Closet Visit

September 15, 2011

Friends, I recently found Jeana Sohn’s incredibly enticing site, Closet Visit. I’ve peeked inside nearly every single stylish closet she’s posted, and learned two very important lessons in the process. One, I love authentic glimpses into other women’s everyday lives and collections. And two, style isn’t always neat and tidy. In fact, it rarely is.

If there’s a third take-away from Closet Visit, it’s that I’d like my wardrobe to take more risks. Maybe I’ll add a few bohemian pieces to my own closet. Maybe even a ballgown skirt and feathers for daytime.

Tell me you love peeking into closets, too! And how is yours looking these days? (Mine is a between-season utter mess of disorganization at the moment.)

1 Kari September 15, 2011 at 5:50 am

My husband and I share a large walk-in closet. I’m ashamed to say how much of a mess it is right now. Cleaning, decluttering, and organizing our closet is tops on my list of things to do now that the kids are back in school.

2 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:50 am

No shame! It’s a busy time. You’ll get to it. : )

3 All Unwound September 15, 2011 at 6:03 am

We store school supplies in our closet and those boxes are still in the middle of the floor after being “shopped” for supplies. I also got down several boxes of yarn to sort. Unfortunately cleaning this closet is at the bottom of my list right now. Maybe I’ll put it on October’s list. :)

4 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:52 am

Sounds like the perfect October project.

5 Sherri September 15, 2011 at 6:27 am

Love this. Makes me feel better about my scores of hanging jewelry, old t-shirts that are still cool, etc. Thanks for sharing this.

6 stacey September 15, 2011 at 7:48 am

This site is amazing! I could get lost in it for hours! The photography is gorgeous and the women are beautiful!

7 {plum} September 15, 2011 at 7:58 am

what a great blog tip!

I love any chance to get a glimpse of ladies and how they live. To know that I share an untidy wardrobe with others some how makes the mess fun. Of course, my mess might be a tad worse than others given that my 1930′s colonial doesn’t have a closet in the MBR. sigh. I can’t be the only near-forty year old living off rolling racks and piles, can I???????

Here’s to rockin’ your closet (or non-closet) how ever you choose!

best – d

post script: don’t forget, shoulders back.

8 Christa The BabbyMama September 15, 2011 at 9:16 am

That cabinet in the first pic is AMAZING!

9 hyzen September 15, 2011 at 9:18 am

I’m so glad you posted this! I found the blog a couple months ago and loved it, then lost the link and couldn’t find it again! Thanks!

10 Ale September 15, 2011 at 9:26 am

Ah what a nice website! I think we women are all so curious about other women’s clothes, shoes, jewelery. Probably because it’s the most intimate part of our house, and reflects what we are.
But, Gabrielle, don’t forget we’re still waiting to see your room at La Cressonni√®re, and your closet, too!

11 Jenny September 15, 2011 at 9:30 am

Would you please be able to provide the link to the person wearing the fabulous white ensemble sitting outside on the table?? I couldn’t find it on the site. I love that skirt and top and would love to find out more about them!!

12 Andrea@Fancy That! September 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

How fun! Typically I’m a mish-mash of whatever I happen to like at the moment, but Imy closet is starting to look less like it belongs to someone with multiple personalities.

13 Adventures In babywearing September 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Love this! Mine is in-between and on backs of chairs, but hoping to add more color, less black. :)

Steph

14 Marginamia September 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Long time lurker-turned-commenter, here. You have an amazingly lovely blog!

I love Closet Visit!!! I just did a profile of it on my blog not too long ago, focusing on the names of these lovely women (in addition to their closets, of course!) I lover her food blog, and art, too! So inspiring!

15 bdaiss September 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Wow! Fascinating. Also makes me long for a larger closet…along with better clothes to fill it (or maybe just a stylist to show me how to better wear my stuff)! Cleaning out my closet and getting rid of stuff I don’t wear any more is on my list for this weekend. It’s gotten rather pathetic. I’m one of those who puts stuff in totes for the “what if” – the “what if” that never seems to come but the totes never seem to go! It’s time for them to go.

16 Kristin September 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Thank you – this was a really good post – love looking at everything!

17 fanfamfun September 16, 2011 at 3:35 am

it is so much fun to look into closets. wish mine was larger! i am really jealous of that last picture. look at the SPACE!!!

18 Kathleen September 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

My closet is an utter nightmare, but that doesn’t prevent me from loving closet visit. It really is addicting.

19 joslyn September 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm

i love closet visit!! one of my all-time faves!
xo

20 Lola October 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m secretly incredibly nosy – and closets are no exception! (When I was little I used to pretend to need the toilet in friend’s houses, just so I could check out all of their bedrooms …) For me, it feels so glamorous to have clothes and accessories just draped over chairs, lamps et cetera, rather than all neatly tidied away.