Cereal Milk

September 14, 2011

Ever since I read about David Chang’s cereal milk in September’s Elle, I’ve been dying to give the kids’ milk and cookies a makeover.

David Chang is the owner of Momofuku Milk Bar in New York. I love how his mind works. Besides his cereal milk infused with corn flakes, he sells fanciful flavors of soft-serve ice cream like Cap’n Crunch, Lucky Charms, and Fruity Pebbles. The cereal milk seems easy enough to make; Martha showed us exactly how to do it a few years ago. For the more adventuresome out there, these are the simplest instructions I’ve found for making the cereal milk ice cream.

Growing up, my mom made sure our house was a no-sugar-cereal-zone. Predictably, as soon as I moved away to college and started buying my own food, Apple Jacks were a staple in my diet. : ) Does cold cereal conjure of any memories of your own?

1 Jamie September 14, 2011 at 4:32 am

so funny to wake up at 3am to put my toddler son back to bed, not be able to fall back to sleep, and come out to my computer with a bowl of cereal, click on google reader, and this is the first post that pops up! as i take my first bite of “Oh’s”, the title says “cereal milk” lol :) which i’ve never heard of, but i guess drink in some form about twice a day ;) i’m super-curious how this tastes – must try it! thanks for the link to the recipe :)

2 Design Mom September 14, 2011 at 4:53 am

Love coincidences like that! I think it’s a sign that you should try the recipe.

3 Kristina September 14, 2011 at 4:39 am

When I was in the Navy, every time we pulled into port, I would race to the commissary to get a big box of Cap’n Crunch. Then, I would proceed to eat the entire thing in about two days. (Don’t tell my kids.) Now, I limit my, and my children’s, intake of cereal to one bowl a day.

4 Design Mom September 14, 2011 at 4:53 am

I can totally relate to that! Downing a box of sugar cereal over 1 or 2 days is exactly that sort of thing I would do.

5 Kt September 14, 2011 at 4:55 am

A dear friend cooked me the cereal milk pannacotta from the Momofuku cookbook – it’s simultaneously decadent and comforting.

6 Starr September 14, 2011 at 6:02 am

My mom allowed us each one box of sugar cereal a year. We’d spend forever in the cereal aisle debating what treat we’d pick.

7 Damaris @KitchenCorners September 14, 2011 at 6:56 am

Love David Chang. Harvad did a special class called Science and Cooking and they uploaded all the lectures on YouTube (Thank you Harvard). My favorite was the one about Molecular Gastronomy with David Chang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fipglrz0g it’s a great video to watch.

8 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:35 am

Great link, Damaris. Thank you!

9 Meghan O'C September 14, 2011 at 7:20 am

The idea of cereal milk ice cream totally blows my mind. It combines my two favorite things. It had never even crossed my mind that these two amazing things could be combined. Now, I must try it! (Unfortunately, I probably will not be in New York anytime soon. Until I can get back to New York, I will have to settle for making cereal milk at home.)

10 Andrea@Fancy That! September 14, 2011 at 7:26 am

Confession: About once a week my husband and I eat cold cereal for dinner. And it’s usually something naughty like peanut-butter crunch.

11 barchbo September 14, 2011 at 7:30 am

Oddly, I loathe cereal. Except when I was pregnant, I could not eat enough of it! I feel like there is a whole subculture of cereal lovers (basically, the whole world minus me) so I love reading about it. David Chang rocks, so if he makes it – I would try it for sure!

Cereal boxes fascinate me. So many kinds! So many flavors! So many improvements!

12 Summer September 14, 2011 at 7:43 am

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I lived (not kidding) on Cocoa Pebbles and a few others growing up. Would I raise my kids that way, no, but I still have sugar cereal in my cabinets at all times.

I also still peel the crust off of my bread….and I’m almost 30…..and I’ve been busted by the CEO of my workplace while I was doing that.

I’ve had many talks to my mother about my upbringing, hahahahaha.

13 whitneyingram September 14, 2011 at 8:08 am

As I type this, I am eating cold cereal. Honey Nut Cheerios with bananas.

14 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:37 am

Sounds yummy. Fix me a bowl, please.

15 Sarah September 14, 2011 at 8:32 am

I love cold cereal, but the flavored milk at the bottom is my least favorite part. I drink it only because I don’t want to waste it.

16 Anne September 15, 2011 at 8:18 am

I’m totally with you. I actually think it’s kinda yucky, but I also drink it anyway. :-P

17 DENISE. September 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

I love cereal! Have you tried Kashi’s Honey Sunshine? Oh my, it’s so good! Like a healthy version of Capn’ Crunch. But this milk concoction sounds awful to me! I’ll stick with the real thing. Thanks for sharing!

18 Alicia M! September 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

As a child I remember being so excited for Honeynut Cheerios. My excitement soon faded when I was told we would be mixing the delicious “sugar cereal” with regular old Cheerios. Boo.

19 Amanda September 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

Once in awhile, as a treat, my mom would buy me and my brother Lucky Charms. I ALWAYS picked out the marshmallows and ate those first. Then I wouldn’t eat the rest of the cereal because I’d complain there were no marshmallows left. My mom always said she wouldn’t buy it again, but eventually… the sugary cereal would be discovered in the pantry again.

20 bdaiss September 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

We were only allowed cereal where sugar was not in the first 4 ingredients. So we lived on raisin bran and cheerios. Just like you, when I hit college Frosted Flakes became the staple of my pantry. Funny though, my Aunt always had her cabinet FULL of sugar cereal. Special treat for us, but I remember being floored watching my cousins add even more sugar to it! And yes, cereal milk is my favorite. Definitely will be trying out those ice cream recipes.

21 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:34 am

Ugh! Adding sugar to sugar cereal? I would have been stunned.

22 aimee @ smilingmama September 14, 2011 at 10:24 am

Growing up our family vacation each year was “Camp” with my extended family of 18 cousins and numerous aunts and uncles. My grandparents rented out a church camp or big hunting lodge to house us all. Each family would bring groceries and my brother, sister and I were each allowed to choose a cereal — any box at all! — that we wanted to take. It was the only week of the year that we got sugar cereal and for years and years I ALWAYS chose Lucky Charms!

23 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag September 14, 2011 at 10:34 am

I was never allowed sugar cereal growing up, so when I went to college, I started on one end of the cereal aisle and methodically worked my way on down….this is what happens when one is never allowed to have something! The irony? Once my little bro came along (we’re 10 yrs apart), he could have whatever he wanted. I’ll go to my grave thinking this is unfair…. :)

24 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:39 am

We haven’t banned it at our house, but do treat it like it’s a dessert. We don’t buy it often, but when we do, we seem to eat the whole box in one sitting — after dinner or for an after school snack.

I wonder how my kids will react when they move away from home. Do you think we’ve satiated their sugar cereal cravings?

25 kimberly michelle September 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

The recipe is in the upcoming cookbook as well… it comes out on October 25th. And the “real” crack pie recipe is there as well. The one they released is NOT the same as the one they have in the cookbook.

26 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:33 am

Good to know! Thanks for the info, Kimberly.

27 Melissa September 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

I love David Chang’s restaurants. He is whimsical and creative, and I love chefs with a sense of humor. Anyway, Milk Bar is amazing. Last time I tried the cereal milk soft serve. It was surprising with every bite. The grasshopper pie is to die for.

28 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:33 am

I’ve never been to his Milk Bar, but I LOVED my meals at his noodle bar.

29 Tina Z September 14, 2011 at 11:18 am

I was not allowed to eat sugary cereals either! It was mostly Grape Nuts, plain Cheerios, or something similar for us. My dad had a secret stash of Trix that we discovered once we were tall enough to climb on the kitchen counters. Of course, in college I went right for the Lucky Charms, Trix, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Then I realized I actually liked Grape Nuts! Cold or warm.

30 Stephanie September 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I LOVE cereal, especially when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had to eat a bowl first thing in the morning or I couldn’t even keep water down. Needless to say she loves cereal and will eat it for every meal if you let her, only the sugary kind though. I have tried and they will not eat the good stuff. I don’t like the “cereal milk” at the end of the bowl though?

31 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:32 am

Crispix was totally my pregnancy cereal!

32 Kathleen September 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Oh this looks delicious. Lucky Charms will always remind me of college. Why a bunch of 20-year-olds sat around eating it for breakfast, I have no idea.

33 Portia September 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

We would bug my grandmother to buy the sugary cereals when we visited, but then she would have a fit because we never ate them. We really thought we wanted them, but they were never as great as we thought they were.

34 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:29 am

That’s so true!

35 Allie September 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I had such a similar sugar cereal experience growing up…no sugar cereal in the house (not even cheerios! They have 2 grams of sugar!) and when I left home at age 13 to go to school I just became obsessed with Captain Crunch. Now that is far too sweet for me, but I still love cold cereal (and especially the cereal milk). If there is a box in the house I cannot not eat it. Consequently, there is no cereal in our pantry most of the time!
I had not heard of David Chang’s concoctions…I am going to have to look into them!

36 Diana September 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

YIkes, as a nutritionist/dietitian, I am not a big fan of the sugar cereals. Do you know that many of the cereals we enjoyed as youngsters, are now much higher in sugar?? The companies want to entice the kids and often use tactics such as free prizes (junk mostly). The ads have also increased in this area. I am concerned that kids are eating way way too much sugar and we are still learning of the affects of this!

37 Ellen W September 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Aside, from an occasional box of Frosted Flakes, we didn’t get sugary cereal – mainly Chex, Honey Bunches of Oats, etc. I’ve never cared for the sugary stuff – didn’t even try it when I was in college. My weird cereal thing – I eat it dry without milk. Somehow I imagine it getting soggy, so I have it crunchy. I’m 33 and my mom still says it was a mistake that she let me do that as a kid.

38 NellaBean September 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm

One of my babysitters kept the milk left in her granddaughter’s morning cereal and gave it to us at lunch. Less waste I guess, but I still shudder at the thought of Frootloop milk with soggy bits and its strange color.

The same babysitter did have other strange food for her charges that I like and eat to this day – namely: mixing warm baked beans with cottage cheese. Mmmm.

39 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:29 am

Oh my goodness! The thought of soggy bits (and her granddaughter’s spit!) makes me shudder too. I’m totally dying over your story!

40 fanfamfun September 15, 2011 at 2:32 am

my sister and i used to pick out the marshmallows from lucky charms then put the cereal back in the box. marshmallows and milk! what a way to start the day! dont know how we got away with that one :) x

41 Design Mom September 15, 2011 at 6:27 am

Hah! My kids do the exact same thing.

42 Josephine September 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I was not allowed to eat sugary cereal growing up, so it was quite a treat when I went to college. Our cafeteria had huge plastic dispensers of lots of types of cereals and I usually went straight for the Cocoa Puffs. When I was feeling especially rebellious (lol) I’d have it with chocolate milk. Talk about a sugar rush…

43 Vicki September 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

When I was girl, my mom would tease me and say “Don’t talk to Vicki until she has had her cereal and apple juice” because I couldn’t function well in the morning until I’d eaten.
Fast forward 25 years. My husband more or less finds the same thing to be true. Whenever he does the grocery shopping he loads up on Raisin Bran (my favorite), buying 4 or 5 boxes because he doesn’t want to ever, ever run out.