the first day of school. They are so nervous, thankfully it is a bilingual school, so hopefully the transition will be a little smoother. Hope things went well for your kids.

24 Amy September 8, 2011 at 9:11 am

Love this idea. My little one just started preschool and doesn’t take his lunch yet but I loved reading all of the great ideas here. Thank you for sharing!

25 Bérangère Bouffard September 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

Always did. Just a little piece of paper or sticky note with a hi, hello, heart, hugs and kisses or happy face (wow lots of positive messages start with H in english!! Haha!) and maybe a quick doodle. Lately I add some stickers I found on sale. Nothing fancy, wouldn’t want to set a high standard that I can’t keep up with in the morning. I just remember having it sometimes from my mother and it stayed with me. I did it with my first (who is now 22) and sort of stopped before she even reached the end of elementary school (makes me sad now that I think about it). I’m continuing the tradition with my 5 yrs old who is just starting. Sometimes Papa will take over and draw something. We’re both illustrators so we enjoy the mini challenge of not over thinking it and keeping it super simple! ;)