Caramel Pears

September 29, 2011

It’s pear season at La Cressonni√®re, and I can’t wait to make these caramel pears for some of our friends and neighbors. I’m always on the lookout for simple, homemade, and epically delicious gifts to share on a whim with those I like an awful lot. Just because are two of my favorite words together.

Do you have a go-to foodie gift that makes you feel like a rockstar giver? I’ve made these a few times; they’re adorably tiny and sweet to package up, melt-in-your-mouth treasures that will make everyone in any room a little happier. I promise.

I must warn you that every single post and photo on this brilliant blog is edible and positively irresistible. You will gain three pounds just by reading it.

Image by El.

1 Sarah September 29, 2011 at 6:11 am

Yes! Every Christmas I make a batch of my mom’s caramels. In recent years I’ve added a little something to make them my own. I do feel like a rockstar when giving them 1) because everyone thinks they are really hard to make (kinda, but not really) and 2) they taste like christmas, or angels. not sure which, but just GOOD.

2 Stephanie Smirnov September 29, 2011 at 6:16 am

Oh my goooooodness….this looks divine. The image went right on my autumn-themed Pinterest board. Thanks for sharing!

3 Maria @ Busy as a Bee in Paris September 29, 2011 at 6:19 am

This looks simply delectable!

4 r8chel September 29, 2011 at 6:22 am

Mmm. Thanks for the link to the pecan/rolo/pretzel treats. They look delicious!

5 Damaris September 29, 2011 at 6:51 am

I’m so glad you featured Fresh New England. El is a sweetheart and she is super talented. All her images are amazing. Thanks for giving her the spotlight.

6 Lindsey Leon September 29, 2011 at 7:24 am

I’ll be forever grateful to you for sharing these, they look absolutely divine!!!! I can’t wait to make the pretzel treats!

xo
Lindsey

7 Reading (and chickens) September 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

I think caramel apples are a food dentists must have created, since it loosens ALL my fillings and makes me feel like I need dentures right that instant. But caramel pears? I could get behind that.

8 Ashlea Walter September 29, 2011 at 8:37 am

Those look a-ma-zing. Lucky friends and neighbors!

9 bdaiss September 29, 2011 at 9:32 am

Ooo, I love salted caramel and I love pears. These are definitely going on my to-do list. (AKA pinterest) And now you tempt me with the whole blog -I’m trying to drop some pounds here Gabby not add them! : )

10 Krystle September 29, 2011 at 9:43 am

I just visited the blog Fresh and I want to just sit here all day and go through it! I wish she had a coffee table book of her food pictures because they are fabulous! Can’t wait to have a free hour to go through it some more! Thanks for sharing =)

11 Kirsteen September 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

These look sooo nice! Perfect for the autumn. Last Christmas we made vanilla sugar for friends, put it in pretty jars with a label with ideas on how to use it :)

12 Katie September 29, 2011 at 10:18 am

Thank you for sharing that beautiful website. The fudge cake looks like it’s the perfect antidote to pms/still have wacky hormones 8 months after giving birth.

We love to make and giveaway homemade oreos at our house.

13 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag September 29, 2011 at 10:33 am

Oh my GOODNESS GRACIOUS!! Just stepped over to the Fresh site. Well. I know what I’ll be cooking from for the next few months! It’s like treat paradise!

14 Angela September 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

I did homemade marshmellows for neighbor/friend gifts for christmas last year. So easy and tasty! But everyone thought they were fancy!

15 Misty September 29, 2011 at 11:27 am

Wow, those pears look gorgeous! One Christmas I tried to make special stout breads in tin cans for gifts. They were disgusting even though they looked great. So that was a fail!

16 Daphne September 29, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’m so inspired! And…. I’m kinda wishing we were neighbors! ;)
-Daphne

17 teresa September 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm

yum- I love anything with pears. Thanks for the links.
Happy Day

18 Erin September 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

My mouth is watering. These look so yummy!

19 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com September 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Those pears look AMAZING and the “Fresh” blog is divine!! Thanks for sharing :)

20 Nicole K September 29, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Love to make plums in cognac. Super easy – plums + sugar + cognac and then do hot water canning. Unbelievably yummy over vanilla ice cream. Plus … I get to spend time making pretty labels.

21 Corrie Anne September 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Wow. Cool. Pears and plums. I’ve never even thought of anything except apples!! I love it!!

22 Marina {Yummy Mummy} September 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Those pears are stunning.

Here’s my suggestion for a fall foodie gift: Pumpkin French Macarons

Here’s my recipe:

23 Britta September 30, 2011 at 6:17 am

Thank you for sharing the Fresh site. As a New Englander, I’ve definitely missed out on her blog. Vermont Fudge Cake: I’m so there. You’ll find me in the kitchen this weekend.

24 kelleyn September 30, 2011 at 6:56 am

These look yummy, but I think I would like them even better with a layer of chocolate.. I just got down making pumpkin whoopie pies to bring as a treat for a work pary. The house smells devine. Gotta love fall!

25 Lotte September 30, 2011 at 8:31 am

wow, those pecan treats are awesome-town! I would be all over making them right this evening if only I knew where to get yoghurt pretzels… are they readily available in Normandy or do you have them shipped over? I can’t recall having seen them in the Amsterdam grocery stores (pity!).

26 Kristen E September 30, 2011 at 10:25 am

That website with the caramel pears is just TOO beautiful – no fair! ;) As for food gifts, I make a big batch of pumpkin bread (with fresh pumpkins from my garden) and give out mini-loaves. :) That, or some of my canned products – brandied cherries, apple pie filling, ginger-amaretto peach butter, etc.

27 Teresa October 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm

oh wow! This looks divine…. I think I want to try making them with my boys. What a fun twist to use pears instead of apples. Genius!

28 Kate October 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Ah, caramel. Not just for apples anymore! I love this idea, and thought you might enjoy this simple pear compote (yummy over vanilla ice cream).

And an easy hostess gift…Cranberry Nut Fudge. Super simple, you can let the kids stir in the extras (pumpkin seeds, walnuts, dried berries, etc.)

29 El October 2, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thank you for the lovely complement. The pears are quite tasty and I hope you enjoy them. Happy fall!