Flick Chicks

September 28, 2011

I read this article by Mindy Kaling for the New Yorker today (I saw it being passed around on Twitter) and couldn’t stop laughing! It’s about female stereotypes in Hollywood. One of my favorite lines is the last one:

“There are, like, nine people in the entire world who are architects, and one of them is my dad. None of them look like Patrick Dempsey.”

It makes me excited for her book. Did you read the article? Are there any stereotypes she missed?

1 Zina September 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Mindy Kaling is very funny.

She forgot the female lead who works in a bakery, although that character often fits into the ethereal weird manic pixie mold. Also the worn-down and under-appreciated but spunky and frank-talking girl who works in a greasy spoon diner.

Also, if he is not an architect, the man has to have a cute job like restoring old boats, working in an antique printing press, training horses, or, yes, being a museum curator.

2 mandi@herbanhomestead September 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm

That article is great! And her book sounds hilarious!

The only female role I think I can add is the quirky sister. The one that is younger, dresses like a 19 year old (regardless of her age), and can’t quite get herself together. Yet she dispenses advice like she is a guru.

3 allysha September 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm

The sweet nerdy girl with a ponytail and glasses who is actually a gorgeous knockout with great legs.

I laughed at this article, too, and I actually hardly ever watch movies. The stereotypes are just so there!

4 christina September 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm

yes! and when she removes her glasses – wowza! suddenly all the men (especially her best friend, who is probably an architect) realise that she’s drop dead gorgeous and not so nerdy after all

5 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:12 am

Because of course, glasses can’t be attractive. : )

6 suzanne @ pretty swell September 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Love her! Off to read it right now …

7 Catie September 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm

This article was so great. As a (female) architect it’s pretty funny to watch women swoon over my male co-workers … they don’t look like Patrick Dempsey, but they do wear a lot of black :)

8 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:14 am

That’s hilarious, Catie.

9 Jen B September 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for referencing the article. Mindy has a great sense of humor.
But I confess, I cannot think of a movie in which Patrick Dempsey plays an architect. I must not get out enough!

10 the emily September 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm

So funny. I love her! I have to say I was a little surprised to learn she wrote for the Office a few years ago. I just identify her so much with her character it was hard for me to realize that she’s…not Kelly. My husband loves her, he’s always reading me her funny tweets. I’ll have to pass this along.

11 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:15 am

I didn’t know she wrote for The Office either, until I read the article. She’s so talented!

12 ann-marie September 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thank you for sharing this! It was a perfect lift to a busy afternoon. Thanks!

13 Funkytime September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

this is too funny!!!

14 Ana September 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Left to read it and came back to say THANK YOU for sharing!

15 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:13 am

So glad you read it, Ana!

16 hyzen September 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Ok, she’s hilarious. BUT, the other 8 architects must live in my neighborhood (for some unknown reason, the place is lousy with them), and at least a couple of them could give Patrick Dempsey some decent competition. So maybe she just hasn’t met all the architects yet. Everything else is dead on, though. ;)

17 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:13 am

What a cool neighborhood you must have. Are all the houses awesome?

18 hyzen September 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

I will say they’re pretty awesome–most are turn of the century brick victorians (my house turned 100 this year! and it’s one of the newer homes in the neighborhood), with lots of original carved woodwork and stained glass and such–but it’s still a very affordable area in the city, so maybe that’s why we get all the cute young architects….

19 brooke September 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

great funny read, but that yes I do know a real architects and he is handsome too.

20 Christina @ Hair Romance September 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

thanks for sharing! Too funny, and those stereotypes just get reworked in so many flicks!

21 jennifer September 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I love the wallpaper in the background, I wonder where it’s from.

22 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:12 am

Great question, Jennifer. Anyone know a source?

23 Karyl September 28, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I sooooo love her in the Office. Such a talented lady. I hope she gets to write that successful chick flick. Thanks for sharing!!

24 Elizabeth September 28, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I haven’t read it yet, but it sounds hilarious. I have to say, though, that I was in the hospital once with my daughter at UCLA — and the resident pediatrician walked in with her posse of students, etc. — I swear to the good Lord above that each looked as if they had walked off of a television set. It was astounding — a cliche come to life.

25 Design Mom September 29, 2011 at 5:11 am

Right out of Grey’s Anatomy!

26 justaub September 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

i once submitted to a small but invasive and probably unneccesary procedure just to be able to see a cute doctor again…happy to say i’ve grown up and rejoined reality since then :)

my point is—there are soooo not as many good looking doctors as tv/movies would have us think.

27 Gayletrini September 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I love her she is so dry!
I do actually know quite a few great looking architects… one of them being my cousin albeit not Patrick Dempsey but close LOL

28 Brittany September 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm

wow, i actually laughed out loud reading this! i’m glad i put her book on hold from the library; can’t wait!

29 adventures in babywearing September 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I loved that article!! I shared it on FB the other day, too.

PS I just saw The Avett Brothers tonight in concert. Amazing! I think you might have been one of the first people I knew that mentioned them once?

Steph

30 Emily September 29, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I admit, last night I watched about 20 minutes of “The Ugly Truth” while I was waiting for something else to come on TV and thought “Who are these people?!!” and “Why would I want to spend an evening with any of them?!!”
Loved the article!

31 Sara September 30, 2011 at 6:56 am

Totally hysterical article!! Thanks for posting!!

I so agree…I always wondered about all the women working in art galleries! And SO annoyed at the bone skinny girls who eat everything…and what allysha said-the girl who is gorgeous but supposed to look nerdy just because she is wearing glasses and her hair is messily “done” instead of all sleek.

The funny thing for me is that I actually love these movies. I will watch any and every one of them, no matter how bad they are (just have to wait until my husband is out of town b/c he hates them) even though often I am critical of the plot line. (I wonder if I will just become more verbally critical when my daughter is old enough to watch them with me, or if I will start avoiding them.) My favorites are always the best-friends-realize-they-love-each-other plot…probably because it mimics the way I have always developed real feelings for a guy, including my husband!