Paper Teacups

September 22, 2011

Did you see these paper teacups by Ann Wood? I think they’re wonderful to look at. She shares the template and tutorial here.

I suppose they’re meant to be purely decorative, but I would probably end up storing tiny earrings or kid treasures (like pretty pebbles) inside. Do you ever make things just because they’re beautiful? Or do you gravitate to more practical projects and crafts?

P.S. — Free modern-looking paper toys and free vintage-looking paper toys.

1 Ashley B. September 22, 2011 at 7:25 am

I ALWAYS make things just because they’re beautiful, and I hope for the best that they’re practical. :)

2 Design Mom September 23, 2011 at 3:20 am

I love that thinking, Ashley.

3 Amanda September 22, 2011 at 7:48 am

Last year I spent hours making paper snowflakes and a paper chain to decorate my dorm room for Christmas. I should have been doing homework, so it wasn’t practical at all, but it was beautiful!

4 Design Mom September 23, 2011 at 3:20 am

Sounds gorgeous, Amanda!

5 All Unwound September 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

Very unique and quirky. Love them. In a way I think they are practical, they won’t break like a china teacup collection.

6 Kristen E September 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

These are so fun! :) I’m somewhere in between – I make mostly practical things, but I only make them if they’re also beautiful. ;)

7 Design Mom September 23, 2011 at 3:21 am

That’s exactly how I approach the gifts my kids make for each other for Christmas.

8 Dottie September 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

Something about this made me smile from ear to ear. This made me want to break out my old watercolors and try painting.

Thank you for a much need breath of fresh creativity!

9 Lindsey Whitney September 22, 2011 at 10:46 am

Wow, these are so lovely! I might try to make them just for fun. My mom loves tea cups and tea pots. This might be a unique gift for her, IF i could pull it off!

10 Arya September 22, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love this idea…my daughter wants a fairy tea party for her birthday (2 days after christmas) and this will be perfect for decorating and hold the little fairies that will sit around the table for tea…

11 Design Mom September 23, 2011 at 3:21 am

Adorable idea, Arya! These seem perfect for a little party.

12 Heather September 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Beauty for the sake of beauty is what keeps ideas fresh and exciting when it comes time to make something practical!

My mom and I collect tea cups and I think this is such a neat project!! I’m adding it to my list of possible holiday gifts! Thanks for posting!

13 cheryl burchett September 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I once made a ceramic alice in wonderland tea set for my daughter’s birthday…. she was turning 2! It is really beautiful and I just had this idea of a tea pot shaped like the white rabbit’s house with alice bursting out of it and turning it into a teapot using her arms as the handle and spout. I couldn’t explain it and my daughter is completely aware that it exists, but the tea pot is on a shelf and it is beautiful and it is all her’s! You can see it in progress here http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-classroom.html and here http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2010/05/this-week.html and here. Hmmm apparently I never posted a finished picture on my blog. I may have to do that soon.

14 cheryl burchett September 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Ooops left off that last link. Here are pictures of the Alice in Wonderland Teacups in progress. http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2010/04/2-teacups.html

15 anordinarywoman.net September 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Oh they are soooo beautiful, no matter paper or not. I would have them stacked like that on a shelf – pure beauty. Thanks for sharing:)

16 Julie August 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I love these. Perfect for my soon to be 6 year old daughter’s party invites. Just so happens our theme is Tea with Mr. Tumnus, the faun from Narnia. The details of the party will be on the napkin packed into a pretty box.

17 khelli May 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I love these… so delicate and sweet. But my hands are so big and I kno wI can never make them, but I can think of several fun things to do with them! I would LOVE to have about 5 of them to make a mobile out of for my new kitchen! How charming would that be?? Or party favors for an ” Alice in Wonderland” type tea party…… any number of things you could do with this. Paint them with multiple layers of clear sealer and use a few on a door wreath………. oh the ideas…